PvP in Black Ops 3: It works and its glorious! (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Friday, December 04, 2015, 18:19 (3070 days ago)

(full disclosure, I was a die hard BLOPS2 guy, and over a decade ago I worked for Treyarch and Activision, so I may be subconsciously biased, but I don't think I am)

I shot a guy, my bullets hit him, he took damage, and he died.

Another guy shot me, I took damage, and I died, but I knew how I died, who shot me, and that it was a fair kill.

And that's the thing. Blops isn't as smooth to control as Destiny. It's not as seamlessly animated. But it's fair. And, if we're being completely honest with ourselves, Destiny's PvP just isn't.

The lag issues in destiny have become part of the game. Utter frustration at emptying a mag into someone, or three golden gun shots, just to see them teleport backwards after taking no damage whatsoever. More frustration when you shotgun a guy in the back, and he has time to turn around the stab out twice before you both die. Or when you swear to god you pulled the trigger but the shot just didn't fire. I saw someone's dead ghost shoot a rocket in trials last week. What I'm saying is this: The PvP in Destiny is completely bullshit as far as PvP fairness goes, and it took me going to Blops to really realize that.

After just a handful of games of Blops, I'm done with destiny's PvP. It's garbage in comparison. It *could* be better - much better - if it had cleaner netcode, but it doesn't, and I'm over wishing in one hand that Bungie gets their act together. I'm done playing on the hope that the game improves later. When it improves, I'll come back. I want it to improve. I'm not putting it in the trash or swearing off of it forever or anything drastic like that.

But I am recognizing that there is a good FPS PvP alternative that has more fair gameplay. When you shoot a guy you hit that guy. There's no phantom bullet. There's no postmortem melee. There's no situation in which lagging out gives you an advantage. All because they built the code to be fair *first* and smooth second, which is how PvP code should be done, in my opinion.

So if you're a FPS PvP guy like me, check out Black Ops 3. It's great.

---

Also, I'm on the Xbone for Blops 3. Hit me up at The Last Shrike over there.

Cheers gang, I'll see you back when more content comes out, and probably when balance changes are released from time to time.

Do they do skill based matchmaking?

by Funkmon @, Friday, December 04, 2015, 19:01 (3070 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Also, I didn't know you worked there back then. What games did you work on?

I actually don't know.

by Kahzgul, Friday, December 04, 2015, 19:40 (3070 days ago) @ Funkmon

I worked on Call of Duty 2, Call of Duty 2: Big Red One, Gun, Tony Hawk: Underground, Tony Hawk: Underground 2, Doom 3, loads of other titles. Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2, Ultimate Spider-Man... I don't remember. It's been a very long time.

I actually don't know.

by Funkmon @, Saturday, December 05, 2015, 05:27 (3070 days ago) @ Kahzgul

No shit! I assumed Big Red One and COD2 were separate teams. How interesting!

Anyway, I wonder if maybe COD matchmakes you with dudes with better connections by default.

They were separate teams

by Kahzgul, Sunday, December 06, 2015, 07:35 (3069 days ago) @ Funkmon

I moved around a lot depending on what was needed.

heh, I feel this way, but about Halo 5

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, December 04, 2015, 19:32 (3070 days ago) @ Kahzgul

- No text -

PvP in BO3, it sort of works sometimes and its ok

by Durandal, Saturday, December 05, 2015, 00:34 (3070 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I've been in some heavy lag matches where my bullets don't work. The weapon balance and map design heavily weights SMGs. Killstreaks just amplify team momentum much of the time to the point where the other team is just blown out. Super balance is very hit or miss.

I think BO encourages even more bouncing around and crazyness then Destiny, but it still retains the annoying no scoping aim sniper rifles and teleporting knives that have plagued the series. There is no skill matching that I can perceive, and my solo matches range from disgustingly good to utter failure.

Generally, the main thing BO has going for it is that you can get all the guns and customizations via play, so you never have to farm bosses or drops and you don't grind materials to update things. That being said I don't think I've bothered to prestige anything since Modern Warfare 1.

PvP in Black Ops 3: It works and its glorious!

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, December 05, 2015, 01:00 (3070 days ago) @ Kahzgul

So I rarely if ever experience the problems you're describing. I run into the occasional hiccups; getting hit when I've already rounded a corner, postmortem melee kills... but I see quirks like that in every single peer-to-peer game I've ever played. Am I in the minority here when it comes to Destiny? My connection is good, not great (roughly 50mb down, 5mb up). I have the occasional laggy match, but more often than not I find Destiny PvP runs very smoothly, with fair and predictable hit detection. Even Iron Banner, which seems to draw a lot of lag complaints, runs just fine for me. Is it an Xbox Live vs PSN situation? Or perhaps I'm just really lucky?

by TheeChaos @, Saturday, December 05, 2015, 01:22 (3070 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Nah I am with you. Outside of the occasionally blatant lag, I am usually good. I do tend to have more xbox issues (i did some research, somehow it was in Pacific time instead of Eastern, ever since its been good). I think its more about the "I hit him hes dead" where as in Destiny we have shields..

24mb up 5mb down = no problems for me

by breitzen @, Kansas, Saturday, December 05, 2015, 03:24 (3070 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I run into lag every once in a while in Destiny PVP, but no more than any other game.

That's a legitimately weird connection. Up faster than down?

by Funkmon @, Saturday, December 05, 2015, 05:28 (3070 days ago) @ breitzen

- No text -

Haha! Good call! Reverse those. ;)

by breitzen @, Kansas, Saturday, December 05, 2015, 17:23 (3070 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

I play destiny on PSN. I've heard Xbox Live is better.

by Kahzgul, Sunday, December 06, 2015, 07:36 (3069 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Saturday, December 05, 2015, 01:56 (3070 days ago) @ Kahzgul

(full disclosure, I was a die hard BLOPS2 guy, and over a decade ago I worked for Treyarch and Activision, so I may be subconsciously biased, but I don't think I am)

Another guy shot me, I took damage, and I died, but I knew how I died, who shot me, and that it was a fair kill.

And that's the thing. Blops isn't as smooth to control as Destiny. It's not as seamlessly animated. But it's fair. And, if we're being completely honest with ourselves, Destiny's PvP just isn't.

I disagree here. I feel that BO3 is every bit as solid in the controls as Destiny and the animation feels even better because of the 60fps. It's really horrid to go back to Destiny after playing BOps.

The lag issues in destiny have become part of the game. Utter frustration at emptying a mag into someone, or three golden gun shots, just to see them teleport backwards after taking no damage whatsoever. More frustration when you shotgun a guy in the back, and he has time to turn around the stab out twice before you both die. Or when you swear to god you pulled the trigger but the shot just didn't fire. I saw someone's dead ghost shoot a rocket in trials last week. What I'm saying is this: The PvP in Destiny is completely bullshit as far as PvP fairness goes, and it took me going to Blops to really realize that.

Yes, I agree there is def a better experience in terms of the network connection quality. It's also very fast in Matchmaking, and the join in progress is extremely quick. I also like the fact that if you lose a join in progress game, it doesn't count as a loss for you. Pretty smart.

After just a handful of games of Blops, I'm done with destiny's PvP. It's garbage in comparison. It *could* be better - much better - if it had cleaner netcode, but it doesn't, and I'm over wishing in one hand that Bungie gets their act together. I'm done playing on the hope that the game improves later. When it improves, I'll come back. I want it to improve. I'm not putting it in the trash or swearing off of it forever or anything drastic like that.

I still like that Destiny's longer ttk, and map design seem to create better gameflow and movement. If I don't move quickly enough in BOps, I get killed from behind due to the quick spawn flip. When I move more quickly though, I get caught off guard too often. This make me camp alot which I hate doing. In Destiny I feel free to move knowing that if I play smart I can find cover and out flank my enemy.

But I am recognizing that there is a good FPS PvP alternative that has more fair gameplay. When you shoot a guy you hit that guy. There's no phantom bullet. There's no postmortem melee. There's no situation in which lagging out gives you an advantage. All because they built the code to be fair *first* and smooth second, which is how PvP code should be done, in my opinion.

I do agree with this, it is great and I'm loving the change of pace. I'll try to look you up on the Bone.

---

Cheers gang, I'll see you back when more content comes out, and probably when balance changes are released from time to time.

My one dislike is the "supers". The are fairly weak, only last a very short time, and don't seem to change anything. I guess this is good, because I don't want Destiny supers in my CoD.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Saturday, December 05, 2015, 11:30 (3070 days ago) @ Kahzgul
edited by Korny, Saturday, December 05, 2015, 12:15

I disagree... Well, for the most part. I played Trials tonight against a couple of enemies that would occasionally stop taking damage, or their damage wouldn't register until a couple of seconds later. But that's a very rare occurrence. I played a Hardcore CTF game in Blops 3 where a direct snipe with the Locus did nothing to my enemy. No hit markers, nothing.
Latency is a PvP staple. It doesn't seem to matter how the networking is set up.

On that, I completely disagree. No idea how your connection is, but 99% of the time, I have not had any issue with lag or these teleporting enemies that follow you around. And you never post evidence of your claims, even though you should easily have access to it from how often it apparently happens to you. Not a single piece of evidence?

Yeah, about that...

To be fair, I've played countless matches already, and I've only run into a few games like this. Most of the time, it works flawlessly, just like Destiny. Now, I've had a ton of fun in BLOPS 3, but at no point did I think to myself "boy, this networking is way better than Destiny's"... Although you can be in and out of games way faster...

Can confirm. Heck, as a mostly-PvE guy, I too find Black Ops 3 great for that too.

---

Shame you got it on Xbox. I love running the co-op and PvP in Black Ops 3. Hardcore Kill Confirmed FTW! <clip incoming>

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Saturday, December 05, 2015, 12:50 (3070 days ago) @ Korny

Shame you got it on Xbox. I love running the co-op and PvP in Black Ops 3. Hardcore Kill Confirmed FTW!

Representin' warlocks!

Re: Proof

by Kahzgul, Sunday, December 06, 2015, 07:45 (3069 days ago) @ Korny

I understand. My problem is: 1) PS4's clip recording sucks. It takes out waaaay out of the action to do it, and then you get a giant clip that needs to be edited down. 2) I'm an editor in real life. It's my job. The last thing I want to do when I come home is keep editing things just to prove to some guy on the internet (no offense) that I'm not a liar. 3) When I do have the time to edit a clip, I also have the time to do something I'll actually enjoy, like playing the game. I just don't care that much about it.

I guess I did post a bunch of pics of how Birth of History is missing textures and/or geometry, but those have resulted in exactly zero responses from bungie and the bug still persists.

On the xbox, in contrast, I just say "xbox, record that" and bam - I've got a 30 second clip all set and ready to go without ever taking me out of the action. LOVE me some xbox. I honestly wish I'd never fallen sucker to the destiny hype; I literally purchased my PS4 just because I thought Destiny would be so much better on it.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread