Good Steam games? (Off-Topic)

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, November 25, 2015, 22:08 (3067 days ago)

So, before I rejoined the forums this year, I had been offline completely for a year. I had been using a crappy hand-me down laptop with an A6 mobile processor that struggled to even run Youtube vidoes at 1080p.

I just bought myself a Surface Pro 4 (which I love!), with the dual-core i5. While still obviously not enough for really intensive games, I can finally pick up on some of the stuff I might have missed in the last few years (or even before, I had an iMac before so missed Windows exclusive stuff).

Long story short, I'm looking for applications.

I have recently downloaded Pillars of Eternity, as I backed that on Kickstarter but was offline when it released. Haven't started it yet, but am looking forward to it.

My wishlist currently has:

-Bastion
-The Banner Saga
-Hard West

While I definitely don't need more games to play, I'm still looking for some fun stuff to check out, as I've not ever played much on the PC. I was thinking of checking out The Stanley Parable or Gone Home (As I rule I'm generally okay with "games" without real gameplay, so long as they're interesting or funny).

Just looking for things I probably missed because they just weren't on my radar, with a strong preference for smaller games that I don't have to sink tens of hours into (I've still got plenty of Fallout 4 left in me for that, not too mention those other three games I listed don't seem like they're going to be short by any means).

I would recommend the stanley parable to any gamer.

by slycrel ⌂, Wednesday, November 25, 2015, 23:05 (3067 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

Well, not ANY gamer, but it's definitely very interesting

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, November 25, 2015, 23:42 (3067 days ago) @ slycrel

I had a blast, even though it is pretty short (I'd say less than 5 hours for all my tries)

I played for 45 minutes and was done with it.

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, November 25, 2015, 23:44 (3067 days ago) @ ZackDark

I played the mod and liked it, so when the retail game came out I figured it was a good idea to buy that and see how it expanded on the mod. I expected more. It was just lame to me.

However, I totally understand why people love it and put 5 hours into it. Very cool premise. It just didn't work for me.

Good Steam games?

by marmot 1333 @, Thursday, November 26, 2015, 00:35 (3067 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Bastion and Banner Saga are both really cool.

Transistor is cool but didn't fully interest me the way Bastion did.

FTL? Kerbal Space Program?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, November 26, 2015, 00:48 (3067 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

FTL? Kerbal Space Program?

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, November 26, 2015, 00:49 (3067 days ago) @ ZackDark

I loved FTL and did redownload it from steam. I never did try Kerbal Space program, but it looked interesting. Is it worth looking into?

Depends on your likings

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, November 26, 2015, 01:18 (3067 days ago) @ cheapLEY

It really boosted both my interest in and knowledge of rocket science a helluva lot, which is a big plus, IMO.

I'm currently having more fun experimenting with aircrafts and rovers/mobile bases than rockets, but that's mostly because I already managed to land on the Mun and come back unscathed. To get to other planets, it's about the same, but with a significant increase in patience and time involved (TL;DR for that is that much lower thrust engines get you a lot farther for interplanetary movements [protip: DeltaV is insanely more important than instantaneous acceleration]).

The building and experimenting in this game is, in my experience, unmatched. Also, the Kerbals' charm makes it all the sweeter. Never permanently kill Jeb, though. He's a hero.

IIRC, the demo is a pretty good demo. I suggest trying it

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, November 26, 2015, 01:19 (3067 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

IIRC, the demo is a pretty good demo. I suggest trying it

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, November 26, 2015, 02:05 (3067 days ago) @ ZackDark

I'll definitely do that, thanks!

Depends on your likings

by Quirel, Thursday, November 26, 2015, 02:16 (3067 days ago) @ ZackDark

(TL;DR for that is that much lower thrust engines get you a lot farther for interplanetary movements [protip: DeltaV is insanely more important than instantaneous acceleration]).

Is it too much to ask for both?

Depends on your likings

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Thursday, November 26, 2015, 11:29 (3067 days ago) @ Quirel

(TL;DR for that is that much lower thrust engines get you a lot farther for interplanetary movements [protip: DeltaV is insanely more important than instantaneous acceleration]).

Is it too much to ask for both?

-- Steve had a lot of fun with this mod, but alas the KSP v1.0 update broke it irreversibly.

PS: IIRC there is an "official" mod for Orion (and it's sister Medusa) out there too, but I wouldn't use them now. Having that much thrust and delta-v breaks the game's engine balance and makes orbital dynamics largely moot.

My currently problem with KSP

by Monochron, Thursday, November 26, 2015, 13:41 (3067 days ago) @ ZackDark

I stopped playing it for about 6 months and tried to pick it up again recently. Unfortunately I have forgotten most of my piloting skills so I can't land the multi-planet rocket that is about to approach Duna. I tried and tried but they always burn up in the atmosphere because I don't really remember what this particular rocket required to land!

I think I need to run a couple of Mun missions to build back up my skills, but the lander at Duna only has a couple days until it HAS to land or it won't be able to make it back.
Hhm, I guess I could trap them in orbit and just mount a rescue mission in a couple of years. Seems cruel though, I promised them they were going to be the first Kerbals to walk on Duna!

They've changed the aerodynamics in the last 6 months

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, November 26, 2015, 13:47 (3067 days ago) @ Monochron

Reentry heating is significantly higher now than it was before you stopped playing, so that probably explains why your rocket built then can't successfully reentry now.

I'd suggest stranding them there and sending a rescue mission. But I'm biased towards orbital rendezvous. Still haven't done a single one right so far, but it's a blast to try. :)

My recent favorite games:

by Monochron, Thursday, November 26, 2015, 13:33 (3067 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Kerbal Space Program (Good if you like experiementation and being "successful" in a game)
The Walking Dead (Good if you love interactive stories)
Game of Thrones ('')
Civ V (Good if you love building forces/powers and ELIMINATING your opponents :) )
Terraria (Good if you like building/Minecraft style games but want more focus on
weapons and fighting enemies)

None are really graphics intensive either :)

I'm downloading Star Wars Battlefront II right now

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, November 26, 2015, 15:27 (3067 days ago) @ cheapLEY

After loving the new Battlefront for about 6 hours, I completely lost all interest in it. I think it is great in a lot of ways, but it really is a shell of a game compared to Battlefront 2. So I'm downloading Battlefront 2 to scratch that itch. It's like $3 :)

I'm downloading Star Wars Battlefront II right now

by marmot 1333 @, Thursday, November 26, 2015, 16:16 (3067 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I think they turned all the servers off a few years ago.

I could be wrong.. but I think you can only do single player now.

I'm ok with that

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, November 26, 2015, 17:02 (3067 days ago) @ marmot 1333

I think they turned all the servers off a few years ago.

I could be wrong.. but I think you can only do single player now.

I think you're right. But I put hundreds of hours into BF2 on the original Xbox without ever touching the multiplayer. Bot matches are more than enough fun for me :)

I have never played Battlefront 2 online

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, November 26, 2015, 18:54 (3066 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Still one of my favorite OXbox games.

Tons of couch-PvP, though. Galactic Conquest FTW!

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, November 26, 2015, 20:08 (3066 days ago) @ ZackDark

Still one of my favorite OXbox games.

Tons of couch-PvP, though. Galactic Conquest FTW!

Galactic conquest is great. It's the space battles that really got me playing for months and months. I just love the interplay between the capital ships and fighters, defense turrets, plus the whole "invade the enemy command ship and sabotage it from the inside" thing :)

by Funkmon @, Thursday, November 26, 2015, 20:38 (3066 days ago) @ ZackDark

I played this earlier in the year. I hated it. I am beginning to consider that my opinions on many games are wrong.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, November 26, 2015, 20:51 (3066 days ago) @ Funkmon

I played this earlier in the year. I hated it. I am beginning to consider that my opinions on many games are wrong.

I could totally see it not holding up very well. I'm not usually someone who enjoys going back to old games, but I'm going to give it a shot because a) it was only 3 bucks, and b) nobody has made a game quite like it ever since. The new Battlefront has just enough similarities to make me realize how much I miss this kind of game, without actually satisfying that desire. We'll see how it goes :)

Outlast

by TheeChaos @, Friday, November 27, 2015, 13:14 (3066 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Really cool game. Its "scary". It was a PSN free game for PS4 and SO i got it last year and fell in love. It is relatively short, but has an expansion to match. The story is solid. Graphics are really good.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent is another really good game. the graphics arent the best in the world, but that game really put some OH SHIT IM SCARED moments into my life.

+1

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Friday, November 27, 2015, 15:39 (3066 days ago) @ TheeChaos

If Chaos and I actually agree on something (usually we bicker like an old married Korny) it must be good.

+1

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, November 27, 2015, 16:09 (3066 days ago) @ someotherguy

If Chaos and I actually agree on something (usually we bicker like an old married Korny) it must be good.

If you liked Outlast in any capacity, the Whistleblower DLC is even better. It's a solid standalone prequel that answers a number of questions that lingered during the main game. The scares are different, the villains are unique (and sympathetic, in a way), and it was actually very scary at times.

As for Amnesia, I got pretty bored of it. "Scares" are more random, but get old quick, since it's always the same strategy and time waste.
But the plot was interesting enough.

+1

by TheeChaos @, Friday, November 27, 2015, 17:26 (3066 days ago) @ someotherguy

HAHAHAA,

I actually had to zoom in my browser to determine if that was a + or a - . hahaha.

I did a bad thing . . .

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, November 29, 2015, 01:47 (3064 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Despite already having too many games and not enough time, the GOTY edition of Morrowind was 6 bucks on stream. I'm ten hours deep. /:

I never did play either expansion despite Morrowind still being one of my all time favorite games, so that's exciting. But damn, I'm not finished with Fallout 4 yet. The even worse thing is that now I can take my laptop to bed and play Morrowind, which has already resulted in lost sleep. :P

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread