Halo 5 Twitch Streams Tonight (Gaming)

by TheeChaos @, Tuesday, October 20, 2015, 18:14 (3120 days ago)

[image]

Found it on Gamestop.com. No further details but I know there are some big Halo fans here.

Let me know how it goes if you watch!

Related: do any of you know a way to reserve a game rental?

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, October 20, 2015, 18:24 (3120 days ago) @ TheeChaos

Like at a video store or gamefly?

That sounds worse than pre-orders. Don't give them ideas

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Tuesday, October 20, 2015, 18:33 (3120 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

That sounds worse than pre-orders. Don't give them ideas

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, October 20, 2015, 18:43 (3120 days ago) @ Pyromancy

The beauty is, if Family Video orders 10 copies, they only get the revenue for 10 copies. Game companies don't make a lot of dough on game rentals.

I'm planning on renting this SOB, seeing if it is my kind of game, and if it is, buying it in 6 months.

You could always buy it and sell it back

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, October 20, 2015, 19:10 (3120 days ago) @ Funkmon

It took me just over 4 hours to clear Rage when it came out. I returned it the next day. Purchase price: $60. resale price: $54. Total cost to me: $6 (and the anguish of knowing how shitty that game's ending was).

Not every game will get that kind of resale value (and lord knows Rage shouldn't have), but it's an option to think about.

Speaking of ... a comparison to Destiny

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, October 20, 2015, 19:00 (3120 days ago) @ TheeChaos

I'm finding the differences refreshing

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, October 20, 2015, 19:34 (3120 days ago) @ Kermit

I can't say much yet about Halo 5, but I'll say that I'm enjoying the change of pace. It feels more tightly crafted and focused than Destiny. Both experiences have their advantages, but I think there's room for both.

I'm finding the differences refreshing

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, October 20, 2015, 19:50 (3120 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I can't say much yet about Halo 5, but I'll say that I'm enjoying the change of pace. It feels more tightly crafted and focused than Destiny. Both experiences have their advantages, but I think there's room for both.

Oh yeah, I anticipate and I'm looking forward to the change of pace (i.e., a more traditional campaign). So glad it's my PS4 and not my Xbox that decided to go on the fritz at the moment.

(Knock on wood.)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, October 20, 2015, 23:39 (3120 days ago) @ Kermit

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2015/10/19/destiny-vs-halo-5-guardians-and-how-bungies-new-shooter-has-changed-o...

I can kind of sympathize in terms of the feel. Destiny just has better gun mechanics, as well as character movement. Everything has weight and impact. It's very distracting going back to FPS games where this isn't so, even ones that felt good at the time. Halo included.

The Halo 1 shotgun felt great, but fire it in 2, 3 and beyond and it feels like a feather.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, October 21, 2015, 00:03 (3120 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Agreed.

I was actually a bit surprised when I got my Xbone and started playing the MCC. Halo 1 is still Halo 1, aka: My favorite FPS of all time... but the others? They feel light and floaty and firing the guns is missing kick and bounce and weight. Reach made a definite move back to a better feel, in my opinion, and Halo 4 was better as well, it's other various problems not withstanding.

Really, I find it amusing at how much my views have changed on some things in the past two years. Before Destiny I was against the mechanic of aiming down the sights and completely recharging health. To me, Halo 1 and Reach got things right and based on my bad experiences with things call Call of Duty and even Crysis where I never felt like I could even find enemies much less shoot them without aiming. Then Destiny comes out and it all clicks and works and is awesome.

The reason Destiny is still around a year later is because, if nothing else, Bungie completely nailed the core base gameplay in ways I wasn't sure were even possible.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, October 21, 2015, 00:06 (3120 days ago) @ Cody Miller

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2015/10/19/destiny-vs-halo-5-guardians-and-how-bungies-new-shooter-has-changed-o...

I can kind of sympathize in terms of the feel. Destiny just has better gun mechanics, as well as character movement. Everything has weight and impact. It's very distracting going back to FPS games where this isn't so, even ones that felt good at the time. Halo included.

The Halo 1 shotgun felt great, but fire it in 2, 3 and beyond and it feels like a feather.

I can say that Halo 5 has made some major improvements in this area. I don't think the weapons feel as good as Destiny's, but the Spartans themselves have much more weight, impact, and power than they used to. When you hit a grunt with a thruster charge, it really feels like you just crush the poor thing :)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, October 21, 2015, 00:59 (3119 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I can say that Halo 5 has made some major improvements in this area. I don't think the weapons feel as good as Destiny's, but the Spartans themselves have much more weight, impact, and power than they used to. When you hit a grunt with a thruster charge, it really feels like you just crush the poor thing :)

Someone is breaking the review embargo.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, October 21, 2015, 01:28 (3119 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Someone is breaking the review embargo.

Nope. We're allowed to talk about our impressions from 3 of the missions.

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, October 21, 2015, 01:43 (3119 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Can you give us extremely detailed impressions?

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, October 21, 2015, 01:59 (3119 days ago) @ Funkmon

Yeah, he's going to talk about it in the next RUL podcast, which will come out two weeks after Halo 5 is released. (:

Seriously, though, when's the next one?

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, October 21, 2015, 02:10 (3119 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Yeah, he's going to talk about it in the next RUL podcast, which will come out two weeks after Halo 5 is released. (:

Seriously, though, when's the next one?

Lol... Well the plan is to record a Halo 5 special this Sunday to release Tuesday or Wednesday :)

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, October 21, 2015, 03:31 (3119 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Lol... Well the plan is to record a Halo 5 special this Sunday to release Tuesday or Wednesday :)

Cool! Hopefully I'll be able to stop playing it long enough to give it a listen. (:

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, October 21, 2015, 01:38 (3119 days ago) @ Kermit

I think it's pretty undisputed that Bungie is the king of making great "feeling" first person shooters. They just nail it.

I think 343i has done a good job in that respect with Halo, though.

About two weeks ago I played through ODST for the first time in years. It is definitely the best Bungie Halo in terms of "feel". It feels grounded in a way that the others don't. I haven't played Reach in years, as I no longer have a 360, so maybe that holds up even better.

I'm now currently a bit more than halfway through Halo 4, and it felt miles better than ODST in certain aspects, mainly player movement. Granted, it benefits from being more modern and having sprint, so it fits the feel of a modern shooter and what we're used to now. But the Spartans in Halo 4 seem to have a lot more weight to their movements, and it just feels right. So I'm confident 343i can (and probably did) get that right in Halo 5.

Some of the weapons weren't as satisfying (the AR feels puny, just because of the way it sounds, I think. In terms of damage output, I think the Halo 4 AR is the best it ever was). The M6C from ODST is still one of my favorite videogame firearms; it just feels so damn good to use. But some of 343i's weapons really stand out as satisfying for me (The DMR for one, the rail gun, and I personally loved all of the Forerunner weapons), so, again, I know it's something 343i can get right. I think the biggest detriment is some of their sound designs for human weapons isn't that great; some of those weapons just don't sound like they have any firepower, and that's like ninety percent of what makes a weapon fun for me.

Does the warthog still sound like a moped?

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Wednesday, October 21, 2015, 11:35 (3119 days ago) @ TheeChaos

- No text -

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, October 21, 2015, 11:46 (3119 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

I generally don't trash 343i's work, as I like most of it, and I don't mind them changing things and putting their own spin on Halo, but jeez did they screw up the Warthog.

It sounds awful, and who had the bright idea to go back to using normal ass suspension? It just looks so much less cool now. And I miss the loose handling of Bungie's Warthog. ):

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, October 21, 2015, 15:58 (3119 days ago) @ cheapLEY

And I miss the loose handling of Bungie's Warthog. ):

To be fair, even Bungie's own implementation lost a lot of that looseness from Halo 2 onward.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread