Audio Problems in The Taken King Soundtrack? (Destiny)

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Sunday, October 04, 2015, 03:26 (3126 days ago)

[image]There are a number of audio "glitches" in the Taken King Soundtrack that make me wonder if the master files were exported incorrectly when they authored the soundtrack.

These errors always appear at the same spot and they always sound the same, sort of like a sparkly crinkling noise on top of the music. I'm no audio expert, but it sounds to me like a clipping issue, maybe?

I've tried playing the files through several different computers in addition to my normal headphone DAC/amplifier setup. The issues are consistent on both pairs of (rather nice) headphones that I own across all devices. I purchased the soundtrack from the Bungie Store and all three formats (ALAC, FLAC,and MP3) have identical issues. The problem regions always seem to behave the same, which is why I'm wondering if there's an error in the original export.

As a sanity check, I did my best to clip out a couple of the problematic regions that have been driving me nuts in the first three tracks: Clipping Sample (320Kbps MP3, use headphones). The errors can be heard at 0:15, 0:26, 0:30, 0:42-0:44. The recording here is at a little lower level to prevent accidental clipping, but I can still hear them in here. It's even more noticeable when played directly.

For those of you who have purchased the Taken King Soundtrack (either the lossless version from the Bungie Store or from iTunes/Amazon), do you notice these problems in your copies or did I get an "extra special" edition? :-P

Update:
The timestamps of errors in the clips above are:

01 Path to Oryx:  1:22-1:25
02 Regicide:      0:05, 0:09
03 Remembrance:   0:02-0:04

There are several others throughout the whole thing; I mostly wanted to see if other people had noticed and were bothered by it.

Audio Problems in The Taken King Soundtrack?

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Sunday, October 04, 2015, 03:56 (3126 days ago) @ Beorn

[image]There are a number of audio "glitches" in the Taken King Soundtrack that make me wonder if the master files were exported incorrectly when they authored the soundtrack.

These errors always appear at the same spot and they always sound the same, sort of like a sparkly crinkling noise on top of the music. I'm no audio expert, but it sounds to me like a clipping issue, maybe?

I've tried playing the files through several different computers in addition to my normal headphone DAC/amplifier setup. The issues are consistent on both pairs of (rather nice) headphones that I own across all devices. I purchased the soundtrack from the Bungie Store and all three formats (ALAC, FLAC,and MP3) have identical issues. The problem regions always seem to behave the same, which is why I'm wondering if there's an error in the original export.

As a sanity check, I did my best to clip out a couple of the problematic regions that have been driving me nuts in the first three tracks: MP3 Clipping Sample (320Kbps, use headphones). The errors can be heard at 0:15, 0:26, 0:30, 0:42-0:44. The recording here is at a little lower level to prevent accidental clipping, but I can still hear them in here. It's even more noticeable when played directly.

For those of you who have purchased the Taken King Soundtrack (either the lossless version from the Bungie Store or from iTunes/Amazon), do you notice these problems in your copies or did I get an "extra special" edition? :-P

So the 2nd and 3rd examples definitely sound like clipping. The first example is strange... almost sounds like an editing splice gone wrong. Not entirely sure.

Sounds to me like the OST was just mastered poorly/in a hurry (same thing, really).

Interesting thing

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Sunday, October 04, 2015, 03:57 (3126 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

The same music in-game doesn't have those problems at all (i.e., in the title screen).

Interesting thing

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Sunday, October 04, 2015, 03:58 (3126 days ago) @ Beorn

The same music in-game doesn't have those problems at all (i.e., in the title screen).

Yep. That's why I'm guessing something went wrong in the OST mastering, as I expect that is done separately from the in-game mastering.

How dare you.

by Funkmon @, Sunday, October 04, 2015, 03:58 (3126 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Sounds to me like the OST was just mastered poorly/in a hurry (same thing, really).

As a musician who has recorded songs himself, I can say with certainty that I can easily master something poorly AND slowly.

How dare you.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Sunday, October 04, 2015, 03:59 (3126 days ago) @ Funkmon

As a musician who has recorded songs himself, I can say with certainty that I can easily master something poorly AND slowly.

Lol... you and me both :)

How dare you.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Sunday, October 04, 2015, 14:04 (3126 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Lol... you and me both :)

He certainly is mastering a sock eating video poorly and slowly.

How dare you.

by Funkmon @, Sunday, October 04, 2015, 18:02 (3125 days ago) @ bluerunner

Haven't even recorded it. I still have to pick up the PAX shirt from probablylast, who will film sock.

Have you at least practiced?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, October 04, 2015, 21:38 (3125 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

Audio Problems in The Taken King Soundtrack?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, October 04, 2015, 04:12 (3126 days ago) @ Beorn

01 Path to Oryx:  1:22-1:25
02 Regicide:      0:05, 0:09
03 Remembrance:   0:02-0:04

Yep. I hear them in the iTunes version.

No more Marty = lower quality control?

by car15, Sunday, October 04, 2015, 16:37 (3125 days ago) @ Beorn

- No text -

That's just silly

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Sunday, October 04, 2015, 18:12 (3125 days ago) @ car15

Suggesting that the Audio department doesn't know what it's doing is patently ridiculous.

My guess is that there's a bug in some part of their toolchain; I've run into something like this before with certain versions of the Adobe Creative Suite and the only fix was to use a different version. :-\

I'd really like them to republish a "fixed" version of the tracks, though.

That's just silly

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, October 04, 2015, 20:24 (3125 days ago) @ Beorn

Suggesting that the Audio department doesn't know what it's doing is patently ridiculous.

It's really Quality Control's problem.

That's just silly

by Kahzgul, Sunday, October 04, 2015, 21:58 (3125 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It's really Quality Control's problem.

Yup. From what I'm reading here, Quality Control blew it. I expect Bungie will re-issue the tracks without the errors for free to purchasers.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread