Forza 6 (Off-Topic)

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, September 15, 2015, 01:39 (3157 days ago)

It comes out tomorrow, officially, which is just awful timing.

I bought the Ultimate Edition which comes with the season pass and was released on early on Thursday.

Basically I made this to see if anyone else here is planning on getting it. Stabbim is the only other person from here I've seen playing it. I'm just looking to add some folks to my list if they are going to get it, so we can put together some multiplayer races, eventually.

I've enjoyed it this weekend, but it's definitely going to take a back seat tomorrow. :P

But since, I'm here:

It is incredible. Forza has returned to form after the disappointment of 5. It's the best Forza since probably Forza 3, maybe 4. I can never really keep those two straight in my head.

Racing in the rain is awesome. It's pretty incredible what they've pulled off, I think. The very first time you hit a puddle that's formed on the track, you're going to be caught off guard, and you're going to crash.

Likewise, racing at night is just . . . it's something that has to be experienced. If it's on a stadium style track, there are stadium lights, so it's not really that difficult. But racing on the Nurburgring at 160mph at night is absolutely terrifying (in a good way!).

I really only have a couple of gripes with the game:

The weather is not dynamic, so you will always be racing in the rain, or when it's dry. It won't change over the course of the race. Likewise with day/night. It's not a huge deal, as what they've done is still amazing, but it would have been cool to see that change dynamically through a long race. Also, you cannot race in the rain and at night, which would have just been fantastic.

As good as the rain is, it's not nearly difficult enough to see. For whatever reason, Turn 10 has always sucked at tire smoke. It disappears so fast, it's really awful. I'm sure this is a conscious decision for performance reason. Well, now it extends to the spray behind cars in the rain, which is really unfortunate. If you've ever watched a real race in the rain (or driven in the rain on the highway!), you know the cars throw up massive rooster tails of water. This is not present in the game at all, which is really unfortunate. Again, I'm sure it's for performance reasons, as this game does run at a silky smooth 1080p 60fps. I have not seen a dropped frame once during my ten hours of play.

Basically, if you've ever enjoyed Forza, or have ever considered trying Forza, now is the time to do so. It's the best Forza has ever been.

Forza 6

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, September 15, 2015, 06:30 (3157 days ago) @ cheapLEY

racing on the Nurburgring at 160mph at night is absolutely terrifying (in a good way!).

I like racing games but never enjoyed Forza. However, I will try the demo for this sentence. I ride a motorcycle, and at night every single mailbox on the side of the road is an ass clencher because it could be a deer. Tall grass or fog is scary too. Man, everything is scary. I was driving in some mountains in Italy once figuring out how to drive a standard and TWO PORCUPINES ran in front of the car TWICE. They were like fucking mutant porcupines too. Must have been 7 feet tall. Then I almost missed a blind turn and drove off the mountain. Stupid nighttime. Properly put me off standards in cars for a while.

So I'm excited to see a game have that fear in night driving.

+1

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, September 15, 2015, 10:07 (3157 days ago) @ Funkmon

I don't think there are giant mutant porcupines in Forza, though.

Would be a great MGS-like twist, though, I must give you that.

Forza 6

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, September 15, 2015, 11:53 (3157 days ago) @ Funkmon

racing on the Nurburgring at 160mph at night is absolutely terrifying (in a good way!).

I like racing games but never enjoyed Forza. However, I will try the demo for this sentence. I ride a motorcycle, and at night every single mailbox on the side of the road is an ass clencher because it could be a deer. Tall grass or fog is scary too. Man, everything is scary. I was driving in some mountains in Italy once figuring out how to drive a standard and TWO PORCUPINES ran in front of the car TWICE. They were like fucking mutant porcupines too. Must have been 7 feet tall. Then I almost missed a blind turn and drove off the mountain. Stupid nighttime. Properly put me off standards in cars for a while.

So I'm excited to see a game have that fear in night driving.

It definitely does. It captures night better than most games I've played before. Most games that have night just makes everything darker, but you can still see okay. In Forza, you can't see a damn thing (if you look behind you, for instance). And it's awesome.

Unfortunately, the only night race in the demo is on Yas Marina circuit, which is mostly well-light from stadium lighting. It is a cool experience, but can't really compare to the Nurburgring.

Also, the demo is absolutely infuriating. It's a good display of what Forza 6 has to offer, but there's a narrator that leads you through some of the new (and old) features, and you can't skip any of her explanations, and she assumes you've never played video games before. It's awful. I've played every Forza, I know how to adjust my driver assist settings, thanks. Now shut up!

I do understand folks not liking Forza, too. It can be very . . . clinical for some folks, I guess. Not for me, obviously, I like it, but I think for a lot of folks they need more from racing games than just actual circuit racing. I can hop on Forza and pick a car and track and just hot lap for hours trying to improve my time. That's part of the reason I'm looking for more people. In the Forza 4 days I had a few friends that also played, and we'd jump into a party and agree on a car and track and do time trials. So while we weren't really playing multiplayer, we were all doing the same activity trying to beat each others' times, which kept improving. It was a blast.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread