Week 3 with broken A/C in Louisiana (Off-Topic)

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Monday, August 10, 2015, 17:32 (3203 days ago)

[image]

I'm just outside of Baton Rouge and nearly dead center of this map from yesterday's heat index. My brother lost AC 3 weeks ago and the part he needs has to be special ordered from the factory. We did borrow some window units, but it is still about 85F in the house and I'd say the humidity inside is probably about 50%. Current heat index is 112F. Good thing I've been mostly staying at my parents but their internet sucks. A quality connection for trials trumps heat exhaustion though so I'm back in the heat till tomorrow.

Week 3 with broken A/C in Louisiana

by bluerunner @, Music City, Monday, August 10, 2015, 17:38 (3203 days ago) @ red robber

I remember that time we had a crawfish boil at your folks' house and their a/c went out. There's nothing like having crawfish smelling sweat.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, August 10, 2015, 17:51 (3203 days ago) @ bluerunner

[image]

by Funkmon @, Monday, August 10, 2015, 17:58 (3203 days ago) @ bluerunner

I've never eaten crayfish. What does it taste like?

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, August 10, 2015, 18:03 (3203 days ago) @ Funkmon

From what I remember, more or less like shrimp, but a little more "earthy." It's been a long time, though.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Monday, August 10, 2015, 18:53 (3203 days ago) @ Funkmon

Kinda between lobster and shrimp. They have their own unique flavor. They key for me is the boil, i.e. the spices they're boiled in. You can get a lot of that flavor by sucking the heads. I like a really spicy boil. If you like spicy food, you'd enjoy it. Just don't bother unless you're in Louisiana or southeast Texas. You have to get them fresh or they're not good at all. Up here in Nashville I haven't found any that I liked.

Gator, on the other hand, tastes just like tough chicken. You're not missing much.

by marmot 1333 @, Monday, August 10, 2015, 19:03 (3203 days ago) @ bluerunner

Just don't bother unless you're in Louisiana or southeast Texas.

Add Mississippi to that list. People do crawfish Louisiana style there.

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Monday, August 10, 2015, 20:39 (3203 days ago) @ bluerunner

Gator, on the other hand, tastes just like tough chicken. You're not missing much.

I've always thought gator was pretty good. Like a fattier chicken. But then I only eat it deep-fried.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Monday, August 10, 2015, 20:43 (3203 days ago) @ Chewbaccawakka

I've always thought gator was pretty good. Like a fattier chicken. But then I only eat it deep-fried.

Well, yeah. Everything tastes better deep fried.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, August 10, 2015, 20:51 (3203 days ago) @ bluerunner

If you can ever manage it somehow, come to Iowa during the State Fair.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Monday, August 10, 2015, 21:26 (3203 days ago) @ stabbim

If you can ever manage it somehow, come to Iowa any southern state during the State Fair.

We know deep fried.

by Funkmon @, Monday, August 10, 2015, 21:28 (3203 days ago) @ bluerunner

If you can ever manage it somehow, come to Iowa any southern state during the State Fair.

We know deep fried.

We're America. We all know deep fried.

Shit, I mean even in Canada, they have Beaver tails which are fantastic, and Scotland has deep fried everything. It's hard to screw up deep frying.

Deep Fried Black Pudding and Mars Bars!

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Monday, August 10, 2015, 22:04 (3203 days ago) @ Funkmon

Not all at once. Usually.

Didn't know Black Pudding, was extremely worried for a while

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, August 10, 2015, 22:07 (3203 days ago) @ someotherguy

Thankfully, it's sausage.

Now Mars bars...

Black pudding isn't sausage

by Raflection, Monday, August 10, 2015, 22:15 (3203 days ago) @ ZackDark

It's congealed pigs blood with herbs, spices and fat.

Also, you can get battered+fried Mars bars, snickers and even icecreams all over the UK.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, August 10, 2015, 22:20 (3203 days ago) @ Raflection

I honestly don't know how that differs from a sausage.

Also, you can get battered+fried Mars bars, snickers and even icecreams all over the UK.

How the hell do you deep-fry ice cream?!

by Raflection, Monday, August 10, 2015, 22:27 (3203 days ago) @ ZackDark

Sausage is actually the meat of the animal, black pudding is only blood.

Like so: [image]

*drools*

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, August 10, 2015, 23:07 (3203 days ago) @ Raflection

- No text -

by bluerunner @, Music City, Monday, August 10, 2015, 22:28 (3203 days ago) @ ZackDark

Deep fried s'mores are the best.

Fried ice cream.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 11:55 (3202 days ago) @ ZackDark

Sammy used to live right next to a Chinese place that had the absolute best fried ice cream anywhere ever. It may or may not have contributed to how often I'd visit her, huehue...

Sadly, a shakeup in the restaurant ended with them cutting it from the menu over a year ago, and I've never gone back. Other restaurants that sell it just don't measure up; this thing was topped with shredded almonds and everything...

Was it the Ming Choy?

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 12:15 (3202 days ago) @ Korny

Sammy used to live right next to a Chinese place

Hog's head cheese my friend.

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Monday, August 10, 2015, 23:25 (3203 days ago) @ Raflection

It's basically extra parts, i.e. pig snout, ears, tongue, liver, feet, etc. Mixed with spices and cooking into a loaf. Great on crackers or as a sandwich loaf. Not great for your human parts, i.e. heart, liver, stomach, etc.

I've never had black pudding and I want to try it.

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 06:04 (3202 days ago) @ Raflection

It sounds truly disgusting. But, in the international aisle at my local supermarket, there's a pretty good section of English food that I've been trying. Unfortunately, it's limited to what can be boxed and canned.

Despite looking, I can't find a place that even MAKES black pudding near me. I'll need to look harder.

Try haggis if you get the chance too

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 06:57 (3202 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

Try haggis if you get the chance too

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 07:55 (3202 days ago) @ someotherguy

Haggis is a personal favorite, as long as it's prepared properly.

Guys! You're making me hungry.

by scarab @, Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 10:58 (3202 days ago) @ Chewbaccawakka

- No text -

Prepared properly?

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 11:46 (3202 days ago) @ Chewbaccawakka

Boil it, Fry it, Broil it, Bake it, you literally can't go wrong with Haggis.

Unless you mean the actual process of making it, in which case yeah, you gotta make sure you get good haggis. Anyone can stick organs in a sack (yum!), but the right blend of herbs is very important.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 02:05 (3203 days ago) @ Funkmon

It's not so much that you can screw it up, but truly great deep frying requires imagination. There are people whose entire existence is devoted to coming up with something new to fry at each year's State Fair.

Blue is right

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Monday, August 10, 2015, 23:23 (3203 days ago) @ Funkmon

Crawfish is/are a mix of Shrimp and Lobster, but it's really unique. It's all about the spices though. I boiled 160 lbs for my brother's housewarming party and it turned out perfect. The spice was just right, great flavor but not too hot. They peeled easy too. Two 80 qt pots going at a time took about 4 hours total.

[image]

Dem some good mudbugs der!

[image]

While you can get crawdads in several southern states, I'd agree Louisiana is king. I grew up in southwest Mississippi on the river. But even as far north as I was, it just wasn't/isn't the same. The craws are so much bigger and better down in the deep bayou areas, and the cooks know the best techniques. We never "shocked" crawfish back home. Shocking is the method of immediately cooling the pot after boiling. It keeps them from overcooking, and the sudden decrease in temp seems to draw in additional seasoning. I've also learned to throw in a stick of butter and lemons to help ease the peeling process.

I'd really like to Cajun boil a pot of lobsters! I had fresh lobster seaside in Gloucester, Mass and was kinda disappointed. Maybe we went to a bad place, but it was busy. Who knows. But if we could have cajunized it though, delicous I GAWRonTEE!

Blue is right

by marmot 1333 @, Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 20:22 (3202 days ago) @ red robber

delicous I GAWRonTEE!

This guy is legit.

[image]

Blue is right

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 20:32 (3202 days ago) @ marmot 1333

delicous I GAWRonTEE!

This guy is legit.

[image]

I think Red is a little more old school. Justin Wilson was the best.

You know me too well Blue.

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Wednesday, August 12, 2015, 07:55 (3201 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread