For rich titan fans (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, August 12, 2015, 23:20 (3211 days ago)

Does it not come with the Hawkmoon?

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, August 12, 2015, 23:27 (3210 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

Nope, Hawkmoon is Bambaland exclusive.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, August 12, 2015, 23:34 (3210 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

I love the stabbing spike on the bottom of Sjölnir

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Thursday, August 13, 2015, 12:42 (3210 days ago) @ Kermit

(Yes, we're calling it Sjölnir now). I can't wait to get my hands on that thing

Time to nitpick. Can someone who knows guns help?

by Funkmon @, Thursday, August 13, 2015, 15:05 (3210 days ago) @ Kermit

I love the figure, I love the choices of guns, too. Zombie Apocalypse is an awesome gun that I still use a lot. But something that irks me is when people call it a heavy machine gun.

I don't know about guns, but I'm under the impression that heavy machine guns basically can't be used like we use them in the game, carried around and all that stuff. That role would have to be a medium machine gun or light machine gun. I don't know many belt fed LMGs, so it's probably a medium machine gun.

Exactly what is the difference here?

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Thursday, August 13, 2015, 15:10 (3210 days ago) @ Funkmon

I thought LMGs were belt-fed from a mounted drum, while HMGs are typically fed from a separate unit?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, August 13, 2015, 15:12 (3210 days ago) @ Funkmon

I love the figure, I love the choices of guns, too. Zombie Apocalypse is an awesome gun that I still use a lot. But something that irks me is when people call it a heavy machine gun.

I don't know about guns, but I'm under the impression that heavy machine guns basically can't be used like we use them in the game, carried around and all that stuff. That role would have to be a medium machine gun or light machine gun. I don't know many belt fed LMGs, so it's probably a medium machine gun.

Exactly what is the difference here?

Bungie decided to call them Heavy Machine Guns, that's the difference :)

Honestly I was surprised when they called it that, but I suspect it has something to do with "We can't call it a Light Machine Gun and put it in the Heavy category." Which does make a certain amount of sense in the mindset that no one every uses a Rocket Launcher in real life as their main gun, they'll have a rifle of some sort, which could even include an LMG.

Strange logic from a modern day gun perspective, but it makes a certain amount of sense from a game design perspective.

They are just labeled as Machine Guns in game.

by ProbablyLast, Thursday, August 13, 2015, 15:18 (3210 days ago) @ Funkmon
edited by ProbablyLast, Thursday, August 13, 2015, 15:23

Not sure why people add the 'heavy' to it.

Hmm... you're right

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, August 13, 2015, 15:29 (3210 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

They were definitely called Heavy Machine Guns at one point though. May have just been Bungie personnel that called them that, but it wasn't the community that originally added the "Heavy"

You can even find the term in descriptions for a lot of the Heavy Machine Guns that were available during the Beta.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, August 13, 2015, 15:22 (3210 days ago) @ Funkmon

Nowadays it's caliber size. Heavy usually fire .50 BMG. Light fire smaller rifle cartriges. There's also medium, which fire larger rifle cartridges. Usually heavy are not carried by a soldier, but have been known to be used as a sniper rifle.

Man portable vs. team

by Durandal, Thursday, August 13, 2015, 16:59 (3210 days ago) @ bluerunner

I thought traditionally the heavy machine guns fired larger ammunition and were heavier, requiring a person to carry the gun, another for the tripod, and a third for extra ammo and barrels at minimum.

Light machine guns used smaller calibers, lighter materials and so forth so as to be portable by a two man team, one for the gun and one for extra ammunition.

The larger guns had better range and could fire longer before overheating, often because they had additional cooling systems like water jackets. LMGs would have a detachable barrel so you could switch out the hot one and let it cool. There was an advantage in using the same caliber ammunition as your riflemen in your LMG, your squad could share ammo back and forth as needed.

I think the break point for caliber was at the 20 mm size and up things become an auto-cannon, heavy MGs use anything larger then your common infantry calibers (7.62, 5.54, etc) and LMGs are matched to your infantry.

Given that the ammo on the Destiny MGs looks like it would not fit in an auto rifle, I would guess that they fall in the HMG category.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread