Surface Pro 3 (Off-Topic)

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, August 09, 2015, 21:43 (3203 days ago)

I'm currently using a really cheap few year old Dell 3000 series laptop. It was a leftover from a family member. It's pretty terrible and slow (Windows 10 is helping with that, but it's still pretty infuriating sometimes).

I'm looking to get something new within the next month or two, and am looking for a decent computer. I've been a long time fan of Macs, but my old Macbook finally bit the dust last year, and I'm sort of considering something else.

I've liked the idea of the Surface Pro tablets, and I've played with them in stores and such, but I'm not sure I could live with it as a primary computer long-term.

Anyone here have one and use it exclusively (or just extensively)?

Reviews for the newest one seem really solid, and I'm really starting to lean that way, but I'm still just not sure.

For what it's worth, I'm looking at the mid range 128gb i5 version. Seems like it's the best performance for price and I don't think I'd need the i7 anyway. It's mainly just something I'll use to dick around online, send e-mails, stream movies and music, and some light Photoshop/Manga Studio and video editing. I'm mainly concerned with the livability of it, using it as my primary PC, which, granted, doesn't see a whole lot of extended use.

I'd buy two computers instead.

by Funkmon @, Sunday, August 09, 2015, 22:02 (3203 days ago) @ cheapLEY

One cheap tablet to do stuff far away (my Asus Transformer T100 with 2GB of RAM runs Lightroom and Photoshop well enough that I processed my astronomy pictures for a research project using it exclusively) and for home, buy a more conventional computer. You get more for your money this way. Also, Windows syncs your settings and info across multiple devices.

A core i5 is way way overkill for what you want out of it, so you might as well buy two instead, and then move to the big computer when you need intense stuff.

But a Surface Pro 3, no, I don't use one. I use a much, much worse tablet and it's fantastic and does anything I want. Except the screen is too small, so I use my other computer for that kind of stuff.

Must it be a laptop?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, August 09, 2015, 22:03 (3203 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

Surface Pro 3

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Sunday, August 09, 2015, 22:17 (3203 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I had to use one exclusively at work and overall I liked it. I have to have mobility, and in most respects, it is way lighter than a traditional laptop.

However, I could not really use it on the couch like a laptop. Though, I had a docking station at my desk and that was nice too, as I had another monitor hooked up to it. Those are expensive accessories though.

The surface is a jack of all trades, master of none.

I can best say it like this: if you KNOW you want\need a laptop, get a laptop.

While the surface can do laptop stuff, it's still a tablet, and a tablet first.

I suppose I could

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, August 09, 2015, 22:23 (3203 days ago) @ Funkmon

I probably could do that. Just not particularly sure I'd want to.

I like consolidating devices and gadgets whenever possible. I don't really have room for a desktop machine, otherwise I would be considering building one. But I do like have a portable device to take on the go, or even just to lay on the couch with (or use beside me when I playing Destiny).

And I realize the i5 is more than I need, but I just look at it as some form of future proofing a bit, and it's not that expensive of an upgrade from the i3.

Also, this will save me from buying another Intuos to use with PS, which is a pretty significant cost.

I am actually pretty torn on the direction to take; I'm still not exactly sure what I want.

Must it be a laptop?

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, August 09, 2015, 22:25 (3203 days ago) @ ZackDark

For the moment, yes. I just don't have the real estate for a desktop right not. Building a desktop PC is on the list to do at some point, when I have room for one, but it'll be a while.

As a Surface Pro 3 owner..

by petetheduck, Sunday, August 09, 2015, 22:30 (3203 days ago) @ cheapLEY

..laptop.

Unless you are an artist, making art, laptops are easier to use. If you want to get a Surface, get a keyboard for it, unless you hate yourself. Even then, the need to keep the screen propped..

Also, my outdated but otherwise stable and functioning Corel photo and video software have issues (photo will crash if I adjust transparency of a layer, video program won't recognize video files).

My biggest issue is you can't set it in your lap like you can a laptop. If someone designs a nice case for it that lets you do that somehow, then I'll be pleased.

I love mine

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Sunday, August 09, 2015, 22:46 (3203 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Got the i7 version a couple months ago. It's my lone computer, so I use it for everything; video and sound editing, podcast recording, photo/paint programs, etc. Great hardware, no complaints so far!

Surface Pro 3

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Sunday, August 09, 2015, 23:14 (3203 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I don't have a Surface Pro exactly, but I do use a Dell Venue 11 for work, which is a more-or-less similar idea. As a laptop replacement, it's fine, as long as you're not writing up lengthy essays or anything. But a screen that size is not something you want to sit down to at a desk for long periods - invest in a separate monitor and a real keyboard/mouse for extended sessions at home.

That being said, I think you should consider whether you would actually USE the tablet functionality. Machines like that can work fine as a laptop replacement, but if you don't actually need the tablet part, an actual laptop ALSO works well as a laptop, and is considerably cheaper for comparable performance. And probably has a bigger screen (depending on what you get).

Surface Pro 3

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, August 09, 2015, 23:40 (3203 days ago) @ stabbim

I don't have a Surface Pro exactly, but I do use a Dell Venue 11 for work, which is a more-or-less similar idea. As a laptop replacement, it's fine, as long as you're not writing up lengthy essays or anything. But a screen that size is not something you want to sit down to at a desk for long periods - invest in a separate monitor and a real keyboard/mouse for extended sessions at home.

I'll probably never be writing anything more lengthy than a DBO forum post, so that's not an issue. I do have a decent 17" HP monitor if I felt I needed it, so that's not an issue, either. As I said earlier, I don't have room for a desk environment. Sitting at the kitchen table is about the most that could happen there, which would be fine if I need a big flat surface for whatever reason. I do have an Apple Bluetooth Keyboard that I could use (I love that keyboard!). I have a Magic Mouse, too, and I know there are ways to get that to work, but I might look at a normal mouse there.

That being said, I think you should consider whether you would actually USE the tablet functionality. Machines like that can work fine as a laptop replacement, but if you don't actually need the tablet part, an actual laptop ALSO works well as a laptop, and is considerably cheaper for comparable performance. And probably has a bigger screen (depending on what you get).

I'm not sure that I would really use it as a tablet for browsing stuff, but it is definitely the tablet style that is selling it, especially with the stylus. Not having to utilize a separate Intuos Tablet for art would be a huge plus in my book, especially as that would allow me to draw while lounging around, rather than sitting at a table.

I'm just trying to figure out if that trade off is worth whatever other compromises there are. It's seems like, yes, probably it is. Cost is the main reason for me to consider a laptop, but when you add the $250 (or more) cost of an Intuos, you're getting into the same territory, and the convenience factor might be enough to make that a good trade-off regardless.

I'll have to look into it more. I've played with them in stores and such, I wish someone I knew had one so I could play with it for a while in a normal setting, sort of "live" with it for an evening or something.

I love mine

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, August 09, 2015, 23:49 (3203 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

That's great to hear! Everyone else in here is really shooting this idea down and making me reevaluate it. Which is probably a good thing, I'm definitely pretty impulsive when it comes to buying electronics.

Must it be a laptop?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, August 10, 2015, 00:44 (3203 days ago) @ cheapLEY

For the moment, yes. I just don't have the real estate for a desktop right not. Building a desktop PC is on the list to do at some point, when I have room for one, but it'll be a while.

Yeah, I'd suggest pretty much that, but it's ok. The choice between laptop and Surface lies entirely on what exactly you're going to do with it, I guess. Given your replies so far, I don't think you'll know until you try it, unfortunately. If it is of any help, I don't see any negative points on the Surface other than price in your case.

Surface Pro 3

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Monday, August 10, 2015, 10:52 (3203 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I've used a Surface Pro (no number) for a couple of years now and am quite satisfied with it. I don't use the pen function at all, so I can't comment on now it works as a drawing pad (though the guys at Penny Arcade seem to have found a Pro 3 useful for drawing after getting some driver tweaks) but it's a good little laptop if you get the keyboard attachment and it's a great tablet without it.

Nice clear screen, fairly snappy performance, good touch controls, and I suspect it'll handle Windows 10 speech controls very well as it's a great platform for Skype. Battery life is great if doing browsing and paperwork, fair to middling if trying to do stuff that draws more horsepower, and sucks when playing AAA games but that is kinda outside the scope of a tablet's use-case anyway.

-- Steve mostly uses it for media stuff while commuting; the smaller footprint comes in immensely handy on buses and trains.

Surface Pro 3

by squidnh3, Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 19:32 (3201 days ago) @ Anton P. Nym (aka Steve)

I've also had an original Surface Pro (128 GB, i5) for about 2 years. It's been my only personal computer, although I've always had a work computer as well (which in grad school might as well been a personal computer).

I'm been very happy with my purchase. It's an incredible device if you are an engineering student, and it was unfortunate it only came around for the last year of my grad school. The active digitizer w/ pen works great, and feels basically the same as writing on a piece of paper (although apparently the Surface Pro 3 pen is a little different). I bet the wider aspect ratio of the 3 might be even better for that. The pen is super nice; for normal tasks I use it exclusively without bothering with a mouse or the touchpad. I have the original Type-keyboard as well, which I'm using right now to type this on my lap. I've never had an issue with it.

It's also nice to use with some of the Windows Store apps. Reading PDFs works really well on the Reader app, which allows you to take full advantage of the touchscreen.

It's also good for streaming and such, either installing the relevant app, or just using a browser. I tend to use the Netflix app, but watch Amazon prime right from the browser. I've also gamed a little bit on it (I think I played Portal).

The only real issue I've had is related to DPI settings: the high resolution/small screen combo requires a larger default text size, but changing the text size in normal windows is a much more complicated task than you would ever think. The default Windows method is to up the DPI to 150%, but lots of programs/websites seem to be have weird issues with that (especially websites that use their own embedded video players). I've had to go through a number of workarounds. Maybe Windows 10 has resolved this issue? It's been a while since I looked into it.

If you were an engineering student (or math or science I guess) I would say you should absolutely get it. Otherwise, it's worth checking out if you think it would fit your needs.

Surface Pro 3

by ncsuDuncan @, Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 23:11 (3201 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I've liked the idea of the Surface Pro tablets, and I've played with them in stores and such, but I'm not sure I could live with it as a primary computer long-term.

I thought the same thing before I bought my SP3. I wanted to get a tablet but also needed to replace my laptop. I figured I'd still rely on my desktop as my primary computer though.

I've had my SP3 for over a year now and it's been my main computer the entire time; my old desktop mostly just gathers dust now. If I'm doing some heavy video editing or gaming I might boot it up, but for everyday use I'll sit at the kitchen table with my Surface. Or sit on the couch with my Surface. Or in bed. Sometimes I'll watch Netflix on it while doing laundry or cooking - the built-in kickstand works wonders and it's great for spending your entire 5-hour flight to Seattle playing around with the stylus in Photoshop.

One thing I really like about the form factor is that I can carry my Surface anywhere and I don't feel like I'm lugging around some giant work laptop that needs a bag full of accessories. If I was going to a friend's place to watch football all day, I'd feel ridiculous showing up with a laptop - but an iPad wouldn't raise any eyebrows. The Surface lets me carry my main PC around disguised as a casual tablet.

As an aside, the Microsoft Arc Touch mouse goes great with this thing (as long as you get the bluetooth version). I've been using that as my main mouse for the past year, and it's perfect for the SP3 if you plan on carrying it all over the place like I do.

Hey Duncan!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, August 12, 2015, 11:46 (3201 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

I thought you might chime in.

Surface Pro 3

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, August 12, 2015, 15:08 (3200 days ago) @ squidnh3

The only real issue I've had is related to DPI settings: the high resolution/small screen combo requires a larger default text size, but changing the text size in normal windows is a much more complicated task than you would ever think. The default Windows method is to up the DPI to 150%, but lots of programs/websites seem to be have weird issues with that (especially websites that use their own embedded video players). I've had to go through a number of workarounds. Maybe Windows 10 has resolved this issue? It's been a while since I looked into it.

Yeah, Windows generally is awful with DPI scaling. Lots of apps don't actually get scaled. At best this leads to things looking weird, at worst some things are unusable. Not sure if they've done anything differently in 10.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread