Guardian (As in the news site, not the character) Interview

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 11:56 (3936 days ago)

Guardian talked to Pete Parsons about Destiny. As is the norm for right now, not really any new information but a little bit more about their vision and process (my favorite part usually).

Lots of good quotes, one of my favorites:

How does that add variety to what I do in terms of what happens when I press a button?

Well, we have different classes and each of those classes has different armour and weapons to master over time. And … I get to hold the power of the sun in my hands and then fire it at my enemies. We have some of the best sandbox designers in the world. We're still polishing it now but it's fun to play right now. We play it all the time. I don't really have a good answer for you other than to polish over and over and over again. We have many, many weapons, upgrades and tons of armour and tons of all that stuff. But still we force you to make active choices. We're not just giving you everything.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 12:30 (3936 days ago) @ Xenos

Two things . . .

". . . So we have a private loot stream. This is important so that everything that drops from combat is meant for you. Each player has their own stream of loot and it's unique to them. That works really well when you have two players coming together, one of whom is a veteran and the other is only 20 hours in; it's not boring for either of you as you're each receiving loot that's appropriate to your level. There's a crime that I think we helped commit … I mean, if you take a classic Halo level such as Truth and Reconciliation, there's no reason to go back when you've been there. As a player I want to go back, but there needs to be value and a reward for me to do so. We think that will be a huge deal."

I like the prospect of a private loot stream, but It makes me think that if there is any trading mechanic, it will be limited. I'm not sure if I understand the reference to Truth and Reconciliation though.

I can see some similarities between Destiny and Borderlands in terms of the classes and the way in which loot works. When that game came out were you worried?
No. This is a very old idea.

Oh, I understand that. I'm not suggesting you guys have copied of anything like that …
We know Randy well. It was interesting to play. The thing we've always felt is that we could have done a lot more with Halo and we didn't. There was only so much we could do with the team over time. We mainly spent a long time looking at World of Warcraft. It's a server side implementation from a developer we really admire and we thought it would be awesome if we could do those kind of things, but we had the visceral sandbox experience we're really good at.

Borderlands, yes. But the mechanic of people coming together and having their investment and power and items mean something because they are persistent through the world and they grow in the world. That's been the challenge.

Everyone has been saying it - but this is the first time I have seen any mention to it in a actual interview. It seems to me that, off the answer given, the big thing about Destiny is how much more social it intends to be - even if you aren't very social. I look forward to seeing this in action when the time comes.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 12:52 (3936 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I'm not sure if I understand the reference to Truth and Reconciliation though.

I think all he was saying is that in any Halo level you don't really have a drive to revisit places except for the story, and in Destiny you can go with someone else for their first time even though you've been there before and still get something rewarding out of it (loot).

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 13:00 (3936 days ago) @ Xenos

I'm not sure if I understand the reference to Truth and Reconciliation though.

I think all he was saying is that in any Halo level you don't really have a drive to revisit places except for the story, and in Destiny you can go with someone else for their first time even though you've been there before and still get something rewarding out of it (loot).

Gameplay perhaps? But if so then I would have to disagree, Truth and Reconciliation has one of the most unique levels of game play in Halo.

Isn't game play key & loot part of gameplay? . . . Oh great - now I'm more confused ._.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 13:16 (3936 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I definitely agree with you, but the idea if I understand it correctly is that gameplay is a temporary thing, you only get anything out of it while you're playing. They're saying you would get something that you can keep and use in future experiences, which would drive more people to go back to locations they might never return to.

Because Gameplay. . .?

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 13:30 (3936 days ago) @ Xenos

I definitely agree with you, but the idea if I understand it correctly is that gameplay is a temporary thing, you only get anything out of it while you're playing. They're saying you would get something that you can keep and use in future experiences, which would drive more people to go back to locations they might never return to.

First - I appreciate the assistance. That said, I find the concept of game play being temporary odd, since in the end that is what video games are. Whats making me go back to something is game play - I keep the enjoyment of the experience of that game play. Loot - while is something you can "keep", I find (or as I am thinking of it at this moment) is actually much less of a lure. How is this? - well if you get something you like -what makes you go back? You have "it" now. What would make one place more appealing then the other? If it is to "get more stuff", since it's all random(?) anyway why would you go to a certain location?

I find my self saying gameplay. *._.*

I know you can't answer these questions. I think I know what to ask in the mail sack now.

Yeah I agree, just trying to interpret what HE is saying :)

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 13:31 (3936 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

Thanks Again! :)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 13:32 (3936 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

"will be about the things they've done together"

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, June 21, 2013, 01:04 (3934 days ago) @ Xenos

"The story becomes just one of the many activities that are valuable. We hope the stories that people will tell won't necessarily be about the fiction, but will be about the things they've done together. That's not a bullshit answer. We are going to give you new things to do every single day, every single week even if it's not storyline in the traditional sense."

I remembered thinking that I didn't want to post online about getting a new gun or achieving some level because those end up being superficial/random. What I do want to post about and can't stop talking about are the experiences I share with other players.

The above quote is really encouraging to me and jives with a lot of the other really entertaining super secretive talking that they've been doing.

I just don't agree with the "Loot Lust" the industry has. I want to play, not acquire.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread