Grenades in midair and death. (Destiny)

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, August 27, 2015, 13:20 (3136 days ago)
edited by dogcow, Thursday, August 27, 2015, 13:23

Beware, hyperbolic grenade rants live here!

So, apparently grenades that have been thrown and not-yet hit anything vanish when you die? (reddit link) Is this really a thing? How did I not know this? I've always thought my lack of ability to toss a grenade as I die was due to the combination of net-code, lag, & correction of game-state and has been a point of frustration to me since I first dipped my toe in the PvP pool. Who would expect a grenade to disappear upon your death? It's confusing.

The 'death grenade' is something I miss from Halo. In my old-timey LAN-clan there's a guy who's not terribly good, except with grenades, with which he was amazeballs. If you were anywhere near him when killing him you'd have to count on jumping to avoid his green 'nade placed at your feet or dodging to the side to avoid the blue stickies. He was the post-mortem king. I haven't played Destiny with him (he'd be on xbox if he played), but I'd miss this quirk of gameplay.

I wonder, why did Bungie make that change to grenades? It's not like grenades in Destiny are anywhere near as deadly as they were in Halo, so the death grenade was inherently nerfed, why go to the effort of removing them while in midair? Why? I just don't understand.

Now leaving the dangerous grenade rant land.

Ok, rant over, I'm now typing in a calm and cool manner. I was a little shocked to find out about grenades in midair vanishing upon death. I did not know the game behaved this way; knowing about it certainly explains some of my frustrations & bewilderment. It's confusing behavior. I wonder what motivated Bungie to alter this behavior from their previous games. Any ideas gang?

edit: formatting.

Grenades in midair and death.

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Thursday, August 27, 2015, 13:24 (3136 days ago) @ dogcow

Maybe since grenades are an ability, that means that they are manifested by your guardians light so they disapear when you die? Obviously that doesn't explain why they don't after hitting the ground, but that's the best I've got.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, August 27, 2015, 13:28 (3136 days ago) @ dogcow

Wait, maybe I'm even more confused. Does this vanishing happen to all grenades, or only certain kinds?

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, August 27, 2015, 13:32 (3136 days ago) @ dogcow

Wait, maybe I'm even more confused. Does this vanishing happen to all grenades, or only certain kinds?

I've also heard that certain grenade effects, like burn, stop working when you die as well.

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Thursday, August 27, 2015, 13:50 (3136 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Some grenades become a "regular" grenade if you die just before they explode. Firebolts, Arcbolts will simply explode rather than chaining. It seems wrong.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Thursday, August 27, 2015, 14:19 (3136 days ago) @ dogcow

I'm pretty sure my tripmine grenades persist after I die... but I could be wrong.

My grenades disappeared when I died in Halo so often I guess I didn't even notice the change in Destiny.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, August 27, 2015, 14:20 (3136 days ago) @ Leviathan

I'm pretty sure my tripmine grenades persist after I die... but I could be wrong.

They absolutely do, it's only if they are midair that they disappear.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Thursday, August 27, 2015, 14:21 (3136 days ago) @ Xenos

They absolutely do, it's only if they are midair that they disappear.

Oh, right. Duh!

by slycrel ⌂, Thursday, August 27, 2015, 14:14 (3136 days ago) @ dogcow

I noticed this pretty early on in both PvP and PvE because I was one of those grenade lobbing guys in the early Halo days. Makes me sad. (Remember when we got Verdugo, who blind playtested the original Halo, to ask bungie to add priming grenades like we used all the time in TFC? Good times!)

I suspect it's a technical issue with how grenades are tied to your character. We know they are because the charge and type can change on the fly And I bet they had bugs due to a respawned guardian who has new grenades, but the remaining grenade messes up the that respawned guardian's data somehow causing problems. So they "fixed" it by removing or exploding the grenades when you die.

But that's just a guess.

That's a pretty good explanation. I bet that's it

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, August 27, 2015, 14:25 (3136 days ago) @ slycrel

- No text -

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Thursday, August 27, 2015, 14:49 (3136 days ago) @ slycrel

I noticed this pretty early on in both PvP and PvE because I was one of those grenade lobbing guys in the early Halo days. Makes me sad. (Remember when we got Verdugo, who blind playtested the original Halo, to ask bungie to add priming grenades like we used all the time in TFC? Good times!)

I suspect it's a technical issue with how grenades are tied to your character. We know they are because the charge and type can change on the fly And I bet they had bugs due to a respawned guardian who has new grenades, but the remaining grenade messes up the that respawned guardian's data somehow causing problems. So they "fixed" it by removing or exploding the grenades when you die.

But that's just a guess.

probably the same reason for dying right in the middle of casting a super, and respawning with full super.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, August 27, 2015, 14:53 (3136 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

probably the same reason for dying right in the middle of casting a super, and respawning with full super.

That's only true for 3 out of 6 subclasses.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, August 27, 2015, 14:58 (3136 days ago) @ slycrel

Verd playtested the original Halo? How did I not know that? You were much more 'in' those guys than I was. Priming grenades in TFC, man, I totally forgot about that... tho' I do love to tell these TF2 kids how 2fort USED to be with the lift that only worked for the 1 team & 'nade jumping out of that elevator shaft.

But that's just a guess.

Yeah I wondered about that too... It wasn't a problem in the Halo games tho'... but grenades are a little more tied to the player now than they were back then, but I'm a little skeptical about that one.

by slycrel ⌂, Thursday, August 27, 2015, 15:30 (3136 days ago) @ dogcow

Verd playtested the original Halo? How did I not know that? You were much more 'in' those guys than I was. Priming grenades in TFC, man, I totally forgot about that... tho' I do love to tell these TF2 kids how 2fort USED to be with the lift that only worked for the 1 team & 'nade jumping out of that elevator shaft.

I miss concussion jumping. Totally ridiculous and incredibly fun. =)

Yeah, towards the end of development he lived in the seattle area IIRC and bungie had an ad or something somewhere for volunteers to come in and playtest for a couple hours and give them feedback. I remember both of us being insanely jealous.

Also, you're entitled to your opinion even if it's wrong. :D

by slycrel ⌂, Thursday, August 27, 2015, 15:31 (3136 days ago) @ dogcow

- No text -

by Kahzgul, Thursday, August 27, 2015, 15:06 (3136 days ago) @ slycrel

But that's just a guess.

This guess makes perfect sense to me. I wonder what happens to your mid-air grenades if you disconnect or lag while it's in the air. Does it just "poof" as well? That would really back up your hypothesis (though non poofed grenades would in no way discredit the theory, either).

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread