Dad of the year award goes to..... (Destiny)

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Thursday, January 21, 2016, 21:29 (3010 days ago)

One of the World Artists at Bungie did something mindblowingly amazing for their daughter.

You good sir win at life!!!!

Dad of the year award goes to.....

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, January 21, 2016, 21:45 (3010 days ago) @ unoudid

One of the World Artists at Bungie did something mindblowingly amazing for their daughter.

You good sir win at life!!!!

This is remarkable. I'm pretty sure he posted pics of this recently (last couple of weeks), maybe directly at Imgur; I've seen the top pic before, and thought "wow, that's a dedicated dad" - but this post is brand-new, today. (And I had no clue it was a Bungie artist, the first time I saw it.)

Jealous - both of his daughter, and of his skill and followthrough! :)

Wow!

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, January 21, 2016, 21:45 (3010 days ago) @ unoudid

That's pretty amazing. I'm surprised at the use of concrete. I was assuming fiberglass, although that would create a lot of work to get the bark texture, I suppose.

Looks incredible, though! I love the lights in the branches and little windows. Hell, I'd love to have that in my room!

Wow!

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Thursday, January 21, 2016, 21:51 (3010 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I'm surprised at the use of concrete. I was assuming fiberglass, although that would create a lot of work to get the bark texture, I suppose.

He did use a mix of fiberglass strands and concrete for the bark. We'll use a similar setup for construction projects occasionally depending on what our structural engineers call for in their specs.

When I was studying glass design we would make molds out of a mixture of plaster and fiberglass. it's surprising at how much strength that stuff adds to a mixture.

Wow!

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, January 21, 2016, 21:55 (3010 days ago) @ unoudid

He did use a mix of fiberglass strands and concrete for the bark. We'll use a similar setup for construction projects occasionally depending on what our structural engineers call for in their specs.

When I was studying glass design we would make molds out of a mixture of plaster and fiberglass. it's surprising at how much strength that stuff adds to a mixture.

Shows how much I know. I didn't know fiberglass was ever used in mixtures of other materials. I've only ever done the straight up layering of it with resin. I made fender flares for a buddy's old Jeep Cherokee a few years ago. Was fun to do, but also a lot more labor intensive than I expected (I watched a few videos, said "That looks easy; I can do that!").

Wow!

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Thursday, January 21, 2016, 22:02 (3010 days ago) @ cheapLEY

It can be EXTREMELY labor intensive when learning how to work that stuff.

Here's the bench I designed and built for my master's thesis project. I honestly have no clue how much time I spent perfecting the sculpt on this.

It's a MDF core w/ fiberglass over the top and around 2 gallons of bondo to smooth it out.

[image]

[image]

Wow!

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, January 21, 2016, 22:12 (3010 days ago) @ unoudid

That's impressive, and gorgeous. Did you paint it, as well? Laying down a nice paint job is an art unto itself, too.

I've never done anything like that. The fender flares were easy, especially as they didn't have to be perfect because they were going on an old, crappy, beat Jeep. He got a ticket for some technicality because his tires stuck out more than 3 inches from the body of the vehicle. I figured, well hell, fender flares will fix that.

I think I probably went through too much work. I basically hot glued florist's foam to the Jeep, and carved/sanded out the shaped I wanted the flares to be. Then I used bondo to make that all super smooth and beautiful and nail the shape and made fiberglass molds of that, which I then used to make the actual fenders. The idea was that he could easily make another exact copy of the fender if it it broke from scraping rocks or trees or something while he was wheeling it. To my knowledge, that hasn't happened, and I'm not sure he even still has the molds. ):

It was fun, though, and I'm glad I did it. I've been considering making up a ducktail spoiler for my Mustang to replace the stock one sometime this spring.

Wow!

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Thursday, January 21, 2016, 22:36 (3010 days ago) @ cheapLEY

You definitely did things right from the sounds of it. It's always fun to learn new skills and help friends out.

Unfortunately I can not claim responsibility for the paint job. I picked the color and had it professionally sprayed. The color is Tangelo Pearl by House of Kolor. I saw this color on a hot rod as a kid and had to use it some day :)

Wow!

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, January 21, 2016, 22:42 (3010 days ago) @ unoudid

Unfortunately I can not claim responsibility for the paint job. I picked the color and had it professionally sprayed. The color is Tangelo Pearl by House of Kolor. I saw this color on a hot rod as a kid and had to use it some day :)

Heh, painting is another one of those things where I've said, "That looks easy, I bet I can do that!" While my fiberglass project was at least moderately successful, I cannot say the same for my paint work. I'm pretty good with a rattle can when the need arises (we just plasti-dipped the fenders), but true automotive quality paint work is expensive for a reason: it's worth every penny.

I forgot to ask . . .

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, January 21, 2016, 23:15 (3010 days ago) @ unoudid

How DID you sculpt this? Those curves are gorgeous.

I've seen some neat stuff with folks stretching a cloth and laying fiberglass over that to get nice curves. I've always wanted to try that, but haven't had a project come up where I needed to.

I forgot to ask . . .

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Thursday, January 21, 2016, 23:37 (3010 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I digitally modeled this in 3D Max and then through a lot of trial and error I was able to get it into some software that allowed me to use a 5-axis CNC router to sculpt out 8 blocks of MDF. After those were roughed in, I glued them together and then smoothed out the pieces with a ton of bondo. After it was roughly in shape I then added around 5 layers of fiberglass. Then I began to do the final smoothing process by using an insane amount of bondo.

I probably did this completely backwards, but it was my first time attempting anything like this.

I forgot to ask . . .

by cheapLEY @, Friday, January 22, 2016, 01:27 (3010 days ago) @ unoudid

Ah, okay. So your MDF was literally molded into shape, at least roughly. I was assuming you used it to build an underlying frame and layered something over that for the shape. Sounds cool though! I'd love to play with a CNC machine.

Whoa

by marmot 1333 @, Friday, January 22, 2016, 01:31 (3010 days ago) @ unoudid

That is amazing, and incredibly photographed as well! Great job!

I have no use for this, but I really, really want it

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, January 22, 2016, 01:50 (3010 days ago) @ unoudid

That thing is gorgeous. Any word on mechanical resistance?

Dad of the year award goes to.....

by BeardFade ⌂, Portland, OR, Thursday, January 21, 2016, 21:47 (3010 days ago) @ unoudid

Now that's a labor of love. Really amazing!

Agreed. This is also home DIY project of the year IMO.

by Kahzgul, Thursday, January 21, 2016, 22:12 (3010 days ago) @ unoudid

Freaking amazing work, especially when he says things like "I took a 1 day welding class" and "First time using X tool in 5 years." Skillz.

Agreed. This is also home DIY project of the year IMO.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, January 21, 2016, 22:14 (3010 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Freaking amazing work, especially when he says things like "I took a 1 day welding class" and "First time using X tool in 5 years." Skillz.

That's pretty crazy. Welding is easy enough to learn, but damn, I wouldn't trust my beginning welds that much. He must be a quick learner (which isn't surprising, I guess)!

Dad of the DECADE

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Friday, January 22, 2016, 00:22 (3010 days ago) @ unoudid

That was an amazing build!

That kid will grow up with a great sense of self confidence

by BaghdadBean, Oregon, Saturday, January 23, 2016, 21:46 (3008 days ago) @ unoudid

What a cool, beautiful thing to do. Not just on the omg it's so pretty scale of things, but on the whole step by step work process over hundreds of hours done purely out of love. Great way to show work ethics, the value of learning new skills, AND how much you treasure your kid. While I don't think it takes a fairy tree to show all those things, this is definitely an extravagant way to do it with style.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread