So... has anyone put much time into their Alts yet? (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, October 02, 2015, 16:25 (3121 days ago)

I've been thinking about this for a few days now, and then it came up during our raid last night.

Do any of you have your alts up and running at or close to Raid level? Is anyone spending any significant amount of time with their alts yet?

I played just enough with my Titan to unlock the 3rd subclass. Back on TTK launch day I played through the 8 story missions with my Warlock. Aside from that, it's been "all Hunter, all the time".

Thing is, I'm having a blast with my Hunter, and while I do want to dive back in with my other characters at some point, I don't feel the same pressure to "get things done" with my alts the way I did in year 1. I think it's a testament to how good TTK is that I can put 50+ hours into the expansion with a single character and still feel like I've got plenty to do without switching over. I'll get back to them eventually, but I don't feel rushed.

How about everyone else?

Technically, both of my alts are raid ready.

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Friday, October 02, 2015, 16:35 (3121 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I've even run the raid with one of them, but I haven't played through the story beyond the mission needed to get their new subclasses on either one. Once my hunter was good to go, I started shuffling my engrams over to my Titan and then to my Warlock. At the moment, they barely exist for anything but decrypting engrams. I figure once my Hunter's quest log is down to a single page, I get my exotic sword and my crazy post-raid scout rifle, I'll switch to one of the others and go through the story again.

For now, though, my Hunter is just having too much fun :)

-Disciple

So... has anyone put much time into their Alts yet?

by marmot 1333 @, Friday, October 02, 2015, 16:36 (3121 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

In year 1, I ran three titans. I remember people here talking about how boring/excessive/whatever that would be, but the main reason I did it was so I could share exotic & legendary armor.

I finally deleted one titan and created a new warlock. I plan on playing through the entire campaign and experiencing all the new questification. I think I got her to level 8 the other night; finished The Last Array.

Eventually I want to create a hunter as well. No time yet though.

So basically, no. Only have my main titan at lvl 40, light ~295ish.

I'm very impressed with Year 2 so far, and the amount of stuff to do. No complaints here.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, October 02, 2015, 16:38 (3121 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I've been thinking about this for a few days now, and then it came up during our raid last night.

Do any of you have your alts up and running at or close to Raid level? Is anyone spending any significant amount of time with their alts yet?

I played just enough with my Titan to unlock the 3rd subclass. Back on TTK launch day I played through the 8 story missions with my Warlock. Aside from that, it's been "all Hunter, all the time".

Thing is, I'm having a blast with my Hunter, and while I do want to dive back in with my other characters at some point, I don't feel the same pressure to "get things done" with my alts the way I did in year 1. I think it's a testament to how good TTK is that I can put 50+ hours into the expansion with a single character and still feel like I've got plenty to do without switching over. I'll get back to them eventually, but I don't feel rushed.

How about everyone else?

I've spent no time on anything except my warlock, and I'm perfectly happy. It's a bit of a relief.

The only thing driving me to play with another character is that I have to if I want to play with you fine people in PS4land.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Friday, October 02, 2015, 16:38 (3121 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I still need to finish up the Queens Wrath missions on my Warlock... I haven't touched my hunter for TTK. I don't think I will before Iron Banner hits and it makes me a little sad because I like running my hunter in PvP.

None

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Friday, October 02, 2015, 16:48 (3121 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I'm still having fun with my Titan and I'm saving at least one Alt to go through the story with my wife.

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Friday, October 02, 2015, 17:05 (3121 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I've put some time into my Warlock alt, as she's the one I usually play in the Crucible and the draw of Legendary Marks is strong. (Also I'd run into a lull of quests for my primary, so I thought I'd break things up a bit levelling her up.)

-- Steve has barely touched his Titan alt since TKK went live. Still, plenty of time for that later.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, October 02, 2015, 17:07 (3121 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Agreed. I just finished my exotic sword quest. Still haven't done much Court of Oryx. Still haven't done the Raid. But I'm playing at a nice pace and (trying to) help others ( sorry black spindle team!) and having fun.

That, and I'm afraid I'll be seduced by the Dark Side. (Stormcaller is an overpowered perversion, after all.)

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, October 02, 2015, 17:08 (3121 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I've finished everything up to the raid on my titan and his light is pretty much even with my hunter main (295-300). My warlock is about 289 light, but I haven't finished the story on it. Once I got my hunter geared up I started passing down legendary marks and engrams to my titan, then to my warlock. Everybody is geared up pretty well, so it's just passing down stuff to infuse now.

by Mad_Stylus, Friday, October 02, 2015, 17:12 (3121 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Titan is 295, and probably the best "raid ready" character I got. Main. Spent the most time, got the best stuff all around.

Hunter is raid ready if I decide to go on a Gunslinger build. Nightstalker gear is hovering at 293, which probably makes something of a difference. Keep hearing 295 is the magic number too consistently to be bullshit. Especially given my experience trying to get Black Spindle. Secondary, but I really like how she plays.

Warlock is low 290s. He's been my tertiary, so he's only gotten attention recently.

Even my main isn't as fully kitted out as when I tackled VoG. Not as much time to prepare, I think.

by CougRon, Auburn, WA, USA, Friday, October 02, 2015, 17:30 (3121 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

pretty much the same. I've done the first story mission on both and unlocked their subclasses but other then passing some weapons over for light and logging for xur's day I haven't done anything with them.

by Claude Errera @, Friday, October 02, 2015, 17:30 (3121 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

95% of my time has been spent on my Titan - but I got both other characters up to level 40, and by transferring gear (and engrams), they're both near Raid-level. (Heh. My TITAN hasn't completed a raid yet, so...)

My Hunter is at 291, Warlock at 282 (though he's being held back by a 200 blue artifact; if I can find a purple (which means playing on him), that'll jump to over 290 immediately). Gear isn't really the problem - playtime is. :)

I played my titan for about an hour this week, that is all.

by slycrel ⌂, Friday, October 02, 2015, 17:31 (3121 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Warlock 4ever! ;)

I find it very refreshing that I don't feel like having to run everything 3 times with different characters. I like my alts, but I like my main way better. My playtime previously reflected this and it's now even more pronounced. I plan on going through everything with all characters, but I feel like I have time to do so now, rather than rushing everyone up to raid x3 a week on them.

Two on PS4 are 290+ (Titan at 277), one on Xbox at 289.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, October 02, 2015, 17:42 (3121 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Since my gear is pretty much at max outside of Raid drops, I've been using it as Infusion fodder for my Hunter (Nightstalkers are the new Sunsingers in terms of PvE usefulness), and once that's maxed out, I'll focus on my Titan.

On Xbox, I'm doing the same for my Hunter, since all of my Warlock gear is 290+ (but the weapons hold me back by a lot), but since she's not at 40 yet, I can't really do much.

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Friday, October 02, 2015, 17:53 (3121 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

On my day off I started playing on my main (warlock) ran through all of the base missions to get things going and then switched to my Alt Hunter, because why not?

Well, that Hunter is sitting at 302 with multiple raid completions and most other stuff done, just working on exotic quests and such now. So basically my alt just became my main lol

I've been shooting engrams over to my warlock and titan but haven't done much with them besides that.

Perks of only having one character :)

by R41, Friday, October 02, 2015, 18:25 (3121 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

by Andivian, Earth, Friday, October 02, 2015, 18:55 (3121 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

My titan is 300ish and my warlock is about 286. I was keeping them even during the first week or so but raiding has jumped my titan ahead.

Not at all

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, October 02, 2015, 19:26 (3121 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I've been meaning to start my Hunter and to get Hammerbro for my Titan, but TTK is so goddamn fun I can't quite stop playing with my Warlock yet

Nope, not really.

by cheapLEY @, Friday, October 02, 2015, 21:33 (3121 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Warlock main is sitting at 297ish, hoping to finally beat the Raid this evening. Still have the Exotic Sword Quest and the Gunsmith Exotic quest.

I played through the main story up to killing Oryx with my Hunter. She's currently at level 39, just need maybe one bounty to get her to 40.

My Titan (who was at level 7 or 8 before The Taken King dropped) used the shard thing to get to 25, and that's it. By the way, using that also gives you appropriately level blue gear, that way your light level isn't way out of whack.

I am eager to play with my other classes, just because all of the new subclass look like so much fun, but I've still go plenty to do on my Warlock. Might start trying to get the Touch of Malice with her next week after I'm Raid complete.

I may also put that off and start working on an alt, but I'm not sure if I want to continue with my Hunter and bring her up to snuff, or give my Titan some love.

Hunter & Warlock 290+, Titan 270+

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Saturday, October 03, 2015, 01:14 (3121 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I've been focusing on the Hunter that we do Rampancy LPs with, and he maxes out around 294 now. My warlock that I do solo and crucible stuff with is at 290. My titan is what my wife and I play co-op with, and they're stuck around 270 unless I start moving a lot of weapons and ghost shells around.

Bizzaro world

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, October 03, 2015, 01:24 (3121 days ago) @ narcogen

I never thought I'd ever see you ahead of me in terms of progression Narcogen. I've got a 305 Hunter and two others at 170.

Bizzaro world

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Saturday, October 03, 2015, 05:04 (3121 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I never thought I'd ever see you ahead of me in terms of progression Narcogen. I've got a 305 Hunter and two others at 170.

I'm not sure I'd say that's ahead of you. I think it takes a lot more time to go from 290 to 300+ than it does to go from, say, 260 to 280. So by evening out play time over all characters, I was able to get two characters into 290s. I also had a few hundred coins and a few hundred motes to put into faction rep and get a bunch of packages, and I've gotten lucky with exotic engrams from Xur, and a decent drop rate when using Three of Coins as well.

Blackstar and I also made a big push to try and get to near raid level in the first week. We didn't quite make it-- only got to 270 or so-- but that meant getting to 290 from there was not that difficult.

I also spent the week after the 2.0 launch but before TTK dropped completing bounties and NOT turning them in, so I got from 34 to 39 almost immediately. Not sure how relevant that really was, since I'm not even sure level counts for anything except as a minimum requirement for certain gear, but...

What I haven't been able to do since that first attempt is do any more of the raid, so I haven't gotten my hands on that 300 level ghost that is supposed to be there.

No. My Warlock is now irrelevant.

by ProbablyLast, Saturday, October 03, 2015, 02:29 (3121 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

All are raid ready, though. I just don't enjoy my Warlock as much anymore.

How dare you.

by Funkmon @, Saturday, October 03, 2015, 03:38 (3121 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

- No text -

Haven't even unlocked dumb lightning guy.

by ProbablyLast, Saturday, October 03, 2015, 04:35 (3121 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

He's right.

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Saturday, October 03, 2015, 04:40 (3121 days ago) @ Funkmon

The new raid doesn't have much room for error. Selfrezzing doens't offer nearly as much benefit as it did in the old raids. The final two stages of Kfall have too short a time frame for even the shortest death, except for maybe the guy killing adds.

I think Defenders, Nightstalkers, and Hammerflingers are the best three subs for the raid. I wonder how well an invis bladedancer would work in some of the battles. If you get Gorgoroth's gaze and go invis will he still shoot orbs at you? I also wonder how much damage a Gunslinger can do with the Nighthawk helmet and all the boosts from WoL, and the Void Bow.

I'd say the best choice for warlock is the Storm Caller for add cleanup and making orbs.

In PvP Voidwalkers are still crazy good. That nova bomb is as deadly as ever.

I used self res during final (successful) fight. spoiler

by Funkmon @, Saturday, October 03, 2015, 07:16 (3121 days ago) @ red robber
edited by Funkmon, Saturday, October 03, 2015, 07:25

It was not during a hold the plate phase, but that's also not usually when people die.

And as a gaze guy for ogre, if the balls get you, no problem. Just res. I think it's very useful. The charge the plate encounter also is better if you can res. Also, don't discount the utility of the super itself. A billion grenades take down a lot of dudes' health. Flame shield is a lifesaver. Two grenades can destroy a pink faced ogre.

Don't mistake not being an overt support or maximum DPS class as being less useful just because it's less obvious.

by ProbablyLast, Saturday, October 03, 2015, 15:12 (3120 days ago) @ Funkmon

You are also used to using it as a crutch, which is fine. I just find slagbow Hunter or Bubble/Hammer Titan more fun to play as right now. I'm sure when hard mode raid drops I'll switch to free revive, because balance.

by Funkmon @, Saturday, October 03, 2015, 17:58 (3120 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

You are also used to using it as a crutch.

Yuuuuuuuuup. I play super aggressive because I have the punch shield and can revive. Much more fun.

Gotta agree with funkmon *SP*

by slycrel ⌂, Saturday, October 03, 2015, 13:10 (3120 days ago) @ red robber

I use sunsinger for most of the raid. Sticky grenades are great DPS for majors and ultras. I enjoyed sticking oryx just before he died last time. I use stormcaller during Golgoroth because it really helps when the taken start spawning all over. Voidwalker seems the weakest, but that may or may not actually be the case -- I haven't tried it yet.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, October 03, 2015, 13:14 (3120 days ago) @ slycrel

I use sunsinger for most of the raid. Sticky grenades are great DPS for majors and ultras. I enjoyed sticking oryx just before he died last time. I use stormcaller during Golgoroth because it really helps when the taken start spawning all over. Voidwalker seems the weakest, but that may or may not actually be the case -- I haven't tried it yet.

I could see Voidwalkers being great for the Warpriest, Deathsingers, and possibly Oryx. All 3 of those fights feature clusters of adds spawning in close proximity: perfect Nova Bomb fodder ;)

And yes, I too agree with Funkmon. I think all of the subclasses have plenty of opportunity to be useful in the raid. It seems very well thought out in that regard.

by slycrel ⌂, Monday, October 05, 2015, 03:44 (3119 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I could see Voidwalkers being great for the Warpriest, Deathsingers, and possibly Oryx. All 3 of those fights feature clusters of adds spawning in close proximity: perfect Nova Bomb fodder ;)

And yes, I too agree with Funkmon. I think all of the subclasses have plenty of opportunity to be useful in the raid. It seems very well thought out in that regard.

Yeah, I've been impressed with how there is no reliance on supers in general, but each class can bring a number of things to the table. Bungie did a great job with it.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread