What's Eris going on about? *SP* (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, September 17, 2015, 16:49 (3167 days ago)

After defeating Oryx, Eris shows up and takes the shard from his sword and says something along the lines of "You were right, my Queen; the Guardian was the key."

Who is she talking to? Mara Sov? What happened to her by the way?

Or was she truly corrupted by the Darkness and the Hive when she was trapped? Is she serving some Hive Queen who wants to usurp Oryx?

Details in the Raid, or some mission I haven't gotten to yet? Or maybe set up for the next DLC?

I want to know more!

What's Eris going on about? *SP*

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, September 17, 2015, 17:02 (3166 days ago) @ cheapLEY

After defeating Oryx, Eris shows up and takes the shard from his sword and says something along the lines of "You were right, my Queen; the Guardian was the key."

Or was she truly corrupted by the Darkness and the Hive when she was trapped? Is she serving some Hive Queen who wants to usurp Oryx?

Details in the Raid, or some mission I haven't gotten to yet? Or maybe set up for the next DLC?

I want to know more!

This is EXACTLY what I was hoping for at the end of TTK. Because at the end of Destiny and the two expansions my only question was "Who is the stranger?"

That's it. So this is a good start on the story line Bungie. I want to have questions after a DLC even if it nags me to no end.

Been wondering about this, too

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Thursday, September 17, 2015, 17:03 (3166 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I want to know more!

I was thinking that the metal/purple object she retrieves from the broken sword is what she gives us as the start of the next quest line, but now I’m not sure…

And I have no idea what happened to the Queen of the Reef or her brother. The NPCs all make comments about “the tragedy of the Reef” or somesuch, but nothing specific.

my theory *SP*

by HavokBlue, California, Thursday, September 17, 2015, 17:06 (3166 days ago) @ Beorn

The piece Eris takes from Oryx's sword goes on your new sword, yes.

There are a couple Grimoire cards that suggest Eris was working for the Queen and the Queen was upset when Eris would show up at the Reef because she didn't want the Guardians finding out.

Wonder what she's up to.

I have a theory that Mara Sov isn't 'dead'. Eris seems pretty familiar with the function of Hive soul crystals, and we know from the crystal in the Dreadnought that there are more of them.

I bet Mara Sov and her Techeuns bound her to a crystal and we'll see her again one way or another.

Been wondering about this, too

by TheeChaos @, Thursday, September 17, 2015, 17:06 (3166 days ago) @ Beorn

It would seem they were Taken by surprise. bahahaha

Been wondering about this, too *SP*

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, September 17, 2015, 17:07 (3166 days ago) @ Beorn

I was thinking that the metal/purple object she retrieves from the broken sword is what she gives us as the start of the next quest line, but now I’m not sure…

Eris actually mentions the object when you come back to her from the campaign. I think she suggested going to shaxx to make another sword? Something about the metal not being of this solar system and you would need to find some other metal (or get the hadium). So maybe we use it to forge the exotic sword?

Read the Grimoire :) *SP*

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, September 17, 2015, 17:08 (3166 days ago) @ cheapLEY

The Queen (of the Reef) and Eris know each other. There is a card that has Eris coming to the Queen and talking about wanting to kill Oryx, and the Queen agrees to help. I think the Queen is even talking to Eris in the opening cutscene, but I'd have to go back and watch it to confirm.

D'oh!

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, September 17, 2015, 17:09 (3166 days ago) @ HavokBlue

I haven't even read any of the new Grimoire cards, yet! I've been so busy playing, I keep forgetting to check them out.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, September 17, 2015, 17:11 (3166 days ago) @ Xenos

The Queen (of the Reef) and Eris know each other. There is a card that has Eris coming to the Queen and talking about wanting to kill Oryx, and the Queen agrees to help. I think the Queen is even talking to Eris in the opening cutscene, but I'd have to go back and watch it to confirm.

Yeah, I got that impression in the opening cutscene as well.

I've been so busy playing the game, I keep forgetting to check out the new Grimoire cards. I'll have to do that.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, September 17, 2015, 17:12 (3166 days ago) @ Xenos

Near the end of the opening cutscene, the Queen mentions "my hidden friend", or something along those lines. I'm certain she's referring to Eris, who is a member of "the hidden".

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, September 17, 2015, 17:21 (3166 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Near the end of the opening cutscene, the Queen mentions "my hidden friend", or something along those lines. I'm certain she's referring to Eris, who is a member of "the hidden".

Unless she is mentioning The Stranger? She keeps saying things along the lines of "Yeah, ok you were right after all" as if the Stranger knew this was all going to happen and had to convince Eris. I still have the believe that The Stranger is from the Future/Past

*Just as Planned*

by Durandal, Thursday, September 17, 2015, 17:22 (3166 days ago) @ Xenos

Eris, The Queen, and a third (Osiris?) knew Oryx was coming and planned for his defeat. The Queen's raid was not an attempt to destroy him outright. As Zevalla says, she would never take such a paltry force if her end goal was physical destruction.

Based on the Grimore cards, I suspect the Queen's goal was to implant Harbingers in the Dreadnought. It seems she has survived, given the lack of bodies and the mysterious power she and the Techunin share. The side benefit of this is that Oryx's pulse wave also cleared out his vastly superior fleet, making it all that easier for Guardians to get a toehold.

That toe hold leads to guardian action on the dreadnought, where Oryx theoretically could be defeated (as it is his throne realm). Of course he Takes himself at the end, so there is another step to defeat him, but still look at the status of affairs.

1. Harbingers are growing in strength on the dreadnought, a near impervious egg.
2. The Queen appears to be dead, so the Varkis's plotting has moved into an active, and observable phase.
3. The city has taken over purging the Taken, and is relying more on data from Reef Intel (Crows).
4. Petra Venj is acting as Regent, and thus the Reef is in no danger of a coup attempt.

What a Clever, Clever creature.

*Just as Planned*

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, September 17, 2015, 17:27 (3166 days ago) @ Durandal

Based on the Grimore cards, I suspect the Queen's goal was to implant Harbingers in the Dreadnought.

Wait... Harbingers? wtf are those?

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, September 17, 2015, 17:31 (3166 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Unless she is mentioning The Stranger? She keeps saying things along the lines of "Yeah, ok you were right after all" as if the Stranger knew this was all going to happen and had to convince Eris. I still have the believe that The Stranger is from the Future/Past

Don't forget she mentions the line where she says, "We've known ever since you escaped from that... pit." At first I thought she was talking to me, but it's become clear (to me) that she's really addressing Eris.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, September 17, 2015, 17:32 (3166 days ago) @ dogcow

Don't forget she mentions the line where she says, "We've known ever since you escaped from that... pit." At first I thought she was talking to me, but it's become clear (to me) that she's really addressing Eris.

I was referring to who Eris was talking to. I totally agree that The Queen was referring to Eris. Unless she is referring to Toland...

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, September 17, 2015, 17:36 (3166 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I was referring to who Eris was talking to. I totally agree that The Queen was referring to Eris. Unless she is referring to Toland...

Could be I suppose... though I wouldn't consider where he is now as escaping that pit...

*Just as Planned*

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, September 17, 2015, 17:39 (3166 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Based on the Grimore cards, I suspect the Queen's goal was to implant Harbingers in the Dreadnought.

Wait... Harbingers? wtf are those?

http://www.ishtar-collective.net/cards/ghost-fragment-fallen-4?highlight=fallen

I'm pretty sure they're those 7 orbs the queen spawns that rip through the taken ships.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, September 17, 2015, 17:43 (3166 days ago) @ Xenos

Could be I suppose... though I wouldn't consider where he is now as escaping that pit...

But do we know where Toland is? I mean really? I thought he was just lost down there never to be seen again.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, September 17, 2015, 17:44 (3166 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

But do we know where Toland is? I mean really? I thought he was just lost down there never to be seen again.

There are strong implications that he is on another plane of existence, and several of the cards are implied to be from him to us giving us information about Oryx.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, September 17, 2015, 17:50 (3166 days ago) @ Xenos

There are strong implications that he is on another plane of existence, and several of the cards are implied to be from him to us giving us information about Oryx.

Yeah, there are a ton of forces and dimensions in Destiny that I can't really figure out who is in contact or even capable of contact with whom.

The main points is Tolan, The Stranger and the Queen and how she can summon shit from the Stars and Darkness, aka Space magic

Occam's Razor *SP*

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Thursday, September 17, 2015, 17:50 (3166 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Intro is Queen talking to Eris

Outro is Eris talking to Queen

Pretty cut and dry.

Occam's Razor *SP*

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, September 17, 2015, 17:52 (3166 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

Intro is Queen talking to Eris

Outro is Eris talking to Queen

Pretty cut and dry.

Is anything cut and dry with Bungie? I'm not betting on it.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, September 17, 2015, 17:58 (3166 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

The main points is Toland, The Stranger and the Queen and how she can summon shit from the Stars and Darkness, aka Space magic

This isn't a dispute or anything, I just found the card finally, it's Ghost Fragment: The Hellmouth.

It's Toland talking, you can tell because he mentions the other 5 members of their fireteam that went to fight Crota. After reading this if you read a lot of the cards where they don't identify a speaker it seems highly likely it's Toland talking. Still not sure either how much he can communicate with everyone, but he seems to mainly be talking to us (The Guardian). He also is trying to reach Osiris, I'm curious if that is the build up to the next expansion, which if the slide is still correct is Vex based, since Osiris was obsessed with the Vex.

my theory *SP*

by marmot 1333 @, Thursday, September 17, 2015, 18:32 (3166 days ago) @ HavokBlue

I need to watch the cutscene again, but... I wonder if the Queen was not really "there" near Saturn, if she was astral-projecting or something. So when Oryx's energy blast shot out, she wasn't physically affected.

What's Eris going on about? *SP*

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, September 17, 2015, 19:39 (3166 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Is she serving some Hive Queen who wants to usurp Oryx?

So I guess Kerrigan isn't the Queen Bitch of the Universe after all…

Could be true. It was hinted at in one of the strikes that the Hive have some infighting for power.

my theory *SP*

by HavokBlue, California, Thursday, September 17, 2015, 19:46 (3166 days ago) @ marmot 1333

I'm curious too. The intro cutscene clearly depicts the Carybdis gravity weapon being deployed against the Oryx's fleet. Carybdis is a gravity manipulation weapon the Awoken use to fling asteroids at people, namely in the past: the Fallen during the Reef Wars.

But Carybdis is a tried and true weapon that operates independently of Mara Sov. In a HoW grimoire card, we get a short snippet of Mara Sov and her Techeuns trying to gather energy (what we see her do in the cutscene) and it's suggested that she hasn't been successful at it yet. So I think her light blast or energy blast or whatever that was, was being used in conjunction with Carybdis.

Been wondering about this, too *SP*

by HavokBlue, California, Thursday, September 17, 2015, 19:47 (3166 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

You use the fragment from Oryx's sword to forge a legendary sword via Shaxx. Requires 25 hadium and a spirit bloom/relic iron/whatever to make your choice of Arc Edge, Sol Edge, or Void Edge.

If you get your sword to 285 attack, you get a quest that presumably upgrades it to an exotic version.

*Just as Planned*

by HavokBlue, California, Thursday, September 17, 2015, 19:49 (3166 days ago) @ dogcow

Those orbs might be the Harbingers (which are weapons) but the asteroid flinging was the Carybdis weapon they previously employed to wreck the Fallen during the Reef Wars.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread