BWU 08/27/15 (Destiny)

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Thursday, August 27, 2015, 21:53 (3158 days ago)

Wow

by Monochron, Thursday, August 27, 2015, 22:06 (3158 days ago) @ CyberKN

No more kick to orbit in Nightfall.... that totally changes how it will play.

But what WILL it do?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, August 27, 2015, 23:21 (3158 days ago) @ Monochron

Nothing? Last checkpoint?

Also, lvl40 entry bar. I hope we can get there quickly. I love Nightfall modifiers.

Heroic playlist sounds exciting and giving 3 weekly bonuses per account, as opposed to a single weekly bonus per character sounds like a step in the right direction.

But what WILL it do?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, August 27, 2015, 23:32 (3158 days ago) @ ZackDark

Heroic playlist sounds exciting and giving 3 weekly bonuses per account, as opposed to a single weekly bonus per character sounds like a step in the right direction.

Remind me who first suggested that? Oh wait, I'll bet you can guess :-)

And I'm glad they're listening

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, August 27, 2015, 23:39 (3158 days ago) @ Cody Miller

While I often disagree with your rants, some of your ideas for improvement are damn good. Keep 'em coming! :)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, August 28, 2015, 00:10 (3158 days ago) @ ZackDark

While I often disagree with your rants, some of your ideas for improvement are damn good. Keep 'em coming! :)

Bump.

http://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=86481

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Friday, August 28, 2015, 16:45 (3157 days ago) @ ZackDark

I could do without them if he's going to be an incredible douchelord and do the coy I-told-you-so when they're implemented.

Heh, "coy"

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, August 28, 2015, 19:22 (3157 days ago) @ General Vagueness

- No text -

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, August 28, 2015, 19:56 (3157 days ago) @ General Vagueness

I think Cody's well aware of how he's perceived, and those posts are just self-referential humor. They're usually accompanied by a smiley or a wink or something. I don't think there's any need to get upset.

Also, Bungie's said plenty of times that they listen for suggestions about these things. They'll probably never confirm for sure, but it's entirely possible they DID use Cody's idea. And I'm sure they've taken ideas from plenty of others in the community as well.

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Friday, August 28, 2015, 21:16 (3157 days ago) @ stabbim

I think Cody's well aware of how he's perceived, and those posts are just self-referential humor. They're usually accompanied by a smiley or a wink or something. I don't think there's any need to get upset.

I did overstate it (partly because I think "incredible douchelord" sounds funny), but it does bother me. It's really more about when he "suggests" ideas in the first place. The "I told you so" is just an added annoyance, and fuels him to keep doing it. People directly encouraging it obviously also fuels it.

But what WILL it do?

by Monochron, Friday, August 28, 2015, 02:06 (3158 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Can you do 3 per account or just 1 per account? The phrasing of "guaranteed legendary drop on your first Heroic of the week" made me think they are dropping your total amount of weekly rewards...

But what WILL it do?

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, August 28, 2015, 03:06 (3158 days ago) @ Monochron

I'd say it's more like ADDING something to that first run's drop, rather than taking something away on the second and third (since currently, there is NO guaranteed legendary).

You might be reading it wrong

by DreadPirateWes, Friday, August 28, 2015, 03:27 (3158 days ago) @ stabbim

It doesn't say guaranteed every week. It says:
"Guarantee a Legendary Engram drop from a character's first clear of a Weekly Heroic Strike"

First clear. FIRST. Not first weekly. I think it's like the Prison's chest with the guaranteed exotic upon first opening.

by cheapLEY @, Friday, August 28, 2015, 12:13 (3157 days ago) @ DreadPirateWes

It doesn't say guaranteed every week. It says:
"Guarantee a Legendary Engram drop from a character's first clear of a Weekly Heroic Strike"

First clear. FIRST. Not first weekly. I think it's like the Prison's chest with the guaranteed exotic upon first opening.

But why would they word it like that? In that sentence they still call it a WEEKLY. If there was no Weekly component to it, and it was just a new Heroic Strike playlist that works just like the other strike playlists, they wouldn't call it a Weekly Heroic Strike, just a Heroic Strike.

I'm thinking it's a purple per ACCOUNT every week.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Friday, August 28, 2015, 12:34 (3157 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Good point. Earlier, they specifically name it the Vanguard Heroic playlist.

by cheapLEY @, Friday, August 28, 2015, 12:59 (3157 days ago) @ CyberKN

Good point. Earlier, they specifically name it the Vanguard Heroic playlist.

Yeah, that whole section is confusing. They say Weekly Heroic Strikes are gone, replaced by Vanguard Heroic playlist, which sounds like it's just a new permanent strike playlist like all the others. Then they say something about rewards for the Weekly Heroic Strike, which they just said didn't exist anymore.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, August 28, 2015, 19:51 (3157 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Everyone who replied to me here made good points, and I still am not 100% sure what the answer is. I think the only thing that is completely clear is that we could use some clarification from Bungle.

But what WILL it do?

by Monochron, Friday, August 28, 2015, 12:00 (3157 days ago) @ stabbim

I'd say it's more like ADDING something to that first run's drop, rather than taking something away on the second and third (since currently, there is NO guaranteed legendary).

My point is that the total number of drops is decreasing. ONE engram is still less than THREE high level drops. What exactly the drops are are usually up to RNG but that might be changing now.

But what WILL it do?

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, August 28, 2015, 19:57 (3157 days ago) @ Monochron

Huh? there's no guaranteed high level drop right now. Perhaps you're thinking of Nightfall?

But what WILL it do?

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, August 27, 2015, 23:50 (3158 days ago) @ ZackDark

Is that what they're doing? I read it as "1 weekly bonus per account".

Rereading it...

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, August 28, 2015, 00:05 (3158 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Instead, accounts receive Legendary Marks for completing the first three Weekly Strikes

Which is kind of weird, because I'd expect playlists to continually pay out Marks...

Also:

Guarantee a Legendary Engram drop from a character's first clear of a Weekly Heroic Strike

I guess you're right.

But what WILL it do?

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, August 28, 2015, 03:14 (3158 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Actually, what it says verbatim is:

Which, taken literally, should mean that if you were to clear it once on each character you'd get 3 guaranteed legendary drops. Whereas if you cleared it 3 times on the same character, you'd only get a guaranteed legendary on the first one.

Not sure if that's actually what they meant to communicate, but that's how it's worded.

But what WILL it do?

by DreadPirateWes, Friday, August 28, 2015, 03:29 (3158 days ago) @ stabbim

Actually, what it says verbatim is:

Which, taken literally, should mean that if you were to clear it once on each character you'd get 3 guaranteed legendary drops. Whereas if you cleared it 3 times on the same character, you'd only get a guaranteed legendary on the first one.

Not sure if that's actually what they meant to communicate, but that's how it's worded.

I think you're all wrong and it's a single guaranteed legendary engram the first time you clear it. Not every week. This would be more like a mission reward.

Yikes.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Thursday, August 27, 2015, 23:59 (3158 days ago) @ Monochron

That... makes it like any other strike.

So there's no XP buff, there's no Nightfall in it anymore, since that's what the kick to orbit meant, and now it requires 40, so I'm going to have to rank up six more levels before I can do it?

Also, the Weekly gave me a chance to look at modifiers and the specific strike so I could decide whether or not I wanted to do it this week. Now it's just another playlist (like the other strike playlists I stopped playing months ago) and since I won't know what I'm getting, I'm not sure what the point is. When they added matchmaking I stopped playing Weeklies without a full fireteam. Now I guess I won't be playing them at all, since there's actually no strike to play-- just another list.

I think the curse of having mostly liked the game as it was when it came out means I'm going to be liking it less as they cave to everyone complaining about how obviously bad the game they keep playing is.

Everything you said I agree with, except heroic playlist

by Funkmon @, Friday, August 28, 2015, 00:04 (3158 days ago) @ narcogen

So there's no XP buff, there's no Nightfall in it anymore, since that's what the kick to orbit meant, and now it requires 40, so I'm going to have to rank up six more levels before I can do it?

Also, the Weekly gave me a chance to look at modifiers and the specific strike so I could decide whether or not I wanted to do it this week. Now it's just another playlist (like the other strike playlists I stopped playing months ago) and since I won't know what I'm getting, I'm not sure what the point is. When they added matchmaking I stopped playing Weeklies without a full fireteam. Now I guess I won't be playing them at all, since there's actually no strike to play-- just another list.

Yes, but I think the new playlist will be fun. It may entice us to do it when bored for variety. We'll see how it goes.

I think the curse of having mostly liked the game as it was when it came out means I'm going to be liking it less as they cave to everyone complaining about how obviously bad the game they keep playing is.

YUUUUUP.

Yikes.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, August 28, 2015, 00:16 (3158 days ago) @ narcogen

I've known you had bad taste for over a decade now Narcogen :-p

Yikes.

by Monochron, Friday, August 28, 2015, 02:01 (3158 days ago) @ narcogen

I thought most of the mechanics of the Launch endgame were pretty great. It was a long but rewarding effort to get to max level. This new "you have to be max level before you can do the endgame" just doesn't feel as rewarding. The rewards seem to be more gear and weapons, but there is something special about that level number. Being a 30 around a bunch of 29s felt a lot better than having some extra armor or weapon does.

This feeling is meaningless

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, August 28, 2015, 11:25 (3157 days ago) @ Monochron

Being a 30 around a bunch of 29s felt a lot better than having some extra armor or weapon does.

It's medal for what? That you did the grind faster than those 29s? I just don't get it, be proud of something you've done, not some arbitrary number.

Sorry for the grumpiness, I just hate hate hate the false importance of leveling.

Don't apologize, you are right.

by ProbablyLast, Friday, August 28, 2015, 11:38 (3157 days ago) @ kidtsunami

The only difference between 29 and 30 was RNG. Nothing to feel special about in the slightest.

No

by Monochron, Friday, August 28, 2015, 11:57 (3157 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Being a 30 around a bunch of 29s felt a lot better than having some extra armor or weapon does.

It's medal for what? That you did the grind faster than those 29s? I just don't get it, be proud of something you've done, not some arbitrary number.

It's the sense of accomplishment. Surely you have accomplished things before right? I get enjoyment out of accomplishing things regardless of the rate at which other do it. I'm sorry if you don't. Being around 29s reminds you that it isn't something easy to accomplish.

Yes

by cheapLEY @, Friday, August 28, 2015, 12:21 (3157 days ago) @ Monochron

I think his point is that it's NOT an accomplishment. Hell, those 29s might have played more and been better players than you, you just got lucky drops that allowed you to get to 30 before them.

I have accomplished things, getting good random drops in Destiny doesn't make the list (or even fit the definition).

Not trying to be a dick, I've just never really understood the attitude. It's the same thing as people who got Gjallarhorn being pissed when Xur sold it and saying, "Well I earned mine." No, you didn't. We literally did the exact same thing for months, you just go lucky.

It's like the levels in Halo 2 and people buying level 50 accounts, and then never playing that playlist in which they were 50 so it didn't drop. Except, actually, it's not like that at all. If you were legitimately a level 50 in Halo 2, it meant something; it meant you were amazing at Halo 2. In Destiny, being max level doesn't mean dick. It means you've put in time and got lucky.

Exactly

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, August 28, 2015, 12:35 (3157 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I think his point is that it's NOT an accomplishment. Hell, those 29s might have played more and been better players than you, you just got lucky drops that allowed you to get to 30 before them.

I have accomplished things, getting good random drops in Destiny doesn't make the list (or even fit the definition).

Not trying to be a dick, I've just never really understood the attitude. It's the same thing as people who got Gjallarhorn being pissed when Xur sold it and saying, "Well I earned mine." No, you didn't. We literally did the exact same thing for months, you just go lucky.

It's like the levels in Halo 2 and people buying level 50 accounts, and then never playing that playlist in which they were 50 so it didn't drop. Except, actually, it's not like that at all. If you were legitimately a level 50 in Halo 2, it meant something; it meant you were amazing at Halo 2. In Destiny, being max level doesn't mean dick. It means you've put in time and got lucky.

Being a higher level than someone in Destiny is akin to pointing out that you have more time than they do. That is as long as you have really basic playing ability.

Getting to the lighthouse on the other hand is an achievement. Maybe not the most prestigious, but still much more important than some insignificant measurement of how long you've been walking on the treadmill.

Walking on a treadmill is hard.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, August 28, 2015, 12:36 (3157 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Exactly

by Monochron, Friday, August 28, 2015, 12:51 (3157 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Being a higher level than someone in Destiny is akin to pointing out that you have more time than they do. That is as long as you have really basic playing ability.

Like I said to cheapLEY below, you are talking about putting someone else down for not attaining a level. I am not.

Pushing down

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, August 28, 2015, 13:11 (3157 days ago) @ Monochron

Like I said to cheapLEY below, you are talking about putting someone else down for not attaining a level. I am not.

If you were looking at a mountain you climbed, the only thing you pushed down was the mountain.

If you are walking around as a level 30, and observing 29s and feeling better, then it is reasonable to assume that some of those 29s (the ones who don't have my bizarre world view) are looking at you, and feeling bad. Even if they can't see that you're a 30, they feel bad that they're not 30 yet, and are working to resolve that. No matter what you do, if you enjoy/celebrate the leveling system, you are celebrating how bad those people feel. You may call it harmless, I think it's indicative of a deeper sadder issue with people and their value systems.

Pushing down

by Monochron, Friday, August 28, 2015, 13:18 (3157 days ago) @ kidtsunami

If you are walking around as a level 30, and observing 29s and feeling better, then it is reasonable to assume that some of those 29s (the ones who don't have my bizarre world view) are looking at you, and feeling bad. Even if they can't see that you're a 30, they feel bad that they're not 30 yet, and are working to resolve that.

Hhm I hadn't thought of that but I'm sure you're right. Some people probably do feel bad about it. Personally I saw it as either, "jeez those guys have a lot of time and energy", or "man he must have gotten a whole set of armor in one run on the Vault". I don't think I felt negatively towards them, but I certainly felt jealous a couple of times. Jealously is a good motivator though, so it worked for me.

People are different. Probably best to accept that.

by Monochron, Friday, August 28, 2015, 12:47 (3157 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Like I said, this is nothing to do with the rate at which people get rewarded in the game. The point of investment systems (and why they are so wildly popular across different games) is that there is a concrete and visible result of the progress or time you put into the game. People appreciate when they are able to complete things (even if a part of that completion relied on RNG), and that's okay. By getting to the max level at some point you have still accomplished something (by putting in time, being somewhat decent at the game, and relying on RNG), even if you personally don't appreciate that accomplishment. Your caring or not caring about what level you are doesn't diminish others' caring of what they accomplished, or it shouldn't anyway. You can not care all your want, but telling other people they shouldn't enjoy what they see as an accomplishment is just strange.

I enjoy the competition between myself and my friends in life, and I find that competition in lots of different ways. Some of those accomplishment are a direct reflector of skill; I tend to care more about those. Some of those accomplishments reflect time put in rather than skill and, while I don't care as much about those, it's still fun to care along with my friends.
What you are talking about with Gjallarhorn is people putting other people down, rather than holding themselves up. I hope I am not putting anyone's enjoyment down, I'm just explaining where some of mine comes from.

Because we do not all live in vacuums

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, August 28, 2015, 12:56 (3157 days ago) @ Monochron

Your caring or not caring about what level you are doesn't diminish others' caring of what they accomplished, or it shouldn't anyway. You can not care all your want, but telling other people they shouldn't enjoy what they see as an accomplishment is just strange.

Because you caring matters in the end. I care about that the overall market encourages this type of valuation in games.

At a direct level, you enjoying that hollow achievement that level gives you actively encourages developers to scratch that itch for you. So many settle for it and we see how many bizarre issues have arised in Destiny because they're encouraging you to play with silly rewards. This is focus taken away from making the game richer in other ways, and therefor bothers me.

At a macro level, I just think humanity would be better off discouraging celebrating insignificant achievements.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, August 28, 2015, 13:06 (3157 days ago) @ kidtsunami

At a direct level, you enjoying that hollow achievement that level gives you actively encourages developers to scratch that itch for you. So many settle for it and we see how many bizarre issues have arised in Destiny because they're encouraging you to play with silly rewards. This is focus taken away from making the game richer in other ways, and therefor bothers me.

At a macro level, I just think humanity would be better off discouraging celebrating insignificant achievements.

Everyone has different levels of achievements.

To say that any achievement is insignificant isn't right. Sure, it might be insignificant for you, heck it could be insignificant for the greater population of Destiny, but not for everyone.

Most achievements are self made. I'm all for setting the bar for in-game achievements, but to say people would be better off with getting rid "insignificant" achievements that encourages them to play a game doesn't help anyone.

by Monochron, Friday, August 28, 2015, 13:07 (3157 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Because you caring matters in the end.

Listen, we're not having an existential argument here. No one thinks that doin real good in da vidya game is going to give my life meaning in the end or whatever. You suggesting that my caring has to matter is just petty.

At a direct level, you enjoying that hollow achievement that level gives you actively encourages developers to scratch that itch for you.

Good maybe I'll get to have more fun! Wee!
But no seriously, I'm no fan of devs replacing lasting or powerful experiences with mediocre rewards. That doesn't mean I'm going to try to dislike them though. Instead I make long posts on forums like this one giving constructive (or sometimes not) criticisms.

What kind of celebration do you think I'm having over here? Because I'm pretty sure you know but you are trying to act like I am handing out participation trophies to everyone who found their ship and made it to the City. Let's drop the act. No is suggesting that.

Do you... Do you wanna talk about it?

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Friday, August 28, 2015, 15:43 (3157 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Here, come lie on this sofa and tell me all about how the nasty men enjoyed something trivial and ruined your day.

I apologise if that seems belittling, but Jeese, doesn't every achievement come out as insignificant on a macro level? Every videogame one, at least, and arguably literally everything ever because one day we will all be dead.

The achievement heat death of the universe

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, August 28, 2015, 16:02 (3157 days ago) @ someotherguy

- No text -

Bleep Bloop

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Friday, August 28, 2015, 16:20 (3157 days ago) @ kidtsunami

- No text -

You need to clear the universe's cache for it to pop.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Friday, August 28, 2015, 16:25 (3157 days ago) @ someotherguy

- No text -

You've made it to the end of the universe on easy mode

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, August 28, 2015, 18:44 (3157 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

by cheapLEY @, Friday, August 28, 2015, 13:07 (3157 days ago) @ Monochron

Like I said, this is nothing to do with the rate at which people get rewarded in the game. The point of investment systems (and why they are so wildly popular across different games) is that there is a concrete and visible result of the progress or time you put into the game. People appreciate when they are able to complete things (even if a part of that completion relied on RNG), and that's okay. By getting to the max level at some point you have still accomplished something (by putting in time, being somewhat decent at the game, and relying on RNG), even if you personally don't appreciate that accomplishment. Your caring or not caring about what level you are doesn't diminish others' caring of what they accomplished, or it shouldn't anyway. You can not care all your want, but telling other people they shouldn't enjoy what they see as an accomplishment is just strange.

Fair point. I really wasn't trying to be an ass. If that floats your boat, it doesn't affect me. Hell, I even agree to a certain extent. Getting a max level character does feel great, most of the time. It feels great in Destiny, too, but just not in the normal way (for me). In Destiny it's more of a relief, like, finally, now I can do the shit I want to do. In other games I feel like it's the direct result of my actions, the things I've done in the game world.

For me, in Destiny, it just doesn't feel like it's a result of anything I've done directly, other than putting lots of time into the game. But, it also doesn't bother me as it is. The game is fun, I would be playing regardless, so I don't care either way.

What you are talking about with Gjallarhorn is people putting other people down, rather than holding themselves up. I hope I am not putting anyone's enjoyment down, I'm just explaining where some of mine comes from.

I've never played with you, but no, you don't give that impression at all! I hope I didn't imply that. I guess maybe it's just the way I read your first post, as sort of lording your 30 over all the lowly 29s. I see now that's not what you meant at all.

by Monochron, Friday, August 28, 2015, 13:12 (3157 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Fair point. I really wasn't trying to be an ass. If that floats your boat, it doesn't affect me. Hell, I even agree to a certain extent. Getting a max level character does feel great, most of the time. It feels great in Destiny, too, but just not in the normal way (for me). In Destiny it's more of a relief, like, finally, now I can do the shit I want to do. In other games I feel like it's the direct result of my actions, the things I've done in the game world.

For me, in Destiny, it just doesn't feel like it's a result of anything I've done directly, other than putting lots of time into the game. But, it also doesn't bother me as it is. The game is fun, I would be playing regardless, so I don't care either way.

I totally agree. The first time I got Gjallarhorn is was ridiculously fun but it didn't feel like any sort of real accomplishment. I got it really early from a Nightfall and it felt like more of an accident than anything. I'm hoping that the Taken King's method of giving certain weapons for certain things can start to correct this. Honestly I'm a little worried though, that that isn't something that should be in the game anyway. I would hate if the Gjallarhorn had been gated behind a hugely challenging task because I have had so much fun using it.

I've never played with you, but no, you don't give that impression at all! I hope I didn't imply that. I guess maybe it's just the way I read your first post, as sort of lording your 30 over all the lowly 29s. I see now that's not what you meant at all.

Haha, it's no problem. Coming across correctly on the internet is always a challenge, my first post probably didn't do a very good job :)

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, August 28, 2015, 13:14 (3157 days ago) @ Monochron

Haha, it's no problem. Coming across correctly on the internet is always a challenge, my first post probably didn't do a very good job :)

I swear I'm not a hate filled person, but I'm almost just as awful to talk to in real life, to be fair.

by Monochron, Friday, August 28, 2015, 13:29 (3157 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I swear I'm not a hate filled person, but I'm almost just as awful to talk to in real life, to be fair.

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, August 28, 2015, 13:41 (3157 days ago) @ Monochron

[image]

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, August 28, 2015, 14:25 (3157 days ago) @ Monochron

What you speak of is fake accomplishment. It is performance accomplishment rather than mastery accomplishment. Instead of just time, your progression milestone should require the player to grow and learn new skills. That progression is even more satisfying!

haha I knew you'd agree with me on this one

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, August 28, 2015, 14:38 (3157 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Yup. I want that too!

by Monochron, Friday, August 28, 2015, 16:23 (3157 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

No

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, August 28, 2015, 12:41 (3157 days ago) @ Monochron

Surely you have accomplished things before right? I get enjoyment out of accomplishing things regardless of the rate at which other do it.

I don't. Much in the same way I don't feel proud of walking without falling over. If everyone is special, no one is.

Why can't you have fun without exercising some sort of superiority or dominance of someone else? Can't adventuring throughout this beautiful solar system they've put together for us be enough? It irks me that I can't be exactly the guardian I want to be because the way they get all of us to play is to hang this false carrot in front of us with the even more deplorable carrot of how great it feels to HAVE something other people don't have. Ugh. It's a pathetic feeling to engender. I don't want to have cool stuff, I want to DO cool stuff.

All hail Halo 5 arena multiplayer and it's level playing field. *Edit* AND rocket league, damn that game is solid

No

by Monochron, Friday, August 28, 2015, 12:54 (3157 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I get enjoyment out of accomplishing things regardless of the rate at which other do it.

I don't.

Okay cool. I wouldn't have guessed that, but I'm glad we each know what we enjoy.

Why can't you have fun without exercising some sort of superiority or dominance of someone else?

Woah woah. I think you are reading way too far into what I am saying. I never suggested that.

Yikes.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, August 28, 2015, 03:47 (3158 days ago) @ narcogen

Uh, except for the modifiers.

So there's no XP buff

Yes there is, you just don't have to do the nightfall to get it. That's a good thing. Much as I do enjoy nightfalls right now, what I don't enjoy is feeling like I have to do them in order to progress XP and rep and such at the rate I'm used to. The last couple of months, I've been too busy to play much, and when I do get on briefly I feel like the effort I'm putting into leveling my gear isn't getting me anywhere, because I wasn't able to be on at the right time to run nightfalls with people.

there's no Nightfall in it anymore, since that's what the kick to orbit meant

I will admit, that part seems odd. Although I guess newcomers will just see that's the name of the highest tier strike, and not think much of it.

and now it requires 40, so I'm going to have to rank up six more levels before I can do it?

Yes, but... did you think you'd just be able to jump in to an endgame activity as a 34? Also, consider this: getting to 40 now will only require leveling up via XP, as opposed to the previous method of getting to max level, which was playing RNG roulette until special armor dropped (etheric light softened that a bit, but you still had to obtain a specific item: the etheric light itself). I'd wager that getting to 40 in TTK is going to be more straightforward than getting to 34 in HoW, and definitely more so than in vanilla Destiny or TDB.

I guess. It's hard for me to get too worked up about that because I stopped playing weekly heroic strikes months ago. The time when I needed strange coins or Vanguard marks has long since passed.

The only thing I'm really not liking is the old gear not moving forward. What was the point of that whole etheric light thing in HoW if old gear was eventually going to be left behind anyway?

Most of the changes in this update just seem to be recognizing that some of us don't like feeling like we have to complete certain activities regularly in order to keep up. There was a time when that didn't bother me as much, but lately I'm realizing that Destiny (in its current form) is not a game that I can just jump into for 30 minutes a week.

Yikes.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Saturday, August 29, 2015, 02:45 (3157 days ago) @ stabbim

Uh, except for the modifiers.

So there's no XP buff

Yes there is, you just don't have to do the nightfall to get it.

If you don't need to do something to get it, it's not a buff. A buff is only relative to the baseline.

and now it requires 40, so I'm going to have to rank up six more levels before I can do it?

Yes, but... did you think you'd just be able to jump in to an endgame activity as a 34?

I didn't think I'd lose access to something I already had access to. When TDB launched all that was necessary to access the Omnigul strike was to complete Eris' quest. For weeks where the Nightfall was not the Omnigul strike, you could access it as usual.

Now, maybe it won't matter because doing the story missions in TTK will bring me from 34 to 40, and since you don't need gear drops to max out, it'll just happen. In a way that makes me sad, though, because I try not to rush through the new content and this means I have to if I don't want to miss out on a week's Nightfall.

I guess. It's hard for me to get too worked up about that because I stopped playing weekly heroic strikes months ago. The time when I needed strange coins or Vanguard marks has long since passed.

For me, too. It's become more of a ritual to do them rather than for the rewards. I've maxed out on marks on all characters and I have over 200 coins. When we have a full fireteam looking for something to do, we look at what the weekly strike is and what the modifiers are and if it seems fun, we do it. Now we'll have no way of knowing-- we'll have to just try our luck.

The only thing I'm really not liking is the old gear not moving forward. What was the point of that whole etheric light thing in HoW if old gear was eventually going to be left behind anyway?

Most of the changes in this update just seem to be recognizing that some of us don't like feeling like we have to complete certain activities regularly in order to keep up. There was a time when that didn't bother me as much, but lately I'm realizing that Destiny (in its current form) is not a game that I can just jump into for 30 minutes a week.

Well, I think you can, but that would definitely be the low side.

Yikes.

by ProbablyLast, Friday, August 28, 2015, 07:08 (3157 days ago) @ narcogen

I'm holding out hope that the Nightfall will still make you start the entire stronger over, just removing the loading screens of going to orbit and back. Also, the 30 second lockout on death (if I'm reading it correctly, I haven't run normal VoG in a while) can be an acceptable replacement annoyance.

I think they are fine as is, though.

Yikes.

by Funkmon @, Friday, August 28, 2015, 07:29 (3157 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

Also, the 30 second lockout on death (if I'm reading it correctly, I haven't run normal VoG in a while) can be an acceptable replacement annoyance.

I think they are fine as is, though.

That's a good point. Now we do omnigul fairly frequently with just instant revives. The 30 second timer will make me actually play MORE conservatively.

Yikes.

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Friday, August 28, 2015, 17:06 (3157 days ago) @ narcogen

Yeah, but now you can do that with just gameplay instead of RNG or grinding for currency to buy stuff and grinding for materials and experience to upgrade it.

Where did they say the modifiers or the strike would be random? I think it's pretty reasonable to think the strike would be random, but the modifiers?

To me, the nightfall concept is good in theory but falls down in practice, especially for solo play. Surely you've been frustrated at spending a bunch of time on a nightfall only to have to start over, and then have it happen again and again. It's not much consolation that that's only not wasted time because you might get something randomly or you can have it as part of the grind for materials and currency. Not locking it to one strike each week gives more variety, something that even people who love the game have been wanting since day one. This will get me to play the nightfall more because I could rarely get people that wanted to do it with me and I could very rarely get through it alone. (This could've also been helped with a better way to connect people, like say a voice chat option everywhere.)

Wow

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Friday, August 28, 2015, 14:13 (3157 days ago) @ Monochron

so are there checkpoints, or does it just restart the strike from the beginning? if it restarts, then i approve. going to orbit and reloading the strike was a pain.

"You have to defeat Oryx before unlocking endgame content"

by Kahzgul, Thursday, August 27, 2015, 23:35 (3158 days ago) @ CyberKN

So people who don't buy the xpac are completely screwed?

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Friday, August 28, 2015, 00:10 (3158 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I guess that means what you mean by screwed. You'll still be able to get to lvl 40 I would imagine, but you won't have access to the missions.

You can still play VOG and all other content that was originally out when the game released (and by that I mean story missions and most MP modes).

You don't have the DLC, you don't get the new stuff. It's that simple. I didn't get the last batch of DLC right away, and thus I couldn't participate in the weekly activities for a few weeks. Tough tomatoes, but fair.

The content is somewhat mutually exclusive, but it makes sense. I mean, what is the point of the DLC if you can do the things the people who bought it can? What's the incentive?

by Kahzgul, Friday, August 28, 2015, 01:03 (3158 days ago) @ Revenant1988

I guess that means what you mean by screwed. You'll still be able to get to lvl 40 I would imagine, but you won't have access to the missions.

You can still play VOG and all other content that was originally out when the game released (and by that I mean story missions and most MP modes).

You don't have the DLC, you don't get the new stuff. It's that simple. I didn't get the last batch of DLC right away, and thus I couldn't participate in the weekly activities for a few weeks. Tough tomatoes, but fair.

The content is somewhat mutually exclusive, but it makes sense. I mean, what is the point of the DLC if you can do the things the people who bought it can? What's the incentive?

I get that I won't be able to do the new stuff, but it sounds like the crucible and strikes are locked off as well.

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Friday, August 28, 2015, 01:14 (3158 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I get that I won't be able to do the new stuff, but it sounds like the crucible and strikes are locked off as well.

You won't be locked out of everything. You'll still be able to play the vanilla playlists, they are obligated to leave something there for non-dlc owners.

I think it will be similar to the last DLC, where you won't be able to play the highest lvl strike playlist. For the first 3 weeks I didn't have the dark below, the only playlists I was locked out of was the Dragon playlist and the new PvP maps. What sucked about it was they changed the reward tiers, so I couldn't play challenging strikes, couldn't earn as many marks, or any engrams.

That was an artificial obstacle that basically did this: It didn't prevent me from playing the game, but it did make me question WHY I would keep playing without access to the new toys.

by Monochron, Friday, August 28, 2015, 02:05 (3158 days ago) @ Revenant1988

I think it will be similar to the last DLC, where you won't be able to play the highest lvl strike playlist. For the first 3 weeks I didn't have the dark below, the only playlists I was locked out of was the Dragon playlist and the new PvP maps. What sucked about it was they changed the reward tiers, so I couldn't play challenging strikes, couldn't earn as many marks, or any engrams.

But it looks like now in addition to all of that you are also locked out of the Nightfall and the replacement "Heroic Strike". All of that combined is kind of the bread and butter of the endgame (excepting the old Raids).

by cheapLEY @, Friday, August 28, 2015, 01:14 (3158 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Not the impression I got. I assumed that rather than a Weekly Heroic Strike, there would be a Heroic Strike playlist. The other regular Strike playlists will still be available.

Dislike those nightfall changes

by electricpirate @, Friday, August 28, 2015, 01:04 (3158 days ago) @ CyberKN

That tension and careful play was a big part of the experience. I'd rather they encourage daring play rather than remove the tension.

I really like the heroic strike playlist though. I love running heroics with randoms.

+10

by Oholiab @, Friday, August 28, 2015, 01:57 (3158 days ago) @ electricpirate

- No text -

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, August 28, 2015, 03:29 (3158 days ago) @ electricpirate

I'm curious what your fix for that would be? Right now, there's a distinct difference in how people play a nightfall strike vs. anything else in the game, even raids. Everyone holds back, usually hiding in a corner. I don't begrudge anyone because of that, in fact I do it myself. I don't have unlimited time, and I'm not interested in wiping and going back to orbit to do it all over again. Especially since, as this update also noted, completing the nightfall in year one wasn't just a challenge that was worthwhile on its own (although I certainly found it fun, in its own way) - it felt almost mandatory to get it done early in the week, because otherwise your item and rep leveling wasn't going up as fast as it could be.

When I compare that nightfall experience to running a vanilla strike with a fireteam (not with randos, they just speedrun everything and ruin it), the vanilla strikes are much more entertaining, and it's because we all feel free to go nuts with supers, melees, and whatever else seems entertaining. And I promise you, the one thing that is making that difference is NOT having to go to orbit if we wipe. We know we'll just start at the last checkpoint. I'm not sure there's a good way to "encourage" more aggressive play as long as that spectre of going to orbit is still there. People will stay play ultra-conservatively if that's a possibility. The only fix I can think of is to make sure there are no safe spots, but there are two issues with that. First, it's probably not going to work - the community will find a cheese spot somewhere. Second, even if it does work, it ends up not being fun. Being trapped in a room where there are bullets hitting you no matter where you hide is annoying and frustrating.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, August 28, 2015, 04:12 (3158 days ago) @ stabbim

I'm curious what your fix for that would be? Right now, there's a distinct difference in how people play a nightfall strike vs. anything else in the game, even raids. Everyone holds back, usually hiding in a corner.

I feel as though that is the result of burns more than the nightfall modifier. You hang back because you get shredded if you don't since the enemy does much more damage.

It's a combination of both

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, August 28, 2015, 13:18 (3157 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I definitely play Weeklies and Nightfalls differently, even when Weeklies have burns too.

It's like this

by Durandal, Friday, August 28, 2015, 15:10 (3157 days ago) @ electricpirate

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread