DBO Forums - Initial Reactions to Season of the Haunted: Mild Spoilers https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/ Bungie.Org talks Destiny en Initial Reactions to Season of the Haunted: Mild Spoilers (reply) Yeah. I think I might be able to write down something quick. Might be a fine exercise.

First Glance Impressions.

[image]
[image]
[image]

But then... well...

I don't know if it's the "growing pains" of such reductions to ability up times or even removal to certain capacities in the abilities we still have. That weren't completely removed. I don't know if it's because, suddenly, we veterans find a shock to our systems in where we could run, now we're crawling again. What is this? What does it taste like? OW!...oh that's my hand. I guess I shouldn't bite that, but I suppose I'll cry for two hours anyway till I shit myself to sleep. And then cry some more because of it.

What I do know is I feel as I did with Void 3.0. I feel it even more now with Solar 3.0. The (debatably) homogenized trees leading to an ironic bluntness. Where there should be MORE identity, it feels to be less. Less nuance. ...even as on the surface of it all such a feeling makes no sense.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yesterday, I gave each class an hour or so. More or less. Warlock (my main) probably more. Titan probably less. All PvE. So then, with plenty of time still to change whatever perceptions I may write here...

Warlock

Disclaimer: I've never really cared for Solar Warlock in D2. I dislike the offensive super as it exists, as it's never felt "super" in its presentation to me. I found it to be boring in the beta, and it still is for me. Instead of throwing "flaming pigeon shit", I've always felt the offensive super should be more... Hawkgirl.

[image]

But Fire.

[image]

A flaming angel of the sky, sword in hand, swooping and dive-bombing like the hawks or falcons warlocks apparently are to espouse. Which, in turn makes it all the more gross how, in this solar subclass; flying, hovering, or floofing aggressively in the air feels more and more stupid and exposed the higher you go. Yeah, I've seen the folks in PvP use the kit to great effect, but it's often not from them flying about, and more because they turned the kit into a makeshift hunter dodge. And power to them! Something has to fight back the Jumpy Hunter Menace in PvP.

But in PvE? Such kit is just, man... "eh".

The only thing I've consistently liked in the solar subclass are the melee abilities. True for all, in fact.

So what do I think of Solar 3.0 Warlock? Both improved and worse at the same time.

The Good

• Just "when I thought they couldn't" make solar melees any better, they go and do it. WOW! :D
  • The aspect (Touch of Flame) that makes solar grenades also shoot molten bits? Legit.
    • The other effects of this aspect are pretty cool too. As I recall we had something like this in D1.
  • I get the feeling that, with time, there finally might have some multifaceted offensive kit to use in PvE.
  • So far, I don't seem to mind the change made to the Well-lock well.

The... hmmmm.

• There seems to be more ways cause everything to excitably combust, but I'm not sure if it's just the rebuilt solar system, or really anything UNIQUE on the Warlock. Don't call me Tim just yet.
  • A dedicated "Phoenix Dive" ability in the class ability slot, which replaces any well.

The Bad

• [image] source
    • Of all three trees, I liked bottom tree the most... sooooo.
  • The dissection and separation of the healing tree.
    • This should have been a dedicated aspect.
    • All I'll say for now is, -the act- of throwing the healing nade should buff your weapon. As it is right now, you full scope lose a hard offense for a timid defense. The strategic math is all wrong.
  • Base offensive super is Over 10:00.
  • Everything else I could say is basically this.

Question

Where are the perks that let the warlock do cool stuff with solar weapons?

Hunter

The Good

• Gunpowder Gamble. The In-Air Shoot'em sticky, and the mechanic to get it is a FANTASTICALLY fun and rewarding loop. Good Job. You Aced this test, champ. ;D
  • Melee Options. Someone on the dev team missed the old knife, so they went and added it too.
  • To that note; You can add more knives to the solar super too! MAKE IT RAIN FIRE!
  • There is still, should you choose, a "Precision" shot buff mechanic.

The...hmmmm.

• Rapid Goldie only refunds super now if you cause enough stacks of ignition to cause the target to blow up.
  • The new dodge, called "Acrobat's Dodge", which buffs weapons.
  • Weighted Throwing Knife refunds Dodge instead of Melee on precision kills. Feels like a PvP Change.

The Bad

• While it is possible to "Precision Headshot Chain" with Knives, to do so requires an exact combination of perks and kit to pull it off.
    • So now I'll have to memorize that that.
      • Instead of the game.
        • In game.

Titan
That new melee is pretty sweet! ...

...<_<...

...and well that's all I got for now.

]]>
https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=178707 https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=178707 Wed, 25 May 2022 19:48:58 +0000 DestinyINSANEdrive
Initial Reactions to Season of the Haunted: Mild Spoilers (reply) Oh, yeah, I knew that. I’m hesitant to do that because then my Void or Crucible builds will be broken.

]]>
https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=178703 https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=178703 Wed, 25 May 2022 18:55:37 +0000 DestinycheapLEY
Initial Reactions to Season of the Haunted: Mild Spoilers (reply)

The problem is that you need a full set of gear for any particular build, and getting armor with the correct stat distribution is a chore. I’m okay with that investment, but they’ve been changing stuff at a quick pace, such that I can’t really keep up. They just released Void 3.0 with Witch Queen. I had armor that mostly worked for that, but what I need for the new Solar build I want is totally different, so I have to build a set basically from square one.

In case you missed it, you can switch fully masterworked armor elemental affinity for a single upgrade module now. Still kind of annoying, but cheaper than previously.

]]>
https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=178702 https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=178702 Wed, 25 May 2022 18:08:05 +0000 Destinysquidnh3

If your gear from last season is just as effective this season, then it means the new activities aren't different enough to provide a novel experience yeah? They should just design the new stuff to have a diverse set of challenges, for which your old gear is not optimal.

Disagree completely. I would argue Bungie is doing more than most to keep things fresh and try to put new mechanics in front of the players every season. Not only with the seasonal story/activities, but with seasonal mods. They are addressing this very thing, with the seasonal artifact unlocks and that short climb each time. To boot, how would you suggest anyone go about designing for future seasons by the thwarting the previous season’s gear every time?

The key to motivating people to get new gear should be that the new activities are easiest with the new gear because they require a different approach than last season. And, as a bonus you get cool new stuff to play.

I suppose in theory I could agree with you here; but should feels strong. Can you think of any examples of a game/studio where that’s been successful at doing this? I think what you’re suggesting is way harder in execution than you realize.

~m

For a live service / perpetual game? Actually no I can’t.

]]>
https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=178701 https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=178701 Wed, 25 May 2022 14:52:59 +0000 DestinyCody Miller
Initial Reactions to Season of the Haunted: Mild Spoilers (reply) They’ve done a great job with this honestly. They’re consistently releasing new and interesting weapons with new cool perks. The class reworks along with seasonal mods encourage playing with builds quite a bit.

The problem is that you need a full set of gear for any particular build, and getting armor with the correct stat distribution is a chore. I’m okay with that investment, but they’ve been changing stuff at a quick pace, such that I can’t really keep up. They just released Void 3.0 with Witch Queen. I had armor that mostly worked for that, but what I need for the new Solar build I want is totally different, so I have to build a set basically from square one. Combine that with the power level stuff, and it gets kinda tedious.

They’ve nerfed ability recharge times across the board, so those stats are more important than they’ve ever been. Previously close enough was good enough, now it really isn’t.

Admittedly this is where my aggressive gear deletion policy bites me in the ass.

]]>
https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=178700 https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=178700 Wed, 25 May 2022 13:18:37 +0000 DestinycheapLEY

If your gear from last season is just as effective this season, then it means the new activities aren't different enough to provide a novel experience yeah? They should just design the new stuff to have a diverse set of challenges, for which your old gear is not optimal.

Disagree completely. I would argue Bungie is doing more than most to keep things fresh and try to put new mechanics in front of the players every season. Not only with the seasonal story/activities, but with seasonal mods. They are addressing this very thing, with the seasonal artifact unlocks and that short climb each time. To boot, how would you suggest anyone go about designing for future seasons by the thwarting the previous season’s gear every time?

The key to motivating people to get new gear should be that the new activities are easiest with the new gear because they require a different approach than last season. And, as a bonus you get cool new stuff to play.

I suppose in theory I could agree with you here; but should feels strong. Can you think of any examples of a game/studio where that’s been successful at doing this? I think what you’re suggesting is way harder in execution than you realize.

~m

]]>
https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=178699 https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=178699 Wed, 25 May 2022 10:37:06 +0000 DestinyMalagate
Weekly Mission *SPOILERS* (reply) Speed and I did the weekly mission, and it's cool. A mix of some very light Glykon stuff culminating in a fight in the old Gauntlet area. The way it echoes that encounter is neat. I genuinely love the reuse of the Leviathan in this season so far. It's almost exactly what I imagined when the Content Vault was first discussed in regards to bringing back old spaces in new ways.

As much as I miss the Leviathan raid, this is honestly a much better use of the space than just bringing that raid back. Although, I would genuinely love to see an old raid brought back but completely reimagined. I can't help but think about playing a twisted version of that raid with this aesthetic. Different enemies and encounters in the old raid space would be really cool. This is honestly closer to that than I would have expected (obviously with dumbed down mechanics for matchmade teams), but it'd be cool to see them go all out with something like that.

]]>
https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=178698 https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=178698 Wed, 25 May 2022 04:39:07 +0000 DestinycheapLEY

I can appreciate this, but it's never really bothered me outside of IB, Raids, and sometimes the Invasion dichotomy in Gambit. I can't say that I think it's necessary, but I realize it makes much of the ingame economy work, and if every possible combination of our gear would always result in the same power (ie, efficacy against enemies), then why would anyone ever be moved to use any other combination of weapons or gear? People would get bored with a flat meta, wouldn't they? If my gear from last season is just as effective as this season, with no impetus to go after the new and different things, then my own game experience stagnates, doesn't it?

]]>
https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=178697 https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=178697 Wed, 25 May 2022 01:22:26 +0000 DestinyCody Miller

-YAY: Relieved that we don't seem to be getting a Leviathan Raid remaster.

Their use of the Leviathan is brilliant here. Turning it into a miniature Patrol zone is genuinely cool. Being able to run the familiar halls with a new twist is extremely neat. It's also twisting the knife a bit, as I miss that raid, and content vaulting still fucking blows. They truly should have just made Destiny 3. At least the content still would have existed that way.

I can't agree more. The fact that you know the space, it's familiar-but-strange (hat tip to those who know), and there are things you're going to think and feel and be nostalgic about; little corners or pathways that you used to know and want to go investigate, but when you do, it's all changed; Bungie has really cultivated a way to work with geometry we know (and assets they already have) to squeeze even more life out of them in a way that genuinely feels fresh. I really love what they've done. In this specific instance, it makes the spookiness and creeping dread tangible.

With that said, can you imagine if they ever did something within the canon to devastate Earth? What would that make us as a community feel as we played through it? I still want them to do the Human exodus thing. But I digress.

I've only played Hunter so far, but Solar 3.0 seems cool. Definitely need to play around with builds, which leads to the frustrating part. Building armor sets is so fucking tedious, especially with power level being attached to it. I didn't play much of last season, I'm at 1532. All my stuff is set up for Void, so I either need to collect more armor and level it up, or I need to convert some pieces to Solar affinity to make shit work.

Okay, so this makes me just want to hang out with you for a couple evenings and play with builds, because for me that's where 3/4 the fun is in Destiny. Don't get me wrong, everything new always feels beautiful and crisp, whether it suits me or not, so I'm not saying there's nothing else to enjoy.

If you want my advice, I would say don't use anything if it isn't within 10 points of your desired power level. Keep some cores on-hand to use a blue or a high-power trash drop to bring whatever piece of gear it is up to somewhere close to where you want it. If you're the type that over-focuses on max light, well. You're going to be frustrated. At least, that frustrates me, and makes me feel incredibly limited versus playing just a little under-levelled and having access to nearly anything I want.

I don't know if you obsess over owning every possible mod available like I do(damn you, Adept mods), but I think that's the only real limitation. Also, not sure if you're a DIM user, but saving loadouts and swapping on the fly is such a game-changer, I honestly feel like anyone not using third-party apps to manage their gear and loadouts is really missing out on the quality of life that's possible in Destiny. I can swap all my gear around without a second thought, and equip entire builds at a single click. I'm constantly swapping out every last mod on a piece of armor to fit some particular build I'm in the mood for, and that build will only last 5-6 activities at max. Building on the fly is kind of my playstyle. (I'm only spending so many words on this in an effort to suggest a way to ease the parts that frustrate you. <3)

Speaking of power level, when are they gonna ditch this shit? The new activity is 1580, but the tool tip says you will straight up just be brought up to power to play it. So why the hell does it even exist? To be clear, this is a good thing, as without it doing that, I'd be looking at who knows how long just grinding power to get it, and I absolutely would have just uninstalled the game again instead. Just ditch it already, everything they've been doing is moving that direction anyway. I'm tired of the constantly moving target.

I can appreciate this, but it's never really bothered me outside of IB, Raids, and sometimes the Invasion dichotomy in Gambit. I can't say that I think it's necessary, but I realize it makes much of the ingame economy work, and if every possible combination of our gear would always result in the same power (ie, efficacy against enemies), then why would anyone ever be moved to use any other combination of weapons or gear? People would get bored with a flat meta, wouldn't they? If my gear from last season is just as effective as this season, with no impetus to go after the new and different things, then my own game experience stagnates, doesn't it?

I do realize I begin to sound like someone who's been pounding the Kool-Aid there, but the point stands. I'm not in love with the concept of investment systems (enjoy yourself here, Cody), but I've got to say it truly hasn't ever bothered me or conditioned my play habits to exist within that particular system. If I find myself too under-levelled for something, it's usually a matter of a few quick infusions, or swapping a couple pieces of gear, and that's it.

I hear you about the constantly moving target, and no judgement whatsoever, but I'm here to have fun, and chasing a number because that's where we're supposed to be to enjoy the game just feels like bunk to me. As far as I'm concerned, I'll get there when I get there, and so far that's always turned out to be near the middle of a season, so I can't say I really feel like I've ever had to grind to enjoy myself playing the activities I want to play. But as with everything, YMMV.

~m

]]>
https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=178696 https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=178696 Tue, 24 May 2022 23:07:37 +0000 DestinyMalagate

Their use of the Leviathan is brilliant here. Turning it into a miniature Patrol zone is genuinely cool. Being able to run the familiar halls with a new twist is extremely neat. It's also twisting the knife a bit, as I miss that raid, and content vaulting still fucking blows. They truly should have just made Destiny 3. At least the content still would have existed that way.

I've only played Hunter so far, but Solar 3.0 seems cool. Definitely need to play around with builds, which leads to the frustrating part. Building armor sets is so fucking tedious, especially with power level being attached to it. I didn't play much of last season, I'm at 1532. All my stuff is set up for Void, so I either need to collect more armor and level it up, or I need to convert some pieces to Solar affinity to make shit work.

Speaking of power level, when are they gonna ditch this shit? The new activity is 1580, but the tool tip says you will straight up just be brought up to power to play it. So why the hell does it even exist? To be clear, this is a good thing, as without it doing that, I'd be looking at who knows how long just grinding power to get it, and I absolutely would have just uninstalled the game again instead. Just ditch it already, everything they've been doing is moving that direction anyway. I'm tired of the constantly moving target.

]]>
https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=178695 https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=178695 Tue, 24 May 2022 22:04:35 +0000 DestinycheapLEY
Initial Reactions to Season of the Haunted: Mild Spoilers [image]

-ALSO YAY: Khepri's Horn still does what I need it to do: proc Roaring Flames with the Barrier Thermite.

-Tommy's Matchbook is a thing of beauty.

-Gambit sweats are out en force. "Boss Burn" doesn't even begin to cover it.

-"New" enemies in Gambit are a welcome change.

-I still really, really love Phoenix Cradle.

-Protip: Step 1. Go to Banshee and swipe right to see the legendary Stasis bow with Headstone for sale. Step 2. Purchase.

-Leviathan-flavored Escalation Protocol is a lot of fun, but with all the flames in close quarters, well. See above.

Love y'all.

~m

]]>
https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=178694 https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=178694 Tue, 24 May 2022 21:04:07 +0000 DestinyMalagate