Necromancer's Light (Exotic Warlock gauntlet concept) (Fan Creations)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, October 12, 2015, 09:06 (3118 days ago)

Necromancer's Light (Warlock Gauntlets)

[image]
"You are a conduit. Between sky and earth. Electricity and matter. Life and death."

Directed Electrical Flux of Instant Betterment- Landfall can instantly revive a Guardian, while Stormtrance can revive fallen Guardians at range and speed up cooldown timers.

---

What it does: Give the Stormtrance Super the ability to revive teammates in different ways. Opens an opportunity to quickly shift the odds of an encounter, while offering a trade-off for Stormcallers who wish to use their ability in a more support-oriented way. Focusing the stormtrance on a downed teammate causes the cooldown timer to speed up (three times the normal speed), which can be very useful in Darkness Zones. While Landfall revives are instant, Stormtrance revives occur at normal speed, although it does take into account armors that speed up revives. Stormtrance revives do not grant overshield, however, so use at your own risk (although the Stag helmet can override that), though Landfall revives do grant an overshield to the person being revived (as he may be caught off guard by the sudden revive).

Why: Destiny is missing a "Combat Medic" class, and the Stormcaller class has the potential to fill that role. Many situations quickly deteriorate for players when one of the team is dead (King's Fall, anyone?), so many people might find that the trade off of sacrificing their offense-based Super is worth it to keep their team in play, especially in situations where the cooldown timer (such as in Darkness Zones) can prove detrimental to a team's strategy.

Aesthetics: I wanted the exotic to be all about disparity; from the name that invokes both darkness and light, to the way the gauntlets look vicious and deadly (which contrasts the way they give life and hope). They focus an offense-heavy crowd-control Super into a healing role that focuses on a single teammate at a time, and it all fits in with the theme of life and death, dying and revival.
For that, I used the Daedric gauntlets from Skyrim, which look awesome, distinct, and dangerous.

Balance: Players are more encouraged to sit and focus the dangerous Super (and its Landfall perk) on a teammate, which may be far from enemy targets, causing the Stormcaller to sacrifice it for a different purpose.
The use of it is situational, but can also encourage players to hold on to it (similar to Sunsingers), which may also be detrimental to the team, so players have to make tough decisions about their Super use, which can be an even more serious responsibility during Trials.

Necromancer's Light (Exotic Warlock gauntlet concept)

by TheeChaos @, Monday, October 12, 2015, 10:06 (3118 days ago) @ Korny

I really like this idea, but I am a little confused, do they still get to do Damage, or does stormtrance only work in a supportive fashion?

Necromancer's Light (Exotic Warlock gauntlet concept)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, October 12, 2015, 16:52 (3118 days ago) @ TheeChaos

I really like this idea, but I am a little confused, do they still get to do Damage, or does stormtrance only work in a supportive fashion?

They still get to do damage, but can't chain from a revive to an enemy.
I also thought about the idea that each revive would eat a chunk of the overall super, but people would rarely ever use it. I decided that using up precious seconds for a Revive (often nowhere near an enemy) was enough.

But you can totally Landfall a teammate back to life then run after the enemy with the Super. You do telegraph your position early, though...

I like it!

by slycrel ⌂, Monday, October 12, 2015, 13:39 (3118 days ago) @ Korny

I really like the landfall/insta-res thing, that's fantastic. And it's very unique to speed up the cooldowns. I like the support idea. Based on your description, most players would be confused as to what this actually does though. It also may be OP and would make light beyond nemesis pretty well obsolete. :D

This reads more like a new 4th class than an exotic perk. Which I would totally play. =) For the perk I think it's too nuanced. Here's my suggestion for tweaks:

When using your super add an AoE effect, rather than directed, to speed up nearby orb cooldowns rather than directing it. Visually you could arc white lightning to the orbs near you or something. Plus it would be fun to kill all the enemies surrounding an orb while getting it ready for revival. Or slam into a group that's on top of an orb (with landfall) and bring up your buddy while frying everything.

The landfall res should reduce your remaining super energy by half, minimum 25% total. Reduce overall super time by 25%.

I like it!

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, October 13, 2015, 04:59 (3117 days ago) @ slycrel

I really like the landfall/insta-res thing, that's fantastic. And it's very unique to speed up the cooldowns. I like the support idea. Based on your description, most players would be confused as to what this actually does though. It also may be OP and would make light beyond nemesis pretty well obsolete. :D

I'm totally behind your suggestion that it should use up 25% of the charge; still left with a fair amount of Super, but you do have to pay a small fee. LBN would have the advantage of working for every class (especially since most run as Sunsingers in Trials), and not needing to rely on the Super. Also, players would have to use the Landfall perk, or they wouldn't have access to the ability.

This reads more like a new 4th class than an exotic perk. Which I would totally play. =) For the perk I think it's too nuanced. Here's my suggestion for tweaks:

Before they announced the third classes, I was actually making my own, which revolved around the idea of a combat medic (they even had a grenade that resembled Halo 3's Regenerator equipment), so you're onto something alright. ;)

When using your super add an AoE effect, rather than directed, to speed up nearby orb cooldowns rather than directing it. Visually you could arc white lightning to the orbs near you or something. Plus it would be fun to kill all the enemies surrounding an orb while getting it ready for revival. Or slam into a group that's on top of an orb (with landfall) and bring up your buddy while frying everything.

The landfall res should reduce your remaining super energy by half, minimum 25% total. Reduce overall super time by 25%.

Thanatonaut's Light? *nm*

by HavokBlue, California, Monday, October 12, 2015, 16:45 (3118 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

Great idea.

by Kahzgul, Monday, October 12, 2015, 19:14 (3117 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

Daedric gauntlets?

by Raflection, Tuesday, October 13, 2015, 20:40 (3116 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread