Awesome interview with urk

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 10:26 (3934 days ago)

Here ya go!

This would've been an awesome on camera interview! It's good to hear more from ya urk.

by urk, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 10:45 (3934 days ago) @ Mr Daax

Typically you don't get this kind of time to dig in with on cams. They want short and sweet.

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 10:52 (3934 days ago) @ urk

Typically you don't get this kind of time to dig in with on cams. They want short and sweet.

Insightful. Either way, I'm happy with more interviews.

by urk, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 11:08 (3934 days ago) @ Mr Daax

I did about four more long form interviews like this, but I'm not sure when/where they'll pop up. One was for radio, which is perfect for me. ;)

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 11:19 (3934 days ago) @ urk

Very nice! Can't wait to check them out.

Also, what radio station does gaming interviews?

A face for radio?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 11:22 (3934 days ago) @ urk

- No text -

How exactly does one appreciate a good beard over the radio?

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 13:51 (3934 days ago) @ urk

- No text -

The rustling of facial hair against the microphone

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 13:54 (3934 days ago) @ Malagate

- No text -

yes that

by urk, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 14:22 (3934 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

You can hear it rustling against the mic.

by urk, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 14:21 (3934 days ago) @ Malagate

- No text -

Everyone knows that is but a fragment of the experience.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 14:48 (3934 days ago) @ urk

- No text -

Yeah. That was good.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 10:48 (3934 days ago) @ Mr Daax

- No text -

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 11:07 (3934 days ago) @ Mr Daax

Loved this:

we’ll have player missions so they can have new things to do every day. They’ll have new activities for whatever mood they’re in. Whether you’re feeling like you just want to soak in the view or find a cool, quiet spot to drink in the universe and learn more about the fiction of the world. We’ll give them cinematic storytelling that feels really unique and interesting. We’ll give them competitive modes and activities they can do if they’re feeling up for a challenge. So we’re going for all of that, absolutely we want you to explore the world and feel immersed in it.

Also, wonder if the interviewer meant Reach and not Halo 3 when he talked about riffing on space combat?

I thought urk handled the MMO question straight on.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 14:23 (3934 days ago) @ Kermit

Also, wonder if the interviewer meant Reach and not Halo 3 when he talked about riffing on space combat?

Yep. What my heart needs is a planetary invasion Public Event where everyone hops in their space ride and exits the atmosphere to join the fight.

~M

This ^^^

by Apirishin, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 16:40 (3934 days ago) @ Malagate

I registered on the forum today just to show enthusiasm for this idea.

That would be so cool.

Also, thanks to everyone who has been linking to articles and what-not, and also for the good discussion (even if I've only been just observing it until now).

Welcome!

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 16:56 (3934 days ago) @ Apirishin

And the wolf pack grows :)

This ^^^

by ncsuDuncan @, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 19:32 (3933 days ago) @ Apirishin

That would be so cool.

Also, thanks to everyone who has been linking to articles and what-not, and also for the good discussion (even if I've only been just observing it until now).

Welcome! Always nice to see new names on the forum. :)

He's not new.

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Friday, June 21, 2013, 17:41 (3933 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

Welcome! Always nice to see new names on the forum. :)

Well, I guess he is to this forum, but HBO regulars know him.

Sup, Ap! Haven't seen ya around. Did you hate Halo 4 or something? Can't say I'd blame you, but it is better now.

You exited for Destiny?

He's not new.

by Apirishin, Saturday, June 22, 2013, 09:30 (3932 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)

This is true, I was active(?) on the HBO forum for a little bit, even though I'd lurked there for a while. I like the people there, though, and it's been fun to see many of the same individuals be excited for Destiny as well and develop good threads about what is known so far. Most people here and there (on HBO) know much more about games and gaming than I do, so getting different perspectives on things like the nitty-gritty of how MMOs (which I have never really played at a "dedicated" level) work and function has been informative for me.

Hey, Snipe! Yes, I'm excited for Destiny! I've always been a big sci-fi guy (like Bill Nye?), so the thought of romping around through the solar system with everyone sounds really cool in and of itself, to say nothing of the shared world aspect of Destiny, which also sounds like it will be (hopefully) really fun.

OT: I did enjoy Halo 4 while I was playing it, I just found I wasn't getting the same enjoyment out of it as I did previously. I'd say it was more of an, "It's not 343i, it's me," thing than the other way around. I'm not sure. It's been hard to precisely put my finger on the exact reason. I recall someone on the HBO forum once describing him- or herself as having "limited bandwith" when it came to gaming. My bandwith has been squeezed since the start of the year due to (good!) real life reasons, so I've unfortunately cut out a few things I otherwise might not have.

TL;DR:

• I've been on the HBO forum before.
  • Hello Snipe!
  • I'm excited for Destiny!
  • Lost some interest in (and available time for) Halo 4, but I still like it (and everyone here and at HBO)

This ^^^

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Friday, June 21, 2013, 14:31 (3933 days ago) @ Apirishin

That would be so cool.

[image]

Achievement Unlocked: [Convert one Lurker]

Great to have you here!

There are lots and lots of things that are possible with the technology available that I'm not sure very many developers have tried.

At first, my hope was that we'd see Destiny do this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCzDKj3hjOE,

And while I'm not holding my breath for that exact result, the mere fact that we've seen the ways Bungie have stretched their abilities over their last several releases, it really does seem that they're poised for something great.

I think it's curious that we haven't seen much talk of how many players are supported in the gamespace, though. The Public Event we saw had multiple fire teams, but I wonder if Bungie is setting their sights on 16 players in a combat situation being the sweet spot for how they'll utilize the engine. Of course, many more than 16 players will populate the common areas in The Tower, and I would think space combat would be less resouce intensive than throwing 64 pairs of boots on the ground, which we know other developers have tried. I guess it depends on the particular scenario. Asteroid fields, etc...

But I digress.

It's always great to see new folks around these parts. Hope you stick around.

~M

Haha, I liked your achievement! :-)

by Apirishin, Saturday, June 22, 2013, 09:12 (3932 days ago) @ Malagate

- No text -

This ^^^

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Monday, June 24, 2013, 03:57 (3930 days ago) @ Malagate

That would be so cool.

[image]

Achievement Unlocked: [Convert one Lurker]

Great to have you here!

There are lots and lots of things that are possible with the technology available that I'm not sure very many developers have tried.

At first, my hope was that we'd see Destiny do this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCzDKj3hjOE,

And while I'm not holding my breath for that exact result, the mere fact that we've seen the ways Bungie have stretched their abilities over their last several releases, it really does seem that they're poised for something great.

I think it's curious that we haven't seen much talk of how many players are supported in the gamespace, though. The Public Event we saw had multiple fire teams, but I wonder if Bungie is setting their sights on 16 players in a combat situation being the sweet spot for how they'll utilize the engine. Of course, many more than 16 players will populate the common areas in The Tower, and I would think space combat would be less resouce intensive than throwing 64 pairs of boots on the ground, which we know other developers have tried. I guess it depends on the particular scenario. Asteroid fields, etc...

But I digress.

It's always great to see new folks around these parts. Hope you stick around.

~M

When I read the first articles about Halo I remember imagining a multiplayer shooter much like Starsiege: Tribes with massive pitched 64-player battles across open terrain. Maybe there will be a bit of that in Destiny, but the Bungie networking guys are definitely going to have their hands full just implementing all the ambitious seamless matchmaking stuff with a relatively moderate number of players. I'd rather see that done well.

This idea is just super duper!

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 16:56 (3934 days ago) @ Malagate

Yep. What my heart needs is a planetary invasion Public Event where everyone hops in their space ride and exits the atmosphere to join the fight.

Whether it be defending Earth or making landfall during a planetary invasion, this would be such an amazing experience. Do I expect it to happen? No. This seems like it would be a daunting undertaking pushing a network to its limits. If they can make it happen, and such an event is in the game, this could rival the whole of Mass Effect as my favorite moment in gaming.

Have to say that was well worth the read.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 11:32 (3934 days ago) @ Mr Daax

IS IT 2014 YET?!!!

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 14:44 (3934 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I think the question people should really be asking is "What did Jones have in mind that wasn't technologically possible before now?"

I trust that limits will be pushed and we won't just end up with a shinier, MMO-ier Borderlands.

~M

[image]

In my head I can hear Belloq screaming JOOOOONES.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 14:50 (3934 days ago) @ Malagate

I trust that limits will be pushed and we won't just end up with a shinier, MMO-ier Borderlands.

Yeah I can't really see Bungie talking about the game in such an excited manner if it was just a reskinned, larger Borderlands.

by Oholiab @, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 19:18 (3933 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Agreed! My time for content consumption is limited, so I appreciate that this one had a lot to offer. Thanks for the link!

So . . . pilotable ships?

by Monochron, Friday, June 21, 2013, 09:21 (3933 days ago) @ Mr Daax

So . . . no pilotable space ships is what I am getting from the end there?

That really disappoints me. I can't imagine that I will really care about personalizing my ship if I don't get to ever use it.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, June 21, 2013, 09:43 (3933 days ago) @ Monochron

So . . . no pilotable space ships is what I am getting from the end there?

That really disappoints me. I can't imagine that I will really care about personalizing my ship if I don't get to ever use it.

I dunno, I still hold out hope. They keep saying how much they are focusing on the FPS portion of the game. For all we know they want to put in pilotable ships but just don't have it working yet so they don't want to promise it.

I personally have it on the same list is PC version of Destiny.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, June 21, 2013, 10:10 (3933 days ago) @ Xenos

I'd be very surprised if there weren't space battles of some sort given the trial run we got in Reach. Patience, grasshoppers.

by marmot 1333 @, Friday, June 21, 2013, 10:43 (3933 days ago) @ Kermit

It may be a feature we get in Destiny II.

More than anything else, that level in Reach always stood out to me as being destined for bigger things. It seemed like so much work for a 10-20 minute playable portion of the game.

Also, it was awesome.

by NM_Che56, Friday, June 28, 2013, 08:11 (3926 days ago) @ marmot 1333

That was one of the most memorable moments in Reach for me!

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Friday, June 21, 2013, 14:48 (3933 days ago) @ Kermit

I'd be very surprised if there weren't space battles of some sort given the trial run we got in Reach. Patience, grasshoppers.

Let's not forget that we had extravehicular ops on the outside of a Covenant ship, which happens to be a concept Bungie has played with since Marathon. The Cassini Derelict seems prime material for something in the same vein for Destiny at the very least.

How great would it be to look up from the hull of the ship you and your fireteam are assaulting and see several other fire teams engaged in a space battle above you?

[image]

~M

Not to kickstart the expectations, but...

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Friday, June 21, 2013, 13:17 (3933 days ago) @ Xenos

Can you imagine a public event area in space, where you and your fireteam and several other fireteams re-enact the Battle of Endor.

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Friday, June 21, 2013, 13:39 (3933 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

If Battlefront 3 doesn't include the battle of Endor on speeder bikes, then I've lost all faith in turkey dinners

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Friday, June 21, 2013, 13:44 (3933 days ago) @ JDQuackers

I meant the Space Battle of Endor, but I completely agree with you. Battlefront III has some huge shoes (and years of building expectations) to fill.

I bet space combat is working in a build right now...

by electricpirate @, Friday, June 21, 2013, 12:17 (3933 days ago) @ Monochron

Sounds to me it's more a situation of "Hey we have this happening in a prototype, but we aren't really sure if we like it yet. So let's not do a halo 2 and talk about things that end up not working."

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Friday, June 21, 2013, 12:44 (3933 days ago) @ electricpirate

Sounds to me it's more a situation of "Hey we have this happening in a prototype, but we aren't really sure if we like it yet. So let's not do a halo 2 and talk about things that end up not working."

All of this travel over Earth requires something drastic, something new and invigorating...

[image]

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Friday, June 21, 2013, 12:52 (3933 days ago) @ electricpirate

Honestly, from everything I've heard about Halo 2 development, seems like that demo was supposed to sell themselves on the idea just as much as fans.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Friday, June 21, 2013, 15:02 (3933 days ago) @ electricpirate

See also:

Other awesome things that end up breaking your heart.

~M

Sniffle...

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, June 21, 2013, 15:17 (3933 days ago) @ Malagate

- No text -

by electricpirate @, Sunday, June 23, 2013, 20:14 (3930 days ago) @ Malagate

Wow, I've never seen that before.

Though it looked a little rough, I still want that...

by GrimBrother IV, Sunday, June 23, 2013, 09:37 (3931 days ago) @ Monochron

I certainly hopy not! I have been stoked about flyable spacecraft! Hopefully they are just holding that back for now. Exactly what quote gave you that impression?

Forget my question just read it again.

by GrimBrother IV, Sunday, June 23, 2013, 09:43 (3931 days ago) @ GrimBrother IV

- No text -

by Monochron, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 13:44 (3929 days ago) @ Monochron

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Saturday, July 06, 2013, 21:24 (3917 days ago) @ Monochron

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=pJvqAVLahfo#t=432s

*Sniffle . . . sniffle

When did DBO get a YouTube channel and why is this the first I've heard of it?

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Saturday, July 06, 2013, 21:42 (3917 days ago) @ General Vagueness

When did DBO get a YouTube channel and why is this the first I've heard of it?

Because you're never even fashionably late to the conversation. :P

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread