Tenacious Design and the Interface of Destiny (Destiny)

by breitzen @, Kansas, Friday, March 04, 2016, 13:08 (2968 days ago)

David Candland is giving a GDC talk about UI design in Destiny. Check out the preview video below! There's lots of neat stuff in there that "could be placeholder" but was probably content that got cut/pushed back. Let the speculation begin!

<3 David Candland

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Friday, March 04, 2016, 13:38 (2968 days ago) @ breitzen

Not only does he have a great first name (Dave's of the world unite!), but he also does pretty dang great work.

edit: I wonder if he goes by Dave or David amongst friends.

Still ashamed

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, March 04, 2016, 14:02 (2968 days ago) @ breitzen

David Candland is giving a GDC talk about UI design in Destiny. Check out the preview video below! There's lots of neat stuff in there that "could be placeholder" but was probably content that got cut/pushed back. Let the speculation begin!

Of the time I played ODST Firefight with him and he told us about the Compass and my friend and I had never noticed it. He sounded so disappointed.

- "There is a chopper north of us"
* "Which direction is north?"
- "... there is a compass at the top of your HUD..."

I'm really looking forward to this!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, March 04, 2016, 14:39 (2968 days ago) @ breitzen

Thanks for posting.

Might have been an even more traditional RPG...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, March 04, 2016, 15:04 (2968 days ago) @ breitzen

[image]

Most likely just placeholders and UI testing, but this screen caught my eye.

Trading system was apparently more in the style of games like The Witcher (complete with Buyback), possibly even with Cabal NPC.

And look at the top-right of the screen. Might the Grimoire have been considered to be in-game at some point?

Can't wait.

Might have been an even more traditional RPG...

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Friday, March 04, 2016, 15:30 (2967 days ago) @ Korny

Some fun little textual tidbits I saw:

"Osiris congratulations you on recovering the Eye of Grognok, and demands you bring it to him immediately."

"The Mountain Tank
For three hundred years nothing came out of the European Dead Zone..."

Tenacious Design and the Interface of Destiny

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, March 04, 2016, 16:35 (2967 days ago) @ breitzen

What interested me the most out of that video was the solar system view where the planets were textured and filled in with graphics. Some places like Mars had a single dot on them while Earth had several. Perhaps there were a good few more Earth areas than just the Cosmodrome.

Anyway, it's neat to see this kind of stuff as it shows just how many stages and ideas Destiny went through to get to us. I hope they publish the video of the talk someday. :)

Tower on the moon?

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Friday, March 04, 2016, 17:14 (2967 days ago) @ breitzen

Did I just see what I think I saw?

The first thing I noticed when I got Destiny

by Funkmon @, Friday, March 04, 2016, 17:48 (2967 days ago) @ breitzen

Was the UI. I was flabbergasted. I couldn't believe the UI. It was so good! And you could use it while loading! WAT.

I couldn't really care less about what was dropped. I just want to know everything about the current game UI and what went into it.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Friday, March 04, 2016, 17:56 (2967 days ago) @ Funkmon

And you could use it while loading! WAT.

...like in Halo 3/ODST/Reach?

by marmot 1333 @, Friday, March 04, 2016, 18:06 (2967 days ago) @ CyberKN

Maybe he means using the character/roster/etc screen while you're in transit to a destination, which is something that you couldn't do in those games, right?

Yes.

by Funkmon @, Friday, March 04, 2016, 18:09 (2967 days ago) @ marmot 1333

- No text -

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, March 04, 2016, 19:13 (2967 days ago) @ marmot 1333

Maybe he means using the character/roster/etc screen while you're in transit to a destination, which is something that you couldn't do in those games, right?

It was difficult to do this in the initial release of Destiny, if you remember. It kicked you back into the travel/loading screen each time it transitioned to a new animation. I was so happy when they fixed this.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Friday, March 04, 2016, 19:16 (2967 days ago) @ marmot 1333

In preface, Halo obviously doesn't have the same sort of inventory systems Destiny does, so comparisons drawn during this argument are already diluted by that fact.

But outside of that difference, you could absolutely could do those things, yes.

In Halo, The lobby served the same purpose as the "in transit" screen Destiny has. Before entering a match, the map loading and matchmaking happened there, and you had complete freedom to edit your appearance or change your settings while that stuff was happening, the same way you could in Destiny.

by Funkmon @, Friday, March 04, 2016, 19:26 (2967 days ago) @ CyberKN

In preface, Halo obviously doesn't have the same sort of inventory systems Destiny does, so comparisons drawn during this argument are already diluted by that fact.

Right.

Destiny also gives full access to every element of game settings during loading screens. The other games just loaded stuff while you were on a screen. If you couldn't do it on that screen, you couldn't do it. In Destiny, you can do it all the time anywhere. That's the point.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Friday, March 04, 2016, 19:30 (2967 days ago) @ Funkmon

Right.

Destiny also gives full access to every element of game settings during loading screens. The other games just loaded stuff while you were on a screen. If you couldn't do it on that screen, you couldn't do it. In Destiny, you can do it all the time anywhere. That's the point.

I'm having difficulty parsing what you've written here- Do you have an example of something Destiny allows that Halo 3 didn't?

Changing player colors, look inversion, music settings.

by Funkmon @, Friday, March 04, 2016, 19:31 (2967 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

...All of which you could do in Halo 3 during loading/MM

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Friday, March 04, 2016, 19:32 (2967 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

I'll go check right now.

by Funkmon @, Friday, March 04, 2016, 19:33 (2967 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Friday, March 04, 2016, 19:35 (2967 days ago) @ CyberKN

Right.

I'm having difficulty parsing what you've written here- Do you have an example of something Destiny allows that Halo 3 didn't?

I'm not exactly sure what Funkmon is saying, but from my point of view and growing up watching little bars fill up atop a static image, it's impressive that we can do anything (like messing with our Destiny inventory) during a loading screen. Halo had neat animated loads, but you couldn't customize your Spartan during them for example. :)

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Friday, March 04, 2016, 19:42 (2967 days ago) @ Leviathan

Right.

I'm not exactly sure what Funkmon is saying, but from my point of view and growing up watching little bars fill up atop a static image, it's impressive that we can do anything (like messing with our Destiny inventory) during a loading screen. Halo had neat animated loads, but you couldn't customize your Spartan during them for example. :)

IIRC, the only "neat animated loads" Halo 3 had was that one that would occasionally appear between missions, or when you were hitting "Resume Solo game" at the main menu.

Reach was actually worse about this- The "Auntie Dot" animation would occasionally hang my game for 10-20 seconds while transitioning back to the Main Menu.

And on the other side of the fence, I've had plenty of times in Destiny where the the game flatly refuses to acknowledge that I'm pushing the "open menu" button while in transit.

You're right, you can do it in Halo 3, even colors.

by Funkmon @, Friday, March 04, 2016, 19:49 (2967 days ago) @ CyberKN
edited by Funkmon, Friday, March 04, 2016, 20:10

It struck me as a huge leap forward due to the inventory system, which we both agree is substantially different, though maybe not as huge as I thought at the time.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, March 04, 2016, 21:07 (2967 days ago) @ Leviathan

Right.

Back in my day we played Galaga during loading. And if you got a perfect score you unlocked a sweet car!

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Friday, March 04, 2016, 21:09 (2967 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Back in my day we played Galaga during loading. And if you got a perfect score you unlocked a sweet car!

Speaking of which, I believe the patent on that behavior has finally expired. Can we get that implemented now in Destiny with our ships? pew pew during loading!

What game had galaga during loading?

by Funkmon @, Friday, March 04, 2016, 21:43 (2967 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Ridge Racer on PS1

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Friday, March 04, 2016, 22:15 (2967 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

Ridge Racer.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Friday, March 04, 2016, 22:16 (2967 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

I always enjoyed pong on Test Drive for OG Xbox.

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, March 05, 2016, 01:02 (2967 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

+1

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Saturday, March 05, 2016, 19:32 (2966 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I loved how it subtly got more and more difficult, and I was often playing it long after the race was loaded.

+1

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, March 05, 2016, 20:25 (2966 days ago) @ Korny

I loved how it subtly got more and more difficult, and I was often playing it long after the race was loaded.

Heh, I did the same.

That game still stands as one of my all time favorite games, and my second favorite racing game (Star Wars Episode I Racer is the best racing game ever created).

A huge part of that was definitely that it hit at the right time in my life. I was 12 or 13 or so. The "story" and dialogue were cheesy in a great way, the driving was fun, the courses were fun, and the OG Xbox's ability to use custom music all culminated to make for a great experience. Anytime I hear an Eagles song, the first thing that comes to mind is driving a classic Mustang over the Golden Gate Bridge in that game.

That Star Wars racing game was so wizard!

by Funkmon @, Saturday, March 05, 2016, 20:43 (2966 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

by breitzen @, Kansas, Friday, March 04, 2016, 18:22 (2967 days ago) @ Funkmon

Was the UI. I was flabbergasted. I couldn't believe the UI. It was so good! And you could use it while loading! WAT.

Right! Sooooo good! I launched Halo 5 and was like: "ew..." (Admittedly it is a step up from the Card System in Halo 4.)

I couldn't really care less about what was dropped.

There are some really cool hints at what may have been. I find them interesting because they might be clues to what's to come. :)

I just want to know everything about the current game UI and what went into it.

Yes! As a graphic designer I love this stuff. If I had to choose one person to sit down with and talk design theory with it'd be David. Halcylon (John Stvan) would also be right up there.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, March 04, 2016, 19:08 (2967 days ago) @ Funkmon

I couldn't really care less about what was dropped. I just want to know everything about the current game UI and what went into it.

Initially, I thought having a cursor was weird, but it very quickly clicked, and I felt the same way.

This has been posted before, but here is a good review of the UI.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread