This is depressing. (Destiny)

by HavokBlue, California, Sunday, September 13, 2015, 01:49 (3181 days ago)

I have a feeling we're never getting a Music of the Spheres release at this point.

http://venturebeat.com/2015/09/11/bungie-slams-composer-marty-odonnell-in-response-to-arbitrator-ruling/

Here's hoping for a leak.

by Funkmon @, Sunday, September 13, 2015, 02:29 (3181 days ago) @ HavokBlue

- No text -

This is depressing.

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, September 13, 2015, 02:49 (3181 days ago) @ HavokBlue

That seems pretty petty.

Not sure I buy the explanation that it was for PR spin, though, as it's pretty much guaranteed to have the opposite effect. Honestly, the best thing they can do is to just drop the issue altogether now, PR wise. I still don't believe Bungie is just some nefarious, only for the money, screw the consumer corporation, but it looks like public opinion has swung that way. So for most people, any statements they make or actions they take trying to make themselves look better in this situation is bound to backfire.

This is depressing.

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Sunday, September 13, 2015, 19:32 (3181 days ago) @ cheapLEY

That seems pretty petty.

Not sure I buy the explanation that it was for PR spin, though, as it's pretty much guaranteed to have the opposite effect. Honestly, the best thing they can do is to just drop the issue altogether now, PR wise. I still don't believe Bungie is just some nefarious, only for the money, screw the consumer corporation, but it looks like public opinion has swung that way. So for most people, any statements they make or actions they take trying to make themselves look better in this situation is bound to backfire.

So just let it go and then what, wait for people to like them again? They're not going to just forget, I've seen people hold grudges against companies.

This is depressing.

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, September 13, 2015, 21:55 (3180 days ago) @ General Vagueness

So just let it go and then what, wait for people to like them again? They're not going to just forget, I've seen people hold grudges against companies.

Yes, they should let this issue go. At this point, I don't think there is anything they can say to make anyone like them more about this. Even if they were absolutely right, they're not going to win any fans by badmouthing Marty, period. This is one of those situations where "No comment" is actually probably the best thing they can say.

You're right, people hold grudges against companies for a long time and for very little, but they're not changing anyone's mind by doing stuff like this. In fact, I'd bet it's having the opposite effect.

They should do something that might actually build some good will with their audience. I don't personally have a problem with the way they've handled Destiny in the slightest, but lots of folks do. Whether they did things wrong or not, there is a massive perception that they have, and they need to work to change that.

This is depressing.

by Fuertisimo, Sunday, September 13, 2015, 21:47 (3180 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I agree, it's depressingly petty, and it is only making them look worse and worse, and they seem to be completely oblivious to how what they're doing is making them look. Just bizarre stuff.

It might be important think of Bungie the company and Bungie the upper management/Activision as two separate entities, often with conflicting goals and agendas. Bungie the game developer is beholden to Activision the publisher (who are most definitely out to squeeze as much money out of you as they possibly can), and so I suppose in a way Bungie upper managements job is to try and figure out how to do that as well.

Harold Ryan was never really a contentious or controversial figure within the company as far as I know, but he's popping up quite a bit lately.

This is depressing.

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Monday, September 14, 2015, 15:45 (3180 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

I agree, it's depressingly petty, and it is only making them look worse and worse, and they seem to be completely oblivious to how what they're doing is making them look. Just bizarre stuff.

How is this petty?

This is depressing.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, September 13, 2015, 04:04 (3181 days ago) @ HavokBlue

I wonder what this meant:

The arbitrator pointed out that 40 minutes of the 48 minutes of Music of the Spheres was already out in public domain.

That Destiny itself contained most of the music that would be on the Music of the Spheres album?

But yeah, we're never hearing it as an album unless Bungie decides to release it themselves for some strange reason. If Marty releases it or leaks it he'll be dragged back into court for violating the very court order that gave him his "win."

Really, it's probably best for everyone that Music of the Spheres goes away forever.

This is depressing.

by Funkmon @, Sunday, September 13, 2015, 05:35 (3181 days ago) @ Ragashingo

If Bungie has it, they have hundreds of employees. Maybe one of them would leak it if he has had access.

This.

by SIX min WHISTLE @, Michigan, Sunday, September 13, 2015, 20:09 (3181 days ago) @ Funkmon

Someone at Bungie or Activision, or maybe even someone connected to Paul McCartney could put it out. If they just throw a digital file up on the internet somewhere it couldn't possibly be blamed on Marty.

I HIGHLY doubt Marty doesn't have personal digital backups of a project of this magnitude, though it would be legal suicide to put it out there himself.

Hopefully someone taking a tour has a chance to throw it on a flashdrive or something eventually. Sort of like those blurry as shit Reach leaks.

Nah, it's all good

by Avateur @, Sunday, September 13, 2015, 06:54 (3181 days ago) @ HavokBlue

When Bungie takes over the world, the Marty Army is gonna rise up and overthrow Bungie. Then the real party begins, you know? Looks like everything is going according to plan as far as the Marty side of things goes.

Giant Slingshot Confirmed.

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, September 13, 2015, 12:39 (3181 days ago) @ Avateur

That's the real reason everything went down. Marty secretly constructed his own giant slingshot.

I guess this means that there's no...hope for the future

by kornman00, Sunday, September 13, 2015, 18:19 (3181 days ago) @ HavokBlue

- No text -

i see what you did there.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Sunday, September 13, 2015, 18:55 (3181 days ago) @ kornman00

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread