Kotaku: The Problem With The Post-Bungie Halo Campaigns (Gaming)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, November 25, 2015, 20:30 (3072 days ago)

I'm posting this because I feel this is the best reasoning I have yet to see when it comes to how 343 has handled Halo. I'm posting this here because this place is where alot of the old guard HBOers (even myself - though I was more a lurker at the time) are now.

It might not be saying much, but It's the best post I have ever seen out of Kotaku. I feel It is well written, and worth a read.

So without further adue.

I don't think I could summarize it better my self.

Kotaku: The Problem With The Post-Bungie Halo Campaigns

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, November 25, 2015, 21:01 (3072 days ago) @ INSANEdrive
edited by Cody Miller, Wednesday, November 25, 2015, 21:04

The whole thing about always beating the odds and being behind is pretty much true about any action story. I mean, if you characters can just effortlessly mow down enemies, then how are you supposed to feel tension? How are you supposed to feel triumph when they win?

I knew we were in trouble when we leaped out of a plane and had an avengers style opening, where everybody just instantly kicks ass. Blue Team blows away the opposition in their opening like it's nothing. The most fearsome Covenant leader is wrecked in a cutscene easy peasy.

When you make your characters unstoppable badasses, you actually undo a lot of what makes action compelling.

What if instead of Osiris, you got a team of rookies? It's already better!

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, November 25, 2015, 21:05 (3072 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I knew we were in trouble when we leaped out of a plane and had an avengers style opening, where everybody just instantly kicks ass. Blue Team blows away the opposition in their opening like it's nothing.

Yeah, seeing that cutscene actually made me decide not to buy the game until I'd had a chance to see it first, which is the first time I've done that since Halo 1 (when I didn't own an Xbox yet).

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, November 25, 2015, 23:36 (3071 days ago) @ Xenos

When I saw it after renting the game, I thought "I've made a huge mistake." Turned out all right, though.

I can see where it's coming from . . .

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, November 25, 2015, 21:45 (3072 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I just don't agree completely. I can definitely understand the things being said about the story, even if I don't necessarily agree with all of it.

Halo 4, Halo 5, and all of 343i's extended universe fiction seems to be trying to build a more "grounded" version of Halo. Is Del Rio and an idiot? Yeah, probably, but at the end of the day, he's the captain of the ship, he gets to make the call. He's not the bad guy because he opposes the Chief. The Chief's job is to do whatever the hell he says. That's how the military works. I think 343i is trying to present things in a more realistic manner than the Chief just going off and doing things because his AI told him to. Whether they succeed or fail, or if that's a good or bad thing, is definitely up for debate, and I still haven't completely figured out how I feel about it. In some ways, I think it's smart, and I don't think they've leaned into that aspect hard enough.

In Bungie's original trilogy, the Master Chief saved the galaxy from the both the Flood and complete annihilation from the Halos. How do you top that? 343i has certainly tried, but the general consensus seems to be that they've failed (even though I happen to think Halo 5 sets up a potentially really great Halo 6). I think they would have been smarter to lean into much smaller, personal, more grounded stories, like ODST and Reach presented. The galaxy had already been saved. Instead of manufacturing a new galaxy-wide threat, why not focus on post-war clean up? They could have drawn that out for multiple games in interesting ways. The story of Spartan Ops could have certainly been really interesting and fun, had it been the main focus of Halo 4 and expanded upon. The Master Chief could have stayed asleep, and we could have followed another Spartan team through that story for Halo 4, and continued it in Halo 5.

That being said, the article says,

But, hey, the gameplay’s fun, right?

I wish.

The difficulty tuning is off. In Halo 4, Normal felt too easy and Heroic felt just… wrong. It was easy if I played it like a pop and stop shooter, but Halo’s all about strafing and dodging and throwing grenades and melee. It’s a game about movement, about dancing through the combat space. With Halo 4, your armor has the durability of wet toilet paper. It’s easy to die, and worse still, the enemies are massive bullet sponges.

The same is true of Halo 5 on Heroic. I once unloaded half a clip from a BR, a shotgun round or two, and a punch into a Forerunner Soldier’s face. For my trouble, I was downed instantly from a single punch by the Soldier. I’ve shot enemies 3 and 4 times with a sniper rifle before killing them, used an entire BR clip on an enemy with no perceptible effect. Once, I told three spartans to target an elite, then dashed back to get some ammo. When I returned, they hadn’t even brought the elite’s shield down. The much-touted squad system is useless.

The gameplay is the most important part, and I disagree with basically all of that. It's been a while since I've played Halo 4, but I don't remember anything like that, and I enjoyed the gameplay.

But Halo 5 is one of the best Halo games ever in terms of how fun it is to be playing, and how good it feels. As far as the Heroic tuning, I felt like it was honestly a bit too easy. I breezed through it, other than the double and triple Warden battles. And I didn't play it as a "pop and stop" shooter (again, other than those damn Warden fights). I was running and gunning and playing Halo like I've played every Halo. So I'm not sure what he's talking about. I also found the other Spartans to be pretty good about taking out designated enemies without me having to worry about it.

I don't know. It was a good article; it just doesn't ring true for me.

lol...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, November 25, 2015, 22:10 (3072 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I was going to post "inb4 CheapLEY's 343i apologist post", but you had already posted when I refreshed the page. :P

I get that you liked Halo 5, because the gameplay was polished, and the storytelling was a step up from 343's previous works, but as someone who has followed the Halo story since I was 12, 343i has brought a massive quality drop to the Halo name, and a vast number of folks who post here and over at HBO have similar investment into the franchise, whether it's Snipe's love of the gameplay, Levi's love of the art direction, Bluerunner's love of the custom games, or Rev's love of the LAN games, 343i has fallen short for all of us in different ways where Bungie shone; but for me, personally, the story is where Halo has fallen from grace.

343 butchered the characters that I grew up with, and sloppily took the story in a bizarre direction that is nothing like the original games. I loved Halo 4's gameplay at launch (before the MLG babies cried enough to make 343 ruin it), and I would likely be really good at Halo 5 multiplayer (since I destroy at the harder-yet-superior Black Ops 3 gameplay), but it's the story that kills it for me (with the godawful art direction close behind).

That said, I still follow the Halo universe with hope. Who knows, I might even get Halo 5 after xmas, and I'm sure that Halo 6 will address a number of 343's weaknesses, but the damage they've done so far has been deep and permanent, and even though the thought of it shocks you, some of us are resentful towards 343 for that, even if Halo 5 is a step up from Halo 4.

IMHO, Halo 3 was already a big step down

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, November 25, 2015, 22:18 (3072 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

At least the terminals were in-game...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, November 25, 2015, 22:27 (3071 days ago) @ ZackDark

They added much-needed depth and layering to the story and universe lore.

But yeah, the story took a weird turn that frustrated me. The Prophet of Truth was one of the best villains of the time during Halo 2 because his motives were mysterious, but not ambiguous. He knew way more that he was letting on, and used his own allies as pawns... Then in Halo 3 he was a boring old zealot who wanted to activate the Halo rings. That was an odd change, and I blame the need to appeal to a bigger crowd for that.

Reach had its own issues for those of us who held Nylund's TFoR as sacred, but for what it's worth, the good in that game vastly outweighed the bad.

Agree 125%

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Thursday, November 26, 2015, 00:06 (3071 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

At least the terminals were in-game...

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, November 26, 2015, 11:44 (3071 days ago) @ Korny

As time goes on, Reach will rise ever higher in stature. It's an amazing game.

But but but...

by marmot 1333 @, Friday, November 27, 2015, 16:06 (3070 days ago) @ Kermit

Those meanies on bungie.net told me my opinion (Reach being my favorite Halo game) was invalid because I never played Halo 2!!!

Reach is Bae.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, November 27, 2015, 17:21 (3070 days ago) @ marmot 1333

I freaking love that game.

lol...

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, November 25, 2015, 22:27 (3071 days ago) @ Korny

I was going to post "inb4 CheapLEY's 343i apologist post", but you had already posted when I refreshed the page. :P

Heh, I'll give you that. I really try not to come off as an apologist, but I guess that's sort of what it is. Maybe I'm just not as invested in Halo as I used to be, so it doesn't bug me, or . . . hell, I don't actually know.

I get that you liked Halo 5, because the gameplay was polished, and the storytelling was a step up from 343's previous works, but as someone who has followed the Halo story since I was 12, 343i has brought a massive quality drop to the Halo name, and a vast number of folks who post here and over at HBO have similar investment into the franchise, whether it's Snipe's love of the gameplay, Levi's love of the art direction, Bluerunner's love of the custom games, or Rev's love of the LAN games, 343i has fallen short for all of us in different ways where Bungie shone; but for me, personally, the story is where Halo has fallen from grace.

I can't even disagree with that. I absolutely like the story of Bungie's Halos better. That was sort of the point of my first post. I realize I didn't actually get around to making that point, but that was part of the thought behind it. Like I said, I think 343i would have been much better off to stick to a smaller scale, personal story. I don't think Halo HAS to be a galaxy-wide space opera. Reach and ODST showed us that, and I'd love to see more of that direction from Halo.

That said, I still follow the Halo universe with hope. Who knows, I might even get Halo 5 after xmas, and I'm sure that Halo 6 will address a number of 343's weaknesses, but the damage they've done so far has been deep and permanent, and even though the thought of it shocks you, some of us are resentful towards 343 for that, even if Halo 5 is a step up from Halo 4.

It doesn't shock me. This part of the discussion always makes me feel like a dick, and I don't intend to. I understand where everyone is coming from, whether they dislike the story direction, or the art direction and design changes, or gameplay changes. I don't like plenty about the changes they've made (I hate the new focus on Forerunners, and that Forerunners are separate from Humans, directly contradicting Guilty Spark in Halo 3). I'm just accepting of it. It's not Bungie's Halo anymore. I know that's painfully obvious to a lot of folks, but I just think after what we saw in Halo 4, it was naive to expect it anything else. By this point, I think folks pretty know whether they like 343i's Halo or not, and if you don't, what's the point of continuing trying to be invested in it? I mean, I guess I get that it would be hard to just admit that I didn't like Halo anymore and disconnect from it when I've loved it for so long . . . but at the same time, why stay invested in something I know longer enjoy?

That said, I would love to see 343 answer a lot of discussion about stuff like this. Grim posted over at HBO a week or so ago about different models of tanks and aircraft and whatnot, and I guess that works as an explanation for the new Wraith and Ghost and Banshee and Pelican, etc. designs. But it really doesn't cut it when you talk about things like the Forward Unto Dawn change, or the Master Chief's armor change. In that context, it just seems like a half-assed justification, so I get the concern for things like that.

lol...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, November 25, 2015, 22:42 (3071 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Heh, I'll give you that. I really try not to come off as an apologist, but I guess that's sort of what it is. Maybe I'm just not as invested in Halo as I used to be, so it doesn't bug me, or . . . hell, I don't actually know.

I can't even disagree with that. I absolutely like the story of Bungie's Halos better. That was sort of the point of my first post. I realize I didn't actually get around to making that point, but that was part of the thought behind it. Like I said, I think 343i would have been much better off to stick to a smaller scale, personal story. I don't think Halo HAS to be a galaxy-wide space opera. Reach and ODST showed us that, and I'd love to see more of that direction from Halo.

Totally. A story on the scale of ODST's was what 343i should have done instead of jumping right back into the Chief's mysteriously-mutated boots. I think people would have been far more forgiving, and it would have given them plenty of time to work out where they wanted to take the franchise, instead of just trying to make it up as they went along and spiraling out of control...

It doesn't shock me. This part of the discussion always makes me feel like a dick, and I don't intend to. I understand where everyone is coming from, whether they dislike the story direction, or the art direction and design changes, or gameplay changes. I don't like plenty about the changes they've made (I hate the new focus on Forerunners, and that Forerunners are separate from Humans, directly contradicting Guilty Spark in Halo 3). I'm just accepting of it. It's not Bungie's Halo anymore.

Yeah, and I can live with that. They can do their own thing. The thing that gets me is how much they're going back and trying to undo what Bungie did. They actively retconned, transformed, and ignore established things. They got a dumb feminist to demonize Halsey, and 343 have continued with that character assassination. Bungie gave us insight into the Forerunners without spelling everything out, and 343 went and turned it into a weird galactic opera about fate and prophecy. Bungie revealed that Humans were Forerunners at the close of their story, but 343 decided that nope, humans were at war with the Forerunners, because reasons. It's that kind of stuff that gets to me.

I know that's painfully obvious to a lot of folks, but I just think after what we saw in Halo 4, it was naive to expect it anything else. By this point, I think folks pretty know whether they like 343i's Halo or not, and if you don't, what's the point of continuing trying to be invested in it? I mean, I guess I get that it would be hard to just admit that I didn't like Halo anymore and disconnect from it when I've loved it for so long . . . but at the same time, why stay invested in something I know longer enjoy?

Because there are elements that I still enjoy. Forge being a key element that you don't see in other games (heck, it's not even in Halo 5 at the moment). People still love the original Star Wars trilogy and EU, and they're excited for episode 7. Should they just walk away from the franchise just because George Lucas butchered the universe that they love with the Prequels? Should they walk away just because Disney decided that the EU is entirely non-canon now?
I love elements of Halo, and so I will endure 343's Star Wars Prequels, because there could be an Episode 7 on the horizon...

That said, I would love to see 343 answer a lot of discussion about stuff like this. Grim posted over at HBO a week or so ago about different models of tanks and aircraft and whatnot, and I guess that works as an explanation for the new Wraith and Ghost and Banshee and Pelican, etc. designs. But it really doesn't cut it when you talk about things like the Forward Unto Dawn change, or the Master Chief's armor change. In that context, it just seems like a half-assed justification, so I get the concern for things like that.

Yeah, the way they just smile and pat their backs despite disasters like the MCC and people's negative reactions to their story kind of bug me. Grim did give some eye-opening insight a week ago with regards to trying to reconcile the new crap with the old gold, but it's just not enough to say "it is what it is, and it's not going to change".

At least, it's not enough for me. There is too much potential for Halo to be great again, 343 just isn't headed in that direction enough for me.

lol...

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, November 25, 2015, 23:00 (3071 days ago) @ Korny

Because there are elements that I still enjoy. Forge being a key element that you don't see in other games (heck, it's not even in Halo 5 at the moment). People still love the original Star Wars trilogy and EU, and they're excited for episode 7. Should they just walk away from the franchise just because George Lucas butchered the universe that they love with the Prequels? Should they walk away just because Disney decided that the EU is entirely non-canon now?

No, but if you didn't like Episode I or II, would you really be all that hopeful or invested in Episode III?

I love elements of Halo, and so I will endure 343's Star Wars Prequels, because there could be an Episode 7 on the horizon...

That's awfully optimistic of Episode 7! I mean, I agree, because it looks freaking amazing, but they're also doing a very, very, very good job of tapping into original trilogy nostalgia . . .

Yeah, the way they just smile and pat their backs despite disasters like the MCC and people's negative reactions to their story kind of bug me. Grim did give some eye-opening insight a week ago with regards to trying to reconcile the new crap with the old gold, but it's just not enough to say "it is what it is, and it's not going to change".

At least, it's not enough for me. There is too much potential for Halo to be great again, 343 just isn't headed in that direction enough for me.

And, as I've said before, I think it is enough (for me), and in some respects might actually prefer they just come out and say that, rather than trying to reconcile all the differences and changes that will never make sense or fit.

lol...

by Avateur @, Thursday, November 26, 2015, 00:54 (3071 days ago) @ Korny

Because there are elements that I still enjoy. Forge being a key element that you don't see in other games (heck, it's not even in Halo 5 at the moment). People still love the original Star Wars trilogy and EU, and they're excited for episode 7. Should they just walk away from the franchise just because George Lucas butchered the universe that they love with the Prequels?

Yep! And then it got sold to Disney and gave many people a reason to get interested again.

Well, that's assuming Episode 7 is great. I've felt for years like J.J. Abrams was better suited for Star Wars than Star Trek, but if his Star Trek work is any indication of what we may be getting in Star Wars, it may end up as a "ripoff" of Episode IV that parallels it almost too obnoxiously to show any real creativity or risk. His Star Trek movies were great sci-fi movies, but pretty bad Star Trek movies. I have high hopes and am very hyped for Episode 7, but I'm very, very cautious. Oh, and unlike those Star Trek movies or even the Star Wars prequels, 343's got three failures in a row in an interactive medium. Dead franchise is dead. This comparison you're making would require 343 to lose the franchise and have some new entity take it up to potentially revive Halo (like Disney getting Star Wars and trying to continue it on). 343 isn't gonna do it (though I did predict at one point back over at HBO that H5 would fail and H6 would probably be the Halo the world deserves, but I'm skeptical at myself on that one after MCC and the H5 that the world got).

Also, unrelated, but glad we're in agreement on what the MLG people did to Halo 4. Just when I felt like it got to a redeemable point, bam, Bravo and other MLG people screwed it all up. Don't nobody got time for that.

Also more, Black Ops 3 is seriously that good? I made the unfortunate failure of buying Advanced Warfare thinking it might be good. That sure was stupid. I haven't gone anywhere near Black Ops 3 because CoD has sucked for years. Is it at all worth my time, or should I send all the cashes to the Fallouts and Battlefronts?

3 failures in a row? Are you counting MCC?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, November 26, 2015, 01:20 (3071 days ago) @ Avateur

- No text -

Definitely!

by Avateur @, Thursday, November 26, 2015, 01:35 (3071 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

lol...

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, November 25, 2015, 23:53 (3071 days ago) @ cheapLEY

So far I appear to be taking the "don't invest" approach. Halo was the game that got me into gaming. It was the game that showed me games could be challenging and fun and have stories and have multiplayer. It was magic when late into the night at a all night "Halofest" lan party I fired up the campaign during a lull and watched the opening Pillar of Autumn cutscene for the very first time. I bought an Xbox because of that cutscene and level. I bought every Halo game and book day one up through Halo 4 because of those few minutes deep into the predawn a.m. And I actively defended 343i pre-Halo 4 saying I trusted them to do good based on things like Halo Evolutions and Forward Unto Dawn.

Then Halo 4 happened.

The game was pretty but the Didact was a different character than the complex, conflicted military general I expected. And his motive, destroying Himanity to stop the already defeated Flood, made zero sense. Cortana's death kinda happened off screen... during a cutscene... right after 343i made me nuke the Chief (which for that short instant before I hit RB felt significant and gutsy)... and they decided Halsey should be seen as evil... and they went from Spartans being individuals who always did the right thing and had the best technology and armor that only they could use and could singlehandedly save the world to Spartans being random unruly former ODSTs with a new generation of armor that magically solved all the problems and in true Incredibles fashion made everyone special, thus making no one special.

As a result, I did not buy the last Forerunner book, did not buy any of the other newer books, and still have not bought Halo 5. And it's heartbreaking to not be playing a new Halo game. It feels wrong to be waiting for a price drop. And I don't know if my first and favorite video game franchise will ever appeal to me again. :(

lol...

by Quirel, Thursday, November 26, 2015, 03:56 (3071 days ago) @ Ragashingo

The game was pretty but the Didact was a different character than the complex, conflicted military general I expected. And his motive, destroying Himanity to stop the already defeated Flood, made zero sense. Cortana's death kinda happened off screen... during a cutscene... right after 343i made me nuke the Chief (which for that short instant before I hit RB felt significant and gutsy)... and they decided Halsey should be seen as evil... and they went from Spartans being individuals who always did the right thing and had the best technology and armor that only they could use and could singlehandedly save the world to Spartans being random unruly former ODSTs with a new generation of armor that magically solved all the problems and in true Incredibles fashion made everyone special, thus making no one special.

I think someone on HBO put it best.
343i: "We love Halo. Just not the Halo you love."

As a result, I did not buy the last Forerunner book, did not buy any of the other newer books, and still have not bought Halo 5.

Buy Last Light. Speaking as a Halo fan who can't stand 343i's direction, Last Light does everything right.

And it's heartbreaking to not be playing a new Halo game. It feels wrong to be waiting for a price drop. And I don't know if my first and favorite video game franchise will ever appeal to me again. :(

=(

Story problems? Think of 343's Halo as a reboot.

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, November 25, 2015, 23:42 (3071 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

If you consider the games non canon, or part of a splinter universe, it becomes easier to swallow the story, and see that actually they're very good once you throw out all your old Halo knowledge.

I consider 343's Halo a different series. It's not my Halo I loved since 2001, but you can learn to love it again if your continuity stops after ODST.

This

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, November 25, 2015, 23:46 (3071 days ago) @ Funkmon

I've been doing this to a lot of things in entertainment right now and I feel I'm disliking stuff way more rarely now. New music from my favorite bands, new movies from my favorite franchises/directors, books within beloved universes, etc. So much unease avoided.

Heh.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, November 26, 2015, 00:09 (3071 days ago) @ ZackDark

I've been doing this to a lot of things in entertainment right now and I feel I'm disliking stuff way more rarely now. New music from my favorite bands, new movies from my favorite franchises/directors, books within beloved universes, etc. So much unease avoided.

Heh. I strongly dislike when people complain about new music by their favorite bands. If you don't like it, fine, but did you really expect them to Nickelback it and make the same record over and over again? You like the old stuff better, fine. It didn't magically disappear because they made a new record; go listen to that instead.

It's the biggest reason Brand New is my favorite band. Every album they release is drastically different from the last, none of their albums have the same sound, but they all sound exactly like Brand New. When they released At the Bottom as a preview of what Daisy was going to be, my girlfriend played it for me without telling me what she was making me listen to. I immediately knew it was Brand New, even though it doesn't sound anything like their older stuff. I love when bands experiment with new sounds.

I kinda take 343i's Halo with that same attitude. It's still obviously Halo, but they're playing with new sounds. (:

Goddamn apologists... ;)

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, November 26, 2015, 00:45 (3071 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

The JJ Abrams approach? Yuck.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Wednesday, November 25, 2015, 23:59 (3071 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

Story problems? Think of 343's Halo as a reboot.

by Quirel, Thursday, November 26, 2015, 03:42 (3071 days ago) @ Funkmon

I consider 343's Halo a different series. It's not my Halo I loved since 2001, but you can learn to love it again if your continuity stops after ODST.

I don't want to love it. Without the Halo brand, it's a shallow sort of science fiction that draws from the worst parts of anime and comic books. The ancillary stories are mediocre with the exception of Last Light, which easily reads as an entry to the Bungie-era canon.

The problem isn't just that 343i isn't making a good continuation of Halo, it's that their stories are awful on their own merits.

Kotaku: The Problem With ... *SP*

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, November 25, 2015, 23:58 (3071 days ago) @ INSANEdrive
edited by Kermit, Thursday, November 26, 2015, 00:03

I'm posting this because I feel this is the best reasoning I have yet to see when it comes to how 343 has handled Halo. I'm posting this here because this place is where alot of the old guard HBOers (even myself - though I was more a lurker at the time) are now.

It might not be saying much, but It's the best post I have ever seen out of Kotaku. I feel It is well written, and worth a read.

So without further adue.

Let's just get gameplay out of the way. I really like Halo 5 gameplay. It reminds me a lot of the best Halos--the battlespaces are huge (bigger than ever), and there are so many ways to skin a cat. I often feel like I'm figuring out a puzzle, like I have in older Halos. Weapons don't despawn as regularly as they did in H4. The sounddesgin beats Halo 4's like a drum, and the soundtrack is better, and better aligned with events.

Agree with this writer's thesis in regard to being the hero of the story. I think 343i has stumbled often in its efforts the make Halo less space opera and more hard scifi, sometimes adding dollops of ambiguity willy-nilly, because that's what makes it a complex, adult story, right? I don't think it's as bad as he makes it out to be, though. He's exactly right about the Didact, but the Chief/Cortana angle of Halo 4 was extremely compelling. He's exactly right about Locke in Halo 5, but the humanity shown by other fireteam members often during gameplay makes the game (and the story to a lesser degree) live. I enjoy playing Halo 5, even as Locke. And it's because so much of my interest in the story is personal, unlike a big chunk of Halo 4. I agree with him about Halsey in Halo 4 and Spartan Ops, but I see in Halo 5 the beginnings of a course correction.

Regarding the "massive character shift" of Cortana, I'm not so sure. In a way, I feel like Halo 5 is getting back to truly old school Halo. Perhaps I was steeped in the rampancy-centered storylines of Marathon, but I never completely trusted her after her eyes turned red way back in the Control Room, and the after-credits ending of Halo 2 always seemed a little too conspiratorial to me.

Finally, I kind of like this peace-through-fascism theme that's cropping up. Reminds me of good 60s and 70s sci fi.

by Funkmon @, Thursday, November 26, 2015, 07:38 (3071 days ago) @ Kermit

Me either, Kermit. Red eyes, not being clear with us. Choosing to stay behind on high charity. Talking to the grave mind and not giving us any info. She's finally playing her part. Have you seen that post on HBO regarding the Cortana letters?

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Friday, November 27, 2015, 01:28 (3070 days ago) @ Funkmon

Me either, Kermit. Red eyes, not being clear with us. Choosing to stay behind on high charity. Talking to the grave mind and not giving us any info. She's finally playing her part. Have you seen that post on HBO regarding the Cortana letters?

Frankly I think after Halo 2 and Halo 3 it was just too late to pick up that plot thread, which seemingly remained in Halo 1 even though it was never followed-up on. Halo 4 and 5 almost absolutely depend on the player either not really caring why things happen, or reading the novels to understand why things are happening.

To the extent that I even care what's going on in that story anymore, I'm still not quite buying the transitions they are trying to make for Cortana, Halsey and Master Chief. Halsey as mad scientist and Spartans as broken, tragic victims are supported by the novels and deep background, but definitely NOT supported by Halo 1-3-- not in the least.

The "absolute power corrupts absolutely" angle they're pursuing for Cortana works a tiny bit better, but I'm still not buying it. Halo 3, for me, undercuts it completely. I think they're bending over backwards to make her look like a threat, but the only thing in the trilogy that supports it is that one moment were she got a bit sarcastic and insulted the Master Chief for a couple minutes. That's really not much to go on.

Given the danger of the Covenant either activating Halo rings unnecessarily, or humanity failing to activate them when necessary, or the two groups waging a war across the galaxy either with or amongst each other, Cortana policing the beat with a bunch of Guardians seems like not such a bad idea. What's making it look bad in H5 is the collateral damage, but that was seemingly done for no reason... there seems to be no reason other than a show of force why Cortana is collecting Guardians in the manner she's doing so, and Taylor's performance at the moment that is supposed to sell the "crazy Cortana" to us-- when she takes umbrage at the Master Chief's reasonable question about civilian casualties-- just did not work for me. I know they didn't want her to go full moustache-twirling at that moment, and I can respect that, but it's so underplayed it almost feels like what they're going to do is blame the warden for it all. So when he is finally actually defeated, Cortana will un-crazy herself, but she'll have survived rampancy, and they'll return the Haloverse to status quo: Master Chief and Cortana ready to go on more adventures. Which was just what Halo 3 was designed to put a stop to.

by Funkmon @, Friday, November 27, 2015, 03:51 (3070 days ago) @ narcogen

I agree with you at every point of that...which is why it should be thought of as a separate continuity. They changed all the characters, they changed the universe, they added in a lot of hard sci fi elements that I think are out of place in Halo.

So, I chose to ignore my issues with the larger universe. I still think Halo 4 is nearly incomprehensible, but Halo 5's totally fine. As fan fiction. I know some people can't ignore that stuff, but I also think a lot of them don't want to try.

I just urge people to try that.

by Avateur @, Friday, November 27, 2015, 05:13 (3070 days ago) @ Funkmon

Fan fiction that sucks and is poorly written is still bad, regardless of how you choose to view it in comparison to what came before. I'd be down to suck it up and try to view it like you want, but at the end of the day it all sucks still. Actual fans writing actual fan fiction could do and have done better.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Sunday, November 29, 2015, 20:41 (3068 days ago) @ narcogen

Try to convince me that ILB isn't canon at your own risk, and so I think there is grounding for the 1.0 Spartans as being victims… but not broken and not as much as the AIs.

by Quirel, Friday, November 27, 2015, 05:53 (3070 days ago) @ Funkmon

Me either, Kermit. Red eyes, not being clear with us. Choosing to stay behind on high charity. Talking to the grave mind and not giving us any info. She's finally playing her part.

That's not the Cortana I knew.

The Cortana I knew was loyal and courageous. The Cortana you're talking about is a mustache-twirling villain. How does it benefit her evil plan to send the Chief to face the Flood with no intel, and then intervene when 343 Guilty Spark is about fire the Halos? Why would she lock herself in the same space station as an eldritch abomination with a penchant for iambic meter and mindraping AIs?

That's the sort of hidden agenda villain you get when David Lindeloff or Chris Carter are writing the script.

Have you seen that post on HBO regarding the Cortana letters?

Yes. One document written early in the first game's development and subsequently abandoned does not overwrite the characterization established in three games and two books.

I don't think anyone is listening to the words I'm saying.

by Funkmon @, Friday, November 27, 2015, 07:43 (3070 days ago) @ Quirel

- No text -

To be fair, it's a very controvert point of view

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, November 27, 2015, 08:33 (3070 days ago) @ Funkmon

Quite a slippery slope if it turns perfectly acceptable to do so.

I'm listening.

by Quirel, Saturday, November 28, 2015, 05:01 (3069 days ago) @ Funkmon

You said that Cortana's actions in the original trilogy hinted at this happening. I rebutted that.

You say that 343i's Halo is perfectly good if you treat it as its own thing. I say this doesn't work because they aren't telling worthwhile stories (Hello, Escalation!) and the spokesmen for 343i keep insisting that it's not a reboot or a reimagining.

I'm listening.

by MacGyver10 ⌂, Tennessee, Monday, November 30, 2015, 18:00 (3067 days ago) @ Quirel
edited by MacGyver10, Monday, November 30, 2015, 18:03

Did they really refute it though? Who was she loyal and courageous to? The UNSC? Humanity? I have always seen Cortana as defiant to most people other than the Chief (a characteristic I'm sure comes from being cloned from Halsey). She cares for the Chief in an unusual way for an AI, but she's never once doubted that she's the smartest entity in any room, and quite proud of that. It seems her piece in Halo 5 is an eventuality for her character that was inevitable if rampancy wasn't going to destroy her.

343i is going all StarWars EP1 on us

by Durandal, Thursday, November 26, 2015, 21:17 (3071 days ago) @ Kermit

The author expresses opinions very similar to the ones I've written elsewhere in the forum. I think 343I is having a hard time because they have new writers who don't get the series or the characters, and don't really care.

Master Chief and Cortana started out very different, like StarWars A New Hope, Bungie had a long list of rewrites and edits before they got to the final look and feel of the product, but they had a very specific look and feel. Go back and look at the ODST trailer, or the Halo 3 trailer and diorama. Look at the old Macworld footage of the early Mac version of the game.

Humanity was doomed. The enemy is a relentless conglomeration of religious fanatics hunting us to extinction. No matter how awesome our space marines are, they can't stand against it, yet they do, and do so with honor and integrity. That attitude colors all the fiction and in game character moments.

All of that is gone now. Halo 4 saw the last of it with the Chief/Cortana interactions. If you desaturated this game and added some extensive profanity it would be tough to tell the difference between it and Gears of War. Halo 5's marketing is all about the Chief as a rogue, a traitor, or Locke as an uncaring bureaucrat like the Agent from the Firefly movie. Which makes even less sense because the Spartan II from Locke's little intro movie does everything we expect from the Spartans of Halos 1-4. Look at the point where they have to choose who stays behind on the ring fragment, and draw beads. The Spartan II rigs the game, not for glory, but because he knew the other two had something to live for.

343I knew what the theme was, but for better or worse they are changing it. It could just be different writers, it could be an editorial direction. I mean, there is the whole "Humanity is now the top dogs" speech when they intro the Infinity. But all of that ignores all that came before, and for me that is a tough pill to swallow. I could be ok with it, perhaps, but it's just all handled so ineptly, so inelegantly, I can't stand it.

The captain is a jerk, why? The plot demands it! The Didact is a jerk, why? The plot demands it! Everyone hates Halsey now, why? The plot demands it! I'm half surprised you didn't defeat the Warden by reversing the shield polarity. It's too convenient, too lazy, to just make things so instead of coming up with good reasons why. This bugs me the most. If this wasn't a Halo brand it would be "generic sci fi shooter 2015". We have all the checkboxes. MP, gear and appearance customization, xp system, 4 player coop, etc.

I still have to give them credit though that the scenery is beautiful.

Good read.

by Quirel, Saturday, November 28, 2015, 05:06 (3069 days ago) @ Durandal

- No text -

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, November 26, 2015, 21:00 (3071 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

So without further adue.

In terms of the story development, I think Bungie's Halo and 343's Halo have very different strengths. I think Bungie's Halo games were some of the best examples of "story that serves the gameplay experience". I may be in the minority here, but I never thought the story of Halo 1-3 was particularly good in its own right. But it did a fantastic job of providing context: I always knew where I was, why I was there, what my goals were and why I was trying to achieve them. The story provided motivation in a way many other videogame stories fail to do. But when it comes to the basics like the quality of the dialog, character development, and that kind of thing, I don't think the story of Halo 1-3 was very good at all.

When it comes to 343's Halo games, I think they do a wonderful job with the little moments. The dialog is much better for the most part, and they've clearly invested way more time and money into facial capture and animations to portray more believable and emotional characters. Halo 5 has many of my favorite moments of character interaction in the franchise. Where 343's Halo games fall apart IMO is in the "big picture" stuff. The overall plotlines are a complete mess, and where the player "fits in" to everything is often impossible to decipher. The stories don't serve the gameplay experience anymore, which I believe is the real reason why so many Halo fans feel some sort of friction with the last few Halo games.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread