104 Questions Answered in 6 Minutes (Destiny)

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 17:37 (3196 days ago)

Have you guys seen this new interview with Luke Smith yet? It's pretty awesome. I lol-ed at the Paul McCartney questions.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2015/08/05/104-questions-and-answers-about-destiny-the-taken-king.aspx...

Kek.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 17:41 (3196 days ago) @ Leviathan

"Do you enjoy Sandwiches?"

"Clearly?"

This is why I love Luke Smith

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 17:45 (3196 days ago) @ Leviathan

"Will there be a plot twist?"

"Yeah, the twist is that there's a story this time..."

"Really?"

"Yeah we're trying something different"

XD

+1

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 20:16 (3196 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Seriously, Luke: never change.

+1

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 21:58 (3196 days ago) @ stabbim

Yep. Thanks, Bungie, for not hiding Luke away.

+100

by breitzen @, Kansas, Thursday, August 06, 2015, 01:09 (3196 days ago) @ Kermit

Great times. My wife even thought it was funny!

Unintentional comedy?

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Thursday, August 06, 2015, 01:05 (3196 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

Funniest thing I've seen all week.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 18:20 (3196 days ago) @ Leviathan

- No text -

Way to skip fighting? Hold Sprint! hahaha

by TheeChaos @, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 18:32 (3196 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

+1

by DreadPirateWes, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 23:19 (3196 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

Best Interview

by marmot 1333 @, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 18:34 (3196 days ago) @ Leviathan

- No text -

I'll have to watch this nearly 104 times to get it all.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 18:40 (3196 days ago) @ Leviathan

- No text -

Can confirm, "Inverted" people are weird.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 20:35 (3196 days ago) @ Leviathan

Down is up and up is down? Must be Xbox folks...

Like jet-fighter pilots. So weird, right?

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 20:42 (3196 days ago) @ Korny

[image]

Default is for chumps.

It's called "pitch". I don't consider my head an aircraft.:P

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 21:15 (3196 days ago) @ iconicbanana

[image]

School'd.

Well, there's your first problem ;p

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 21:24 (3196 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

fixed

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 21:26 (3196 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

[image]

fixed

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 21:32 (3196 days ago) @ CyberKN

LOL! That's the exact photo I used to make this :)

Kellslayer's Helm says otherwise

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 21:25 (3196 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

I was gonna say ....

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 21:41 (3196 days ago) @ someotherguy

- No text -

So your head's more like a camera?

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 21:29 (3196 days ago) @ Korny

[image]

Which way would you press the tripod head to tilt it down?

Funny how the wiki compares it to pitch.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Thursday, August 06, 2015, 00:01 (3196 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Which part?

On the back side I'd press up to tilt it down, but I'd also press left to turn it right, and whatnot. You'd have to invert both axes to get consistent behavior.

On the front side I'd press down to tilt down, up to tilt up, left to turn left, and right to turn right.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, August 06, 2015, 12:48 (3195 days ago) @ uberfoop
edited by iconicbanana, Thursday, August 06, 2015, 12:59

Which part?

Ha! Probably should have been more specific:

[image]

On the back side I'd press up to tilt it down, but I'd also press left to turn it right, and whatnot. You'd have to invert both axes to get consistent behavior.

On the front side I'd press down to tilt down, up to tilt up, left to turn left, and right to turn right.

I'd never really thought about moving a camera from the lens, good point sir. I should clarify. When we're talking about Inverted controls, we're talking about rotating the camera around the x-axis (with the x axis being the horizontal axis). So with the original example:

[image]

The x axis is the middle of the image, at the pivot point of the tripod head; the z-axis is horizontally passing through it, the y-axis is vertically passing through it. I always think of the stick on a controller of a video game console like the head of a tripod, or any lever around its pivot point. When I press forward I'm rotating around that x-axis. The camera will tilt forward, panning down. With an fps, that corresponds to leaning forward, and looking down. The same would be true of pitch with a plane, although as you've mentioned elsewhere, that's where that comparison ends (unless you're doing a barrel roll).

[image]

Likewise as you've mentioned, this is all very arbitrary, as the human brain can sort all of this out for itself. I was mostly just carrying on a longstanding tradition of arguing about things of little consequence on the internet. And here we are.

Life-Long Aircraft-Head here, and proud of it. --<ô>--

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 22:11 (3196 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

No, not like jet fighter pilots.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 23:57 (3196 days ago) @ iconicbanana

For jet fighters, left/right on the stick corresponds to roll. If you imagine a physical control stick attached to the object, it would be sprouting up from the top of the aircraft. Push the knob forward, pitch down; push the knob backwards, pitch up; push the knob left, roll left; push the knob right, roll right.

With FPS controls, left/right on the stick corresponds to yaw. The hypothetical physical control stick would stick out from the front of the character's face. Push the knob left, look left; push the knob right, look right; push the knob up, look up; push the knob down, look down.

For FPS games, non-inverted creates a more consistent correspondence between vertical and horizontal behavior. Not that it really matters, as our brains don't have a huge amount of trouble fudging axis direction with some acclimation.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, August 06, 2015, 00:11 (3196 days ago) @ uberfoop

push the knob up, look up; push the knob down, look down.

Pretty much everyone I've observed holding a controller holds it like this:
[image]

How are you pushing either if those sticks up? That makes no sense.

You're controlling your character's head movement. The stick is acting like this:
[image]

+1 again, even better pics :)

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, August 06, 2015, 00:46 (3196 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Thursday, August 06, 2015, 02:49 (3196 days ago) @ bluerunner
edited by uberfoop, Thursday, August 06, 2015, 03:05

How are you pushing either if those sticks up? That makes no sense.

Up is a relative term with panel interfaces. You know what I mean; if someone tells you to press the up arrow on a keyboard that's laying flat, you wouldn't object by pointing out that there's no button popped perpendicularly out of the keyboard with its decal pointing at the ceiling. (Well, you might, but it would be a joke of the "any key" variety.)

My argument ignores the absolute orientation of the interface, but if that were actually important, then wouldn't people would have a hard time acclimating to play while sitting sideways in their seat, since left/right ought to then correspond to looking up and down? What actually seems to have a significant impact is how hand-relative or interface-relative motions are mapped to in-game response, not which direction you're holding the controller in relative to the screen.

You're controlling your character's head movement. The stick is acting like this:

And if you apply that to left/right logic, you have the character leaning their head to one side, and there would be no way of looking left or right.

(The traditional aircraft solution is to use foot pedals to control the rudder for yaw. Might be interesting to see how an FPS game would feel with "actual" aircraft controls...)

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, August 06, 2015, 04:29 (3196 days ago) @ uberfoop

(The traditional aircraft solution is to use foot pedals to control the rudder for yaw. Might be interesting to see how an FPS game would feel with "actual" aircraft controls...)

Probably a bit more immersive, since the aim actually relies on body movement and not head movement.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 21:04 (3196 days ago) @ Korny

Do you hold your controller vertically when you play? If not, then there isn't an "up" or "down" for the sticks. Just forward and backwards.

[image]

+1

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 21:11 (3196 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

This... except not anymore...

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 21:20 (3196 days ago) @ bluerunner

Do you hold your controller vertically when you play? If not, then there isn't an "up" or "down" for the sticks. Just forward and backwards.

[image]

This is exactly why I always used inverted controls, for years... until one day I just stopped.

All my years of playing FPS and space combat games left me feeling completely at home using inverted controls. But for some reason, it never felt right when I played 3rd person games. So I'd always switch to "normal" while playing Gears of War or something like that.

Back in the summer of 2013 I found myself playing a bunch of 3rd person games back-to-back. The Last of Us, Splinter Cell Blacklist, Tomb Raider, plus I was still playing a lot of Gears 3. Then one day I went to play some Halo, jumped into a match and... I couldn't do it. I just couldn't go inverted anymore. It's like old age set in over the summer and I became permanently set in my ways just as I was playing a bunch of 3rd person games. I've been stuck on "normal" ever since.

On a related note, I now wonder if that's why I still have trouble aiming Nova Bombs. I spent so many years switching my control layout based on 1st or 3rd person perspective; having my view change mid game triggers an impulse in my brain to "switch directions". I get momentarily flustered every single time I fire one.

I went the other way

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 21:54 (3196 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Only played "default". Evolved to playing "default" on 3rd person games (Splinter Cell comes to mind) and inverted on FPSs. Now I can only do inverted.

Using a mouse, though, "default" is the way to go. Good thing I can barely play with a keyboard, so it won't confuse me.

This... except not anymore...

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, August 06, 2015, 00:48 (3196 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Thursday, August 06, 2015, 00:03 (3196 days ago) @ bluerunner

You left out the part where you press right on the stick and your character falls over sideways.

Worst. Video Player. Ever.

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 21:14 (3196 days ago) @ Leviathan

- No text -

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 21:54 (3196 days ago) @ someotherguy

Seriously, it won't play for more than 3 seconds straight for me. Why the hell do sites insist on using their own video players? Just use Youtube.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 21:55 (3196 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Seriously, it won't play for more than 3 seconds straight for me. Why the hell do sites insist on using their own video players? Just use Youtube.

I switched to SD and it worked fine for me.

worked perfectly on iphone

by DreadPirateWes, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 23:19 (3196 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

RealPlayer?

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 22:41 (3196 days ago) @ someotherguy

- No text -

Worst. Video Player. Ever. IMGs

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 22:53 (3196 days ago) @ someotherguy
edited by Vortech, Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 23:06

Oh man. you weren't kidding.
[image]

Flash? I don't have Flash on my systems anymore. I'm not Crazy.

Ah, well, there's always this old chestnut:

[image]

(So stupid that sites still do this)

10 answers in 100 questions

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Thursday, August 06, 2015, 01:08 (3196 days ago) @ Leviathan

Have you guys seen this new interview with Luke Smith yet? It's pretty awesome. I lol-ed at the Paul McCartney questions.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2015/08/05/104-questions-and-answers-about-destiny-the-taken-king.aspx...

I dunno... most of the answers you could have gotten from a Magic 8-Ball, and the interviewer went back to the Paul McCartney well a few too many times trying to mine some more Comedy Gold.

Aside from that, I was shocked Smith hadn't played Oni, but then I remembered how old the game was. Then I thought... does that mean he hasn't played Marathon, either?

Gulp.

For those who've wondered whether or not there is a big plan behind Destiny's story at all, Smith was pretty sure he knew what was in the Traveler, and also, somehow, completely unprepared to parry the question about whether or not it was secretly evil. Poor showing, sir.

10 answers in 100 questions

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, August 06, 2015, 01:16 (3196 days ago) @ narcogen

For those who've wondered whether or not there is a big plan behind Destiny's story at all, Smith was pretty sure he knew what was in the Traveler, and also, somehow, completely unprepared to parry the question about whether or not it was secretly evil. Poor showing, sir.

I don't agree with your interpretation. Just because he wasn't instantly ready to answer that question does not mean they don't have it planned out. He's asked question after question, most of which he can give out as facts and data, or answer with a quick and silly answer, and then he's thrown an actual, important to the story, question and he's not sure what the best thing to say is. The pause seems to me more along the lines of "Hmm... not sure what to say, should I say anything? Drop a hint? Make a joke? Ah screw it." Heck, I've been asked stupider questions than that and paused for longer than that, and it wasn't preceded by a few dozen questions before it.

Obviously I don't know if they have it planned out, but that pause doesn't tell us anything one way or the other.

Not what I meant.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Thursday, August 06, 2015, 01:26 (3196 days ago) @ Xenos

I don't agree with your interpretation. Just because he wasn't instantly ready to answer that question does not mean they don't have it planned out.

You've misread my post to make it mean the exact opposite of what it meant.

Smith's ready answer to the question about whether or not he knew what was in the Traveler indicates to me there IS some kind of a plan, rather than the opposite.

Smith's complete inability to dodge the obvious question about whether or not the Traveler is evil to me ALSO indicates there is a plan, and that Smith was ludicrously unable to deal with that question-- and you can see it on his face. He's either hilariously overacting there on purpose, or got caught out unable to decide whether he should ignore the question, or deny it. A stone-faced "no comment" would have been much, much wiser.

Ah yep, totally misread, haha

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, August 06, 2015, 01:28 (3196 days ago) @ narcogen

- No text -

"the twist is that there's a story in it" 2:16

by naturl selexion, Thursday, August 06, 2015, 01:31 (3196 days ago) @ Leviathan

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread