Why is Bungie reintroducing old problems? (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, October 04, 2015, 16:45 (3119 days ago)

Remember when Bungie eliminated the need to farm planetary materials in order to level up your guns? That was awesome. So why the FUCK did they re-introduce that?

90% Of the complaints I have with TTK are from these god damn Hadium Flakes.

Why is Bungie reintroducing old problems?

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, October 04, 2015, 16:56 (3119 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The problem is made worse from the fact that you can only get them from chests, unlike Wormspore. The collection rate is much lower, unless you actually spend significant amounts of time farming them. Was it really necessary to introduce TWO new planetary materials?

by Claude Errera @, Sunday, October 04, 2015, 17:41 (3119 days ago) @ cheapLEY

The problem is made worse from the fact that you can only get them from chests, unlike Wormspore. The collection rate is much lower, unless you actually spend significant amounts of time farming them. Was it really necessary to introduce TWO new planetary materials?

So I don't really 'farm' them, in the sense that I spend any real time looking for them... but whenever I go to the dreadnaught (which seems to be every day, at least), I do a round of the four commonest chest locations in the first area (Hull Breach). Adds maybe a minute to whatever I'm doing, gets me 3-4 flakes each time. I've used 50 so far (25 each for two swords), and still have about 150.

So yes, I'm doing something other than pure playing - but it's pretty trivial, and it gets me all I need.

Same.

by Funkmon @, Sunday, October 04, 2015, 18:00 (3119 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

Flakes are annoying, wormspore is trival

by Durandal, Sunday, October 04, 2015, 18:48 (3119 days ago) @ Funkmon

I have a ghost that gives wormspore when decoding engrams. I think I got a hundred just from decoding. I expect there are similar perks for the other materials, so really you just need to farm the flakes.

Flakes are annoying, wormspore is trival

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, October 04, 2015, 18:57 (3119 days ago) @ Durandal

Yeah, I have nearly over 400 Wormspore and I haven't collected any at the Dreadnaught in over a week.

Flakes are a different story.

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, October 04, 2015, 18:56 (3119 days ago) @ Claude Errera

So I don't really 'farm' them, in the sense that I spend any real time looking for them... but whenever I go to the dreadnaught (which seems to be every day, at least), I do a round of the four commonest chest locations in the first area (Hull Breach). Adds maybe a minute to whatever I'm doing, gets me 3-4 flakes each time. I've used 50 so far (25 each for two swords), and still have about 150.

So yes, I'm doing something other than pure playing - but it's pretty trivial, and it gets me all I need.

That sounds like a pretty good idea.

I'll be honest, I haven't had an issue with it yet. I'm still on step one of the Exotic Sword quest. All of my playtime in the past week and a half has been trying to finish the Raid and the occasional daily Heroic story and daily Crucible for Legendary Marks.

I haven't been to the Dreadnaught Patrol since week one of TTK. But I guess that doing the Hull Breach/Mausoleum lap every time I go there will net me a decent amount of Flakes.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Sunday, October 04, 2015, 22:08 (3119 days ago) @ Claude Errera

If you're going to the dreadnaught on a regular basis, that's a great way to approach it. I have the same problem with Flakes that I do with the relic iron farming portion of the exotic quest, which is that I'm rarely doing activities that would let me acquire those resources naturally, so the only way for me to complete these quests is to set aside time and farm them. Farming the flakes wasn't so bad, but the relic iron farming was brutal.

Cut that relic farming time in half

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Monday, October 05, 2015, 13:01 (3118 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

You can sometimes get the glitch to work where if you pick up a material with the shard in a spot next to the tunnel (ex... between the Barrens and the Buried City) you can jump on your sparrow and race to the next loading zone, then come back and pick up the material again. I was able to get 3 shards this way last night. In all, it took me around 50 minutes to get 10 shards on Mars last night before bed.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, October 05, 2015, 13:04 (3118 days ago) @ unoudid

You can sometimes get the glitch to work where if you pick up a material with the shard in a spot next to the tunnel (ex... between the Barrens and the Buried City) you can jump on your sparrow and race to the next loading zone, then come back and pick up the material again. I was able to get 3 shards this way last night. In all, it took me around 50 minutes to get 10 shards on Mars last night before bed.

Good idea. I'll have to keep that in mind next time I do the quest. Thanks!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, October 05, 2015, 13:20 (3118 days ago) @ unoudid

Except that they explicitly fixed this for chests on the dreadnaught. There was one you could loot repeatedly near the founts entrance in the mausoleum. You can no longer do this.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, October 05, 2015, 13:27 (3118 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Except that they explicitly fixed this for chests on the dreadnaught. There was one you could loot repeatedly near the founts entrance in the mausoleum. You can no longer do this.

Yeah, won't work on the Dreadnaught but it will help with the Relic shard portion of the exotic sword quest, which is way worse.

In Defense of Hadium flakes

by electricpirate @, Monday, October 05, 2015, 00:30 (3119 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Well, at least a partial defense.

Hadium flakes are a *Great* way to learn about how the dreadnaught works. They teach about chest locations, how the shortcuts work, looking for secrets etc.

That learning probably extends into the quest for the calcified fragments, where the need to be really thorough is paramount. In theory you can be doing both, so gaining Hadium flakes helps teach you where to look for more.

All that said, the numbers of flakes are too goddamn high, especially later on in the game, after you've plumbed the dreadnaught a bunch already. It's especially punishing to the people who power leveled. Those people probably put the court on farm, or went straight to strikes, so the kind of natural accumulation that occurs by going back in to the dreadnaught again and again doesn't work in their favor.

IMO after a certain light level, or after the legendary sword quest is finished flakes should start dropping in other contexts. That way you can start using flakes as a carrot for more fun stuff (court, etc)

In Defense of Hadium flakes

by Kahzgul, Monday, October 05, 2015, 19:19 (3118 days ago) @ electricpirate

Well, at least a partial defense.

Hadium flakes are a *Great* way to learn about how the dreadnaught works. They teach about chest locations, how the shortcuts work, looking for secrets etc.

That learning probably extends into the quest for the calcified fragments, where the need to be really thorough is paramount. In theory you can be doing both, so gaining Hadium flakes helps teach you where to look for more.

All that said, the numbers of flakes are too goddamn high, especially later on in the game, after you've plumbed the dreadnaught a bunch already. It's especially punishing to the people who power leveled. Those people probably put the court on farm, or went straight to strikes, so the kind of natural accumulation that occurs by going back in to the dreadnaught again and again doesn't work in their favor.

IMO after a certain light level, or after the legendary sword quest is finished flakes should start dropping in other contexts. That way you can start using flakes as a carrot for more fun stuff (court, etc)

Agreed. I want a ghost that gives hadium flakes on engram pickup on the dreadnaught SO BADLY.

I'd settle for a 20 wormspore == 1 hadium trade w/ eris

by slycrel ⌂, Monday, October 05, 2015, 19:22 (3118 days ago) @ Kahzgul

- No text -

+1000

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, October 05, 2015, 19:41 (3118 days ago) @ slycrel

- No text -

I'd settle for a 20 wormspore == 1 hadium trade w/ eris

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, October 05, 2015, 19:47 (3118 days ago) @ slycrel

by Mad_Stylus, Monday, October 05, 2015, 03:02 (3119 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It hasn't been so much an issue, I think, because the chests are fairly easy to find. Even without shells for it, I end up stumbling across dozens of chest a patrol. Plus, your Hadium needs aren't all that much. You don't need 16 for every node of every legendary or exotic.

Its something to do between all the shooting, and I've liked exploring the dreadnaught so far anyways.

Much different environment than year one mat farming.

Some people's experience is different than mine.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Monday, October 05, 2015, 05:12 (3119 days ago) @ Mad_Stylus
edited by uberfoop, Monday, October 05, 2015, 05:17

First time I did Dreadnaught patrol, I found one chest in half an hour. Well, I found tons of special-purpose chests that I couldn't open; but just one single "standard" chest.

Part of the issue is that merely going into the generic chest rooms feels like "going out of my way to farm" to me. Those are where most of the opportunities are, and it doesn't feel like a very natural aspect of Destiny's gameplay.

Although yes, after a point it basically doesn't matter.

it matters *minor SP*

by Kahzgul, Monday, October 05, 2015, 19:21 (3118 days ago) @ uberfoop

The first 25 flakes I needed for the sword quest flowed naturally. I needed to farm all of 4 flakes at that point in my adventuring. No big deal.

Maybe I shouldn't have killed Oryx so soon, but the quest there to get 50 more damn flakes is a brutal farmfest for me, and the additional 10 flakes per node once you get the weapon are equally punishing. By the time you're killing oryx, it would be nice to have had access to a means of increasing flake collection rates.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread