Digital cross-gen Taken King (Destiny)

by FyreWulff, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 12:29 (3196 days ago)

Do we know if you can get both the last gen and current gen version of Taken King like you can the existing DLC, or are we stuck choosing a single platform?

Some answers for Last Gen users looking to upgrade

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 12:43 (3196 days ago) @ FyreWulff
edited by iconicbanana, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 12:49

Do we know if you can get both the last gen and current gen version of Taken King like you can the existing DLC, or are we stuck choosing a single platform?

As someone who recently bit the bullet and bought up from 360 to xbone, this was my experience with the folks at Microsoft:

1. Even though I "purchased" Vanilla Destiny and both expansions for "free", I still had to buy the Digital Collector's edition to actually play on my xbone. This is because there currently is no purchasing option for just the Vanilla on the xbox store; the only purchasing option to actually acquire Vanilla and play now is the digital collector's edition.

2. Without the Vanilla, you can't actually play the expansions, even though you can still get them for "free" on the xbox store. And since you have to purchase them with the Digital Collector's edition anyway, they aren't really "free".

3. If you're looking to buy up expressly to play Destiny, I'd recommend waiting. There's probably some sort of bundle coming, and if not, purchasing the cheapest available collector's edition will get you caught up with all of the current Destiny editions, which are only now available for purchase in a collector's edition. You just can't buy Vanilla anymore :/

Bottom-line: Expect to pay at least $60 on The Taken King and early versions of Destiny for next-gen if you purchase up to a next gen from a last gen.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 12:54 (3196 days ago) @ iconicbanana

As someone who recently bit the bullet and bought up from 360 to xbone, this was my experience with the folks at Microsoft:

1. Even though I "purchased" Vanilla Destiny and both expansions for "free", I still had to buy the Digital Collector's edition to actually play on my xbone. This is because there currently is no purchasing option for just the Vanilla on the xbox store; the only purchasing option to actually acquire Vanilla and play now is the digital collector's edition.

What? I didn't have to. A purchase of the digital 360 version before 1/15/15 got me the game and expansions on both platforms.

That was prior to TTK release options being announced.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 12:56 (3196 days ago) @ Kermit

What? I didn't have to. A purchase of the digital 360 version before 1/15/15 got me the game and expansions on both platforms.

Right but when did you upgrade to xbone? They pulled the Vanilla from xbox store some time after announcing the purchasing options for the Taken King (E3, basically). Vanilla isn't purchasable on xbox store anymore.

That was prior to TTK release options were announced.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 13:05 (3196 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Right but when did you upgrade to xbone? They pulled the Vanilla from xbox store some time after announcing the purchasing options for the Taken King (E3, basically). Vanilla isn't purchasable on xbox store anymore.

From the beginning I had both platforms. And if you bought everything digital on the 360 before 1/15/15, then you should have been able to download everything for free on the Xbone whenever you upgraded. See this article.

Review your purchase history and seek a refund if you qualify.

I did, Kermit. *Clarification

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 13:18 (3196 days ago) @ Kermit
edited by iconicbanana, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 13:28

From the beginning I had both platforms. And if you bought everything digital on the 360 before 1/15/15, then you should have been able to download everything for free on the Xbone whenever you upgraded. See this article.

I went through the steps on the xbox store to secure free purchase of all destiny versions for xbone when I still just had 360. There is no vanilla Destiny on xbox store now, though. It's only in bundles. You can't actually just get Vanilla Destiny without purchasing some version of The Taken King.

It's not that it isn't free; it's just that there's no way to access the free version.

I did, Kermit. *Clarification

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 13:37 (3196 days ago) @ iconicbanana

I went through the steps on the xbox store to secure free purchase of all destiny versions for xbone when I still just had 360. There is no vanilla Destiny on xbox store now, though. It's only in bundles. You can't actually just get Vanilla Destiny without purchasing some version of The Taken King.

It's not that it isn't free; it's just that there's no way to access the free version.

Here's the question: did you buy all digital content (game and expansions) on the 360 before 1/15/15? If you did you own everything on both platforms, and you don't have to pay twice. That was the deal. If you did that and you felt forced to buy something again to get access, you should contact tech support.

It took support a while to get the idea across.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 13:44 (3196 days ago) @ Kermit

Here's the question: did you buy all digital content (game and expansions) on the 360 before 1/15/15? If you did you own everything on both platforms, and you don't have to pay twice. That was the deal. If you did that and you felt forced to buy something again to get access, you should contact tech support.

I did. But the version of Vanilla you purchase for free isn't available in the store anymore. I spoke at length with microsoft support about this, and it took them a while to get it across, because I simply could not understand how something I purchased was no longer available on the store.

I'm trying to come up with a good metaphor for it. It's like I got a free ticket to a concert (Vanilla Destiny for xbox one via upgrade) on July 7th, but I didn't buy an airplane ticket (an xbox one) until July 10th, and by the time I got to the concert it had already happened. Kinda make sense? Like they just don't sell Vanilla Destiny on its own anymore, and there's no download option for it as a result.

Support was not all that helpful in trying to explain it, but I've contacted them a couple times and this is the best explanation I can make for what they've told me. Anyone else have a recent story about upgrading?

It took support a while to get the idea across.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 13:49 (3196 days ago) @ iconicbanana

I did. But the version of Vanilla you purchase for free isn't available in the store anymore. I spoke at length with microsoft support about this, and it took them a while to get it across, because I simply could not understand how something I purchased was no longer available on the store.

I'm trying to come up with a good metaphor for it. It's like I got a free ticket to a concert (Vanilla Destiny for xbox one via upgrade) on July 7th, but I didn't buy an airplane ticket (an xbox one) until July 10th, and by the time I got to the concert it had already happened. Kinda make sense? Like they just don't sell Vanilla Destiny on its own anymore, and there's no download option for it as a result.

Support was not all that helpful in trying to explain it, but I've contacted them a couple times and this is the best explanation I can make for what they've told me. Anyone else have a recent story about upgrading?

Got it. I'd also forgotten this part, which I just found in a polygon article.

"In order to redeem your new-generation copies, you'll need to sign in on a PS4 or Xbox One, as the case may be, no later than Jan. 15, 2015. Once you log in, you'll have to go to the PlayStation Store or Xbox Games Store, respectively, then add the (free) content in question to your cart and "buy" it. "

I remember this now, and I think a workaround was to log in to Xbox.com before 1/15/15 to claim it. At least I think that worked.

Sorry to keep questioning you.

It's all good Kerm, it might help others looking to upgrade.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 13:53 (3196 days ago) @ Kermit

I remember this now, and I think a workaround was to log in to Xbox.com before 1/15/15 to claim it. At least I think that worked.

I even did that, but I guess there was never a guarantee that the purchase option would persist. I think this was more of an early bird deal, and if you see anything like it in the future as an upgrader, I would jump on it early.

It's okay, it might help people in the same boat :/

It's all good Kerm, it might help others looking to upgrade.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 14:12 (3196 days ago) @ iconicbanana

I even did that, but I guess there was never a guarantee that the purchase option would persist. I think this was more of an early bird deal, and if you see anything like it in the future as an upgrader, I would jump on it early.

It's okay, it might help people in the same boat :/

Well, this is still a problem if you ask me. If you've confirmed the purchase and own the license, you should have access to that at a future date (within reason). Within one year seems within reason.

¯\(°_°)/¯

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 14:14 (3196 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

Games Store or My Games And Apps?

by CougRon, Auburn, WA, USA, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 15:33 (3196 days ago) @ Kermit

Question: Are you only looking in the Games Store for the download/install or are you searching in the "My Games & Apps"? I don't own the digital version of Destiny and I've not deleted and/or re-downloaded any of my digital stuff but under the "My Games & Apps" section if you go to Games and scroll all the way to the right there sometimes a 'Ready to Install' section with any games you own but don't have downloaded to your console. I would presume any downloads you can make would show up there. I know a couple of the Backwards Compatible titles I own from the 360 have show up for me there when they became available. It sounded to me like you've only been trying the Games Store and I think that only has stuff for sale, not necessarily what you can download.

Games Store or My Games And Apps?

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 15:46 (3196 days ago) @ CougRon

Question: Are you only looking in the Games Store for the download/install or are you searching in the "My Games & Apps"? I don't own the digital version of Destiny and I've not deleted and/or re-downloaded any of my digital stuff but under the "My Games & Apps" section if you go to Games and scroll all the way to the right there sometimes a 'Ready to Install' section with any games you own but don't have downloaded to your console. I would presume any downloads you can make would show up there. I know a couple of the Backwards Compatible titles I own from the 360 have show up for me there when they became available. It sounded to me like you've only been trying the Games Store and I think that only has stuff for sale, not necessarily what you can download.

The expansions actually appeared under games and apps once I linked my account, but Vanilla never did :/

Clarification

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 13:10 (3196 days ago) @ iconicbanana

3. If you're looking to buy up expressly to play Destiny, I'd recommend waiting. There's probably some sort of bundle coming, and if not, purchasing the cheapest available collector's edition will get you caught up with all of the current Destiny editions, which are only now available for purchase in a collector's edition. You just can't buy Vanilla anymore :/

Or you can buy the Taken King Digital Legendary edition and get access to Destiny and the first two expansions now, and Taken King will unlock on September 15.

Edit: Which apparently isn't currently available in the Xbox store... so may have to wait and see if it is available before launch.

Figured it out: purchasing The Taken King Digitally (XB1)

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, August 06, 2015, 14:51 (3195 days ago) @ Xenos

Go to this link: https://store.xbox.com/en-US/Xbox-One/Bundle/Destiny-The-Taken-King/ca85276b-8399-49d4-9bbe-426e53f17d4d

If you are not logged in to your Xbox account it will say something along the lines of "Coming Soon", now, log in to your Xbox account and you will see one of two things. If you have already pre-ordered The Taken King digitally in any form it will say it's been purchased. If you haven't, it will show it available for purchase.

They did this because you HAVE to own the previous two expansions, so it has to check and make sure you own them.

by TheeChaos @, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 14:03 (3196 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Could you not just have bought the Destiny disc for 20 dollars? then download the expansions

I didn't want a physical copy, so never considered it?

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 14:04 (3196 days ago) @ TheeChaos

- No text -

Digital cross-gen Taken King

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 13:06 (3196 days ago) @ FyreWulff

I want to know the answer to this as well.

Love to be proven wrong, though.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 22:22 (3196 days ago) @ Kermit

At this point, I think the Silence is telling. (remember that the original deal was the vanilla destiny only was doing the upgrade and they announced with some pride that they were expanding that to TDB and HoW)

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread