Fallen abilities in the post-story missions (Destiny)

by Monochron, Thursday, September 17, 2015, 02:59 (3177 days ago)

This probably doesn't need its own thread, but I just wanted to comment that some of the encounters are strangely frustrating in the post-story missions. In particular there are high damage attacks that are near impossible to dodge. One from the Cabal for instance tracks you around corners and, if stuck on a corner, will just wait until it can follow you again. The Minotaur shot is more dodgeable but comes with such rapid fire that it can take down your shields in under a second.

And why have the mechanics of the missions messed with? I took a break from the Venus final(?) mission during the last battle and when I tried to start it back up again I found that it DIDN'T save my progress. Seriously, I have to play through the whole thing again? It was frustrating enough once. This one and the VoG one in particular have Darkness zones that set you back WAY too far if you die. And considering the flood of enemies that you can't damage (because those goblins are shielding them while remaining completely out of sight), it's no easy feat dodging around until you can get an angle at the ones you can actually shoot. Huge quantities of enemies alone isn't all that great.

I love a tough challenge where I spend most of my time behind cover taking pot shots for fear of instant death . . . but I usually prefer to manually set a high difficulty to do that. First time running through seems a bit crappy. I can't enjoy what is happening with the (actually present) story.

Meh, so far TTK is pretty amazballs, but this part has me miffed.

Fallen abilities in the post-story missions

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, September 17, 2015, 03:05 (3177 days ago) @ Monochron

It seems that more than ever before, the post mainline quest stuff is mostly meant to be Fireteam missions. While technically possible alone, they're much more fun with other folks, and a lot less frustrating.

That VoG mission in particular . . . You're right. It took me forever to get past the part that happens in the Templar area. Dying on the last wave of enemies and having to start completely from the beginning was brutal, and nearly enough to make me quit and come back later.

I really those missions would give a recommended Light Level, because I feel like the level requirement it shows is just wrong, or not relevant.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, September 17, 2015, 03:24 (3177 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Heck, I couldn't even get past the Templar's Well... Goddamn tracking shot and those Fallen Captains...

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, September 17, 2015, 03:29 (3177 days ago) @ ZackDark

Yeah, that part is rough, took me four or five deaths to finally get past it.

It gets slightly easier from there. Enemies are still tough, but there's not nearly as many of them, and they're easier to get away from.

You mean Taken?

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, September 17, 2015, 08:52 (3177 days ago) @ Monochron

That tracking shot that follows you can be shot and destroyed pretty easily. You don't have to run from it.

I wonder if that's why the Axion Bolt has it too

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, September 17, 2015, 10:54 (3177 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

About the Cabal shot...

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, September 17, 2015, 12:20 (3176 days ago) @ Monochron

One from the Cabal for instance tracks you around corners and, if stuck on a corner, will just wait until it can follow you again.

You can shoot those orbs out of the air and destroy them.

by Bosticman, Thursday, September 17, 2015, 12:50 (3176 days ago) @ ZackDark

Heck, I couldn't even get past the Templar's Well... Goddamn tracking shot and those Fallen Captains...

The Conspiracy Theory D Shotgun really helped to snuff out the Captains and their power circle of blindness or whatever it's called.

Is it just me or is the AI of the enemies a lot more aware of Guardians now? I'm used to enemies pulling the usual trash of knowing when you ADS with a sniper and hightail for cover. At least they are looking at you more or less. On the Dreadnaught mission I was testing the range of the Nightstalker bow. The two enemies are fighting each other around the area where the tank is and I'm way far away out of the Cabal's reach. Launch the bow to deck the shielded Centaurian who is totally preoccupied with Hive. At the last instant he dodges the bow and flips 90 degrees to his left to look at me. Come on.

by Bosticman, Thursday, September 17, 2015, 12:54 (3176 days ago) @ Monochron

And considering the flood of enemies that you can't damage (because those goblins are shielding them while remaining completely out of sight), it's no easy feat dodging around until you can get an angle at the ones you can actually shoot. Huge quantities of enemies alone isn't all that great.

I love a tough challenge where I spend most of my time behind cover taking pot shots for fear of instant death . . . but I usually prefer to manually set a high difficulty to do that. First time running through seems a bit crappy. I can't enjoy what is happening with the (actually present) story.

I am hoping for an Exotic of some kind in the future that will trump this umbilical cord of invincibility. When a bunch of taken are in a small area it's hard to see which one to shoot if the shielder is behind and not to the side.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, September 17, 2015, 12:55 (3176 days ago) @ Bosticman

And considering the flood of enemies that you can't damage (because those goblins are shielding them while remaining completely out of sight), it's no easy feat dodging around until you can get an angle at the ones you can actually shoot. Huge quantities of enemies alone isn't all that great.

I am hoping for an Exotic of some kind in the future that will trump this umbilical cord of invincibility. When a bunch of taken are in a small area it's hard to see which one to shoot if the shielder is behind and not to the side.

It would be cool if guns like Hard Light can pierce it. Don't suppose anyone has tried?

Crap, yup, "Taken".

by Monochron, Thursday, September 17, 2015, 13:11 (3176 days ago) @ bluerunner

That tracking shot that follows you can be shot and destroyed pretty easily. You don't have to run from it.

Define "easily". Maybe I'm not high enough Light Level but when they rush you with a couple a time I'm incredibly lucky to destroy even one.

Speaking of Light Level I don't really have a good gauge for how under leveled is too much to take on a mission. Previously 2 levels offer a real challenge. Does that convert to 10 levels now?...

Seems like they have a new type of agression

by Monochron, Thursday, September 17, 2015, 13:14 (3176 days ago) @ Bosticman

Launch the bow to deck the shielded Centaurian who is totally preoccupied with Hive. At the last instant he dodges the bow and flips 90 degrees to his left to look at me. Come on.

That as well as a more active pursuit of you. I feel like they are more likely to seek you out and try to overwhelm you. That aspect can be pretty fun if it is balanced well.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, September 17, 2015, 13:17 (3176 days ago) @ Monochron

This probably doesn't need its own thread, but I just wanted to comment that some of the encounters are strangely frustrating in the post-story missions. In particular there are high damage attacks that are near impossible to dodge. One from the Cabal for instance tracks you around corners and, if stuck on a corner, will just wait until it can follow you again. The Minotaur shot is more dodgeable but comes with such rapid fire that it can take down your shields in under a second.

And why have the mechanics of the missions messed with? I took a break from the Venus final(?) mission during the last battle and when I tried to start it back up again I found that it DIDN'T save my progress. Seriously, I have to play through the whole thing again? It was frustrating enough once. This one and the VoG one in particular have Darkness zones that set you back WAY too far if you die. And considering the flood of enemies that you can't damage (because those goblins are shielding them while remaining completely out of sight), it's no easy feat dodging around until you can get an angle at the ones you can actually shoot. Huge quantities of enemies alone isn't all that great.

The first time I ran into the Taken Fallen Captain in Dock 13 he kicked my butt. I had no idea what was happening, why I'd be suddenly be blind and then dead. I've since learned to dodge, but it's not easy in close quarters. Reminded me of my first encounters with the Archon Priest in that same area. I remember being scared of him, too.

I'm liking that the world feels dangerous again.

Crap, yup, "Taken".

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, September 17, 2015, 13:35 (3176 days ago) @ Monochron

I tried running the heroic strikes (260 light) as a 250. It felt like being 2 levels lower in the old system. Both randoms were also my level, and we finally gave up. It can be done, but you need good communication.

Every tracking shot I've blown up only took a few shots or just 1 shot, depending on what I was using. I just had to back peddle while shooting.

Seems like they have a new type of agression

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, September 17, 2015, 13:38 (3176 days ago) @ Monochron

That's what makes those Taken capitans so scary. They'll chase you around and blink every time you try to shoot them. Plus I like how the new bosses travel around the map and chase you. It's a lot better than the old ones that just randomly wandered around the center of the map.

always shoot the medic first.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Thursday, September 17, 2015, 13:49 (3176 days ago) @ Bosticman

TF2img.jpg

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Thursday, September 17, 2015, 14:49 (3176 days ago) @ Bosticman

Is it just me or is the AI of the enemies a lot more aware of Guardians now? I'm used to enemies pulling the usual trash of knowing when you ADS with a sniper and hightail for cover. At least they are looking at you more or less. On the Dreadnaught mission I was testing the range of the Nightstalker bow. The two enemies are fighting each other around the area where the tank is and I'm way far away out of the Cabal's reach. Launch the bow to deck the shielded Centaurian who is totally preoccupied with Hive. At the last instant he dodges the bow and flips 90 degrees to his left to look at me. Come on.

Man, that ADS awareness was killing me today while trying to knock out Banshee's "Kill ## enemies whiles using special weapon telemetry" quest. I could stare at a Taken Vandal all day, but the second I ADS, he pops a bubble. I could go down the line and trigger four of them in a row. Super annoying.

-Disciple

FTFY. I miss TF2 some days.

by slycrel ⌂, Thursday, September 17, 2015, 16:18 (3176 days ago) @ Vortech

[image]

Well crap

by Monochron, Thursday, September 17, 2015, 16:40 (3176 days ago) @ bluerunner

I tried running the heroic strikes (260 light) as a 250. It felt like being 2 levels lower in the old system. Both randoms were also my level, and we finally gave up. It can be done, but you need good communication.

Jeez I was 20-30 Light below the recommended and running everything solo. Hhm, maybe I'll need to focus on leveling up before I do more story stuff.

Well crap

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, September 17, 2015, 17:05 (3176 days ago) @ Monochron

Jeez I was 20-30 Light below the recommended and running everything solo. Hhm, maybe I'll need to focus on leveling up before I do more story stuff.

I ran a few strikes and got my level up before running the extra story missions. They weren't bad at all then.

Well crap

by Monochron, Thursday, September 17, 2015, 18:22 (3176 days ago) @ bluerunner

Okay that might clear up my gripes. It felt like too many enemies with good abilities, but if I can just survive longer it might make it more fun. Thanks!

They've definitely changed the AI

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, September 17, 2015, 18:50 (3176 days ago) @ Bosticman

Even old enemies seem a lot smarter now.

As a sidenote, yesterday while patrolling Venus with Narc and Blackstar, I saw a Minotaur scanning a random rock while its squadmates watched. Never seen that before. Still kicking myself for not saving a clip.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread