Impressions of the New Crucible Modes (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, September 12, 2015, 03:49 (3172 days ago)
edited by Ragashingo, Saturday, September 12, 2015, 04:38

Mayhem: Too much too fast. Yes, it's glorious, but after a couple of rounds I want out of there. I'm good at Destiny. Destiny accelerated to 11? Not so much. Doesn't help that my preferred class is almost completely useless in Mayhem. I plan to play this mode just slightly more than I play Trials of Osiris. Maybe one round a session to start or finish off the Crucible...

Rift: Rift can be a lot of fun with good teams and larger maps. Or, it can be a complete stomp if your team isn't coordinated and the game type seems to suffer on smaller maps where losing a round tends to mean you're going to be completely out of position for the next round and really out of position for the next one and so on. Still, this is the first new mode I can see myself playing regularly, unlike Elimination, or Inferno, or Trials, or Mayhem.

The new maps are great though. I don't think there's any I don't like, though playing Rift on the small Widow's Court-ish map proved completely disastrous. I'd rather not do that again. It was also good to get to play on Bastion again. Wish I'd come across First Light! :)

I prefer Mayhem over Rift

by kornman00, Saturday, September 12, 2015, 04:20 (3172 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Got into Mayhem fairly quickly as a hunter. I just fucking wish the game told you what map you're 'warping' to before the intro cinematic so you had proper time to spec to whichever subclass or special weapon (not specific to Mayhem, but I find myself switching subclass the most in it)

Played Rift once and hated it immediately. Yes, we lost. Lost so fucking bad I got to experience my first ever Mercy call.

I prefer Mayhem over Rift

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Saturday, September 12, 2015, 12:00 (3172 days ago) @ kornman00

Got into Mayhem fairly quickly as a hunter. I just fucking wish the game told you what map you're 'warping' to before the intro cinematic so you had proper time to spec to whichever subclass or special weapon (not specific to Mayhem, but I find myself switching subclass the most in it)

Played Rift once and hated it immediately. Yes, we lost. Lost so fucking bad I got to experience my first ever Mercy call.

Try it a few more times. Rift can be pretty intense if you get a good matchup. It's a lot like trials in that you can really get owned sometimes, but there are moments of pure awesomeness.

Impressions of the New Crucible Modes

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Saturday, September 12, 2015, 14:39 (3172 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I felt the same way the few rounds I played w y'all. Mayhem is stupid fast. Dude, my power was out till 7am!

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Saturday, September 12, 2015, 14:45 (3172 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I love both of the new modes. Rift may need some adjustments, especially when blink makes it so much easier to get ignite the Rift, but overall it's a lot of fun. I played 3 games of Mayhem last night and had a blast. Realized I didn't need to run Lucky Raspberry to get a tripmine on spawn, so I ran with Symbiote for all three games. 3 Breakers through the night, and even managed to get a 14 kill streak in a game on Black Shield. Probably my favorite play of the night though was Golden Gunning two enemies who had just picked up heavy and picking up 8 rockets from them!

The game mode feels like an evolution of Rockets from Halo. It's chaotic but let's you have an advantage at times unlike Rockets. Will never be my go to Crucible mode, but is fun just for the ridiculousness of it.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, September 12, 2015, 15:46 (3172 days ago) @ Xenos

Yep, I was thinking it felt like Rockets too. Not a bad mode and can be a lot of fun but mostly I like plain Destiny. :)

by R41, Saturday, September 12, 2015, 15:46 (3172 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Rift: Rift can be a lot of fun with good teams and larger maps. Or, it can be a complete stomp if your team isn't coordinated!

Tell me about it. Going in to a game solo seems to a game solo seems to result in absolute annihilation when playing against fire teams of 4+. However, I've been lucky enough to find a team of randoms who know what they're doing, so it's not all bad.

Completely Agree...

by Doooskey, Kansas City, MO, Saturday, September 12, 2015, 22:29 (3172 days ago) @ Xenos

I love both of the new modes. Rift may need some adjustments, especially when blink makes it so much easier to get ignite the Rift, but overall it's a lot of fun. I played 3 games of Mayhem last night and had a blast. Realized I didn't need to run Lucky Raspberry to get a tripmine on spawn, so I ran with Symbiote for all three games. 3 Breakers through the night, and even managed to get a 14 kill streak in a game on Black Shield. Probably my favorite play of the night though was Golden Gunning two enemies who had just picked up heavy and picking up 8 rockets from them!

The game mode feels like an evolution of Rockets from Halo. It's chaotic but let's you have an advantage at times unlike Rockets. Will never be my go to Crucible mode, but is fun just for the ridiculousness of it.

I feel your thoughts man. This game mode has a life of it's own, and it is great. Very similar to Rockets in Halo, but with SUPER POWERS EVERYWHERE! Even when I die 5 times in a row, it's great to just run right back into battle.

Some moments in this game are EPIC. One game I played had a moment on Firebase where literally all 12 people were fighting at the window from the C point into the central building, rockets, Nova Bombs, Solar flares, lightning grenades... Complete Mayhem. It was beautiful.

This

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, September 13, 2015, 02:01 (3171 days ago) @ Doooskey

Hell, that new map in the European Dead Zone? That map has been my favorite map since the first Nova I launched on it.

There was a moment there when I actually wanted to kill someone with a rocket in the main street but couldn't, because there were about 5 Super multikill trades before the rocket I fired could even hit the ground.

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Sunday, September 13, 2015, 07:57 (3171 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I've really enjoyed playing Rift, and with an organised team you can make some sweet plays (although I've found I'm more useful just killing everything and letting other folks take the Spark). BUT, I've already seen the meta begin to shift towards Spawn trapping. This is especially noticeable on Pantheon (because Pantheon sucks) and Black Shield.

A close game of Rift is amazing. A losing game of rift can be fine, if you're outmatched. A game where two players with shotguns slide around in your spawn and murder you as you show up is miserable.

On the bright side, the Mercy rule is awesome for getting you out of unpleasant situations like these.

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, September 13, 2015, 12:46 (3171 days ago) @ someotherguy

BUT, I've already seen the meta begin to shift towards Spawn trapping. This is especially noticeable on Pantheon (because Pantheon sucks) and Black Shield.

Yep, my one and only game of Rift was on the losing side of a blowout on Pantheon. I didn't even SEE the Rift, much less get to try and run it. Worst game of Destiny of my life. I'll try again at some point, but that one game really turned me off two days ago, and I haven't gone back yet.

#saynotopantheon

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Sunday, September 13, 2015, 14:43 (3171 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

This

by Doooskey, Kansas City, MO, Sunday, September 13, 2015, 20:38 (3171 days ago) @ ZackDark

There was a moment there when I actually wanted to kill someone with a rocket in the main street but couldn't, because there were about 5 Super multikill trades before the rocket I fired could even hit the ground.

If I had a dollar for every time I threw a Nova Bomb at an enemy in Mayhem who was obliterated before the Nova Bomb hit, I'd have a whole lot of dollars... But that is the fun of this mode! Endless Supers means wasting one or six isn't that big of a deal! The endless grenades are lots of fun too. Trip mine sticks for everyone!

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread