Cancel your PS4 preorders bitches

by Jillybean, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 13:33 (3957 days ago)

OH SNAP!

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 13:34 (3957 days ago) @ Jillybean

- No text -

. . . Xbox One80? XD I Hopes. I SO Hopes.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 13:37 (3957 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

*snicker* New nickname for the console

by Jillybean, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 13:43 (3957 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

. . . Xbox One80. Ha! Love it!

by Oholiab @, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 22:56 (3957 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

Confirmed... with a few downsides

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 13:51 (3957 days ago) @ Jillybean

Official Xbox post about the policy change

Of course the downsides (if you thought these were good in the first place) are that the "shared library" concept is going away, and so is the ability to play a game without the physical disc. Oh well. I think I'm still leaning more towards the PS4 at this point though because of the price point, but perhaps MS hasn't lost me as a gaming customer just yet.

Booo, those features were why I still liked the Xbox One

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 13:57 (3957 days ago) @ JDQuackers

I'll still buy one, but it's sad to me that they do have to give up what to me were the two most exciting features about the Xbox One to make it happen.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 14:23 (3957 days ago) @ Xenos

The DRM and the two of them were pretty much hand-in-hand. Take one out of the equation and the other has to go down too.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 14:26 (3957 days ago) @ ZackDark

The DRM and the two of them were pretty much hand-in-hand. Take one out of the equation and the other has to go down too.

Yeah I wasn't very upset about the DRM though aside from the 24 hour check. They could have solved it by requiring you to login to access a game that you have lent out, but if you haven't lent it out no check was required. I didn't rent games and I rarely if ever sold games so neither of those really bothered me.

by Jillybean, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 13:58 (3957 days ago) @ JDQuackers

Yeah it's a real shame about losing the F&F thing, but I think it's just too soon for that feature, at least in my country. The infrastructure is just not in place. The amount of difficulty in establishing an internet connection at my mother's new house has been an eye-opener for how outdated we really are. The sister, for another example, is going to become a poor student very soon with a 360 and unlikely to have a One80 for a few years. I don't really want to share games with many other people.

Give it a few years for faster, better connections where there's never a doubt of being offline and it would be great.

In the mean time, I can hand a disc over very easily. For data transport, a disc is the easiest way of doing it so far.

I genuinely believe that Microsoft are right about cloud gaming, I just don't think we're ready yet.

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 14:06 (3957 days ago) @ Jillybean
edited by Grizzlei, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 14:14

Yeah it's a real shame about losing the F&F thing, but I think it's just too soon for that feature, at least in my country. The infrastructure is just not in place. The amount of difficulty in establishing an internet connection at my mother's new house has been an eye-opener for how outdated we really are. The sister, for another example, is going to become a poor student very soon with a 360 and unlikely to have a One80 for a few years. I don't really want to share games with many other people.

Give it a few years for faster, better connections where there's never a doubt of being offline and it would be great.

I genuinely believe that Microsoft are right about cloud gaming, I just don't think we're ready yet.

I couldn't agree more. There's a lot about the Xbox One that I predict being the standard in the years to come. However, with the Xbox One's reliance on such functionality, an ordinary or less fortunate consumer's ability to take advantage of it would be hindered greatly.

I regularly ship games to my brother who's serving overseas in Japan. I don't mind buying them for him, but I would have liked to see him have access to it faster. Sharing or gifting a digital game over such long distances would've been amazing. So I'm kinda bummed that functionality won't be included at launch or in the foreseeable future.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 14:08 (3957 days ago) @ Grizzlei

I really hope day one digital downloads are still available. I currently own all the Bungie games digitally on the 360, but that was years after they came out on disk. I'd like to not have to buy them twice.

by Jillybean, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 14:09 (3957 days ago) @ Xenos

I heard that they are, yes. Can't find my source though.

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 14:10 (3957 days ago) @ Xenos

I really hope day one digital downloads are still available. I currently own all the Bungie games digitally on the 360, but that was years after they came out on disk. I'd like to not have to buy them twice.

They will be. This is from today's updated policies post: "In addition to buying a disc from a retailer, you can also download games from Xbox Live on day of release. If you choose to download your games, you will be able to play them offline just like you do today. Xbox One games will be playable on any Xbox One console -- there will be no regional restrictions."

Woooo!

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 14:13 (3957 days ago) @ JDQuackers

Thanks for checking, I can't read the actual post on xbox.com while I'm at work.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 14:12 (3957 days ago) @ Grizzlei

I couldn't agree more. There's a lot about the Xbox One that I predict being the standard in the years to come. However, with the Xbox One's reliance on such functionality, an ordinary or less fortunate consumer's ability to take advantage of it would be hindered greatly.

I regularly ship games to my brother who's serving overseas in Japan. I don't mind buying them for him, but I would have liked to see him have access to it faster. Sharing a game over such long distances would've been amazing. So I'm kinda bummed that functionality won't be included at launch or in the foreseeable future.

Well at the very least - the "no regional restrictions" part will make sending games abit less of a logistic nightmare.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 15:18 (3957 days ago) @ Jillybean

Yeah it's a real shame about losing the F&F thing

I don't understand. Why not just let someone opt in to the 24 check in DRM in order for all this cool stuff?

Like, you get it and it functions like an xbox 360, but if you want to play without the disc in the tray or share with your 10 family members, you can turn on the DRM and do it if you want.

Isn't that the best of both worlds?!

by Jillybean, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 15:20 (3957 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Yeah that seems like it should work to me. The capability is clearly there.

by yakaman, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 15:32 (3957 days ago) @ Jillybean

Maybe this would be functionality introduced over time, once all of the bad blood/PR/attention has passed over. I agree with your take about the eventual future and the infrastructure not being there yet.

The XBox Live Update ability/function potentially allows for such a thing over time - something I hope they pursue with the "opt-in" function like Cody mentioned.

In 20 years, internet connectivity will be much like electricity, maybe even more universal.

All in all, this makes me feel better.

by Jillybean, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 15:47 (3957 days ago) @ yakaman

From an infrastructure point of view - I'm absolutely amazed by the quality of my mum's satellite broadband that she just had installed (after BT decided that five minutes out of town and half an hour from Glasgow was just far too far away to have a landline). It struggles with online play but things like streaming video and its downloads and uploads speeds are very reasonable.

The technology will improve, undoubtedly, in the coming years. People will become more used to renting licenses as opposed to owning things. People are still bitching about kindles, remember. It's a bigger leap than content producers would like to think.

Now I'm deeply in love with my kindle, my mp3 downloads and my [meagre] Steam library. You know what all of those things have in common? A individual price tag under £10. I think there's a big price threshold for license library in the minds of most consumers. I buy all three of those license types on a whim, I'm riskier about those purchases than I am about game purchases. My buying behaviours for licenses don't suit how I buy and play games. Either my (the consumer) buying behaviours for games need to change, or the production of the kind of games publishers want to sell of these games need to change. I think both of those options are possible, but not yet.

by NsU Soldier @, Washington, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 18:39 (3956 days ago) @ yakaman

In 20 years, internet connectivity will be much like electricity, maybe even more universal.

Um...barring any invention of an internet-capable device that doesn't run on electricity, I don't think that scenario is too likely.

by yakaman, Friday, June 21, 2013, 15:18 (3955 days ago) @ NsU Soldier

Um...barring any invention of an internet-capable device that doesn't run on electricity, I don't think that scenario is too likely.

Heh.

I'm thinking that the earth's surface will be bathed in wireless internet. Whether or not you can access it is another question. Consider how many have access right now through data plans (i.e. smartphones) that do not have access to clean water or uninterrupted electrical service.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 16:25 (3957 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I don't understand. Why not just let someone opt in to the 24 check in DRM in order for all this cool stuff?

Like, you get it and it functions like an xbox 360, but if you want to play without the disc in the tray or share with your 10 family members, you can turn on the DRM and do it if you want.

Ya know - I was asking the same thing to my self. I would imagine the reason for it - at this point would be either they wouldn't want someone to Hack and Game the system or simply it would be better to "get rid of it" entirely for now.

I suppose this answer will reveal its self with time.

by marmot 1333 @, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 18:09 (3957 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I think the DRM scheme only works if everyone checks in every 24 hours.

Scenario:

You buy a game, install to HD, check in everyday.

You give the disc to your friend, who has never logged in.

You would both be able to play with your single purchase.

The way it should have worked

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 22:46 (3956 days ago) @ Cody Miller

That's largely what I was thinking. Make the default mode like the 360, like they've set it up now. Since I haven't authorized any digital sharing, my console shouldn't need to check in for game authorization status, so there's no chance I'll ever be locked out of a title because my console can't verify that I still own it.

Better still, why not do that on a per-title basis? The checkin requirement seems to exist because after 24 hours, XBL assumes you may have loaned, sold, or traded in some or all of your installed games, instead of assuming you haven't. Why not let someone login to XBL and tell the system "hey, I'm loaning or trading in this game today" before allowing the transaction? Then require either your friend to login to XBL to play the borrowed game (which is reasonable) or require GameStop to checkin with XBL to check that a title being traded in is authorized for tradein. (Also means nobody can steal games from you and then sell them without your permission.)

If the system worked that way, users would only need to checkin when they want to use one of these features, and nobody not using the features would ever be locked out of something they own because of a requirement to make every console checkin every 24 hours.

Better still, allow tradeins of digital purchases. Since there's no other market for doing this except within the system, there's no need for additional checkins-- you're online when you trade your title, the buyer is online when they purchase it, MS and the publisher get their cuts, and GameStop gets nothing.

As it stands, though, I'm sure all of this is in the TOS subject to change without notice. Knowing the way MS wants things to work, and their unwillingness to extend the same rights to digital copies that apply to physical copies (or, indeed, to any copies, given the Xbone's original system) I wouldn't trust them not to partially implement this system later.

The system also needs to work without Kinect plugged in. That's a deal breaker for me as well. No mention of that changing.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 20:22 (3956 days ago) @ Jillybean

You realize that if you checked out a game using that feature, it was a timed demo right? You could not share full games.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, June 20, 2013, 20:40 (3956 days ago) @ Cody Miller

We only know that now, after they did the 180.
Had I known that before, I would've been a lot more hostile toward the whole DRM affair.

Ditto

by Jillybean, Friday, June 21, 2013, 02:06 (3956 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

Its a step.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 13:59 (3957 days ago) @ JDQuackers

An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games – After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.

Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today – There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.

In addition to buying a disc from a retailer, you can also download games from Xbox Live on day of release. If you choose to download your games, you will be able to play them offline just like you do today. Xbox One games will be playable on any Xbox One console -- there will be no regional restrictions.

These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray.

Italics by me.

Its a direction at least - man the internet bitching actually worked! That's... really stunning. It has to be a record or something.

The offline thing was a big deal with me, so I am glad about this.
Now - about that required all seeing & hearing eye. . . .

Its a step.

by ShadowOfTheVoid ⌂, South Carolina, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 18:12 (3957 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Its a direction at least - man the internet bitching actually worked! That's... really stunning. It has to be a record or something.

Never underestimate the power of bad PR. Believe it or not, but in this day in age if enough people complain loudly about a bad thing, it can make a difference, and that's a good thing.

Now - about that required all seeing & hearing eye. . .

I'm just going to unplug the damn thing from the XBO whenever I shut the system off.

by ShadowOfTheVoid ⌂, South Carolina, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 17:51 (3957 days ago) @ JDQuackers

Of course the downsides (if you thought these were good in the first place) are that the "shared library" concept is going away, and so is the ability to play a game without the physical disc. Oh well. I think I'm still leaning more towards the PS4 at this point though because of the price point, but perhaps MS hasn't lost me as a gaming customer just yet.

Considering that the upside is that our consumer rights are going to be respected, I'd say today's news is a massive net positive for most people. I too am going to go PS4 first since it's cheaper, it's exclusives are marginally more interesting, and it seems like Destiny will be better on it, but at least I can feel comfortable getting an XBO now that my money won't be funding an anti-consumer business model.

Bitch please...

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 13:52 (3957 days ago) @ Jillybean

Okay, sure, that's really neato of them to kick out all of that ridiculous online stuffs. I still don't know what to think of its upcoming lineup. A great deal of it looked like bang bang boom boom bip bam pop! at the Microsoft E3 presser and that's not exactly giving me good faith in ensuring a worthy day one buy for the new console. The Xbox One is a more attractive console and I will look further into a purchase.

However, my PS4 pre-order still remains. I'll likely buy all of those gnarly multi-platform titles coming out this fall for PS4. Perhaps like the PS3, the Xbox One will be my "exclusives-only" console.

Bitch please...

by Jillybean, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 14:05 (3957 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Bry on twitter said it best for me - now we can focus on deciding on the games we want to play, rather than the policies we want to play by.

All I'll say isthis fascinates me.

Totally!

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 14:09 (3957 days ago) @ Jillybean

Bry on twitter said it best for me - now we can focus on deciding on the games we want to play, rather than the policies we want to play by.

Not to sound like a broken record, but...couldn't agree more. :P I'll be paying attention a lot more to the subtle or obvious differences in multi-platform titles and who on friends list I'll have a better time playing with.

Yes! This reminds me so much of what I love in crazy platformers and brings it on a massive scale. I'll buy this as soon as it comes out.

Totally!

by SigbiasSilva @, West Midlands, England, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 14:25 (3957 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Yes! This reminds me so much of what I love in crazy platformers and brings it on a massive scale. I'll buy this as soon as it comes out.

It looks totally amazing, and it's free.

Bitch please...

by Avateur @, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 18:31 (3957 days ago) @ Grizzlei
edited by Avateur, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 18:46

Okay, sure, that's really neato of them to kick out all of that ridiculous online stuffs. I still don't know what to think of its upcoming lineup. A great deal of it looked like bang bang boom boom bip bam pop! at the Microsoft E3 presser and that's not exactly giving me good faith in ensuring a worthy day one buy for the new console. The Xbox One is a more attractive console and I will look further into a purchase.

However, my PS4 pre-order still remains. I'll likely buy all of those gnarly multi-platform titles coming out this fall for PS4. Perhaps like the PS3, the Xbox One will be my "exclusives-only" console.

Good call. Take away all the console politics and all I saw from Microsoft at E3 was a bunch of CGI and nothing. When their grandest title, Halo, can't even show gameplay a year out, that tells me everything I need to know (and if not, it sure tells me everything I need to know about H5).

Besides, Bungie is really edit: not (thanks Xenos!) pushing the Destiny on Playstation bit, so I'm thinking it's the way to go. I'll trust Bungie and their console "recommendation/blessing" over Microsoft and their bullshit.

Bitch please...

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 18:35 (3957 days ago) @ Avateur

Besides, Bungie is really pushing the Destiny on Playstation bit, so I'm thinking it's the way to go. I'll trust Bungie and their console "recommendation/blessing" over Microsoft and their bullshit.

I feel like a broken record, but as Deej has stated it is Sony that is interested in them not the other way around. At most it's Activision pushing for Playstation. I am not saying this to try and sway someone to one side or the other, just want to make sure correct information is out there.

Bah. Ninja'd.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 18:37 (3957 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

:-D

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 18:38 (3957 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

Bitch please...

by Avateur @, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 18:43 (3957 days ago) @ Xenos

Which is well and good from a diplomatic standpoint. It was fun reading Urk's answer to IGN about the Xbox One and how it almost entirely just speaks about the PS4. That and the whole PS4 reveal, what with Jason Jones saying it's a great piece of hardware.

I could be reading too far into it, and I probably am. I'm also very, very biased because I think what Microsoft tried to do to consumers is disgusting. Thanks for pointing me to that post. It still reads as very diplomatic to me, but it's definitely a good thing for me to see and consider.

Getting down to the merits of the games themselves, Killer Instinct is all that console has. Titanfall? It'll come out on the 360 and the PC. Xbox One exclusive nothing. Halo 5? Covered that joke. I'm not seeing anything special.

Bitch please...

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 18:46 (3957 days ago) @ Avateur

Which is well and good from a diplomatic standpoint. It was fun reading Urk's answer to IGN about the Xbox One and how it almost entirely just speaks about the PS4. That and the whole PS4 reveal, what with Jason Jones saying it's a great piece of hardware.

I could be reading too far into it, and I probably am. I'm also very, very biased because I think what Microsoft tried to do to consumers is disgusting. Thanks for pointing me to that post. It still reads as very diplomatic to me, but it's definitely a good thing for me to see and consider.

Getting down to the merits of the games themselves, Killer Instinct is all that console has. Titanfall? It'll come out on the 360 and the PC. Xbox One exclusive nothing. Halo 5? Covered that joke. I'm not seeing anything special.

Yeah I don't blame you. Most of my friends staying with Xbox is the main thing that will make me get a One, but I think the PS4 is looking great, and I will most likely get one also. The systems honestly don't seem different enough to me to have an outright winner as far as the boxes by themselves stand.

No Bitch - YOU PLEASE

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 18:37 (3957 days ago) @ Avateur

Besides, Bungie is really pushing the Destiny on Playstation bit, so I'm thinking it's the way to go. I'll trust Bungie and their console "recommendation/blessing" over Microsoft and their bullshit.

Bungie isn't pushing Destiny on Playstation. Playstation came to them. I can only imagine why. Oh Snap.

Thanks INSANE

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 18:38 (3957 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Can I call you INSANE? Glad I'm not the only one pushing that idea.

Thanks INSANE

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 18:42 (3957 days ago) @ Xenos

Can I call you INSANE? Glad I'm not the only one pushing that idea.

As long as you don't call me crazy in my favorite white coat I won't have to stalk you and eat out your liver while you watch.

[image]

Awwwww. . . Its a MOOSE!

The scariest kind! A PANTS MOOSE!

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 18:42 (3957 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

by Kalamari @, Waiting for Ghorn, FB, and BH, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 14:11 (3957 days ago) @ Jillybean

Does this mean EA has to backtrack on it's online passes comment?

I suppose they could still require an online connection while playing their games, so maybe they won't after all.

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 14:14 (3957 days ago) @ Kalamari

I suppose they could still require an online connection while playing their games, so maybe they won't after all.

yeah, I think that what's important to note here is that while Microsoft has loosened their DRM-like policies, this says nothing about whether they will prevent developers/publishers from implementing such policies directly into their games.

by Jillybean, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 14:15 (3957 days ago) @ Kalamari

Damn now that would be hilarious.

EA: Uh, yeah, so um, now we want to implement this crazy new thing we think you'll love. Called an Online . . . Ticket. Yeah. It's awesome. All of our games for Playstation and Xbox will need it.

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 14:18 (3957 days ago) @ Jillybean

Thankfully Sony stated during E3 that they would not allow publishers to charge an additional fee for online capability in their games. As of now, the possibility still remains that Xbox games will be open to having online passes, but it seems that Sony has put their foot down since now PS4 users will require PS+ to play online already.

Amazingly EA will not backtrack

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 18:56 (3957 days ago) @ Kalamari

I'm shocked. For now at least.

Saw this coming.

by biggy ⌂ @, Tinseltown, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 14:13 (3957 days ago) @ Jillybean

Now they just have to drop the price, allow for self publishing and get rid of mandatory Kinect. Still keeping my PS4 pre-order, but at least I'm consdering buying an Xbox One as well.

Saw this coming.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 14:18 (3957 days ago) @ biggy

Now they just have to drop the price, allow for self publishing and get rid of mandatory Kinect. Still keeping my PS4 pre-order, but at least I'm consdering buying an Xbox One as well.

If they drop the mandatory Kinect - the price will drop. The two aren't mutually exclusive. For one to happen it must be in the effect of the other.

Saw this coming.

by biggy ⌂ @, Tinseltown, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 16:31 (3957 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

When I say mandatory Kinect I mean having to have the device plugged in at all times.

Amazon pre-order

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 14:26 (3957 days ago) @ Jillybean

There are still some "Day One" edition Xbox One's available for pre-order on Amazon if anyone is interested. Nothing all that interesting but a few cosmetic changes. I purchaed myself one just in case I want it by November.

You will have to enable this new setup with a Day One Patch.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 14:28 (3957 days ago) @ Grizzlei

You will have to enable this new setup with a Day One Patch.

by Jillybean, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 14:33 (3957 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I wonder how much of the weekend was spent slaving the engineers to find a way of making that patch?

Probably only for the first run consoles I'm sure

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 14:38 (3957 days ago) @ Jillybean

- No text -

I forgot about my one rule with Kotaku...

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 14:56 (3957 days ago) @ Jillybean

Don't read the comments. This whole debacle just shows how entitled we all are on the Internet. "That DRM is awful, I want to be able to share and sell my games! I'm not going to buy an Xbox One!", "You got rid of the online features that you introduced the DRM for? I'm not going to buy an Xbox One!"

Sheesh.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 15:05 (3957 days ago) @ Jillybean

Well, good on them for realizing this was the right decision to make. Should they have done it this way to start with? Yeah, probably. But still, mistakes are made sometimes, and it takes guts to realize them. Especially when you've already made a big public display, stating that said mistake is the way you're going to do things.

It's interesting (though not unexpected) that the disc-in-tray requirement returns as a result. I'd always figured that the originally planned licensing model was (at least partially) a requirement for being able to play without the disc. Oh well, it's what we're used to already. And since the games will be available for download on release day, it should still be possible to go mostly disc-free, provided one has a decent internet connection.

The shared library concept was cool, but inconsequential for my use case, so to that I also say "oh well."

As I've said before, I was always going to have one due to a certain racing franchise I'm fond of. But I am glad of this nonetheless, because it probably means fewer of my XBox friends will be jumping ship, and the system will be less of a pain in the ass for many people.

And as far as the Kinect goes, meh. I think it's funny that people insist on using the word "mandatory" constantly, as if they believe an XBox One exists somewhere without a Kinect, and they're just being arbitrarily forced to buy an extra accessory. The system is designed to have those sensors, in the same way an XBox 360 is designed to have controllers, a power button, and an IR receiver. Those are the controls and inputs the system has. It's not like a 360 where the Kinect sensor was just an add-on developed after the fact.

Now, the monitoring complaints I understand, with a few caveats. First, if you're imagining that your Kinect is recording video of you when it's off, consider that using ONE of the Kinect's sensors does not necessarily mandate that ALL of its sensors be turned on. It's highly unlikely that anything other than the microphone is on when the system is shut down (I say microphone because they've said it listens for an "on" command). I guess you could always just unplug it when it's not in use. Or, better yet (and I mean this as a serious piece of advice), get one of those power strips that turns everything else off when your TV is off! Heck, maybe you already have one, in which case you're fine.

Could it record you when it's sitting at the dashboard, or when a game is being played? I suppose so, if MS or the devs wanted it to. But the same could be said of your smartphone or PC webcam (frankly, those devices are MORE of a risk due to the higher prevalence of malware), yet I hear no one berating their smartphone or laptop manufacturer for including a "mandatory" camera. Like any of those things, it comes down to whether you trust the manufacturer, and the makers of the software running on it.

All that being said, I still like the PS4, and probably will have one as well.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 16:36 (3957 days ago) @ stabbim

Now, the monitoring complaints I understand, with a few caveats. First, if you're imagining that your Kinect is recording video of you when it's off, consider that using ONE of the Kinect's sensors does not necessarily mandate that ALL of its sensors be turned on. It's highly unlikely that anything other than the microphone is on when the system is shut down (I say microphone because they've said it listens for an "on" command). I guess you could always just unplug it when it's not in use. Or, better yet (and I mean this as a serious piece of advice), get one of those power strips that turns everything else off when your TV is off! Heck, maybe you already have one, in which case you're fine.

Could it record you when it's sitting at the dashboard, or when a game is being played? I suppose so, if MS or the devs wanted it to. But the same could be said of your smartphone or PC webcam (frankly, those devices are MORE of a risk due to the higher prevalence of malware), yet I hear no one berating their smartphone or laptop manufacturer for including a "mandatory" camera. Like any of those things, it comes down to whether you trust the manufacturer, and the makers of the software running on it.

All that being said, I still like the PS4, and probably will have one as well.

While it is indeed unlikely(?), the risk that it could is enough. Nothing is unhackable, and I mean the absolutely literately. Also - I don't think the X1 will stay powered without the Kinect being connected.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 16:38 (3957 days ago) @ stabbim

To be fair people DID complain about that when they came out. It'll blow over.

You guys have money to pre-order consoles???

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 15:09 (3957 days ago) @ Jillybean

Well I guess I have to start hoping my Mom will still spend as much money on me for my 26th Christmas as she did my 15th...

I hear Black Friday is pretty fun

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 15:13 (3957 days ago) @ Leviathan

If, you know, you like getting trampled and all that

Oh, heck, no...

by TTL Demag0gue ⌂ @, Within the shadow of the Traveler, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 15:33 (3957 days ago) @ Leviathan

I'm still trying to figure out how I'll be able to afford even one next-gen console, let alone both.

Oh, heck, no...

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 15:49 (3957 days ago) @ TTL Demag0gue

Same. My current gaming plan =

1. SAVE UP a TON of money and… buy Destiny for Xbox 360
2. Make more money <BlinkHalo2TeaserStyle>In Progress</BlinkHalo2TeaserStyle>

3. Win lottery.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 16:01 (3957 days ago) @ Leviathan

HAVE money to pe-order... no. WILL have money by November? Most likely. Luckily Amazon doesn't require a payment up front.

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 16:09 (3957 days ago) @ Xenos

HAVE money to pe-order... no. WILL have money by November? Most likely. Luckily Amazon doesn't require a payment up front.

Amazon requires a $50 reservation fee and a $15 cancellation fee should you decide to cancel.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 16:12 (3957 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Amazon requires a $50 reservation fee and a $15 cancellation fee should you decide to cancel.

I was not charged a reservation fee, nor does the cancellation page state I will be charged.

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 16:15 (3957 days ago) @ Xenos

I was not charged a reservation fee, nor does the cancellation page state I will be charged.

You might want to read the fine print again.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 16:16 (3957 days ago) @ Grizzlei
edited by Xenos, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 16:20

Want to provide me a link? It's not listed anywhere on the US product page.

EDIT: Also, I have checked my bank statement, there was no $50 charge, I know in-store pre-orders from other companies require one, but have never EVER been charged a reservation fee or cancellation fee from Amazon for anything.

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 16:33 (3957 days ago) @ Xenos

Want to provide me a link? It's not listed anywhere on the US product page.

EDIT: Also, I have checked my bank statement, there was no $50 charge, I know in-store pre-orders from other companies require one, but have never EVER been charged a reservation fee or cancellation fee from Amazon for anything.

Well it was worth a try. :P

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 15:13 (3957 days ago) @ Jillybean

She ain't dead yet.

I was a bit worried I wouldn't be able to make a Halo 5 cutscene library there for a second! How does 1080p60 5.1/7.1 surround sound to you all? :-p

Now all they have to do is drop the price by $100, and ditch the Kinect as a pack in and we are looking ok.

You still have to check in ONCE though, for the system setup.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 16:05 (3957 days ago) @ Cody Miller

She ain't dead yet.

I was a bit worried I wouldn't be able to make a Halo 5 cutscene library there for a second! How does 1080p60 5.1/7.1 surround sound to you all? :-p

Now all they have to do is drop the price by $100, and ditch the Kinect as a pack in and we are looking ok.

You still have to check in ONCE though, for the system setup.

Luckily for people getting one for Halo 5 it doesn't come out until next year, hopefully by the time it does come out someone will have a sale for it (or Microsoft will drop the price by then)

As far as the check in, I'm sure that's just because they already have plenty of systems built, future consoles I imagine you won't have to get online (though I could be wrong).

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 16:31 (3957 days ago) @ Cody Miller

That's what is still keeping me from getting it. I'm not getting either until Destiny, so I guess I'll just wait and see.

Huh. *NM*

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 15:46 (3957 days ago) @ Jillybean

Well… now it is Halo + Familiar controller design vs. The next-gen platform Bungie seems to like - an unknown controller from a family I don't like. Also $100…

The Xbone will now be know to me as the Xbone 180 though. That's just too good to pass up :)

Huh. *NM*

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 16:10 (3957 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Well… now it is Halo + Familiar controller design vs. The next-gen platform Bungie seems to like - an unknown controller from a family I don't like. Also $100…

The Xbone will now be know to me as the Xbone 180 though. That's just too good to pass up :)

Just pointing out since this misconception won't die, Deej has stated it's Sony courting them not the other way around. That doesn't necessarily change your reasoning, just trying to kill that rumor.

Huh. *NM*

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 17:14 (3957 days ago) @ Xenos

And the currently secret Activision deal that was important enough to announce on stage at E3… but not important enough to actually tell us what the deal was…

Some days I really hate the gaming industry…

P.S. I really enjoyed your post and it's included link to the info. Good job on going the extra (virtual) mile. :)

Huh. *NM*

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 17:15 (3957 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Ditto

Huh.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 17:19 (3957 days ago) @ Xenos

Ditto

I'm sure both sides say that at times, though I presume for the other side its the long hours combined with the lack of sleep. (To be simplistic)

by SonofMacPhisto @, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 16:27 (3957 days ago) @ Jillybean

Meh. Still holding out for PC Destiny.

by Avateur @, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 18:48 (3957 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

For real. You and me both dude. That'd put an end to all of this, especially if there was somehow a way to play from PC with people on the Xbox or Playstation. If Bungie could somehow pull that off, damn, easiest choice on the planet. Might not even need to buy a new console at all (though the PS4 still has me intrigued with some of its games).

by SonofMacPhisto @, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 09:26 (3956 days ago) @ Avateur

For real. You and me both dude. That'd put an end to all of this, especially if there was somehow a way to play from PC with people on the Xbox or Playstation. If Bungie could somehow pull that off, damn, easiest choice on the planet. Might not even need to buy a new console at all (though the PS4 still has me intrigued with some of its games).

I'll be the Trotsky to your Lenin! PC forever! :P

Cross platform play would be really cool, but that's probably just my inner-Legion talking.

I suggest everyone waits for the "Destiny Edition". . .

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 16:41 (3957 days ago) @ Jillybean

. . . since it is Activision who is the publisher and we know they are already working on piling on the merchandising, It would be a fare bet to expect to see at least one of the consoles made into an Edition.

Score one for consumer rights.

by ShadowOfTheVoid ⌂, South Carolina, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 18:06 (3957 days ago) @ Jillybean
edited by ShadowOfTheVoid, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 18:18

First-sale Doctrine respected! Don't have to ask "permission" on a regular basis to be "allowed" to use your own property! I'm glad MS decided to do the right thing. I will get an XBO now, but I will always remember what they tried to do, and I will always remain vigilant. My doing business with them is contingent on the strength of their products and the strength of their customer service, and I have no qualms in dropping them should they try pulling a similar stunt in the future. I was willing to give up Halo and every other exclusive Xbox IP if it meant not putting money towards an anti-consumer business model, and I'll always be willing to do so in the future.

Still getting a PS4 first. It's $100 cheaper, which is good for me since I have several Wii U games I'll be getting. Also, the PS4 launch window exclusives are marginally more interesting to me. I'd rather play Killzone 4 than Ryse or DR3, and Forza 5 and Driveclub seem about the same. Also, by waiting a few months I'll see if MS keeps their word and doesn't try any funny business. You never know.

by kapowaz, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 23:52 (3957 days ago) @ ShadowOfTheVoid

First-sale Doctrine respected! Don't have to ask "permission" on a regular basis to be "allowed" to use your own property!

This attitude is infuriating. It's shallow, shortsighted and inaccurate. I think Jason Chen hit the nail on the head here: The Internet Just Made Microsoft Kill a Car for a Faster Horse.

Also, all we've done here is kicked the can further down the road. Eventually the concept of buying games on physical media is going to seem terribly archaic; with Steam and the App Store, the future of buying games is through account-bound licenses. The physical media they might come on are irrelevant. One day, consoles won't use physical media, and we'll have to deal with (i.e. accept) the realities of a future, but take that hand in hand with the benefits (no disc swapping! day one releases without pre-orders or having to wait for a home delivery! play any game you own anywhere!)

Really what this whole story shows me most is that a (relatively) small number of very entitled people can make a lot of noise about something really not that significant/important in the grand scheme of things, and actually get results. Shame we can't change anything that actually matters.

I disagree.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 00:30 (3957 days ago) @ kapowaz
edited by Ragashingo, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 00:38

Really what this whole story shows me most is that a (relatively) small number of very entitled people can make a lot of noise about something really not that significant/important in the grand scheme of things, and actually get results. Shame we can't change anything that actually matters.

I disagree. Yes, The Internet was short sighted, yes the future was pushed back by a few years, but I don't think The Internet is to blame here. I think the responsibility lies almost totally with Microsoft.

Microsoft had the chance, maybe even a good chance, to usher in this new era of the "fully internet enabled console" but fumbled so badly that they were on their way to losing this generation of the console wars before it even began. If Microsoft hadn't been so damn incompetent they might have actually gotten it done. They were actually offering a good number of benefits far above and beyond what we have today with the 360, but they completely failed to sell it. Instead of an energetic, optimistic view of the Xbone's ability to make gaming easier and better we got months of rumors before the Xbone was even unveiled, followed by a stupidly secretive console reveal (that also focused oddly on TV….), followed by a couple weeks of executives and media guys seeing who could better contradict each other, followed by project leaders saying ridiculous things at E3 like "…buy a 360 if you need to play offline…", followed by what seemed to be a complete lack of empathy or planning for people who needed a non-internet connected console like people in the military, all of which lead to The Internet's fury, Sony's smart E3 announcement, and the Xbone becoming the Xbone 180.

I think maybe Microsoft was afraid of the response to the "radical" new system they had come up with. They thought it was a good idea. They were sure it was the way forward. But They weren't sure enough to commit to it fully. So instead of sending a strong message they tried to hide their message for as long as possible. It's like they thought if they delayed in telling us how the Xbone would work for long enough it would be on store shelves getting purchased and people would love it and everything would be ok. Funnily enough that may have actually worked better than what they did. If they'd just pulled an Apple and kept their mouths shut and launched and sold the console on the same day I bet it would have been a success. There would have been some grumbling and confusion about selling games and so on, but people would also have had a bunch of new features they never had before.

In the end Microsoft blew it by having one of the weakest PR messages in recent memory. The Internet was not to blame for Microsoft's 180, it was just doing its normal thing of mocking and tearing down a failure.

I disagree.

by kapowaz, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 02:01 (3957 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I disagree. Yes, The Internet was short sighted, yes the future was pushed back by a few years, but I don't think The Internet is to blame here. I think the responsibility lies almost totally with Microsoft.

You disagree, and yet these aren't mutually exclusive. Microsoft most definitely did make a hash of things. But equally I suspect the fickle gaming market would have stopped grumbling and moved on within a few months of launch. Much like every gamer-led protest movement, they're ultimately hamstrung by a desire to play the games. See also: Sim City, Diablo III, Modern Warfare 2 etc. etc.

I disagree.

by biggy ⌂ @, Tinseltown, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 04:10 (3956 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Microsoft had the chance, maybe even a good chance, to usher in this new era of the "fully internet enabled console" but fumbled so badly that they were on their way to losing this generation of the console wars before it even began.

Look at games like Destiny and Titanfall. They require you to be connected at all times. Xbox One is still going to need an internet connection 99.9% of the time to function properly even if you have the option to unplug it for more than 24 hours.

I agree there.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, June 20, 2013, 07:50 (3956 days ago) @ Ragashingo

There were quite a lot of great features that required the DMR (maybe not as harsh as it was, but whatever) that MS completely failed to sell.

I'm disappointed.

DMR?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 08:14 (3956 days ago) @ ZackDark

They were going to give out a DMR with each Xbone?!? GOOD JOB INTERNET! :(

Haha, sorry.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, June 20, 2013, 08:16 (3956 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

DMR?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 09:04 (3956 days ago) @ Xenos

Yeah. I have to work from getting them mixed up too. :)

+1

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 07:55 (3956 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 01:01 (3957 days ago) @ kapowaz

This attitude is infuriating. It's shallow, shortsighted and inaccurate. I think Jason Chen hit the nail on the head here: The Internet Just Made Microsoft Kill a Car for a Faster Horse.

How exactly is a disc-based system that behaves exactly like a digital distribution system but with weirdly added physical media a "car", and how does eliminating this system destroy the future of digital distribution?

Was the weird disc system meant as a means of easing more people toward digital distribution, in the hopes of turning it over entirely in the future to institute a Steam-like model and cut out the retailers?

Microsoft was very close to doing something that made sense, but the ways in which they were off were pretty meh. Plenty of what they wanted to do with it doesn't even have any reason to require an always-online system.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 09:58 (3956 days ago) @ kapowaz

First-sale Doctrine respected! Don't have to ask "permission" on a regular basis to be "allowed" to use your own property!

.... but, but, but horses are way cooler than cars...

Also, all we've done here is kicked the can further down the road. Eventually the concept of buying games on physical media is going to seem terribly archaic; with Steam and the App Store, the future of buying games is through account-bound licenses. The physical media they might come on are irrelevant. One day, consoles won't use physical media, and we'll have to deal with (i.e. accept) the realities of a future, but take that hand in hand with the benefits (no disc swapping! day one releases without pre-orders or having to wait for a home delivery! play any game you own anywhere!)

... Heh, as long as you have internet, a Live subscription, and the permission of Microsoft, who hopefully still has their servers running for the device, at least in this particular situation. :)

With a disc I can play the game anywhere too, and to me, MORE anywhere, as I can do it without internet restrictions or account subscriptions, as long as I bring a little disc with me. And without discs, you also don't get a neat manual you can read in the bathroom. You also lose artwork and packaging that you can put up on the shelf and build a pretty library with. With a disc, I don't have to worry about internet going down, company's servers going offline, or anything. I can just plop a disc in to any system I can and play it, alone or at a friends. And if I want to lend it to my friend, I can just leave it there. That sounds more convenient, flexible, and moral to me than tying my property directly to a corporation and their permission with digital downloads and DRM.

(Also, waiting for Halo 2 to be delivered is still a lovely memory - I was so excited! So home deliveries or going to a store is an exciting, fun experience - not something I'm interested in streamlining.)

Just because it's newer or 'higher tech' doesn't mean it's more convenient for everyone, and just because we can do it doesn't mean we should do it. And even if it IS more convenient - it was already ridiculously convenient in the first place, hah. We're making lazy things lazier and eliminating the need for actual in-person human interaction. I think the future of gaming should focus on making the actual games better instead.

They should just offer both models for different prices or something. Higher Live fee with cheaper, instantly-downloadable games with all those benefits you want; and a cheaper Live (or no Live), with more expensive physical copies with all the benefits I want.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 10:32 (3956 days ago) @ Leviathan

*slow clap*

Dead on, man. Cars suck, metaphorically speaking.

"Horses are way cooler than cars"

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 10:58 (3956 days ago) @ Leviathan

.... but, but, but horses are way cooler than cars...

Other than now (Heh). . . Can I quote you on that?

[image]

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 10:59 (3956 days ago) @ Leviathan

Just because it's newer or 'higher tech' doesn't mean it's more convenient for everyone, and just because we can do it doesn't mean we should do it.

I think the Aperture Science model is the best. They do what they must because they can. :)

I do like the idea that has been floated around that Microsoft can slowly reimplement these features over time. There was a time the 360 couldn't install games or do roaming internet profiles or any of that stuff. Maybe there's still hope for the 180 more advanced features.

by ShadowOfTheVoid ⌂, South Carolina, Friday, June 21, 2013, 12:55 (3955 days ago) @ kapowaz

Yes, yes. I know. We're all horrible Luddites for standing up for consumer rights, which as we all know stands in the way of Progress™. If only we primitive dinosaurs would abandon our archaic caveman technology — because discs and dead tree books are only a step removed from stone tools —, then we'd see a new Golden Age. In all seriousness, though, I have serious skepticism about the notion of an all-digital future. To me it's as likely as flying cars and virtual reality being the norms. I've been meaning to write a huge article about this for the last couple of years, but have never gotten around to it, but it's a subject that requires far more time and effort to discuss in a thread mainly about the XBO. Needless to say, I don't think we'll be seeing an all-digital future in our lifetimes, mainly due to, among other things, the facts that neither the infrastructure nor the demand is there. I personally don't really do the whole digital downloads thing. I do not own an MP3 player or an e-reader or even a smartphone, and I don't game on the PC (which of course entails I don't have a Steam account). I'm sure you probably enjoy some or all those things, but I refuse to adopt those technologies. Aside from the occasional Virtual Console or XBLA purchase (which are typically tiny files by today's standards that don't warrant a disc), I still buy all my media in physical form: CDs, Blu-rays, and good old paper & ink books. I know a lot of people have for the past decade-plus been gleefully trading away quaint notions like ownership and control in exchange for a bit more convenience, but I'm not one of them. If the future is "all digital," well, it's a future I want no part of.

Now, if people want digital, then go for it. They have that option. But I'd also like the option to do things the old way by buying physical, because I find it to be better and I like to actually own what I buy. When iTunes came out, CDs didn't just disappear. The advent of Netflix didn't cause Blu-rays and DVDs to just evaporate into the ether. The Kindle didn't cause the printing presses to automatically shut down. There's room for both digital and physical, and there's no reason that consoles absolutely have to become strictly "Steam boxes."

Some might say, "But MS needed draconian DRM and online requirements to usher in the Future of Gaming." Oh, if only I could be so trusting. I don't think for one minute that their main reason was to bring about new advances in gaming or anything noble like that. It was about used games more than anything else. Several people and publishers in the game industry have been making a (completely baseless) stink about used games for the last few years. It's essentially a repeat of the late 80s when Nintendo of America was swearing up and down that game rentals were going to be the death of the industry, and they fought Blockbuster tooth and nail to eliminate rentals (they failed, of course). "Big Entertainment" has rarely had our best interests in mind. From attempts to block VCRs from the market in the early 80s to the push for laws like SOPA and PIPA today, they have continually sought nothing short of copyright being an absolute and perpetual property right. They want a world where the publishers control everything now and forever, lock, stock, and barrel, where possession is no longer nine-tenths of the law because we are no longer buying "products" but rather paying for "services." They have shown time and time again that they have no use for things like Fair Use provisions, the public domain, and the First-sale Doctrine.

So yeah, I have every reason to be suspicious of "Big Entertainment," including the game industry. And I sure as hell don't think for one minute that going the "Steam box" route would suddenly lower prices. Consoles are closed platforms. When we buy digital games on an Xbox console, we can only buy from Microsoft's store, with MS's DRM rules being the standard and the console itself being a fixed piece of hardware. PC, however, is an open platform, and Steam has competition from Good Old Games, Green Man Gaming, and various other digital storefronts, all with widely varying DRM schemes (from strict to none), not to mention you have mods and you can customize your PC to your heart's content. So yeah, I'm skeptical that a digital-only console would benefit us in any way. It would just be another means of exerting greater hegemony. They gain absolute control, we get jack squat in exchange (except maybe the illusion of greater convenience).

But regardless of whether MS's intentions were pure or not, I refused to support a system that did not respect the right to lend, sell, or give away my property in accordance with the First-sale Doctrine (and don't try to hand me that "you only bought a license" bullshit). I refused to support a system that required me to ask their permission every 24 hours to be allowed to use my own property, as if I was a child with limited TV privileges an MS were the parents I had to beg to be able to watch my favorite cartoon. Not only should "permission" and "allow" never be part of the equation, but there's also the question of whether I'd still be able to play my XBO games 15 or 20 years down the road (those servers likely won't be around forever). If I spend $500 on a system and $60 a pop for a game, then I had goddamn better well be able to use those things whenever and wherever I want, internet access be damned. No other console in history imposed such arbitrary and unnecessary restrictions, and there's absolutely no reason to impose them now. To quote Half-Jaw from Halo 2, "This is unprecedented... unacceptable." I'm used to doing things a certain way, and I'm not about to change. For 30 years, from the Intellivision to the Xbox 360, I've enjoyed the benefits of the First-sale Doctrine, and I've never had to ask the console manufacturer permission to play my games. I paid for the system and the games, and that was that. Had MS's prior policies stood, the XBO would have fundamentally changed the business-customer dynamic as it relates to console gaming, and I was not going to be part of that. No fucking way, no fucking how.

There's no reason that they had to attempt to implement system-wide DRM to physical games. There's no reason they had to mandate an internet connection. The PS4 is capable of cloud computing and all sorts of other fancy next-gen stuff too, but it did so without having to fundamentally change a 35+ year status quo (and besides, "the cloud" might not be all it's cracked up to be). Hell, even the all-digital Steam has an offline mode; you don't have to connect to Valve's servers on a periodic basis for permission to play your games. There was nothing preventing them from offering a robust digital marketplace while still maintaining basic expectations people have had for nearly four decades in regards to a console (e.g., lending, trading, reselling, gifting, & renting games, being able to play offline indefinitely if one so chooses).

And what are we losing from this policy shift, really? "Family sharing" and part of the "digital library" thing. In regards to sharing, that whole thing always sounded too good to be true, and therefore it likely was. Given all the bitching about used games, you really think publishers would allow one person to share a game with up to ten others with no restrictions? If anyone thought that would have been the case, well, I also have some ocean-side property in Nebraska for sale. That story from yesterday about the family sharing being a glorified demo system may have simply been a rumor, but it's damn plausible. As for the whole digital library thing, Marc Whitten said "Now, of course, your physical games won’t show up that way. The content you bought digitally will. But you’ll have to bring your discs with you to have your games with you." So, it still applies to digital downloads, just not to discs. And really, is losing that functionality for disc-based games such a big deal? Is it really that big of an inconvenience to have to bring the actual physical copy with you when you go over to a friend's house for a Halo 5 LAN or whatever? So, we're losing a couple of minor conveniences, but in exchange we're gaining so much more. We retain our First-sale Doctrine rights, we retain the freedom to play offline indefinitely if we so choose (especially good for people with bad or no connection), which also means that there's no possibility that our XBO will one day be unable to play our games, and finally there's the fact that we're getting a region-free Xbox.

All in all, I'd say MS's policy reversal is a net gain for the vast majority of people. I for one am no longer going to boycott the XBO, and will likely get one when Halo 5 comes out (still getting a PS4 first; the lower price is important given that this will be an expensive holiday season and there's several big Wii U games coming, plus I'm more interested in Sony's exclusives). However, I will hold them to this, and I will drop them in a heartbeat if their policies ever again conflict with my interests as a consumer. There will always be a trust issue, and I'll be keeping my eye on them (another reason why I'm still going to wait a while to get an XBO). My doing business with a company is contingent on the quality of their product and their service. I rarely do "brand loyalty" (only Nintendo has that from me, but they've earned it with a rock-solid 25-year-long track record), so I have no qualms with ditching MS, even if it means missing out on series like Halo. Game companies need to remember that one antagonizes their customers at their own peril.

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Friday, June 21, 2013, 13:00 (3955 days ago) @ ShadowOfTheVoid

Yes, yes. I know. We're all horrible Luddites for standing up for consumer rights, which as we all know stands in the way of Progress™. If only we primitive dinosaurs would abandon our archaic caveman technology — because discs and dead tree books are only a step removed from stone tools

If I could have current and next gen games on cartridge, I would do it in a heartbeat. Say what you will about it looking more toylike, n64 carts were nigh indestructable... well more durable than a disc.

by ShadowOfTheVoid ⌂, South Carolina, Friday, June 21, 2013, 13:36 (3955 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

If I could have current and next gen games on cartridge, I would do it in a heartbeat. Say what you will about it looking more toylike, n64 carts were nigh indestructable... well more durable than a disc.

And they have no load times. And they're harder to pirate. And their data capacity has finally caught up with discs (3DS carts can hold up to 8 GB, comparable to a dual-layer DVD). The only thing standing in their way is what stood in their way back in the 90s: manufacturing costs. N64 carts cost in excess of $10 to manufacture, whereas optical disks cost maybe a buck at most. Those manufacturing costs are, unlike development costs, included in the price of the game, which is why N64 games typically retailed between $60 to $70 while PS1 games typically retailed between $40 to $50. Even though inflation-adjusted game prices are now at an all-time low, lots of gamers still think $60 is "too much," so I think the reaction to console games jumping to $70 or even $80 would be similar to the reaction to the XBO having used game DRM and online requirements. Also, there really isn't a standard for ROM carts, whereas DVDs and Blu-rays are standards, which could have unforeseen impacts on cross-platform development. Carts will likely remain the standard for portable systems, but I doubt we'll ever see them again for home consoles.

Its been very interesting reading the reactions online . . .

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 18:25 (3957 days ago) @ Jillybean

In one overall camp there is the expected joy of Xbox changing its "Anti-Consumer" policies that limited where they could use the Xbox One (Regional restrictions - can't play outside format), when they could do that (Online Requirement - can't play if offline), and due to the aforementioned requirements "who" (VIA Personal Conditions - Armed Forces) could use the Xbox One.

Then there is the second group that are saddened that innovation/risk taking is be squashed with familiarity. Who was looking forward to trying a new system, and the advantages it offered.

I for one am glad Microsoft did what they did, but am saddened they had to gut their ideas to do it. I do not mean this as a double standard - if they had gone about this in a far different way they might have been able to make what worked for last gen part of what they wanted to work this coming gen. Example: If I am online I don't need a disk and can play it wherever I log in to my account, If I am offline a disk is required. The best of both worlds.

I suppose that makes too much sense - so I digress, C'est la vie. No doubt the biggest problem is the bad apples that would try to game the system to get a bunch of free games. Fear is what started all this mess, and now it is finish- (Ha!) -ing it.

by biggy ⌂ @, Tinseltown, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 22:27 (3957 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I don't understand why anyone is against MS' new policies. Everyone is saying it's going to kill the sharing plan, kill cloud and take away money from developers. Why can't MS still have a sharing plan for DIGITAL purchases? Why can't MS require that you be connected if the game uses cloud computing?

This shouldn't really change anything except that consumers now have options. Maybe the industry should put pressure on retailers and THEIR resale policies.

Here's a wonderful quote from Jason Schreier (Kotaku writer)

Kyle, you're arguing that people should have taken a stick with no promise of a carrot in the future. Did Microsoft ever say anything about making games cheaper as a result of these policies? Anywhere? There is no reason for anyone to have just accepted this DRM in exchange for the hope that maaaaaaaybe Microsoft will build a Steam-like infrastructure eventually, especially since Microsoft has shown no indication that they'd even consider doing so.

Microsoft could sell digital copies of games right now for cheaper than physical copies, and instantly solve the "used game problem," but they won't, because they can't, because their retail partners won't let them. That's why digital copies of games on PS3 and Xbox 360 are $60. If they're cheaper, Walmart and Target will get mad. What makes you think that would suddenly change in this fantasy world where Microsoft wins and used games go away and everything is cheap and EVERYONE WINS?

by kapowaz, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 23:57 (3957 days ago) @ biggy

This shouldn't really change anything except that consumers now have options. Maybe the industry should put pressure on retailers and THEIR resale policies.

How, exactly? They've already tried things like moving game content to DLC or using ‘online passes’ (both of which gamers have been vociferous in their objections towards). Tying licenses to individual gamer accounts was designed to do precisely this, and this reversal ensures that game retailers will have exactly the same power to push used games over new as they did in the last generation. I feel like a lot of gamers have chosen short-termism over the bigger picture of ensuring that the game industry stays healthy.

by biggy ⌂ @, Tinseltown, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 00:17 (3957 days ago) @ kapowaz

How, exactly? They've already tried things like moving game content to DLC or using ‘online passes’ (both of which gamers have been vociferous in their objections towards). Tying licenses to individual gamer accounts was designed to do precisely this, and this reversal ensures that game retailers will have exactly the same power to push used games over new as they did in the last generation. I feel like a lot of gamers have chosen short-termism over the bigger picture of ensuring that the game industry stays healthy.

I don't consider online passes or "DLC" trying - these things certainly don't put pressure on retailers, just consumers wallets.

I don't like what retailers are doing, but punishing the consumer because companies can't get their act together is something I don't agree with.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I believe that this no DRM thing only affects disc based games. Digital is still locked to the buyers account. I'm saying that you keep digital games tied to the buyers account but that MS and Sony should provide incentives (like selling digital copies at a lower price) so that consumers don't feel the need to buy used games to save $10.

by kapowaz, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 00:29 (3957 days ago) @ biggy

I don't consider online passes or "DLC" trying - these things certainly don't put pressure on retailers, just consumers wallets.

I don't like what retailers are doing, but punishing the consumer because companies can't get their act together is something I don't agree with.

Well, they do both; by forcing the game to be shipped in a somewhat neutered state (or by including single-use access codes in the box) they do reduce the resale value of the game, and so this can have an impact on retailers. Obviously selling the game at full price in addition to neutering the game is a rather shitty state of affairs for gamers, though.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I believe that this no DRM thing only affects disc based games. Digital is still locked to the buyers account. I'm saying that you keep digital games tied to the buyers account but that MS and Sony should provide incentives (like selling digital copies at a lower price) so that consumers don't feel the need to buy used games to save $10.

I certainly agree there — the price of games is too high, and once cheaper alternatives (GOG, Steam sales, Humble Bundle etc.) are made available, gamers flock to them. I would go so far as to say that the whole issue of second-hand sales will go away once games are more reasonably priced. I'm fairly certain that one of the leading reasons why people trade in games is to make gaming a cheaper pastime.

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 09:44 (3956 days ago) @ kapowaz

I'm fairly certain that one of the leading reasons why people trade in games is to make gaming a cheaper pastime.

This is true, for myself at least. Kinda tough when you have to hand over $60 bucks for a game, and there are 5 games that you currently want to play. Adds up quick. Is it right/wrong? I don't know. Up until this whole debacle, I wasn't very aware of the fact that the purchasing of used games doesn't support the developers. Now that I am, I will make the effort to buy new, whether through Amazon or sales; but the prices still hurt my wallet :( If only downloadable games were cheaper. Amazon does it with books. Why can't MS and Sony do it with games?

by kapowaz, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 09:58 (3956 days ago) @ Mr Daax

If only downloadable games were cheaper. … Why can't MS and Sony do it with games?

Maybe that was the plan, and this change of plans with the Xbox One has just killed off any chance of finding out?

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 10:11 (3956 days ago) @ kapowaz

If only downloadable games were cheaper. … Why can't MS and Sony do it with games?

Maybe that was the plan, and this change of plans with the Xbox One has just killed off any chance of finding out?

Then why not tell us that in the first place?

by Kalamari @, Waiting for Ghorn, FB, and BH, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 18:00 (3956 days ago) @ kapowaz

It's still possible.

I think a much smarter strategy would have been for MS to slowly introduce downloadable games during XBone's lifespan rather than shove DRM down everyone's throats with the console release. I expect to see direct downloadable games for both consoles sooner or later. As far as pricing is concerned, I would be surprised if they price as well as Steam does.

Dorkly said it best.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 08:08 (3956 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

If you didn't already know this has profanity in it - now you know.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don Mattrick's First Draft of the Xbox One Update Announcement
[image]

I think this sums up the thoughts of those who were saddened by this change rather will. I posted it here since Dorklys site might not be the best place to view from where ever "work" is.

+1 (minus the gratuitous insulting)

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, June 20, 2013, 08:16 (3956 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

What's reallly funny is people actually believe this.

by NsU Soldier @, Washington, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 08:39 (3956 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

Well at least part of it was true...

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 09:02 (3956 days ago) @ NsU Soldier

From what I've read the majority of people that are upset about this change are upset because the family sharing plan and installing from disc is going away. Those are both legitimate reasons to be upset since those were confirmed features of the Xbox One. In a lot of ways I agree and think that us caring about used games and physical sharing is taking a step back progress-wise, but I do think the 24 hour check needed to die.

I think I said it on here before, I think they could still implement at least the sharing part of the old system easily: simply require daily checks every 24 hours if someone is actively using a game they are "borrowing" digitally from another person. Then when the owner requests the game back the other person can no longer use it. Unfortunately too many companies (including Microsoft it seems) are still hesitant about non-physical media.

Dorkly said it best.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 10:06 (3956 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I think this sums up the thoughts of those who were saddened by this change rather will. I posted it here since Dorklys site might not be the best place to view from where ever "work" is.

I really like the idea of more money going to the developers, but not at the cost of the freedoms of ownership. Instead, I just boycott GameStop and their crappy practices and support my local, friendly game store (if I could still - GameStop ran them all out of business) or buy and sell directly to others on eBay. Money is either going to the developer (and I buy new for smaller studios, especially), a local store, or to a previous owner - not corporate middlemen.

Yup

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 10:42 (3956 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I always refer to that postscript for any neckbeards or people worried about Microsoft spying on them. They're like stuck up bitches who relish the thought that every guy spends night and day ogling her. I can understand that they want to be the prettiest girl at the ball, but there's not a single person at Microsoft who would seek payment for such an immoral and disgusting job.

What a load of crap.

by ShadowOfTheVoid ⌂, South Carolina, Friday, June 21, 2013, 13:24 (3955 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I know that was a (IMO poor) attempt at hyperbolic humor, but still, people lamenting the loss of a couple of minor conveniences and saying "Now all we're getting is another Better Graphics Box" need to get some perspective.

The XBO can still do a great many things that the 360 could not do, and there's even a couple of features that it has that the PS4 doesn't have. Even if the XBO doesn't fundamentally change gaming — and let's be honest: the only fundamental change was going to be to the used game/second-hand market, which is what DRM and online requirements were about — that's still not a bad thing. As I pointed out in a post I made on HBO after the PS4 announcement, that's not really anything to be disappointed about. The history of gaming has been one of stepwise evolution. Even the increases in computing power we get every generation are in and of themselves capable of bringing us newer and better things. Even ignoring all this "cloud" business that MS and Sony go on about, I've noticed that many devs are doing things other than simply making prettier graphics. They're actually doing things that affect gameplay, things that simply couldn't be done on prior generations due to hardware limitations. We're getting larger game worlds (you could make a drinking game out of how often "open world" was said at E3), we're seeing large-scale physics-driven features, and we're getting the ability to play larger MP maps with greater amounts of players. It's not simply going to be "seventh-gen gameplay with better graphics." We need not bemoan the lack of revolution, but rather be in awe of the power of evolution. Even though the fundamentals of gaming haven't changed all that much over the last several decades — even things like motion control and networked/online gaming have existed since at least the 80s if not earlier —, gaming itself has evolved substantially in that time, and I have been nothing short of impressed at all the progress that has been made since I first started playing games some 30 years ago. Dismissing each new generation as "just a power upgrade" greatly understates just what those power upgrades are and have been capable of.

Yea! Um...I don't know...

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 20:49 (3957 days ago) @ Jillybean

Exclusive Destiny DLC

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 21:37 (3957 days ago) @ Kermit

If Bungie is able to pull off some incredible technical SPACEMAGIC and unite the Sony and Microsoft online communities (edit: I can hope!), I will gladly go with a PS4 and not feel like I missed out on anything. I can play Destiny with all my friends, DBO and otherwise, regardless of what console we all own. I'd be a happy Daax. As it stands, I feel like I did before E3: uncertain, with a slight lean towards PS4.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 04:04 (3956 days ago) @ Mr Daax

The benefits of the DRM scheme were attractive to me, actually. The Kinect requirement bothered/bothers me more.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 04:20 (3956 days ago) @ Kermit

Besides the privacy issue, I've had two kinects with problems. I would really hate it if I was unable to play Halo because there was a problem with my Kinect.

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 09:28 (3956 days ago) @ Kermit

I wouldn't really care about the new, now old, policies with the XBO if Microsoft had provided them as an optional alternative to what we're currently used to. Personally, I enjoy having and using physical media. Do I download music, books, and games? Yes. But the ones I really like and treasure, I like to have a my own hard copy of them.

And, yeah, that Kinect. That just doesn't sit well with me, no matter how you spin it.

But I don't want to

by irishfreak, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 01:39 (3957 days ago) @ Jillybean

I already had both the xbone and ps4 pre-ordered

Apparently family sharing wasn't really sharing...

by biggy ⌂ @, Tinseltown, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 17:07 (3956 days ago) @ Jillybean

Heartbroken Xbox One employee lets rip. I feel pretty bad for this guy, but what a disaster.

First is family sharing, this feature is near and dear to me and I truly felt it would have helped the industry grow and make both gamers and developers happy. The premise is simple and elegant, when you buy your games for Xbox One, you can set any of them to be part of your shared library. Anyone who you deem to be family had access to these games regardless of where they are in the world. There was never any catch to that, they didn’t have to share the same billing address or physical address it could be anyone. When your family member accesses any of your games, they’re placed into a special demo mode. This demo mode in most cases would be the full game with a 15-45 minute timer and in some cases an hour. This allowed the person to play the game, get familiar with it then make a purchase if they wanted to. When the time limit was up they would automatically be prompted to the Marketplace so that they may order it if liked the game. We were toying around with a limit on the number of times members could access the shared game (as to discourage gamers from simply beating the game by doing multiple playthroughs).

Apparently family sharing wasn't really sharing...

by Kalamari @, Waiting for Ghorn, FB, and BH, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 17:49 (3956 days ago) @ biggy

This doesn't surprise me, it seemed almost too good to be true.

Something else that doesn't surprise me is that MS probably intentionally mislead everyone during E3 regarding this feature. Free games sounds so much better than free trials, so why wouldn't they mislead everyone. This console war is clearly no-holds barred.

I have a feeling this isn't the end of the MS Xbone drama, at least I hope not, because I find it extremely entertaining.

Thank Goodness, I'm about to move

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Friday, June 21, 2013, 08:10 (3955 days ago) @ Jillybean

I'm about to move from the city to the country, so I will have crappy internet until technology catches up. I was not looking forward to having to always check in. The only internet options are satellite and some radio tower thing. My in-laws use the radio tower thing, and get about 4mb/s, but the latency is over 1 second. We do get verizon 4g where we are moving to, so i could probably get away with occasionally tethering to my phone.

I did a test once with Halo: Reach. My tethering app kept track of data usage, and 1 hour of "Invasion" only used up 20-something megabytes.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread