Through The Fire: How Destiny's First Year Shaped The Future (Destiny)

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, August 26, 2015, 18:29 (3159 days ago)

Great video.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, August 26, 2015, 19:05 (3159 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

Agreed, super cool

by marmot 1333 @, Wednesday, August 26, 2015, 19:07 (3159 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

Great video.

by BeardFade ⌂, Portland, OR, Wednesday, August 26, 2015, 19:55 (3159 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Watching that makes me wish I was working at a product company (or lets face it Bungie). I just love hearing about the constant iteration on a product leading to something better and better.

And they are totally right, you're only pissed off after 900 hours because you really CARE about the game. They did a good job at that.

Really good to see this level of honesty and understanding

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, August 26, 2015, 19:46 (3159 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, August 26, 2015, 20:04 (3159 days ago) @ Kahzgul

It is good to see, but I would really like to know how they didn't see it coming. The example they use about players leaving at 20 is the result of no content after that. The "forever 29" is a direct result of the way that endgame gear progression is set up. What do you expect when the raid is the only way to reach 30, and the drops are rare? It's even more surprising when they say that players were playing more than they expected. As such, they are getting even more loot drops than would have been anticipated. If players played for as little time as Bungie first predicted, they'd be 29 even longer!

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, August 26, 2015, 22:56 (3158 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It is good to see, but I would really like to know how they didn't see it coming. The example they use about players leaving at 20 is the result of no content after that. The "forever 29" is a direct result of the way that endgame gear progression is set up. What do you expect when the raid is the only way to reach 30, and the drops are rare? It's even more surprising when they say that players were playing more than they expected. As such, they are getting even more loot drops than would have been anticipated. If players played for as little time as Bungie first predicted, they'd be 29 even longer!

I fully agree with you. It is quite surprising that anyone who has played video games at all in the time since WoW first launched wouldn't understand endgame gameplay and RNG based loot scenarios. They should have seen the problems way, way far out and should have had the foresight to design around them. It's bizarre that they missed it. But I'm glad they have been paying attention since launch and seem to really have noticed where they went wrong.

Word

by scarab @, Thursday, August 27, 2015, 10:02 (3158 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It is good to see, but I would really like to know how they didn't see it coming.

ummm...

maybe they were constantly scrapping characters with each new dev build so they never actually had a character reach 30 legit.

But still, you'd think they could have worked it out from first principles. Or maybe the principles of the game kept changing right up to launch so it was too difficult for them to keep track of what the current rules were. They had stared at it for too long, through too many different itterations that they just couldn't see the game any more.

Nevertheless they really should have listened to you.

Word

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, August 27, 2015, 13:37 (3158 days ago) @ scarab

It is good to see, but I would really like to know how they didn't see it coming.

ummm...

maybe they were constantly scrapping characters with each new dev build so they never actually had a character reach 30 legit.

But still, you'd think they could have worked it out from first principles. Or maybe the principles of the game kept changing right up to launch so it was too difficult for them to keep track of what the current rules were. They had stared at it for too long, through too many different itterations that they just couldn't see the game any more.

Nevertheless they really should have listened to you.

They would have HAD to have this come up when setting the drop rates. I find it very hard to believe they went and set the drop rates arbitrarily without doing the math to see how long it would take on average to get all the armor. The math is really simple, and the drop tables easy to adjust.

Bungie is also very well known for their extensive play tests and usage data gathering. I am not sure how play tester feedback wasn't as negative as player reaction, unless they simply didn't play test correctly.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, August 27, 2015, 10:42 (3158 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Maybe playing under level was seen as a feature of hard mode. It certainly was / is for Crota and Skolas...

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, August 27, 2015, 13:40 (3158 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It's obvious to me that they didn't expect people to burn through the content as quickly as they did, nor did they expect people to be so impatient and disgruntled about when they got the NEXT thing.

It goes hand in hand with being surprised by people playing the game as much as they did. I think they expected people to enjoy the game as a game and the rewards as bonuses that dropped when they dropped (the people i know with the least complaints had precisely this attitude).

You see that goal oriented perspective here and I'm guilty myself. Most posts aren't about appreciating the game--they're about how I got or how can I get that thing I don't have. With your tagline every post from you is that.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, August 27, 2015, 14:47 (3158 days ago) @ Kermit

You see that goal oriented perspective here and I'm guilty myself. Most posts aren't about appreciating the game--they're about how I got or how can I get that thing I don't have. With your tagline every post from you is that.

That is my biggest frustration still. I want to enjoy the game as a game, and that means kicking ass in PvP with hand cannons. I can't get a certain one that looks very fun and matches my play style. It can be hard to enjoy the game as a game when it fights you.

I know I keep saying this, but they brought it on themselves by making the end game loot focused rather than experience focused. People are only doing what they are actually being asked to by Bungie and the game design. Gear IS the point of the end game the way Bungie set it up. So you or they can't really get mad when players are gear focused. Halo didn't have this problem.

by Kahzgul, Thursday, August 27, 2015, 15:04 (3158 days ago) @ Cody Miller

That is my biggest frustration still. I want to enjoy the game as a game, and that means kicking ass in PvP with hand cannons. I can't get a certain one that looks very fun and matches my play style. It can be hard to enjoy the game as a game when it fights you.

I know I keep saying this, but they brought it on themselves by making the end game loot focused rather than experience focused. People are only doing what they are actually being asked to by Bungie and the game design. Gear IS the point of the end game the way Bungie set it up. So you or they can't really get mad when players are gear focused. Halo didn't have this problem.

Fully agreed.

Also, to the earlier post about them resetting characters: That's hogwash. I worked in QA for 13 years and seeing the problems with their endgame design would have been obvious to me from the moment I looked at the design plan. RNG based loot? That's a mistake, especially when the gating off of high level content is based entirely on your access to loot.

This leads me to believe that they either :
(a) did not playtest this at all (which is obviously not true).
(b) told their playtesters to only focus on bugs, and not to comment on design (which is what you tell noob playtesters, but holy god the production test team should really have been giving copious feedback on the experience of playing), or
(c) just totally ignored the testers' feedback (most likely scenario). I've worked on games before where the design lead just didn't give a shit what the testers thought and told the coders to ignore them completely. It's a combination of putting on blinders, drinking your own kool aid, and outright disrespecting the professionalism of your test team. Now, sometimes it's systemic in terms of how the test team is allowed to interact with their co-workers - whoever set up the company just locked the testers in a room and said to put all the bugs in a database. Sometimes it's the test team lead's fault for marking opinion bugs as "NAB" (Not A Bug) and preventing the design team from ever seeing them. Sometimes it's an arrogant person in charge (Design lead, producer, powerful and important coder) who just tells everyone else to ignore the feedback because they believe in their own opinion more than that of the testers etc. There's lots of different ways it can happen and I'm not privy to how Bungie is structured so I have have no idea which scenario is most plausible (or if it's something I didn't think of to type here).

But the end result was the same: They published a game which was - at it's core - awesome, and yet was bedecked in the trappings of amateur design and poor planning. It is a beautiful game with incredibly play control and a vast and complicated setting, with really linear level design, repetitive AI, and - just as Cody says - an endgame designed around loot rather than experience.

2.0 looks like it'll improve on almost all of that, which is good, but the failures of the initial launch will always leave me skeptical of the Destiny team. There's something very wrong with how they built the initial game, and while it's clear that they listened to our feedback about it and are fixing things, it remains unclear as to whether or not they've discovered where their design and feedback systems broke down internally and were able to address those problems in order to prevent future mistakes before they every get to us, the players.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, August 27, 2015, 15:11 (3158 days ago) @ Kahzgul

2.0 looks like it'll improve on almost all of that, which is good, but the failures of the initial launch will always leave me skeptical of the Destiny team. There's something very wrong with how they built the initial game, and while it's clear that they listened to our feedback about it and are fixing things, it remains unclear as to whether or not they've discovered where their design and feedback systems broke down internally and were able to address those problems in order to prevent future mistakes before they every get to us, the players.

There IS hope though. When was the last time you had to run around Mars picking up relic Iron to upgrade your gun? Right, it's been a long time, since you don't have to anymore. It's great that they are fixing a lot of the things that are issues. Fixing isn't enough though: they should design the game moving forward to have solved and eliminated these problems beforehand. I'd like Bungie to be more forward thinking, instead of reactionary.

Again, not to sound arrogant, but I foresaw this even before the game was officially announced. I knew it off of one job posting in 2010. Bungie has the entire game and a slew of playtesters. Their predictions about the future should be better than mine. Plus they know how to make games, and I don't!

A SHOCKING Revelation!!!

by Kahzgul, Thursday, August 27, 2015, 19:47 (3158 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Bungie has the entire game and a slew of playtesters. Their predictions about the future should be better than mine. Plus they know how to make games, and I don't!

I... you just... that says... HOLY COW.

Okay, joking aside, I do know how to make games, and it kind of strikes me as wholly bizarre that Bungie's Destiny team didn't. Which is beyond weird. They have made plenty of very awesome, yet wide ranging in terms of genre and style, games. With fantastic level and encounter design, compelling stories, and very rewarding gameplay. Yet... Destiny 1.0 happened. I don't think it's unrealistic for anyone who's seriously played video games for a few years to say that they could have done a better job designing the missions, writing the script and story, and laying out the encounters. Anyone who's played any WoW endgame content should have been able to see the loot issues from a mile away, well before any of that was coded, as well as been able to point out that gating content based purely on RNG anything (in this case, loot drops) is tantamount to permanently denying at least one customer from ever seeing that content. Adding to the crazy, I used to work for Activision and I know a bunch of the people who worked on that side of the game's development and they're all really good, passionate people who would want the game to be the best that it could be, and who have the knowledge to point out those mistakes. Curiouser and curiouser.

But I tire of complaining about the past - I'm with you on hoping they have foresight in the future.

A SHOCKING Revelation!!!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, August 27, 2015, 20:41 (3158 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Bungie has the entire game and a slew of playtesters. Their predictions about the future should be better than mine. Plus they know how to make games, and I don't!

I... you just... that says... HOLY COW.

Okay, joking aside, I do know how to make games, and it kind of strikes me as wholly bizarre that Bungie's Destiny team didn't. Which is beyond weird. They have made plenty of very awesome, yet wide ranging in terms of genre and style, games. With fantastic level and encounter design, compelling stories, and very rewarding gameplay. Yet... Destiny 1.0 happened. I don't think it's unrealistic for anyone who's seriously played video games for a few years to say that they could have done a better job designing the missions, writing the script and story, and laying out the encounters. Anyone who's played any WoW endgame content should have been able to see the loot issues from a mile away, well before any of that was coded, as well as been able to point out that gating content based purely on RNG anything (in this case, loot drops) is tantamount to permanently denying at least one customer from ever seeing that content. Adding to the crazy, I used to work for Activision and I know a bunch of the people who worked on that side of the game's development and they're all really good, passionate people who would want the game to be the best that it could be, and who have the knowledge to point out those mistakes. Curiouser and curiouser.

But I tire of complaining about the past - I'm with you on hoping they have foresight in the future.

Weird. Curious. Maybe the answer is that we (and you) don't know the half of what went on during the development of the game.

A SHOCKING Revelation!!!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, August 27, 2015, 20:58 (3158 days ago) @ Kermit

Weird. Curious. Maybe the answer is that we (and you) don't know the half of what went on during the development of the game.

Or maybe we are right and Bungie messed up. They are not infallible.

A SHOCKING Revelation!!!

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, August 27, 2015, 21:22 (3157 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Or maybe we are right and Bungie messed up. They are not infallible.

Those 2 scenarios are not mutually exclusive :)

Bungie is clearly aware that they messed up in a few places. Just look at the way they're talking about vanilla Destiny in all the interviews coming out in recent weeks. It's not like it's a big sin or something. Mistakes happen all the time, Bungie is aware of it, and they're working to do much better next time around.

I think the reason some of us find vanilla Destiny a bit confounding is that from the outside, not knowing anything about what went on in the studio, some of Destiny's flaws appear quite obvious. The "we were surprised how much people played the game" statement puzzled me a bit too. Bungie are the ones who set all of the drop rates for the various activities. How could they possibly be surprised by how many raids it took most of us to get a full set of armor?

I suspect the answer to this and many other questions is simple: I believe Destiny came in way hotter than we suspected at the time. Mechanically and visually, the game is a masterpiece. But I'm starting to believe more and more that many other elements of the game were being scrambled together right up until launch.

A SHOCKING Revelation!!!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, August 27, 2015, 22:10 (3157 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

But I'm starting to believe more and more that many other elements of the game were being scrambled together right up until launch.

This is the only thing that remotely makes sense, and would explain so much.

It's troubling though. Back when Bungie was independent prior, they would not give out release dates, and release a game when it's done. Now that they are once again independent, that should be a possibility. Clearly it is not. The only difference is Activision.

A SHOCKING Revelation!!!

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Thursday, August 27, 2015, 23:38 (3157 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I think the reason some of us find vanilla Destiny a bit confounding is that from the outside, not knowing anything about what went on in the studio, some of Destiny's flaws appear quite obvious. The "we were surprised how much people played the game" statement puzzled me a bit too. Bungie are the ones who set all of the drop rates for the various activities. How could they possibly be surprised by how many raids it took most of us to get a full set of armor?

I think they knew exactly how many raids it would take.

I think they were surprised at how many players were willing to do the maximum number of possible raids (one per character per week) solely for the purpose of getting those drops.

Watching other players get drops you wanted, while you got dupes or nothing, just made people more eager to press the button, and more angry at not getting what they thought the game should be giving them.

I think Bungie envisioned people playing Raids for the experience, and then mapped the drop rates so that a certain percentage of the population would have maxed out their gear by the time the next Raid activity launched. Instead, people were burning themselves out doing Raids to get gear that refused to drop, and ragequit before they hit that point.

A SHOCKING Revelation!!!

by Kahzgul, Thursday, August 27, 2015, 23:45 (3157 days ago) @ narcogen

I think they knew exactly how many raids it would take.

I think they were surprised at how many players were willing to do the maximum number of possible raids (one per character per week) solely for the purpose of getting those drops.

Watching other players get drops you wanted, while you got dupes or nothing, just made people more eager to press the button, and more angry at not getting what they thought the game should be giving them.

I think Bungie envisioned people playing Raids for the experience, and then mapped the drop rates so that a certain percentage of the population would have maxed out their gear by the time the next Raid activity launched. Instead, people were burning themselves out doing Raids to get gear that refused to drop, and ragequit before they hit that point.

This just isn't acceptable to me. One of the "exactly" values is "never" when the RNG determines which loot drops. That means you think that Bungie intentionally designed a raid such that some percentage of their players would never be able to get enough armor to achieve max level, and that design was not a mistake?

And before you say "oh well that's so rare as to have never happened" I've only ever gotten chest and boots from VoG and it took me until the end of February running CE every week to get a 3rd armor piece for level 32 and hard mode. So yeah, RNG loot is a terrible decision and Bungie should have known better. I'm thrilled they are changing that in TTK.

Huh?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, August 28, 2015, 00:07 (3157 days ago) @ Kahzgul

And before you say "oh well that's so rare as to have never happened" I've only ever gotten chest and boots from VoG and it took me until the end of February running CE every week to get a 3rd armor piece for level 32 and hard mode. So yeah, RNG loot is a terrible decision and Bungie should have known better. I'm thrilled they are changing that in TTK.

I've got plenty of helmets from VoG...

Well, yeah.

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Friday, August 28, 2015, 00:10 (3157 days ago) @ ZackDark

It's random.

Reread post. Got it now.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, August 28, 2015, 01:16 (3157 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

- No text -

A SHOCKING Revelation!!!

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, August 28, 2015, 15:07 (3157 days ago) @ narcogen

I think Bungie envisioned people playing Raids for the experience, and then mapped the drop rates so that a certain percentage of the population would have maxed out their gear by the time the next Raid activity launched.

If that were the case, then why would Luke Smith be talking about the "Forever 29" meme and how disappointing that was to the developers. Again, he has implied that they were surprised by this situation. Your explanation would mean "Forever 29" was intentional, wouldn't it?

I swear, I mean this in a helpful way

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, August 27, 2015, 15:15 (3158 days ago) @ Cody Miller

This is going to sound like the mother of all humble-brags, but as someone who has all the gear he wants, the game really has become easier to just sit back and enjoy for me. Don't get me wrong, I've had a blast with Destiny since day 1. But looking back, a substantial amount of my playtime was spent doing activities I would not have chosen to do other than to make "progress". Sometimes this meant running missions I didn't want to run just to complete bounties, Prison of Elders just to finish my elder cyphers, etc. I never let this mindset totally dominate my time with the game, but if I'm honest with myself it was always there to a certain degree.

But now that I have everything I want, I feel like 100% free to just play the game however I want to at the moment. Long story short, I agree with you. For some of us, the loot-based end game is a double-edged sword. But if you are ever able to break out of that trap (either because you'll eventually have everything, or you reach the point where you stop caring, or the loot system changes completely), the frustration you are feeling will melt away :)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, August 27, 2015, 15:20 (3158 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

This is going to sound like the mother of all humble-brags, but as someone who has all the gear he wants, the game really has become easier to just sit back and enjoy for me. Don't get me wrong, I've had a blast with Destiny since day 1. But looking back, a substantial amount of my playtime was spent doing activities I would not have chosen to do other than to make "progress". Sometimes this meant running missions I didn't want to run just to complete bounties, Prison of Elders just to finish my elder cyphers, etc. I never let this mindset totally dominate my time with the game, but if I'm honest with myself it was always there to a certain degree.

But now that I have everything I want, I feel like 100% free to just play the game however I want to at the moment. Long story short, I agree with you. For some of us, the loot-based end game is a double-edged sword. But if you are ever able to break out of that trap (either because you'll eventually have everything, or you reach the point where you stop caring, or the loot system changes completely), the frustration you are feeling will melt away :)

I feel like Destiny 2 would be perfect if:

1. There is non-rng way to access all gear.
2. Said ways are fun in and of themselves.
3. The end game content is both numerous, and crazy in terms of design and challenge, knowing players can acquire whatever gear they need to defeat said challenges.

Part of me has always felt that not knowing what any given person will have access to makes it so your encounters have to be generic enough to cover all the bases. You wouldn't ever have something like the T&R hangar from Halo, because what if they only had an autorifle and a shotgun? The end game is where design scenarios should push the envelope.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, August 27, 2015, 16:33 (3158 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Access to all gear? WHY? Why must everyone have the same thing? Some kind of 90s kids everybody gets a trophy kind of thing? I just don't understand.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Thursday, August 27, 2015, 16:36 (3158 days ago) @ Kermit

Access to all gear? WHY? Why must everyone have the same thing? Some kind of 90s kids everybody gets a trophy kind of thing? I just don't understand.

Guns aren't trophies. They're tools.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, August 27, 2015, 16:50 (3158 days ago) @ CyberKN

Guns should feel like trophies. Because if they felt like tools that would mean, in my opinion, that you have only one tool for a situation. Bungie has tried to emphasize the "Play how you feel like playing" but that is really hard to do and make fair. Most of the emphasis on grinding to get a gun is not to get it like you are getting a trophy, but you are getting it because you NEED it for a given situation.

by Kahzgul, Thursday, August 27, 2015, 19:57 (3158 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Guns should feel like trophies. Because if they felt like tools that would mean, in my opinion, that you have only one tool for a situation. Bungie has tried to emphasize the "Play how you feel like playing" but that is really hard to do and make fair. Most of the emphasis on grinding to get a gun is not to get it like you are getting a trophy, but you are getting it because you NEED it for a given situation.

I agree with you, but in Destiny most of the guns are tools and they are basically needed because certain guns (Gjallerhorn, Thorn, Icebreaker) are SO much more powerful than their counterparts. Some guns are trophies (Monte Carlo, Thunderlord come to mind) but a large number of the guns feel "required" to compete because (a) a non-zero percentage of the competitive population has them and (b) they provide a real and tangible benefit to the players who have them.

Even the non-tool guns are needed in order to get weapon parts to fund the development of the tool guns, which turns those non-tool guns into tools and not trophies. /sadface.

I personally don't mind gun A being super powerful, but only as long as the best gun from each weapon class (and thus, each style of play) is equally powerful. Balance comes from the top down in any situation where items can get different rolls.

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Thursday, August 27, 2015, 23:24 (3157 days ago) @ Kahzgul

If you want true playstyle balance, it has to be that the top gun of every archetype has to be as good as every other, and probably the Exotics, too.

Then again, playstyle suitability make me better with a Doctor Nope than a Wolfslayer's Claw, even if the latter is better, so they just have to be roughly close.

For what it's worth, I've never felt like I needed a gun in a certain situation when I didn't have it, except a decent shotgun in PvP. Then again, I have Ice Breaker and Gjallarhorn, so maybe I should just shut up. (I've never felt Gjally was crucial to my success except in Crota, but that's just because of the tracking, and Ice Breaker was only necessary for certain tactics, not to be able to do a certain encounter at all.)

by Kahzgul, Thursday, August 27, 2015, 23:42 (3157 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

If you want true playstyle balance, it has to be that the top gun of every archetype has to be as good as every other, and probably the Exotics, too.

This is exactly what I meant. You have to balance the best case scenarios against one another, and then pass that down through the lower tiers (and maybe buff the worst ones at the bottom, independently of your top tier balance), rather than balancing "all hand cannons" and then not adjusting for that super powerful but very rare magic roll of perfection.

Then again, playstyle suitability make me better with a Doctor Nope than a Wolfslayer's Claw, even if the latter is better, so they just have to be roughly close.

For what it's worth, I've never felt like I needed a gun in a certain situation when I didn't have it, except a decent shotgun in PvP. Then again, I have Ice Breaker and Gjallarhorn, so maybe I should just shut up. (I've never felt Gjally was crucial to my success except in Crota, but that's just because of the tracking, and Ice Breaker was only necessary for certain tactics, not to be able to do a certain encounter at all.)

It's not so much "I need this gun" as "wow, gun X is dramatically more powerful and useful than anything I have." Again, Thorn in PvP or Gally in PvE are the standouts for this. People without those guns are not as competitive or effective (gross generalization) as people with them. The net result is that you feel like you need a specific weapon in order to measure up, regardless of your actual skill level. That's not the real case, but it's the easy superficial judgement that strangers will put on you when they see you.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, August 27, 2015, 17:52 (3158 days ago) @ Kermit

Now I really want Bungie to add a gun called "The Gold Star" lol

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, August 27, 2015, 17:57 (3158 days ago) @ Kermit
edited by Cody Miller, Thursday, August 27, 2015, 18:00

You would still have to earn them. Not everyone would have the same guns. Many guns could be acquired by feats of skill, not just beating bosses or doing a quest chain. For instance, maybe the Mythocalst only drops if your team does the Vault of Glass with no wipes.

My way is the anti-everybody-gets-a-trophy mentality.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, August 27, 2015, 19:35 (3158 days ago) @ Kermit

His reply covered it already, but in other words:

Every piece of gear would have a straight forward way to earn it. Not everyone would have everything, but it wouldn't be because RNG screwed them.

I'm not sure how many people would enjoy that, as we've already seen plenty of people upset over ToO gear and the Lighthouse and being "locked out" of an area and gear because they're not good enough.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, August 27, 2015, 19:39 (3158 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Every piece of gear would have a straight forward way to earn it. Not everyone would have everything, but it wouldn't be because RNG screwed them.

I'm not sure how many people would enjoy that, as we've already seen plenty of people upset over ToO gear and the Lighthouse and being "locked out" of an area and gear because they're not good enough.

Personally, I think little rewards like The Lighthouse are fine because it is just a little bonus that stands on its own. If there was another activity in Destiny that required a piece of gear to access it, and that gear could only be earned by going flawless in Trials, then that would be a problem IMO.

(Adept) Weapons

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Thursday, August 27, 2015, 19:44 (3158 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Personally, I think little rewards like The Lighthouse are fine because it is just a little bonus that stands on its own. If there was another activity in Destiny that required a piece of gear to access it, and that gear could only be earned by going flawless in Trials, then that would be a problem IMO.

The Elemental primary rewards you get from the lighthouse are acceptable for two reasons: You can get non-elemental versions of them from Brother Vance (which are identical to the Adept versions in the crucible), and you can earn other elemental primaries in different activities.

Agreed

by Kahzgul, Thursday, August 27, 2015, 19:58 (3158 days ago) @ CyberKN

The Lighthouse doesn't gate off any content. It just rewards people who get there with a small (though only of minor utility) bonus.

Still think Bungie should open lighthouse space to everyone.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Thursday, August 27, 2015, 20:07 (3158 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Just lock off the chest area if you haven't gone flawless. Put it behind a Vex force-field that's openable via a key you receive from Brother Vance.

Still think Bungie should open lighthouse space to everyone.

by Kahzgul, Thursday, August 27, 2015, 23:42 (3157 days ago) @ CyberKN

That's not a bad idea, but I honestly don't mind that it's a special locked off area.

(Adept) Weapons

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, August 27, 2015, 20:16 (3158 days ago) @ CyberKN

The Elemental primary rewards you get from the lighthouse are acceptable for two reasons: You can get non-elemental versions of them from Brother Vance (which are identical to the Adept versions in the crucible), and you can earn other elemental primaries in different activities.

In addition to everything you just said, I think the Trials Adept weapons help balance things out for those PvP players who don't raid very often, therefore have few options for elemental primaries. The elemental damage has no benefit in PvP, but at least these players have more tools to help them out with Nightfalls and other top level PvE content.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, August 27, 2015, 22:28 (3157 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Oh, I don't disagree with that at all. I think in the ideal world, no single piece of gear would lock you out of any content. There should never be the equivalent of not getting that final piece of VoG gear to hit max level.

Basically, each activity should have guaranteed rewards. But it could be more in depth than just beat activity, get rewards. Trials, again, is a great example. Do well in Trials, get a cool primary. Go flawless in Trials, get a cool elemental primary.

Imagine if VoG gave specific rewards for specific things. Rather than a drop after each part of the Vault, completing different goals would determine rewards. Just straight up beating the Vault would net you say, Praedyth's Timepiece and the gauntlets. Beating Hard would get you Found Verdict and the Helmet. Flawless Raider would get you Mythoclast. Downing Atheon in a set amount of time gets you Fatebringer. No one in your Fireteam getting marked would get you VoC. Or whatever circumstances they designed, but you get my drift. There would be a clear way to get whatever piece of gear you wanted. Would everyone get Mythoclast? No, probably not. But not everyone has it right now, so how is it worse? I'd actually prefer it, because at least I could try to get it, and if I didn't, it would be my fault for not being good enough, not because RNG screwed me again.

And you wouldn't need to get Mythoclast (or the Raid Boots, or whatever), because there would be other options available from other activities, with similar goals to meet.

contains video spoilers; audio is SP free.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Thursday, August 27, 2015, 00:07 (3158 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

"My guardian is way cooler than Master Chief"

by RC ⌂, UK, Saturday, August 29, 2015, 19:12 (3156 days ago) @ CyberKN

Have to agree with that. She's a badass.

"My guardian is way cooler than Master Chief"... Are they?

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Saturday, August 29, 2015, 21:40 (3155 days ago) @ RC

Have to agree with that. She's a badass.

That was an interesting point in the video and made me think about my Destiny character and I'd have to say in my case, I don't feel that way at all. At least not yet.

Claude made a great point in the recent Cannon fodder article about HBO that describes my investment with Destiny pretty well.

Basically, 'mystery' is a good thing. But with Destiny and my guardian, I feel like I have too much of it. In the early days of Halo, Chief was vague and I wanted to know more, to the smallest detail. The thrill of the chase and discovery were awesome. So now that they are starting to dig into his character more and leave less open for interpretation to me, the fan, I wonder how it will impact my interest in the series.

And likewise with my Guardian, I want to know more about how they fit into the world but it's an irritation, annoyingly so with Destiny. There are bits and pieces that piqued my interest a year ago, such as Toland and the character in the Thorn bounty, but everything else is just too damned open and vague to the point where it isn't interesting.

I'm hoping that the next couple of releases things really improve and I feel like my character has a purpose, but for now it is my biggest gripe about Destiny to the point where I wonder how long I can wait before I can't take it anymore and find something else to do.

"My guardian is way cooler than Master Chief"... Are they?

by scarab @, Sunday, August 30, 2015, 09:30 (3155 days ago) @ Revenant1988

And likewise with my Guardian, I want to know more about how they fit into the world but it's an irritation, annoyingly so with Destiny. There are bits and pieces that piqued my interest a year ago, such as Toland and the character in the Thorn bounty, but everything else is just too damned open and vague to the point where it isn't interesting.

I'm hoping that the next couple of releases things really improve and I feel like my character has a purpose, but for now it is my biggest gripe about Destiny to the point where I wonder how long I can wait before I can't take it anymore and find something else to do.

It is possible that this is, to a degree, intentional.

It might be part of the story that something is rotten in the state of Denmark and that there are clues in the story and the world that we were supposed to have picked up on.

It could be that Bungie are a little bit dissapointed that we have been so incurious about the world that they created. We just are not asking the questions, at least not here on DBO.

This could be because there has been so much criticism of the game and so much defensiveness that any questions are just seen as attacks on the writing and we just don't want to go there.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread