New level cap = 40, will not be based on gear. (Destiny)

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 14:35 (3185 days ago)

Since nobody else has posted this one yet:

The Taken Kinh Redesigns Leveling From One To Forty

"The conflation of gear and character level led to this place where your identity was determined by things outside of your control,” says creative director Luke Smith. “We don’t want to do that.”

New level cap = 40, will not be based on gear.

by CougRon, Auburn, WA, USA, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 15:25 (3185 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Big change. Think this means that we will be stuck at whatever light level we attain. No more going back down by switching to different armor.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 15:27 (3185 days ago) @ CougRon

Big change. Think this means that we will be stuck at whatever light level we attain. No more going back down by switching to different armor.

In the new video, it showed someone level up to level 36 through experience... which is just weird.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 15:31 (3185 days ago) @ CougRon

That's kind of sad. I really liked playing as a 20 with my newbie friend recently.

+1

by rellekh, PNW, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 18:03 (3185 days ago) @ Kermit

I agree. I have friends who are nowhere near as dedicated to the Destiny world who still are learning to play through the first time. I have enjoyed being able to go help without overpowering the levels my friends are still on. I will miss that.

Trying to picture you telling noobs to 'git gud.'

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 18:04 (3185 days ago) @ rellekh

It would be a really polite 'git gud.'

Just kidding of course, I've heard you tell me to git gud countless times.

Trying to picture you telling noobs to 'git gud.'

by rellekh, PNW, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 19:05 (3185 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Probably it would sound about how you sound when I ask if I'm supposed to "cap A."

You're confusing me with Bluerunner.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 19:10 (3185 days ago) @ rellekh

by rellekh, PNW, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 20:31 (3185 days ago) @ iconicbanana

If I recall, this was referenced quite a lot right around when I was first playing PvP...with you. Accident?

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 20:49 (3185 days ago) @ rellekh

If I recall, this was referenced quite a lot right around when I was first playing PvP...with you. Accident?

Uhhhh...

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 21:31 (3185 days ago) @ iconicbanana

I've been training since then.

[image]

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 22:11 (3185 days ago) @ bluerunner

Maybe they should let you dial it down temporarily

by scarab @, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 19:06 (3185 days ago) @ Kermit

if enough people ask for this then they might provide it. There is certainly a good case for it.

I don't know

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 19:12 (3185 days ago) @ scarab

In theory that's why they have the system in place where low level enemies take less damage than enemies at your level. That way you should be able to play with a lower level player without overpowering the experience for them. Of course, if they are playing against enemies above their level they will be playing with a handicap that you don't have, but as long as they are playing enemies at their level it shouldn't make that much difference.

No de-levelling is a sad. Ps4 Blue VoG B4 TTK Anyone?

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 17:05 (3185 days ago) @ CougRon

Maybe the PS4 gang needs to have a blue VoG party (like the 360 gang is) before TTK drops.

No de-levelling is a sad. Ps4 Blue VoG B4 TTK Anyone?

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 00:42 (3185 days ago) @ dogcow

I'd love to, but I don't have enough storage space to keep a full set of blue armor lol

Really excited for this change

by Yapok @, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 15:29 (3185 days ago) @ Speedracer513

This means gear will be more about picking the perks,stats, and looks you want. No longer will it be about: I need this piece to get to 34 so I can do Skolas...ugh but it has strength! I dont want strength!

So how will this work with existing players?

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 15:37 (3185 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Will we all devolve back into Level 20s? Will all the existing high-level content be really difficult until we grind back up?

by TheeChaos @, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 15:42 (3185 days ago) @ CyberKN

Sounds like that might be the case.

Maybe Light level will be a deciding factor in the Trials still?

by slycrel ⌂, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 15:42 (3185 days ago) @ CyberKN

I can see 3 (easy) options.
1- we can "absorb" light from armor, making those levels permanent.
2- I think we've all been continuously gaining xp in the background and earning motes of light. I suspect there will be a max starting xp that players will have earned up to (and I bet most will have gotten there) and just start there.
3- most likely there will be the story missions where you go from 20-34 or something so everyone starts at the same place.

by rellekh, PNW, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 19:23 (3185 days ago) @ slycrel

Thought: I would find it intriguing if Bungie used grimoire scores to determine level. I wouldn't LIKE it (given my own grimoire score) but it could be interesting to see that play out. Highly unlikely, I suppose, but interesting.

Perhaps not?

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 15:51 (3185 days ago) @ CyberKN

From the editor’s note at the bottom of the article (my emphasis added):

In my hands-on time, my existing level 34 guardians transitioned seamlessly into the new system, and leveling during subsequent story missions was smooth and engaging.

+1

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 16:02 (3185 days ago) @ Beorn

- No text -

Oryx ate my light!

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 17:15 (3185 days ago) @ Beorn

From the editor’s note at the bottom of the article (my emphasis added):

In my hands-on time, my existing level 34 guardians transitioned seamlessly into the new system, and leveling during subsequent story missions was smooth and engaging.

When I first heard about the fact that armor doesn't grant you light levels anymore I thought a cool way to do it would be lore/story based. Oryx enters the system and eats all the light given by armor. It would kinda suck in some ways, but it would be kinda cool in others.

Will defense on gear be a deciding factor?

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 15:40 (3185 days ago) @ Speedracer513

- No text -

Will defense on gear be a deciding factor?

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 15:41 (3185 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I'm gonna guess that Light and defense is going to make a much bigger difference now that experience is the main factor in leveling up now.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread