DBO Forums - Update on Catalysts... https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/ Bungie.Org talks Destiny en Update on Catalysts... (reply) I forgot all about those, honestly.

]]>
https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=159051 https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=159051 Wed, 12 Dec 2018 18:32:31 +0000 DestinycheapLEY
Update on Catalysts... (reply)

I'm looking at you sunshot catalyst that I never got last faction rally and now have no opportunity to get.

They actually said there'd be more chances to get those catalysts; it hasn't happened yet, and maybe they've changed their minds and simply not told us yet, but i'd guess the chance will come again.

So even though they said that there would be a way to get the Catalysts after Faction Rally 3, and promised to tell us how before Summer was over, it turns out that it was all a lie!

Forsaken came and went with radio silence, and now, dmg04 confirmed on Twitter that you won't be able to get the Catalysts this season either, meaning that you'll have to wait until March or April at the absolute earliest for news on when you will be able to.

]]>
https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=159043 https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=159043 Wed, 12 Dec 2018 17:13:37 +0000 DestinyKorny
About the new raid... (reply)

I don't have an issue with lore. I have never disliked stuff like audiotapes, environmental storytelling, books, or Lore Tabs.

I have issue with some of those except for the environmental storytelling.

Take audio tapes, which more often than not do not make sense within the game world. Who would leave these recordings around, and say the things that they say? Rarely does it make sense that if the world were real a character would do that.

Same thing with the lore tab. I kill 4 guardians on invasion and now I can read some lore. But how does that make sense within the world?! Where is that text 'coming' from?

Environmental storytelling and the ability to talk with characters using dialogue trees solve these problems.

]]>
https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=158775 https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=158775 Tue, 04 Dec 2018 23:32:00 +0000 DestinyCody Miller

Who knows, maybe ditching campaign means more resources going into the raid lair, which would upgrade it to proper Raid status, but considering the way those resources are being spread into three DLCs this time, instead of two, it may be smaller than usual.

I have mixed feelings on this.

Bungie ditching a campaign is good in the sense that their storytelling has been embarrassingly poor in general with the Destiny games. However, the campaigns do present the setting to you, which somewhat contextualizes all the truly fun activities.

A game that is just raids or other challenging activities that lack story would lose something I think. We are beyond the time when challenge alone was the dominant driving factor in immersion. This worked with older games because they were not as sophisticated in their audiovisual presentation to immerse through aesthetics. But games now are. In some sense aesthetics are more effective at immersion than pure challenge. But as the aesthetics of the game are very sophisticated, they feel hollow if not accompanied by some kind of contextualization for their existence.

It may make the game 'better', but the game would be better still if it utilized every avenue for immersion. You could get away with games of pure challenge back in the day because everything else was primitive. But now we have moved on and challenge is not the most important thing anymore.

It may be the best fix right now, but ultimately Destiny needs a solid campaign and narrative to really shine.

I don't think you actually need a full on campaign. As you said, you need context. Without knowing we are fighting a war (like the red one) the crucible doesn't make as much sense. Without seeing the queen and awoken and how prideful, reclusive and all that the dreaming city doesn't seem like a beautiful sanctuary. It all needs context and just seeing these people in the game and telling you clips of stuff doesn't do it all. You need missions that tell story. They don't need to be full on campaigns but we have to SEE these people and how they act to understand what this world is like.

Excellent points, both of you.

It actually reminds me of something folks were talking about a while back, with special regards to the "Just steak vs. Seasoning/sides/meal" metaphor, and SkillUp's talk about how cinematic quests like The Sacrifice are essential, even if they don't add new systems, loot, or gameplay content.

Bungie tossing story aside in favor of lore is a huge misstep that Bethesda just made with Fallout 76, and which clearly did not pay off, as the game's over-reliance on lore has led to a soulless world, and which removed any sense of agency, because you aren't being driven to accomplish something that will push the story forward, you're just looking backwards.

I don't have an issue with lore. I have never disliked stuff like audiotapes, environmental storytelling, books, or Lore Tabs. These are all the "noble pursuits" in storytelling; essential to flesh out your world, give players understanding, and giving context to the status quo... But we need cinematic quests involving us, so that we can feel a sense of importance or progress.

Sure, we can do a raid lair or two without meaningful context, and that'll be fun... But after a while, it's just another item on a weekly checklist that we aren't invested in (Spire of Stars, anyone?). And what has changed afterwards that can give players a sense of story progression? Like you said, what can give us a sense of immersion, and a feeling of impact?

I actually thought that the Leviathan was great story that added to Destiny. The Leviathan raid lairs did not. I'm all for them doing lairs and what not, but I need reason to do them outside why we are actually pursuing in the raid. Leviathan was more than Callus testing us in his games, it was about callus, the cabal, who he is to them and a character that was basically outside the light/darkness we are so use to seeing. THAT is what I want to see. Context for doing a raid is important, but to have a raid experience in the middle of world like Destiny and not know why it's there is not what I want. Also, Last Wish is another great example :D

]]>
https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=158766 https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=158766 Tue, 04 Dec 2018 18:22:01 +0000 DestinyMacAddictXIV

Who knows, maybe ditching campaign means more resources going into the raid lair, which would upgrade it to proper Raid status, but considering the way those resources are being spread into three DLCs this time, instead of two, it may be smaller than usual.

Bungie ditching a campaign is good in the sense that their storytelling has been embarrassingly poor in general with the Destiny games. However, the campaigns do present the setting to you, which somewhat contextualizes all the truly fun activities.

A game that is just raids or other challenging activities that lack story would lose something I think. We are beyond the time when challenge alone was the dominant driving factor in immersion. This worked with older games because they were not as sophisticated in their audiovisual presentation to immerse through aesthetics. But games now are. In some sense aesthetics are more effective at immersion than pure challenge. But as the aesthetics of the game are very sophisticated, they feel hollow if not accompanied by some kind of contextualization for their existence.

It may make the game 'better', but the game would be better still if it utilized every avenue for immersion. You could get away with games of pure challenge back in the day because everything else was primitive. But now we have moved on and challenge is not the most important thing anymore.

It may be the best fix right now, but ultimately Destiny needs a solid campaign and narrative to really shine.

I don't think you actually need a full on campaign. As you said, you need context. Without knowing we are fighting a war (like the red one) the crucible doesn't make as much sense. Without seeing the queen and awoken and how prideful, reclusive and all that the dreaming city doesn't seem like a beautiful sanctuary. It all needs context and just seeing these people in the game and telling you clips of stuff doesn't do it all. You need missions that tell story. They don't need to be full on campaigns but we have to SEE these people and how they act to understand what this world is like.

Excellent points, both of you.

It actually reminds me of something folks were talking about a while back, with special regards to the "Just steak vs. Seasoning/sides/meal" metaphor, and SkillUp's talk about how cinematic quests like The Sacrifice are essential, even if they don't add new systems, loot, or gameplay content.

Bungie tossing story aside in favor of lore is a huge misstep that Bethesda just made with Fallout 76, and which clearly did not pay off, as the game's over-reliance on lore has led to a soulless world, and which removed any sense of agency, because you aren't being driven to accomplish something that will push the story forward, you're just looking backwards.

I don't have an issue with lore. I have never disliked stuff like audiotapes, environmental storytelling, books, or Lore Tabs. These are all the "noble pursuits" in storytelling; essential to flesh out your world, give players understanding, and giving context to the status quo... But we need cinematic quests involving us, so that we can feel a sense of importance or progress.

Sure, we can do a raid lair or two without meaningful context, and that'll be fun... But after a while, it's just another item on a weekly checklist that we aren't invested in (Spire of Stars, anyone?). And what has changed afterwards that can give players a sense of story progression? Like you said, what can give us a sense of immersion, and a feeling of impact?

]]>
https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=158765 https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=158765 Tue, 04 Dec 2018 17:41:18 +0000 DestinyKorny

]]>
https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=158762 https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=158762 Tue, 04 Dec 2018 16:37:01 +0000 DestinyMacAddictXIV

]]>
https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=158696 https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=158696 Sun, 02 Dec 2018 17:22:29 +0000 DestinyCody Miller
About critism (reply)

There are several people that I generally steer away from because of how they write.

Wait!? I'm several people! It's me! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh! D:

[image]
(:P)

]]>
https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=158661 https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=158661 Fri, 30 Nov 2018 19:21:29 +0000 DestinyINSANEdrive
About critism (reply)

As ever, the problem is one of communication, messaging, and expectations.

Destiny is a fantastic, really fun game that still always manages to feel half-baked and sort of empty.

Let me start by reiterating the my post that you replied too--I love Destiny. Forsaken is the best Destiny has every been. There's so much to do, and it's the first time the game world feels like it's a living place, and like it's growing.

That's why I'm really excited to see what happens with the annual pass. If Forsaken is the template for the game moving forward, that's a great thing.

But the history of Destiny is littered with great things that just get abandoned. Look at all the quality of life stuff that came with the Taken King and Y3 of D1. The quest page is the big one. Why the fuck are we back to tracking individual quests in our inventories? It's stupid. Hell, to a lesser extent, that's what the milestones tab was, but instead of having that convenient tab, now the Director screen is a fucking mess of glowy shit.

And Bungie still has a hard time actually keeping things relevant. Why don't the old destination vendor armor sets have random rolls? You can still get those sets, but why would you handicap yourself by using them? Seems like a no-brainer to give those armor sets the new random roll perks and give us a reason to keep turning in planetary materials to those vendors.

Or, how about the ornament system? It was such a smart way to handle that stuff. You have one base armor set, with a new look for it to unlock every season. Early indications from data-mining seem to show that there are no new ornaments for Vanguard, Crucible or Gambit armors this season, and no new armor sets to replace them either. Why? It's an entire system that we had for a year and that was great, but it's been abandoned.

For as fun as Destiny is (and it is incredibly fun and compelling), it's still a game filled with missteps, and a lot of the forward progress feels half-baked. It's a loot game without enough loot--instead of giving us enough loot, they make everything take ages to grind for with poor RNG.

We all love Destiny--that's ostensibly why we're here. Voicing criticisms isn't negativity, and frankly, I'm far more annoyed with the folks trying to silence discussion of those criticisms under the guise of "can't we just be positive?"

For whatever it's worth, I'm not sure there's a need to have this discussion yet again, and it's not actually where I intended to go when I started writing this post. I just hate the "if you don't like it, quit playing it," mindest. We do like it! I love it! That doesn't mean I'm going to ignore its faults or stop hoping it could be better. Because I still firmly believe Bungie can do better, and Forsaken was the proof of that.

Let me start by saying this isn't pointed at any one person. I just replied to you cheapLEY because it was at the bottom and the last thing I read :D

My reply was about my own feelings about the state of Destiny and parts of this forum. I never said and do not wish to suppress anyone's voice on the subject of Destiny.

Some people have already commented on it, but I just want to add my on thoughts, that it's not about voicing criticism it's about how you do it. Yes, we are all different people with different ways of voicing our opinions, but I have to point out that we are also a community and how people talk affects others. I was trying to state, albeit in a gush of emotions and bad English, that the negative criticism was starting to affect me.

I personally feel that criticism is a very important thing, but I also feel that how you do it is almost just as important as doing to begin with. It's not different than having a debate with someone, if you can't have a reasonable debate to get your ideas and point across, what is the point other than venting negative feelings? Yes, venting is also a healthy thing if you aren't doing it all the time.

Your thoughts on Destiny above show more criticism for certain aspects of Destiny than most posts, but that is fine by me because you complement grievances with things that you like or you think that Bungie is still doing a good job at. That added bit turns it into constructive criticism from you, otherwise all it feels like to me is venting and bashing on Destiny. Again, that is in part a good thing at times, but if that becomes a normal reply it starts to become oppressive.

I want to also say that you point about reading some things and not others is a good idea, however it's unfortunate that we have to come to this. There are several people that I generally steer away from because of how they write. But the thing is is that those people also have great ideas that I also want to listen to. This is one more reason why I think we all need to think about how we present our ideas and criticism. There are times I have wanted to reply about a great topic, and I try, but it eventually comes to a point that it just feels like to much effort on my part to sift through all the stuff that to me seems unnecessary.

I still love this community and I am still staying with it. I'm just letting people know it's hard to participate in it sometimes. Which is unfortunate.

]]>
https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=158649 https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=158649 Fri, 30 Nov 2018 15:52:57 +0000 DestinyMacAddictXIV
Silence, you! (reply)

A better position, I think, would be to acknowledge that we're all here in common enjoyment of a game, and though we have disagreements, nobody is actually looking to deny the other person the chance to share their opinions. Heck, I think most of us agree on most things. It's just things like tone and phrasing and snark that gets in the way on occasion.

I’m all for criticism offered in good faith. What I don’t like is consistent cynicism. That makes me wonder if they’re here in common enjoyment of the game or they just like being the guy who pisses in the punch bowl.

This is a place for the former. As such, we don’t have to be welcoming to the latter.

]]>
https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=158648 https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=158648 Fri, 30 Nov 2018 14:10:25 +0000 DestinyKermit
Silence, you! (reply)

I find the constant pushes to silence people here on these forums far more problematic than any single sources of negativity.

Are you sure you're not overplaying things?

You choose to ignore posters you find disagreeable. But to you... the only acceptable option is for everyone to follow your lead? Nobody is allowed to comment on behavior you already acknowledge is not good? Is every single person who comments on a post you would have ignored a silencer? Is it possible to comment on a post you personally choose to ignore without trying to silence that poster? Is it ever acceptable to you for someone to comment on someone else's behavior around here?

Honestly, the game spins round and round. People don't like what someone says and comment on it... which you take as them trying to silence someone. So you then tell them to silence that criticism. Then someone can come and tell you to be silent, I suppose. I guess that would be me... except I was so glad when you came back and I still am. I don't want you to be silent! I read your posts specifically to get your take on things! But I do hope you'll reevaluate your words here because they could be seen as hurtful. They were to me.

A better position, I think, would be to acknowledge that we're all here in common enjoyment of a game, and though we have disagreements, nobody is actually looking to deny the other person the chance to share their opinions. Heck, I think most of us agree on most things. It's just things like tone and phrasing and snark that gets in the way on occasion.

]]>
https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=158641 https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=158641 Fri, 30 Nov 2018 04:18:12 +0000 DestinyRagashingo

At the same time, wanting to silence negativity is not automatically the same thing as wanting to silence criticism.

I'd be in favor of not trying to silence anyone, so long as they aren't breaking any of the forum's rules. The line between "negativity" and "criticism" is blurry at best, and up to a ceratin amount of interpretation in most cases. I find the constant pushes to silence people here on these forums far more problematic than any single sources of negativity. As far as negativity goes, there are several forum members who's posts I no longer click on, because I find their posts too negative or vitriolic to be constructive or worth discussing. So I skip them. Easy to do, and my personal choice to make. Far better than trying to silence the person just because I don't like their posts.

You don't have to read every single comment on these forums. None of us do, (except for the mods, possibly. Although even then I'd say they're fine to skip as many posts as they want. If a post shows up that is truly problematic, I'm sure it would get drawn to their attention real fast).

]]>
https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=158640 https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=158640 Fri, 30 Nov 2018 03:12:03 +0000 DestinyCruelLEGACEY
+7 (reply) https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=158637 https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=158637 Fri, 30 Nov 2018 01:43:20 +0000 DestinyHarmanimus About the new raid... (reply)

We all love Destiny--that's ostensibly why we're here. Voicing criticisms isn't negativity, and frankly, I'm far more annoyed with the folks trying to silence discussion of those criticisms under the guise of "can't we just be positive?"

It's true, criticism is not automatically the same thing as negativity. But criticism can be done in a negative way. It can be too unforgiving. It can be delivered with too much condescension or too much snark. It can leap to conclusions or can treat a worst case scenario too much like a most likely scenario.

At the same time, wanting to silence negativity is not automatically the same thing as wanting to silence criticism.

]]>
https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=158634 https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=158634 Fri, 30 Nov 2018 01:04:00 +0000 DestinyRagashingo
About the new raid... (reply) I certainly wouldn’t say here isn’t a lot to do. There’s a LOT. Even the strikes are super cool this time around.

The problem is locking things behind RNG, or the progression system. With all the cool stuff, there is so much stopping you from doing it. I mean, someone in the video said they were still 540 because he went on vacation. He literally could not damage enemies in the shattered throne! All because he had he audacity to not get every powerful gear milestone every week.

]]>
https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=158618 https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=158618 Thu, 29 Nov 2018 21:58:14 +0000 DestinyCody Miller
About the new raid... (reply) As ever, the problem is one of communication, messaging, and expectations.

Destiny is a fantastic, really fun game that still always manages to feel half-baked and sort of empty.

Let me start by reiterating the my post that you replied too--I love Destiny. Forsaken is the best Destiny has every been. There's so much to do, and it's the first time the game world feels like it's a living place, and like it's growing.

That's why I'm really excited to see what happens with the annual pass. If Forsaken is the template for the game moving forward, that's a great thing.

But the history of Destiny is littered with great things that just get abandoned. Look at all the quality of life stuff that came with the Taken King and Y3 of D1. The quest page is the big one. Why the fuck are we back to tracking individual quests in our inventories? It's stupid. Hell, to a lesser extent, that's what the milestones tab was, but instead of having that convenient tab, now the Director screen is a fucking mess of glowy shit.

And Bungie still has a hard time actually keeping things relevant. Why don't the old destination vendor armor sets have random rolls? You can still get those sets, but why would you handicap yourself by using them? Seems like a no-brainer to give those armor sets the new random roll perks and give us a reason to keep turning in planetary materials to those vendors.

Or, how about the ornament system? It was such a smart way to handle that stuff. You have one base armor set, with a new look for it to unlock every season. Early indications from data-mining seem to show that there are no new ornaments for Vanguard, Crucible or Gambit armors this season, and no new armor sets to replace them either. Why? It's an entire system that we had for a year and that was great, but it's been abandoned.

For as fun as Destiny is (and it is incredibly fun and compelling), it's still a game filled with missteps, and a lot of the forward progress feels half-baked. It's a loot game without enough loot--instead of giving us enough loot, they make everything take ages to grind for with poor RNG.

For whatever it's worth, I'm not sure there's a need to have this discussion yet again, and it's not actually where I intended to go when I started writing this post. I just hate the "if you don't like it, quit playing it," mindest. We do like it! I love it! That doesn't mean I'm going to ignore its faults or stop hoping it could be better. Because I still firmly believe Bungie can do better, and Forsaken was the proof of that.

]]>
https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=158610 https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=158610 Thu, 29 Nov 2018 20:37:50 +0000 DestinycheapLEY
A few people here need to rewatch Ratatouille. (reply)

In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little, yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so.

But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations. The new needs friends.

Which is why I still defend Vanquish as the decade’s masterpiece:-p

You’re right, releasing a game as derivative and un-fun as Vanquish is a risky move ;p

]]>
https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=158608 https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=158608 Thu, 29 Nov 2018 20:25:20 +0000 DestinyCruelLEGACEY
A few people here need to rewatch Ratatouille. (reply)

In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little, yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so.

But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations. The new needs friends.

Which is why I still defend Vanquish as the decade’s masterpiece:-p

]]>
https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=158607 https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=158607 Thu, 29 Nov 2018 20:17:55 +0000 DestinyCody Miller
whaaaat (reply)

Well, that's entirely different than how I expected English to work, to be honest

Sent from my iPhone (so excuse the misspellings and weird sentence structure due to autocomplete)

Nah, Zack's right - that's not really how English works, and it has nothing to do with autocomplete.

You basically said "I'm easy to please - let me just find a winning Powerball ticket on the ground outside my house."

You can't separate the difficulty of completing the task(s) required to satisfy your requirements from the need to please you - if what it takes to please you is getting rid of Eververse, light levels, and the investment system, then you are NOT easy to please, because satisfying those requirements is basically impossible.

From that point of view I see the point.

]]>
https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=158604 https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=158604 Thu, 29 Nov 2018 19:59:14 +0000 DestinyCody Miller
ViDoc - The Road Ahead (reply) I have to disagree cody, removing light levels, progression, is what a lot of us are here for.

I love Bungie, I love Halo, I love what Halo did, but Destiny is different and I'm fine with Destiny being more MMO. Destiny 3 is coming out in 2 years and I cannot wait to see how they will drive progression and the mmo ceiling through the roof

]]>
https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=158598 https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=158598 Thu, 29 Nov 2018 18:55:56 +0000 DestinyCommanderCartman