Refer a friend live (Destiny)

by Lekku, Canada, Monday, November 23, 2015, 17:56 (3077 days ago)

Seems like the refer a friend stuff is activated on Bungie.net. Its a whole new tab under your profile.

And a new trailer: https://youtu.be/xnIjDOByArk

Dat high five emote...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, November 23, 2015, 18:04 (3077 days ago) @ Lekku

Seems like the refer a friend stuff is activated on Bungie.net. Its a whole new tab under your profile.

And a new trailer: https://youtu.be/xnIjDOByArk

Looks like Bungie took one of my ideas with interactive emotes! Hurk durk!

#KornyMiller

Refer a friend live

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Monday, November 23, 2015, 18:09 (3077 days ago) @ Lekku

Hmm, I wonder if my nephews have picked this up yet or if they're getting it for Christmas. Perhaps Uncle DogCow needs to intervene.

B.net blocked at work....

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Monday, November 23, 2015, 20:32 (3077 days ago) @ Lekku

what do you have to do to get the loot? do you and your friend have to play all the content together?

Toughest quest in the game?

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, November 23, 2015, 20:40 (3077 days ago) @ Lekku

Seriously, at this point what are the chances of finding someone who hasn't played Destiny yet but wants to get it to it? Destiny 2 might be another story, but for now I feel like most gamers have decided 1 way or the other. Newcomers are about to become the most valuable "consumable" in the whole game ;)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, November 23, 2015, 21:50 (3077 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Seriously, at this point what are the chances of finding someone who hasn't played Destiny yet but wants to get it to it? Destiny 2 might be another story, but for now I feel like most gamers have decided 1 way or the other. Newcomers are about to become the most valuable "consumable" in the whole game ;)

Or you can have a friend make another PSN account, then run through those missions before deleting the account.

Also, since it's post-TTK, wouldn't most of us have that questline under our Abandoned quests tab?

OR

by Funkmon @, Monday, November 23, 2015, 22:46 (3077 days ago) @ Korny

Don't. And just let it happen organically.

OR

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, November 24, 2015, 03:35 (3077 days ago) @ Funkmon

Don't. And just let it happen organically.

Not entirely sure how often you "organically" run through the entire Speaker questline with someone who has never played the game... But hey, whatever floats your ghost.

You don't use pesticides! Duh!

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, November 24, 2015, 13:09 (3076 days ago) @ Korny

I mean, some guy at work says "so what about this Destiny thing?"

"Oh. Hey Steve. I can play through it with you if you want and show you the ropes. They have bomb ass rewards for playing through the main quest with your friend."

"Oh shit, son. Let's do it. I have an Xbox One since I made a rational decision based on continuity of my friends list and the practically inconsequential performance differences. Gamertag is Xxsexyladygirl71xX."

"Sure, how about Thursday evening?"

"That's Thanksgiving."

"Is that a problem? It's not like anyone loves you."

"Good point. You're on."

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Tuesday, November 24, 2015, 02:46 (3077 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

What counts as a new player? So, whenever I get around to buying the Xbox version of TTK do I count as referred?

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Tuesday, November 24, 2015, 08:02 (3077 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

If what I'm reading on the B.net page is true, you literally have to do this RAF thing within a week of someone making a new account! That's CRAZY.

DeeJ implied the week limit was just for the referral

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, November 24, 2015, 20:08 (3076 days ago) @ Morpheus

In a tweet, he implies as long as you started the quest, you can take your time to finish it.

Um... the gun at 40 seconds...?

by Stuntmutt, Tuesday, November 24, 2015, 10:50 (3076 days ago) @ Lekku

A new version?
Or the 'sherpa' slumming it with Y1 gear?

Could be either.

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, November 24, 2015, 12:38 (3076 days ago) @ Stuntmutt

Thorn got a great nerf, no reason to not bring it back, IMO.

Also, assuming they are doing simple story mode beating up level 15s, old gear is more fun! :D

Could be either.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, November 24, 2015, 12:54 (3076 days ago) @ Funkmon

Thorn got a great nerf, no reason to not bring it back, IMO.

Also, assuming they are doing simple story mode beating up level 15s, old gear is more fun! :D

We all know that people who use thorn don't have friends.

Could be either.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, November 24, 2015, 15:40 (3076 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Thorn is fine. Thorn + fire-bolt grenades + burning over time = the Devil's work.
;)

Refer a friend live

by MacGyver10 ⌂, Tennessee, Tuesday, November 24, 2015, 14:06 (3076 days ago) @ Lekku

So it looks like people that haven't played The Taken King count as 'new players' ("Recruits must purchase and activate Destiny: The Taken King on Playstation 4 or Xbox One..."), am I correct? Would that then make me eligible to be someone's 'refer a friend' as I've only played Destiny year 1?

- MacGyver10

Refer a friend live

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, November 24, 2015, 14:23 (3076 days ago) @ MacGyver10

So it looks like people that haven't played The Taken King count as 'new players' ("Recruits must purchase and activate Destiny: The Taken King on Playstation 4 or Xbox One..."), am I correct? Would that then make me eligible to be someone's 'refer a friend' as I've only played Destiny year 1?

- MacGyver10

From what you are saying I would say yeah.

The Fine Print

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Tuesday, November 24, 2015, 15:33 (3076 days ago) @ MacGyver10

https://www.bungie.net/en/Help/Troubleshoot?oid=13997

Referees are new players looking to play Destiny: The Taken King with a Veteran.
Players may qualify for referral for 7 days when playing Destiny: The Taken King for the first time after purchase.
Only players who qualify for Referee status may accept a referral.
Referees may only accept a single referral.
Veteran status is automatically granted once a player logs into Destiny: The Taken King.

Please note:
If a Pending, Accepted, or Active Link is cancelled after accepting a referral, you may only accept another referral from the same Veteran.
If you qualify for both Veteran and Referee status, accepting a referral will have no impact on pending referrals you've sent to other players.

For steps on how to form a Link with a Veteran, follow the "Forming a Link" button below.

-----

Looks like you need to be linked to someone before launching TTK

Is there anyone here that hasn't played the TTK yet that wants to be my referral?

The Fine Print

by squidnh3, Tuesday, November 24, 2015, 15:47 (3076 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

Looks like you need to be linked to someone before launching TTK

I think that bolded part about playing TTK means you qualify for veteran status means that can qualify for both referee and veteran status for the first 7 days. I've managed to link with one of my friends that just started playing Sunday, although it still says he hasn't played the game yet. I'll update as we figure it out.

The Fine Print

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Tuesday, November 24, 2015, 16:31 (3076 days ago) @ squidnh3

I've managed to link with one of my friends that just started playing Sunday, although it still says he hasn't played the game yet. I'll update as we figure it out.

I linked up with my daughter, who hadn't tried the game at all yet, and got her through the intro mission and the first few TTK missions last night. My Refer-a-Friend page is still telling me "Your friend has yet to purchase and play Destiny: The Taken King." I assume that if she was ineligible because we're technically playing the same copy of TTK that the referral page would say that.

I'm still holding out hope that this works so I don't have to try to convince my one IRL friend to give the game another try after the huge disappointment that was Y1 Destiny's story.

-Disciple

The Fine Print

by squidnh3, Tuesday, November 24, 2015, 17:21 (3076 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

I linked up with my daughter, who hadn't tried the game at all yet, and got her through the intro mission and the first few TTK missions last night. My Refer-a-Friend page is still telling me "Your friend has yet to purchase and play Destiny: The Taken King." I assume that if she was ineligible because we're technically playing the same copy of TTK that the referral page would say that.

Well, he's definitely not playing the same copy as me, and it still says that.

I'm still holding out hope that this works so I don't have to try to convince my one IRL friend to give the game another try after the huge disappointment that was Y1 Destiny's story.

I'm already getting awkward questions: "Do these missions get more complicated than 'kill these repeatedly spawning guys while the ghost scans something for 5 minutes'?". Not quite sure how to answer...

The Fine Print

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, November 24, 2015, 18:01 (3076 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

Disciple the social butterfly here! He has a FRIEND IRL.

Do you think he wouldn't like TTK either? The story might be world's better for him. Did he like the game in its fundamentals?

The Fine Print

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Tuesday, November 24, 2015, 18:38 (3076 days ago) @ Funkmon

Disciple the social butterfly here! He has a FRIEND IRL.

I know, right? I'm really branching out here :p

Do you think he wouldn't like TTK either? The story might be world's better for him. Did he like the game in its fundamentals?

I definitely think he'd like it, but as a Halo/Bungie fan, he was expecting a LOT more from the original story and seemed to take it as a personal insult that the pile of hot garbage that we got last year was ever allowed to see the light of day. At one point he actually compared giving Destiny another chance to "going back to an abusive boyfriend." At that point, any logical argument was completely off the table.

-Disciple

The Fine Print

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Tuesday, November 24, 2015, 16:29 (3076 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

Depending on Black Friday Deals I might pick up TTK for XBONE on the cheap. Waiting t see how cheap is cheap.

Technically I could but I will not.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, November 25, 2015, 17:35 (3075 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

Is there anyone here that hasn't played the TTK yet that wants to be my referral?

I have not played (as I do not have) the Taken King. If what I am reading is correct - I am technically a Referee since I am new when it comes to playing Destiny: The Taken King.

But.

I am not putting my money down for anything Bungie in-till Destiny 2 & I am not askin' my folks to put down cash for it either. I presume that by the time Destiny 2 becomes a thing this program will be gone or simply moot. So.

Sorry all.

Any way to do this cheap/free?

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Tuesday, November 24, 2015, 16:22 (3076 days ago) @ Lekku

I have some extra trials for gold memberships. any way to use those to boost a new character? or would I literally have to buy another copy of TTK to do this? I'm thinking it would be easy to partner up with someone to do this.

New accounts might work; here's my plan...

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Tuesday, November 24, 2015, 17:29 (3076 days ago) @ unoudid

I won't try this until after the holiday, but this is my current thinking:

Create new account on home XBox. Gold Sharing should allow this account to play online. As this is my home XBox, the digital copy of Destiny/TTK is unlocked for this new account to play.

My friend does the same thing, creating a "new" player on his XBox.

The "new" players log into destiny and create a character. They log into bungie.net to make sure they have a linked profile there.

I send a RAF request to my friend's dummy account, and he sends a request to my dummy account.

After we accept both the requests, we should be able to start playing destiny to meet the requirements. We'll have to do everything twice, but the "spark of light" should get the dummies up to level 25 immediately.

Think that'll work?

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, November 24, 2015, 17:57 (3076 days ago) @ Chappy

This will probably work. I think I will try with one of my novelty accounts.

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Tuesday, November 24, 2015, 18:14 (3076 days ago) @ Chappy

After we accept both the requests, we should be able to start playing destiny to meet the requirements. We'll have to do everything twice, but the "spark of light" should get the dummies up to level 25 immediately.

Think that'll work?

I like the sound of that.

• create new account
  • get a few of friends to carry you through Crota's end/VoG to get a few starting guns/armor.
  • start the questline

Maybe a second account FTB night.

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, November 24, 2015, 18:25 (3076 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

- No text -

Looks like you have to actually purchase TTK

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Tuesday, November 24, 2015, 19:18 (3076 days ago) @ Chappy

the new account has to own the license (no sharing)

https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/3u0wk7/creating_a_new_profile_and_gamegold_sharing_on/

Did the legendary edition of TTK come with a disc, or a digital download code? If it came on a disc, then maybe you could get a used copy and pass it around.

Looks like you have to actually purchase TTK

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Tuesday, November 24, 2015, 19:38 (3076 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

It came with a year 1 disc and digital TTK download if I remember correctly.

Worse than micro transactions...

by naturl selexion, Wednesday, November 25, 2015, 03:46 (3076 days ago) @ Lekku

Exclusive content only available to people that can convince others to purchase the game. This doesn't sit right with me. It's worse than micro transactions. At least the micro transactions do not affect gameplay. Now to get these new things (which do affect gameplay) you must play salesman and persuade someone else to pay for them. Ugh.

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, November 25, 2015, 04:50 (3076 days ago) @ naturl selexion

What's your definition of "affect gameplay?"

by naturl selexion, Wednesday, November 25, 2015, 05:08 (3076 days ago) @ Funkmon

My definition? Hadn't really thought about it. I assumed we all understood what that meant.

Sparrows, swords and a quest are all things that you use in the game that are not just cosmetic - although the Sparrow could be just a re-skin of an existing one so in that case it would not count. But the quest and the weapons do count as something that is "used" for playing the game, things that "affect" gameplay.

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, November 25, 2015, 06:24 (3076 days ago) @ naturl selexion

My definition? Hadn't really thought about it. I assumed we all understood what that meant.

Sparrows, swords and a quest are all things that you use in the game that are not just cosmetic - although the Sparrow could be just a re-skin of an existing one so in that case it would not count. But the quest and the weapons do count as something that is "used" for playing the game, things that "affect" gameplay.

The weapon is a reskin, too, from what I read. Also, there's no quest as far as I can tell.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, November 25, 2015, 13:46 (3075 days ago) @ naturl selexion

From what I've read everything you earn is purely cosmetic. The swords are just the swords from TTK reskinned, and the Sparrow only has 160 speed and no unique perks. I have no idea what the quest is, but I doubt it's actually new content.

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Wednesday, November 25, 2015, 14:43 (3075 days ago) @ Xenos

From what I've read everything you earn is purely cosmetic. The swords are just the swords from TTK reskinned, and the Sparrow only has 160 speed and no unique perks. I have no idea what the quest is, but I doubt it's actually new content.

I watched a vid the other day where someone went into detail about the quest chain. It was essentially:

1) Complete a story mission with your buddy. Get first RAF reward.
2) Complete ## crucible matches with your buddy. Get next reward.
3) Complete heroic strike with your buddy. Get next reward.
#) Collect all rewards

No new content, just running a KinderGuardian through a day in the life of a Destiny addict.

-Disciple

Edit: Thought I was going to be too lazy to track down the video, but it turns out I'd rather be doing anything but working at the moment.

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, November 25, 2015, 15:11 (3075 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

Sounds like you're having a bad day. This video is amusing.

Refer a friend live

by Slowjam, Wednesday, November 25, 2015, 19:18 (3075 days ago) @ Lekku

All well and good doing this now , but it's now to late for me being that all my friends play taken King , to which I got them into it in year 1

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread