One thing I love about DBO (Destiny)

by Robot Chickens, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 20:37 (3186 days ago)
edited by Robot Chickens, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 20:49

So I played a game with Nico earlier and we got to talking about music in Bungie games. Over the course of the conversation he made references to some of his favorite corollaries. I pretty much listened to this guy all day at work as a result.

My day was so much more epic. Thanks for invading my life outside of gaming DBO.

Do you all have examples of DBO doing this to you?

Dune

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 21:38 (3186 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

Earendil convinced me to read Dune. Now I'm on the 2nd book…

Dune

by marmot 1333 @, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 21:44 (3186 days ago) @ Beorn

Dune is a weird series. The first one is great, landmark, deserves all the praise it ever got.

Beyond that, it's hit or miss. Personally I like the 2nd, 5th, and 6th, although I've heard other people badmouth 5 & 6.

The Dune books written after Herbert died by his son are awful. Don't read them. Ignore them--maybe they'll go away.

Dune

by squidnh3, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 21:47 (3186 days ago) @ Beorn

Now I'm on the 2nd book…

Dune: Messiah can be a tough read. I didn't really get that one till my 3rd time through. Stick with it though, Heretics of Dune (the 5th one) is my favorite after the first one.

I'm still trying to decide whether or not to read the 7th and 8th books his son wrote. His prequels introduced me to the universe, but it's hard to live up to the originals.

Dune

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 23:31 (3186 days ago) @ Beorn

They are pretty darn good, IMHO, at least up to #5, which I think is Chapterhouse.

*bows* [Also, quick review]

by Earendil, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 23:50 (3186 days ago) @ Beorn

FWIW, I just finished the 5th book and am starting on the 6th and last, second time reading them all. I'm certainly getting more out of it as a [censored due to extreme age] than I did when I read it at 14. My thoughts are as follows:

Book 1. An awesome story with small awesome ideas, but the big ideas aren't complete yet. Worth reading if you want a good story set in a universe that hasn't been duplicated. Yet is highly realistic.

Books 2 and 3. Should be one book, as it's the same story. Finishes a longer story arc started in book 1. It's a good story arc. Not many new small ideas, but some of the big ideas are now complete. At this point it becomes awesome sci-fi in that make you think philosophical sort of way.

Book 4. zomg what a slog. I get its place in the series, and it needs to be there, but it could have been 50 pages not 400.

Book 5. Back to being a great story in and of its self, without having to delve into philosophy and sociology in order to make it worth it. Yet, you start to realize that Herbert is playing with giant sociology ideas over thousands upon thousands of years. It gets interesting again in a big way, but also makes for a good story read.

Book 6. Just came in the mail today. I remember none of this book from when I was young. I'm not positive I made it through.

Overall, I think the stopping points are the following:

• Book one, full stop. It's a complete story that you can walk away from.
  • Book three, full stop. Also a complete story that you can walk away from.
  • Book six? I might have to get back to people on this :)

Given a persons commitment to sci-fi, and how much they enjoyed the ideas presented in books 1-3, I'd suggest they keep going. My wife for example I told to read book 1 so that she understood me better, but wouldn't recommend she personally read the rest. My brother on the other hand shall be tar and feathered if he doesn't finish the series with me :)

Title list

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 23:49 (3185 days ago) @ Earendil

Just thought I'd add in the useful titles for those less familiar:

Dune

Book 1. An awesome story with small awesome ideas, but the big ideas aren't complete yet. Worth reading if you want a good story set in a universe that hasn't been duplicated. Yet is highly realistic.

Dune Messiah and Children of Dune

Books 2 and 3. Should be one book, as it's the same story. Finishes a longer story arc started in book 1. It's a good story arc. Not many new small ideas, but some of the big ideas are now complete. At this point it becomes awesome sci-fi in that make you think philosophical sort of way.

God Emperor of Dune

Book 4. zomg what a slog. I get its place in the series, and it needs to be there, but it could have been 50 pages not 400.

Actually this one is possibly my favorite. Only the 'B' story is a slog for me (the Siona story). I also think this is much more strongly linked to Children of Dune than you think it is; I can hardly imagine seeing Leto's transformation in book 3 and not want to see what it results in during book 4.

Heretics of Dune

This one I could take or leave, honestly, but book six is more comprehensible if you've read it.

Book 5. Back to being a great story in and of its self, without having to delve into philosophy and sociology in order to make it worth it. Yet, you start to realize that Herbert is playing with giant sociology ideas over thousands upon thousands of years. It gets interesting again in a big way, but also makes for a good story read.

Chapterhouse Dune

Book 6. Just came in the mail today. I remember none of this book from when I was young. I'm not positive I made it through.

Overall, I think the stopping points are the following:

• Book one, full stop. It's a complete story that you can walk away from.
  • Book three, full stop. Also a complete story that you can walk away from.
  • Book six? I might have to get back to people on this :)

Given a persons commitment to sci-fi, and how much they enjoyed the ideas presented in books 1-3, I'd suggest they keep going. My wife for example I told to read book 1 so that she understood me better, but wouldn't recommend she personally read the rest. My brother on the other hand shall be tar and feathered if he doesn't finish the series with me :)

Also worth noting you can stop after the books actually authored by Frank Herbert and skip those written by his son. No offense to him, but they are not nearly as good.

Thanks, was about to ask for one :)

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 23:55 (3185 days ago) @ narcogen

- No text -

Dune

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 11:58 (3185 days ago) @ Beorn

I'm in the middle of the 5th book. And if there is one thing I've learned from Dune is that compared to Frank Herbert, I'm dumb as shit.

One thing I love about DBO

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 21:52 (3186 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

So I played a game with Nico earlier and we got to talking about music in Bungie games. Over the course of the conversation he made references to some of his favorite corollaries. I pretty much listened to this guy all day at work as a result.

I can't hear this without visualizing Willem Defoe getting shot in slow motion. [It's not a SPOILER if you don't know what I'm talking about.]

My day was so much more epic. Thanks for invading my life outside of gaming DBO.

Speedracer, like any good pusher, gave me a taste and now I'm addicted.

[image]

I forgot about those. They are amazing.

by Robot Chickens, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 22:30 (3186 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

Ever tried Big Hunk?

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 23:00 (3186 days ago) @ Kermit

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Hunk

This stuff is delicious but will pull the teeth out of your jaw. I'd recommend the slap to eat method. Before you take it out of the wrapper, slap your big hunk on the counter/table or whatever hard surface is nearby. It'll break into little pieces you can then let dissolve in your mouth.

One thing I love about DBO

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 23:50 (3186 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

This morning, the local radio station mentioned a video of a guy recreating every dunk from Space Jam in his office, then getting fired.

I almost drove off the road laughing, convinced that it had to be Paddy

I'm extremely disappointed it wasn't Paddy

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 00:07 (3186 days ago) @ Pyromancy

But at least it means Paddy still has a job, I guess

Mothership online.

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 00:31 (3186 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

Adagio always reminds me of playing Homeworld... which reminds me I still haven't played through the rerelease/remaster set yet.

-- Steve has more games than time right now.

PS: my greatest game time-suck right now is Kerbal Space Program, and I think it was HBOers enthusing over it that got me to give it a try come to think of it.

Mothership online.

by Robot Chickens, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 06:46 (3185 days ago) @ Anton P. Nym (aka Steve)

PS: my greatest game time-suck right now is Kerbal Space Program, and I think it was HBOers enthusing over it that got me to give it a try come to think of it.

I really want to try this one out. Although I also have to play Deus Ex after hearing so many things about it from one individual.

KSP

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 16:08 (3185 days ago) @ Anton P. Nym (aka Steve)

You too? KSP has become my 2nd addiction (Destiny, of course, is my current first).

KSP

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 16:12 (3185 days ago) @ dogcow

You too? KSP has become my 2nd addiction (Destiny, of course, is my current first).

I've been thinking about buying a few games now that I finally have a PC capable of running them (yay surface pro 3!), and KSP is at the top of my list. Might have to take the plunge :)

FTL: Faster Than Light

by DreadPirateWes, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 16:16 (3185 days ago) @ dogcow

I don't think it's much like Kerbel Space Program other than being about spaceships, but I've put quite a few hours into it over the last year. Pretty fun!

FTL has a great mod community too.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 16:17 (3185 days ago) @ DreadPirateWes

Love that game.

[image]

FTL has a great mod community too.

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 17:00 (3185 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Haha, enjoy the game. But I love Kaylee's hammocky engine-room!

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 16:18 (3185 days ago) @ DreadPirateWes

I don't think it's much like Kerbel Space Program other than being about spaceships, but I've put quite a few hours into it over the last year. Pretty fun!

Ha... that's the other game at the top of my "must buy" list!

by DreadPirateWes, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 16:36 (3185 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Ha... that's the other game at the top of my "must buy" list!

FYI, it definitely doesn't need a good PC -- its on lots of best iPad strategy games lists. I play it on my PC when work is slow... turn-based games are great for work.

KSP

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 17:04 (3185 days ago) @ dogcow

[image]

-- Steve'll probably be refuelling his Duna expedition's mothership (above) in Ike orbit tonight.

KSP

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 17:16 (3185 days ago) @ Anton P. Nym (aka Steve)

Cool screenshot! I'm definitely behind you in my tech progression and places visited. I have been having entirely too much fun building and flying all kinds of crazy aircraft.

Halo got me to start the Culture Series

by electricpirate @, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 17:49 (3185 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

I just started the Culture series and I've been loving the hell out of them. I remembered Jason Jones mentioning that as one of the primary inspirations for Halo and I can see that. The AIs, the Ship names, the way the action unfolds, are all very similar.

Halo doesn't have the same utopian and sexual revolution politics, but at the core they are both giant space romps.

All hail the space romp!

+1 required reading

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 23:50 (3185 days ago) @ electricpirate

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread