Kermit jumping (Fireteam Builder Events)

by Funkmon @, Sunday, March 06, 2016, 09:22 (2966 days ago)
edited by Funkmon, Sunday, March 06, 2016, 09:32

PLEASE! Someone got a clip of that, right? Oh my god, it was the funniest thing in the world. Bumpers are hard!

I've attempted to embed a gifv here.

Still the MVP of our raid.

by ProbablyLast, Sunday, March 06, 2016, 09:37 (2966 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

Easily.

by Funkmon @, Sunday, March 06, 2016, 17:05 (2965 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

I think that's part of it. Kermit being 1337 on sniper for Golgoroth, then coming into deathsingers and literally not being able to double jump is hilarious.

I hate GIFV

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Sunday, March 06, 2016, 17:04 (2965 days ago) @ Funkmon

Can anyone even see that video? For some reason, Imgur is throwing an error and won’t display in an <iframe> anymore.

I can on internet explorer.

by Funkmon @, Sunday, March 06, 2016, 17:07 (2965 days ago) @ Beorn

Edit it with this youtube link for temp fix?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_UejbQ6uI8

I can on internet explorer.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, March 06, 2016, 17:20 (2965 days ago) @ Funkmon

Wow, that was pretty spot on, down to the laugh track.

Thank you, Imgur!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, March 06, 2016, 17:08 (2965 days ago) @ Beorn

Now stay broken!

I figured out a method, BTW. The paddles are more sensitive than the buttons, and obviously I was hitting it three times.

Counting to two solves the problem.

Got it. You're like Bruce Lee and have to slow down to play.

by Funkmon @, Sunday, March 06, 2016, 17:09 (2965 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

Yeah, that's it. LOL!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, March 06, 2016, 17:17 (2965 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

Should have used the Format of the Gods...

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, March 06, 2016, 17:23 (2965 days ago) @ Beorn

- No text -

just remove the "v" when you embed

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Sunday, March 06, 2016, 18:17 (2965 days ago) @ Beorn

just embed "image.gif" instead of "image.gifv" and it usually works

But then file size bloats up

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, March 06, 2016, 18:27 (2965 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

For a while we had GIFV working embedded, but something happened with the way Imgur links it.

Nope.

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Sunday, March 06, 2016, 20:32 (2965 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

just embed "image.gif" instead of "image.gifv" and it usually works

We are not embedding huge-ass animated GIFs. That way lies insanity.

Also, like ZackDark said, the <ifame> embedding was working for a while, but Imgur changed something.

Jumping Event how posted

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, March 06, 2016, 17:29 (2965 days ago) @ Funkmon

This made me laugh so damn hard :D

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, March 07, 2016, 00:21 (2965 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

Practiced w/ Kermit tonight.

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Monday, March 07, 2016, 00:35 (2965 days ago) @ Funkmon

Apparently that didn't help much. He just kept falling through the platforms :)

A caveat and a thanks!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, March 07, 2016, 14:14 (2965 days ago) @ unoudid

Let the record show that was no one, much less me, can jump on the platforms unless they're torn. I probably used to know this, but forgot in the hopes that there was a "safe space" where we could practice.

During an actual run later with Prof Ozy, I was given the opportunity to practice being the runner, and did okay (not that I didn't screw up, but I didn't screw up every time). I'm more comfortable and now feel like I won't break out into a cold sweat when I find myself torn.

By the way, thanks to everyone who helped with Prof Ozy's first run! He enjoyed it, and I thought it went well. There was a fair amount of failure, but not too much. I think if you get totally carried with no missteps you haven't had the full raid experience, so it's all good.

Kermit

A caveat and a thanks!

by Kuga, Monday, March 07, 2016, 14:58 (2965 days ago) @ Kermit

We also found out last night that if you die jumping down from Oryx's relic someone else can pick it up from where you splatter. #Winning

A caveat and a thanks!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, March 07, 2016, 15:27 (2965 days ago) @ Kuga

We also found out last night that if you die jumping down from Oryx's relic someone else can pick it up from where you splatter. #Winning

I was going to feather that landing, but I would have hit the ship, hence splat.

A caveat and a thanks!

by Kuga, Monday, March 07, 2016, 16:50 (2964 days ago) @ Kermit

Worked out fine. I had no idea it would survive that tbh.

A caveat and a thanks!

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, March 07, 2016, 15:14 (2965 days ago) @ Kermit

Let the record show that was no one, much less me, can jump on the platforms unless they're torn. I probably used to know this, but forgot in the hopes that there was a "safe space" where we could practice.

Oh you and your "safe spaces". ;)

During an actual run later with Prof Ozy, I was given the opportunity to practice being the runner, and did okay (not that I didn't screw up, but I didn't screw up every time). I'm more comfortable and now feel like I won't break out into a cold sweat when I find myself torn.

My best advice is to learn to love jump-canceling/feathering. When running the Aura, use the following combo:

Sprint > Double Jump > L2 > Sprint the second you make contact with the ground > Repeat.

It will look like this:

By the way, thanks to everyone who helped with Prof Ozy's first run! He enjoyed it, and I thought it went well. There was a fair amount of failure, but not too much. I think if you get totally carried with no missteps you haven't had the full raid experience, so it's all good.

Kermit

Sounds like he's ready for a Flawless run!

A caveat and a thanks!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, March 07, 2016, 16:38 (2965 days ago) @ Korny
edited by Kermit, Monday, March 07, 2016, 17:09

Yeah, I know. ;) Creating "safe spaces" from the darkness are what the guardians are all about, right?

My best advice is to learn to love jump-canceling/feathering. When running the Aura, use the following combo:

Sprint > Double Jump > L2 > Sprint the second you make contact with the ground > Repeat.

So wait, what does L2 do? If you've got Angel of Light enabled, you float, but otherwise does it cancel your jump? I've never used it that way. What subclass/perks do you recommend for the warlock? I've heard it's hardest with the Hunter and last night I was a hunter with triple jump and Bones of Eao.

It will look like this:

Thanks for the vid. The refinement I made last night was with the camera. I realized I was looking slightly up to the next orb and not looking at my feet, which caused me to miss the platform. Sounds obvious but turning the camera slightly down so that I could see where I was landing was a big help.

In contrast to me, my buddy Zans was a natural at running the platforms the first time, which I find interesting in terms how our real life capabilities affect our virtual abilities. He's an accomplished tap dancer. I am decidedly not that.

A caveat and a thanks!

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, March 07, 2016, 17:17 (2964 days ago) @ Kermit

Yeah, I know. ;) Creating "safe spaces" from the darkness are what the guardians are all about, right?

So wait, what does L2 do? If you've got Angel of Light enabled, you float, but otherwise does it cancel your jump? I've never used it that way. What subclass/perks do you recommend for the warlock? I've heard it's hardest with the Hunter and last night I was a hunter with triple jump and Bones of Eao.

Tapping it lightly cuts off the jump. It helps to ensure that tapping the jump button (X/A) is only used to activate a jump rather than cancelling it, which makes feathering easier.
All of the Warlock jumps are more or less identical, just make sure to have Focused Burst on. Double-tapping it as fast as possible equals farther and faster horizontal travel, which is what you want when making platform jumps.

I find that using Increased Height as a Hunter is easier to navigate with in general than Triple Jump; undershoot the first jump, then hold the jump until you're just clearing the platform. Less airtime equals faster jumps.

It will look like this:

Thanks for the vid. The refinement I made last night was with the camera. I realized I was looking slightly up to the next orb and not looking at my feet, which caused me to miss the platform. Sounds obvious but turning the camera slightly down so that I could see where I was landing was a big help.

Ah yeah. Watching videos of my gameplay, I often wonder why I do things. I found that I have a habit of looking up and to the left, because I do that IRL to check out the radar, then I have to readjust my camera back down to level it. It's weird how we can improve our gameplay just by realizing what we do subconsciously. On the flip side, it sometimes look like I spaz momentarily when I'm ADS in Crucible, but it's because I check the radar in quick glimpses rather than locating enemies first and then aiming. Hooray for playstyles!

A caveat and a thanks!

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, March 07, 2016, 22:04 (2964 days ago) @ Korny

Tapping it lightly cuts off the jump. It helps to ensure that tapping the jump button (X/A) is only used to activate a jump rather than cancelling it, which makes feathering easier.

Oh. I should probably begin to do that too. All too often my thumb gets stuck in a tapping loop and I cancel too early...

A caveat and a thanks!

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, March 07, 2016, 22:22 (2964 days ago) @ ZackDark

Oh. I should probably begin to do that too. All too often my thumb gets stuck in a tapping loop and I cancel too early...

Note that this doesn't work while your Stormcaller or Sunbreaker's Super is active, but it's otherwise also useful for Titans.

Hunter jumping the platforms...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, March 10, 2016, 14:23 (2962 days ago) @ Korny
edited by Korny, Thursday, March 10, 2016, 14:49

It's somewhat harder with Hunters, since they do have to arc their jumps more than the other two classes, but they're not the worst class to do it with; Titans' floaty jetpacks slow you down quite a bit, leaving you with little time after they grab the relic. Plus, like you said, the Triple jump and/or Bones of EAO make it way more forgiving as a Hunter.

All of the Warlock jumps are more or less identical, just make sure to have Focused Burst on. Double-tapping it as fast as possible equals farther and faster horizontal travel, which is what you want when making platform jumps.

I find that using Increased Height as a Hunter is easier to navigate with in general than Triple Jump; undershoot the first jump, then hold the jump until you're just clearing the platform. Less airtime equals faster jumps.

Made a video of Hunter jumping to elaborate a bit on what I was talking about with Increased Height. If the distance is short, trigger the second jump much sooner rather than waiting until the distance maxes out. If the distance is long, undershoot it, and when you're a meter or so of falling, hold the second jump down. It's easier if you become familiar with how high the Double jump can actually take you at each stage of the jump.

Warlocks seem to be the the best class for the jumping, so it's probably better to practice with them. The floating makes it easier to adjust on the fly, while still having the challenge of precision and speed, especially if you want to get rid of stopping at all on the platforms.

Triple jump with Bones of EAO seems a bit counter-intuitive, I think. You're not really practicing how to get better at jumps if you've got so many training wheels and bumpers attached. Trial by Fire! Use Blink!

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, March 10, 2016, 15:33 (2962 days ago) @ Korny

Triple jump with Bones of EAO seems a bit counter-intuitive, I think. You're not really practicing how to get better at jumps if you've got so many training wheels and bumpers attached. Trial by Fire! Use Blink!

Shut up. I like my training wheels.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, March 10, 2016, 15:38 (2962 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Don't forget the handlebar streamers!

Also known as cape/cloaks for adults

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, March 10, 2016, 15:51 (2962 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

If I could have my dad, running alongside with his hands out, I'd do it.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, March 10, 2016, 16:01 (2962 days ago) @ Claude Errera

If I could have my dad, running alongside with his hands out, I'd do it.

Oryx doesn't do it for you?

legit lol

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, March 10, 2016, 16:36 (2962 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

- No text -

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, March 11, 2016, 19:27 (2960 days ago) @ Korny

I much prefer bones with double jump extra height, so you get three high jumps as opposed to four little ones.

by squidnh3, Saturday, March 12, 2016, 14:52 (2960 days ago) @ Korny

It's somewhat harder with Hunters, since they do have to arc their jumps more than the other two classes, but they're not the worst class to do it with; Titans' floaty jetpacks slow you down quite a bit, leaving you with little time after they grab the relic. Plus, like you said, the Triple jump and/or Bones of EAO make it way more forgiving as a Hunter.

Made a video of Hunter jumping to elaborate a bit on what I was talking about with Increased Height. If the distance is short, trigger the second jump much sooner rather than waiting until the distance maxes out. If the distance is long, undershoot it, and when you're a meter or so of falling, hold the second jump down. It's easier if you become familiar with how high the Double jump can actually take you at each stage of the jump.

Warlocks seem to be the the best class for the jumping, so it's probably better to practice with them. The floating makes it easier to adjust on the fly, while still having the challenge of precision and speed, especially if you want to get rid of stopping at all on the platforms.

I'm the one that told Kermit it was most difficult on Hunters. The first time I did Oryx, I was running as a Hunter (w/o any agility buff boots), so I became pretty familiar with the issues involved. I also use Increased Height, and an important part of that is holding the button down on the second jump to max out the height.

What also makes Hunters the most difficult is that in certain locations you actually have to wait until you are below the platform you are aiming for to jump for the second time. Unfortunately, you were lucky enough in the video to have the relic spawn in a location so as not to have to make the hardest jump, which is the jump between the platforms on either side of the spawn-right pillar. That's the longest gap between platforms, and is a prime stumbling location for a hunter. I know when I was doing the first Oryx runs I was always relieved when he would slam on the right side, since that meant I didn't have to make that jump.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread