Quick Tip Regarding Power Leveling (Destiny)

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Tuesday, September 15, 2015, 12:54 (3157 days ago)

If you've stored up some bounties to cash in to get you to level 40 as soon as possible, I'd highly recommend saving them until you get your new subclass. I cashed all of mine in with one of the Redbull buffs as soon as I was done with everything I could do in the tower and hit level 40 within about 10 minutes of logging in. I expected the new subclass quest to take a bit since it didn't look like I had started the quest when I finished my rounds at the tower, but I had the new subclass unlocked about 15 minutes after I turned in those bounties.

-Disciple

Level 40 before leaving the tower

by naturl selexion, Tuesday, September 15, 2015, 13:00 (3157 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

I was actually looking forward to hearing that leveling up sound while going through the new missions. I really did not expect to hit 40 just by turning in my bounties. It was just too easy.

Level 40 before leaving the tower

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, September 15, 2015, 13:08 (3157 days ago) @ naturl selexion

Yeah I'd be a little disappointed with that. :(

Dear Bungie, more grind please. Sincerely, DBO

by petetheduck, Tuesday, September 15, 2015, 13:12 (3157 days ago) @ cheapLEY

?? what is wrong with you people

:)

Fully leveled before the first mission is a bit silly, no?

by naturl selexion, Tuesday, September 15, 2015, 13:16 (3157 days ago) @ petetheduck

- No text -

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Tuesday, September 15, 2015, 13:22 (3157 days ago) @ naturl selexion

You're really not "fully leveled" though. It's really ALL about the light level now, so level 40 with 170 light is no better than level 34 with 170 light.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Tuesday, September 15, 2015, 13:28 (3157 days ago) @ Speedracer513

You're really not "fully leveled" though. It's really ALL about the light level now, so level 40 with 170 light is no better than level 34 with 170 light.

Which makes me a little bit sad. I wish level was taken into account too, but making the damage calcs more complex to account for both light and level would be confusing to the average joe player, so I think they made the right choice.

Note that level does still matter...

by slycrel ⌂, Tuesday, September 15, 2015, 15:27 (3157 days ago) @ dogcow

I did a patrol mission for "kill the target" at lvl 38. The target was lvl 40 and his number was orange. He could 3 shot me and I emptied 4 gjallarhorns on his cabal behind to get him down to about half health. Pretty sure the level modifiers still apply.

Also, 40 is the new 20.

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Tuesday, September 15, 2015, 15:41 (3157 days ago) @ slycrel

I did a patrol mission for "kill the target" at lvl 38. The target was lvl 40 and his number was orange. He could 3 shot me and I emptied 4 gjallarhorns on his cabal behind to get him down to about half health. Pretty sure the level modifiers still apply.

Also, 40 is the new 20.

It's because his light level (but not necessarily character level) was higher than yours. Notice when you die, at the top of your screen where it says what killed you, it will also now say, "Recommended Light: ___".

Your character level only matters now to gate what gear you can equip (and thus, your light level).

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Tuesday, September 15, 2015, 15:44 (3157 days ago) @ Speedracer513

They should replace the level above enemy heads with a light level instead - although would it technically be a "darkness level"?

They had that before. No clue why they would change it.

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, September 15, 2015, 19:02 (3157 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

- No text -

by slycrel ⌂, Tuesday, September 15, 2015, 15:46 (3157 days ago) @ Speedracer513

So why then am I already seeing level 41 things here and there? Not individual mobs, but I swear I saw a quest or something with a level 41. Maybe I dreamed it, I was, quite literally, up in the night from 4:15-5:30 AM playing.

Also, I have no idea what light level the centurion was -- He hit me with 2 rockets multiple times and nearly killed me, but he didn't quite get there. But that's good to know that's what I should be looking for.

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Tuesday, September 15, 2015, 15:55 (3157 days ago) @ slycrel

So why then am I already seeing level 41 things here and there? Not individual mobs, but I swear I saw a quest or something with a level 41. Maybe I dreamed it, I was, quite literally, up in the night from 4:15-5:30 AM playing.

Also, I have no idea what light level the centurion was -- He hit me with 2 rockets multiple times and nearly killed me, but he didn't quite get there. But that's good to know that's what I should be looking for.

It's probably safe to assume that a level 41 enemy probably has a higher light(darkness?) level than a level 40 enemy -- so it's not like there is a complete disconnect between what the character level is and his light level is... The point is just that the former way of calculating damage if you are under-levelled (where you did 25% less and took 25% more) is gone. Now it's just a calculation of your light level vs the enemy's light level, which according to Luke Smith results in smaller and more fair calculations. He specifically cautioned that we don't need to worry as much about there being level 41 enemies in the raid (as we did about everything in Crota being 33 while we were stuck at 32).

By the same token, it is worth noting that you can be a higher [character] level than an enemy, but still be at a damage-output disadvantage if your actual light level at that moment is lower than his.

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Tuesday, September 15, 2015, 16:07 (3157 days ago) @ Speedracer513

I wonder if you equip very low light-level gear if you will get to the point where enemies can kill you as if they were ?? level in Destiny 1. Anyone want to try? For science of course. :)

by slycrel ⌂, Tuesday, September 15, 2015, 16:26 (3157 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Thanks for the excellent summary.

I'm aware of what has been said, nothing new to me there. I still think level matters, though I could be wrong -- it could be simply light level. It may be more subtle than the either/or situation we are talking about. I would very much agree that level is less important. But I don't think it is ignorable, even if it simply indicates a default light level. Otherwise why do they still have it as a metric, especially on enemies?

I was sitting around light level 185 when I did this. Now I'm bummed that I didn't die to the guy, because I don't know what his light level was... or what the "standard" light level of a lvl 40 character is roughly. Guess I'll figure that one out here as I go.

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Tuesday, September 15, 2015, 16:29 (3157 days ago) @ slycrel

I was sitting around light level 185 when I did this. Now I'm bummed that I didn't die to the guy, because I don't know what his light level was... or what the "standard" light level of a lvl 40 character is roughly. Guess I'll figure that one out here as I go.

I know what you mean. There is only ONE THING I want to know about the King's Fall raid before I go in there with my team: what the target light level is for us to feel sufficiently geared!

by ProbablyLast, Tuesday, September 15, 2015, 16:34 (3157 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Nightfall is 280. I'd imagine if you can run the nightfall, you are sufficiently geared.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, September 15, 2015, 18:38 (3157 days ago) @ slycrel

If it's the same as this one, then it's 220.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/3l103w/all_vip_kill_patrol_missions_are_now_lv40_and_220/

by slycrel ⌂, Tuesday, September 15, 2015, 19:44 (3157 days ago) @ bluerunner
edited by slycrel, Tuesday, September 15, 2015, 19:48

It wasn't a VIP public event, it was a patrol mission. Maybe they are the same now though, just not majors. I guess I should feel pretty good about killing something ~35 light above me solo, with other random patrol guys also shooting at me.

I hit 40 on my lunch break, did the first mission and unlocked stormcaller. Fantastic stuff here. I am however, still only at 201 light despite my best efforts. I am tempted to do a few crucible matches to earn some marks and infuse my ghost shell up to 190.

I also regret not running the weekly heroic 3 more times so I could get the dead orbit exotic class item from the faction quest. Ah well.

"I used XP boosts and finished bounties to power level!"

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, September 15, 2015, 13:26 (3157 days ago) @ petetheduck

Bungie, you made it too easy!

T_T

But yeah, all about light level now. Gotta get that new gear (and look the same as everyone else again until you can infuse).

Heh, that's the part of grind I always enjoyed!

by Monochron, Tuesday, September 15, 2015, 13:37 (3157 days ago) @ petetheduck

- No text -

Help me maximize my time...

by Oholiab @, Tuesday, September 15, 2015, 22:55 (3157 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

So I figure I'll have an hour or so to play this evening. I'm hoping to savor the TTK, so I'm not in a huge rush to get through all the story content.

That said, my hunter is Level 34, and I would like to maximize the opportunity to level up even as I take my time with content. Currently I have 16 bounties saved up, plus a Postmaster full of PE packages, a NM package, a Vanguard package, and a Cryptarch package. Also, I've "edged" my progress on all factions and the Vanguard, and even the Cryptarch.

Given all that... when's the best time to redeem all these items? Should I wait until I have my new subclass? Will I even be able to unlock that in an hour? Wait for some better gear? Any ideas are appreciated!

Use that experience after you have your subclass.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Wednesday, September 16, 2015, 12:38 (3156 days ago) @ Oholiab

I'm also saving some experience for when I get some good high-light gear.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread