Your questions answered - and more!

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 09:53 (3929 days ago)

If you visit our front page (our what?), you'll find an interview we conducted with Chris Butcher at the LA Convention Center during E3 - we asked a lot of questions we gathered from this community, and he answered a significant chunk of them. (We edited out a number of "well, we're not really talking about that right now"-type answers.)

Bungie loves you guys, though, and wants to make sure you're happy - so DeeJ and urk have agreed to allow some followups. Go check out the video, and then come back here with your still-unanswered questions, and we'll see what we can do about quenching some of that thirst!

I love them too!

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 09:58 (3929 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Awesome! Can't wait to watch this on my break! Thanks Claude!

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 10:30 (3929 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Very good. One of the best interviews from E3. I felt you got a bit more detailed answers than the other places. I'd like to hear more about platform differences. I don't want to buy half a game or a game that can't receive expansions like what happened with Skyrim on the PS3.

by DeeJ ⌂, Bungie, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 11:09 (3929 days ago) @ Ragashingo

In the wake of E3, our focus is on questions about the social, cooperative experience that we demonstrated in the gameplay reveal, and that core experience will be delivered fully on any device you intend to use to play Destiny.

by urk, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 11:21 (3929 days ago) @ DeeJ

In the wake of E3, our focus is on questions about the social, cooperative experience that we demonstrated in the gameplay reveal, and that core experience will be delivered fully on any device you intend to use to play Destiny.

Like my Apple Pippin?

DREAMCAST 4 LYFE

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 11:33 (3929 days ago) @ urk

- No text -

It was all a dream

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 12:44 (3929 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

by DeeJ ⌂, Bungie, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 11:36 (3929 days ago) @ urk

Like my Apple Pippin?

No, urk. I was assuming a baseline of knowledge about the platforms we've announced.

C'mon, man. This site is for hardcore fans.

by urk, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 11:39 (3929 days ago) @ DeeJ

C'mon, man. This site is for hardcore fans.

Few things are more hardcore than the Pippin. It had a trackball!

Ahh, that was great!

by SigbiasSilva @, West Midlands, England, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 10:42 (3929 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Thanks Bungie! Thanks DBO!

Great interview. One question.

by Cold, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 10:43 (3929 days ago) @ Claude Errera

(not related to my question)
There's been two occasions thus far where I've been floored by the ambition of the game. First, was the slow pan up The Wall. Second, is Chris' answer to "How do the different enemy factions interact with one another?" in this interview.

(my question)
Can you guys tell us anything about how Destiny will (or hopes to) approach duplicating items via abuse of the game save mechanics or any other method?

Great interview. One question.

by urk, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 10:55 (3929 days ago) @ Cold

Can you guys tell us anything about how Destiny will (or hopes to) approach duplicating items via abuse of the game save mechanics or any other method?

Obviously we won't be going into specifics, but our designers think about this stuff every single day. We invest heavily in QA and support in order to discover these fun little wrinkles, and make sure they don't impact fun and enjoyment of our games.

How do you save a persistent world?

by scarab @, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 11:15 (3929 days ago) @ Cold

Is returning to a saved state actually time travel?

If you can do it then should it be rationalized as time travel? We already have time traveling robots in the Destiny universe so time travel is an established part of that world. What if the Traveler gives us TTT (Time Travel Tech)?

The authors of Doctor who have stated that there is no such thing as canon in Dr Who because the main character has a time machine. Maybe Bungie could side step canon and persistent world issues by making limited time travel a real part of the Destiny universe.

Maybe the Traveler lets you quantum leap into each player's lifeline.

great answers! I've got a follow up

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 11:06 (3929 days ago) @ Claude Errera

WIll one of those things looking to pull you away from the main objective include competitive modes? Or will competitive involve a more controlled environment like going to some Arena in the city or selecting an option from the menu?

I believe there was a comment about trying to remove almost any UI (in regards to a prompt asking you to approve a public event).

I'll just say that I really really like the idea of having competitive be a natural part of my game playing experience. It'd be great to cool off after a huge competitive battle with some casual exploration.

Thanks for answering those questions Bungie, one of the reasons I've always loved you is the respect you show your fans.

by urk, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 11:18 (3929 days ago) @ kidtsunami

WIll one of those things looking to pull you away from the main objective include competitive modes? Or will competitive involve a more controlled environment like going to some Arena in the city or selecting an option from the menu?

We've yet to detail out anything about competitive mp (dodge!), but I will say that the design pillar "Activities for Every Mood" is predicated on player choice. "Pull" is likely too strong a word to describe whatever falls into the bucket of "those things" here. "Entice" or "offer" might be better.

I believe there was a comment about trying to remove almost any UI (in regards to a prompt asking you to approve a public event).

There's UI to announce the Public Event, but no loading or lobby to sit through. We're not actively trying to eliminate all UI from the game (Hey, Candland!), but rather trying to ensure that as many actions and activities as possible feel woven into the narrative of the world itself. UI plays a huge roll in that obviously, and in fact, down the line I want to show it off as a reveal in and of itself. Which isn't a promise, but a personal preference. ;)

Thanks for answering those questions Bungie, one of the reasons I've always loved you is the respect you show your fans.

You should hear all the shit DeeJ says about you when you're not listening!

by DeeJ ⌂, Bungie, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 11:26 (3929 days ago) @ urk

It's a bloodbath. Stuff like:

"Hey, we should treat those DBO guys like regular press at E3."

"Claude Errera is much more handsome in person."

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 11:33 (3929 days ago) @ DeeJ

"Claude Errera is much more handsome in person."

"I thought he'd be taller."

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 12:16 (3929 days ago) @ Claude Errera

"I thought he'd be taller."

C'mon. Not possible.

He's taller than I expected and better looking too!

by scarab @, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 11:36 (3929 days ago) @ DeeJ

no inappropriate touching!

by electricpirate @, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 12:38 (3929 days ago) @ urk

We've yet to detail out anything about competitive mp (dodge!), but I will say that the design pillar "Activities for Every Mood" is predicated on player choice. "Pull" is likely too strong a word to describe whatever falls into the bucket of "those things" here. "Entice" or "offer" might be better.

Detiny is like that one kid who has no social inhibitions and gets everyone else to start dancing.

great UI != tons of prompts

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, June 26, 2013, 05:50 (3928 days ago) @ urk

Well consider me excited to be enticed by some offers

There's UI to announce the Public Event, but no loading or lobby to sit through. We're not actively trying to eliminate all UI from the game (Hey, Candland!), but rather trying to ensure that as many actions and activities as possible feel woven into the narrative of the world itself. UI plays a huge roll in that obviously, and in fact, down the line I want to show it off as a reveal in and of itself. Which isn't a promise, but a personal preference. ;)

Sorry for the language I used, UI is one of my favorite things about Bungie games and I've always appreciated the care the team has put into making the experience as smooth user friendly as possible while providing tons of power under the hood. Heck, I was super pumped when Candland was one of my ODST firefight buddies for the FLAG event so I could pick his brain for questions.

Ever since I built an XNA game and got 2 XBoxes to find each other and join a game, I've wanted to build or play a game that made the matching seamless. Journey and Dark Souls among others fulfilled part of the promise of that concept and I'm looking forward to enjoying Bungie's take on a seamless matchmaking adventure.

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how you'll handle some issues that I've discovered in my design process, how to keep the universe persistent, what happens when more than the intended amount of users want to goto the same location, and how to balance the progress while matching people efficiently. Suffice it to say, if there weren't so many challenges to bringing this idea to life, the result wouldn't be so satisfying.

Oh we know he doodles DBO usernames on his trapper keeper.

Thanks for letting me gush a bit.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, June 26, 2013, 08:26 (3928 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Mostly it just has "Louis Wu Claude Errera" in a big heart with an arrow through it.

all sorts of tall bearded hearts

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, June 26, 2013, 08:51 (3928 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, June 26, 2013, 10:11 (3928 days ago) @ Xenos

Mostly it just has "Louis Wu Claude Errera" in a big heart with an arrow through it.

lol - that's even creepier than your 'I won't touch' comment! :)

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, June 26, 2013, 10:14 (3928 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Haha, I should probably tone down the creepiness, otherwise people will run when they meet me in real life :)

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, June 26, 2013, 10:18 (3928 days ago) @ Xenos

Haha, I should probably tone down the creepiness, otherwise people will run when they meet me in real life :)

Nah, our attention span is too short. We won't remember. :)

by scarab @, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 11:21 (3929 days ago) @ kidtsunami

But you could have an 'IM' status that you can set at any stage. Set your status to: solo, pub, or PvP and then the game arranges things to suit your mood.

Thanks for answering our questions!

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 11:50 (3929 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I really appreciate you guys spending time with us lowly DBOers :-D

More of to settle a debate, but in the gameplay demo did the first player "purchase" the top skill or just view it?

Also, is Bungie planning on being at PAX Prime this year?

by urk, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 11:53 (3929 days ago) @ Xenos

I really appreciate you guys spending time with us lowly DBOers :-D

More of to settle a debate, but in the gameplay demo did the first player "purchase" the top skill or just view it?

Viewed it only.

Also, is Bungie planning on being at PAX Prime this year?

A bunch of us have passes, but that's not an announcement or anything. PAX is fun. I will be at PAX.

by DeeJ ⌂, Bungie, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 11:55 (3929 days ago) @ urk

I will be at PAX.

Hey, I will too. We should meet up. Or carpool.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 12:01 (3929 days ago) @ DeeJ

I will be at PAX.

Hey, I will too. We should meet up. Or carpool.

I will see you guys there then! Don't worry I won't touch.

by urk, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 12:02 (3929 days ago) @ Xenos

Don't worry I won't touch.

Not creepy at all that you made special mention of it!

;)

by krypt0nian, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 11:58 (3929 days ago) @ Claude Errera

One thing I've been wondering about. In the reveal, you showed a public space that looked like a social hub. Will that work like a Home space, or will there be things like auction houses, vendors, player/guild housing?

Can you speak at least a bit on how you want the hub spaces (my words) to work?

by broony, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 12:05 (3929 days ago) @ krypt0nian

Can you say if there is currently a lead platform and if so, is it what it looks like?

by broony, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 12:08 (3929 days ago) @ broony

It sounds like it could be tricky to manage a full fire team who may be at different stages of the story. Can you explain how that will work, can a team go do a certain mission even if the others are not that far into the game? And can you go back and do a story mission again?

In a couple of videos of the city you see characters running up to terminals, is that where you grab a mission, swap your load out, buy and sell? Or something else?

by broony, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 12:13 (3929 days ago) @ broony

Also want to say just how hyped I am for this game. I'm a big co-op player and this just suits me to the ground. I play at least once a week with my 63 year old dad who is also really looking forward to it.

by urk, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 12:24 (3929 days ago) @ broony

It sounds like it could be tricky to manage a full fire team who may be at different stages of the story. Can you explain how that will work, can a team go do a certain mission even if the others are not that far into the game? And can you go back and do a story mission again?

At GDC, Staten used a pipeline metaphor to describe how content used to be built at Bungie, and to contrast it with our approach for Destiny. We talk a lot about destinations, and the folks we once called mission designers are now world designers, approaching things differently this time.

Story specifics are being saved for a later date, but I will say it will not be tricky to get fireteams playing fun, rewarding content with each other at any given moment, regardless of a lot of various factors you might traditionally have to take into account. We don't want to put big, impenetrable barriers in front of friends who want to play with each other.

In a couple of videos of the city you see characters running up to terminals, is that where you grab a mission, swap your load out, buy and sell? Or something else?

Great question!

by broony, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 12:44 (3929 days ago) @ urk
edited by broony, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 12:47

Thanks urk, appreciate you taking time out to do this. . Going to buy a couple of shirts for me and my dad. Shipping is to the UK is ridonkulous but fook it.

by urk, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 14:26 (3929 days ago) @ broony

Thanks urk, appreciate you taking time out to do this. . Going to buy a couple of shirts for me and my dad. Shipping is to the UK is ridonkulous but fook it.

Yeah, it sucks and I crab about it a lot. Something to do with tax shelters or something. Grown up business stuff.

by kapowaz, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 14:46 (3929 days ago) @ urk

Yeah, it sucks and I crab about it a lot. Something to do with tax shelters or something. Grown up business stuff.

Really, that's the reason? Very strange. I buy t-shirts from US based retailers online loads, and whilst I usually get hit for customs, the shipping is usually only in the region of $10-15. There's nothing that can be done, here? I'd buy, like, 4 t-shirts otherwise!

by urk, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 15:12 (3929 days ago) @ kapowaz

Really, that's the reason? Very strange. I buy t-shirts from US based retailers online loads, and whilst I usually get hit for customs, the shipping is usually only in the region of $10-15. There's nothing that can be done, here? I'd buy, like, 4 t-shirts otherwise!

No, not really. ;)

by urk, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 12:19 (3929 days ago) @ broony

Can you say if there is currently a lead platform and if so, is it what it looks like?

Destiny was built from the beginning to be multiplatform. Reads like a PR answer, but it's a truthfact.

by urk, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 12:15 (3929 days ago) @ krypt0nian

One thing I've been wondering about. In the reveal, you showed a public space that looked like a social hub. Will that work like a Home space, or will there be things like auction houses, vendors, player/guild housing?

Can you speak at least a bit on how you want the hub spaces (my words) to work?

I'm assuming that you're talking about the Tower. Bright, lots of Guardians, majestic views of the City and the Traveler?

The features copy goes like this:

Return to The City, Destiny’s third person social space to refuel, repair, and rearm before going out on your next adventure.

There's a bunch of stuff that you're hitting on with your question that we definitely want to do, and I think you can read into the above copy a little and figure most of it out. Pre-alpha means I'm not making any promises right now beyond promising to make a lot of noise about social spaces as soon as we can. I believe, like public events, that social spaces really make Destiny feel unique and distinct and alive.

:)

Initial customization

by GrimBrother IV, Monday, July 01, 2013, 08:17 (3923 days ago) @ krypt0nian

Are we going to see a lotof customization/variance of players right as you start Destiny, or is every persons grear going to be pretty much the same until we can earn some more?

Initial customization

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Monday, July 01, 2013, 14:22 (3923 days ago) @ GrimBrother IV

I think there will be a lot compared to Reach, as you have different races/classes/colors, but I think it will be limited to starters.

I can't wait to see someone run by who has spent 10 hours on the moon and has a retro spacesuit for their accomplishments, as opposed to other more rounded and versed players.

Great interview guys!

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 12:09 (3929 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Thanks for all the work you've been putting into this! (that was addressed to the forum admins, and the Bungie team)

A couple questions about the Sparrow. If I remember correctly, everyone has their own personal one. Can that be used at anytime, or are there certain spaces where we won't be able to use it? Do I have to call in my ship to drop it off, or can I just whip it out of my gigantic back pocket? Does it have any mounted weapons, or is it merely a means of transportation?

Great interview guys!

by urk, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 12:16 (3929 days ago) @ Mr Daax

A couple questions about the Sparrow. If I remember correctly, everyone has their own personal one. Can that be used at anytime, or are there certain spaces where we won't be able to use it? Do I have to call in my ship to drop it off, or can I just whip it out of my gigantic back pocket? Does it have any mounted weapons, or is it merely a means of transportation?

Great questions!

Heh, thanks urk. I had to try :)

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 13:33 (3929 days ago) @ urk

- No text -

About the other players on stage

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 12:10 (3929 days ago) @ Claude Errera

For curiosity's sake, were the other players and fire teams that joined later in the demo just standing around in their designated spots waiting to leap over the walls or ride in triumphantly on their Sparrows? Did everyone have to walk to their start positions or was the demo more hard coded to get everyone in the right spots for a quick turnover?

Also, thanks for taking the time for these follow ups! :)

by Mariachi @, Kentucky, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 12:16 (3929 days ago) @ Claude Errera

One of the reasons I kept coming back to the Halo series was the way that Bungie breathed life into the Master Chief and Cortana. I genuinely wanted to follow their story and see what happened to them. For me, it was as much about their particular story as it was the game play.

My understanding is that with Destiny, we are each getting to be our own unique character that will cross the main storyline and multiplayer, and not a central protagonist like Chief was. Will our character's particular story drive or influence the main storyline, or will our particular character's story be more reactive to the overall story more along the lines of The Rookie from ODST or Noble Six from Reach?

by DeeJ ⌂, Bungie, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 13:57 (3929 days ago) @ Mariachi

Will our character's particular story drive or influence the main storyline, or will our particular character's story be more reactive to the overall story more along the lines of The Rookie from ODST or Noble Six from Reach?

Destiny will have a rich, story-driven experience that we think will satisfy your appetite for an engaging narrative. This is a first-person shooter set in a world filled with mysteries and bold characters. The main difference, of course, is that you're going to have the option to make these discoveries in real time with other players of the game. This doesn't mean that other people will have the chance to lead you astray or have a negative impact your own story arc.

A VERY Important Question

by minasodaboy ⌂ @, Madison, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 12:21 (3929 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Q: Will there be cats (space, land or otherwise) in Destiny?

Tigerman may not have survived the Golden Age, but what do people in The City look at on the Space Internet if there are no cats?

Keep up the great work! The short E3 videos were great and I can't wait to see more content like that in the future.

by kapowaz, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 12:33 (3929 days ago) @ Claude Errera

(We edited out a number of "well, we're not really talking about that right now"-type answers.)

…other than all the ones that made it into the video? Honestly, it feels like Bungie are so unwilling to discuss anything outside of the scope of the E3 demo that it's pointless having a Q&A session right now. Obviously the questions are going to be outside of the scope of what was shown — that's why we're asking them! If all you're going to do is tell us something we can learn by watching the video then this whole exercise is fruitless.

I respect that this is most likely because things are still up in the air and you don't want to have people fixate on features which might not make the cut, but even so this feels like so much hot air. I'd go so far as to say I'd rather you just went dark again, then came back and did a real Q&A closer to release.

I now open the floor to DBOers who will now undoubtedly tell me how terribly ungrateful I am being.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 12:37 (3929 days ago) @ kapowaz

I won't say you're ungrateful. Honestly I have gleaned quite a bit of information from all the Q&A sessions they have done at/after E3, just because they can't answer all the specific questions people are asking doesn't mean there's not new information to share.

by kapowaz, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 12:46 (3929 days ago) @ Xenos

just because they can't answer all the specific questions people are asking doesn't mean there's not new information to share.

That's true to a degree, but it's also largely not new information so much as filling in the blanks on the information they've shared thus far. And what they've shared thus far is pretty sketchy. We have a demo which has almost universal praise, but so much remains unknown.

Also, I find I'm turned off by hearing the same answers over and over, not to mention the constant we're not talking about that right now. It makes me want to forget all about Destiny until much later, rather than be actively interested in the build-up to release.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 12:51 (3929 days ago) @ kapowaz

Also, I find I'm turned off by hearing the same answers over and over, not to mention the constant we're not talking about that right now. It makes me want to forget all about Destiny until much later, rather than be actively interested in the build-up to release.

Honestly, this is not at all meant to be rude, but if you are annoyed by it, stop reading/watching the Q&A's. I get similar feelings from topics on this forum and other forums and there is a simple solution: ignore it and let the people who enjoy it enjoy it.

by kapowaz, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 12:52 (3929 days ago) @ Xenos

Honestly, this is not at all meant to be rude, but if you are annoyed by it, stop reading/watching the Q&A's. I get similar feelings from topics on this forum and other forums and there is a simple solution: ignore it and let the people who enjoy it enjoy it.

I think maybe that's what I'll have to do, because otherwise the signal:noise ratio is just so damned low.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 12:56 (3929 days ago) @ kapowaz

That's certainly a way to go. It can be fun, even, to forget about a game in development for a while then see it again and marvel at all the progress that has been made. It takes a certain, perhaps even over the top, level of interest to be willing to closely follow a game that's still in development. I do think that Bungie is doing a better job this time around of telling us things though. Yes, a lot is still not being talked about, but I prefer those kinds of answers to teases that seem to go nowhere like we saw during the weekly updates of the Halo 2 era.

by broony, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 12:45 (3929 days ago) @ kapowaz

Ask a question and see what happens rather than sounding ungrateful.

broony wins first prize!

by kapowaz, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 12:47 (3929 days ago) @ broony

- No text -

broony wins first prize!

by broony, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 12:49 (3929 days ago) @ kapowaz

And you are dead last.

QQ

by kapowaz, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 12:51 (3929 days ago) @ broony

- No text -

You are terrribably ungrapeful!

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 12:49 (3929 days ago) @ kapowaz

What I think is interesting is how early they still are in the process of building the game. Things like respawning are still being decided. From what I gathered from the various interviews the vast plains of Old Russia opposite the wall are unfinished and likely won't be vast empty plains when the game ships. I wonder if Destiny being shown off at an earlier point in development or were the other reveal demos like Halo 2's and Halo 3's done at similar points in those game's development?

There are times I don't envy Bungie's community guys. It must be hard to be on the inside, able to see the great work the studio is doing but not being able to really tell anybody about it. Especially at game expos and double especially to fans who would probably (at least try to) understand where you are coming from and that things aren't final.

Did you ask all the questions? Or pick "from a hat"?

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 13:08 (3929 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

Most, I think.

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 13:19 (3929 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

We left out a couple that they'd already said they wouldn't answer - but we asked most of what was asked here on the forum and on Twitter (along with a few of our own).

We cut all the 'we're not answering that now' answers. (Given kapowaz' unhappiness with the remaining quantity of 'we're not answering that' material, I should clarify that we cut all answers that were ONLY that.)

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 13:19 (3929 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Mutliple races, with multiple factions, this is fantastic. Fallen turf wars going on while your just trying to pick flowers. Glorious.

Follow up about your ship

by Monochron, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 13:52 (3929 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Questions galore!!!

My question has to do with what mechanisms there might be in the game to make me want to invest in my ship. If Bungie aren't saying outright whether or not we will have physical control over the piloting of our ships, that's okay, but I would like to know what will make me invested in that.
I was super pumped about flying around my badass ship and showing up my various e-friends, but I am losing that excitement now that it looks like I won't actually get to pilot it...

FORGE, ASK THEM ABOUT FORGE

by petetheduck, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 13:58 (3929 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I hope to get a response, so I'll have to word this carefully..

It makes me happy to create playspaces and share them with my friends.

Will Destiny make me happy?

Or, at least, will Destiny not make me sad?

<3

by marmot 1333 @, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 14:06 (3929 days ago) @ Claude Errera

This was so cool. !!!

by The Lionheart ⌂, Savannah, GA, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 14:48 (3929 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I had posted something like this in response to the mail sack at Bungie.net (http://www.bungie.net/en-us/Forum/Post?id=60866686&path=1), but for some reason, it's giving me this error message: "Sorry, you do not have sufficient privileges with this group to perform the requested action."

It was long, so I'm not going to try to recount it exactly, but I'll just try my best to hit at the core of it:

While I care about Destiny's gameplay, you'd think I could give two hoots about it given how much more I care about the universe/lore/immersion. I'm at a point in my life where I don't really want to play a better Monopoly, Mousetrap, or Connect 4 -- I want engaging fiction that I can interact with on a deep and expansive level. Halo's fiction nailed this (I spend hours exploring Skyrim's universe, and wish I could have done similar things with Halo's), but I didn't see the universe spotlighted by you guys at E3, so I'm a little concerned:

Have you guys switched from creating a universe where there's more between the lines than there is in the lines themselves to a Borderlands-y type of "Whoohoo! Yay, fun!" experience? One which is, for lack of a better word, more shallow?

Or are you going to give me something to ponder over, late into the night, something I can stew over with my bubble pipe and fuzzy slippers?

I live for the deep--the profound. Will I be satisfied with your game's universe? Does the rabbit hole go down far? Or are my thirsts relics of a long forgotten age?

by TTL Demag0gue ⌂ @, Within the shadow of the Traveler, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 15:03 (3929 days ago) @ The Lionheart

I had posted something like this in response to the mail sack at Bungie.net (http://www.bungie.net/en-us/Forum/Post?id=60866686&path=1), but for some reason, it's giving me this error message: "Sorry, you do not have sufficient privileges with this group to perform the requested action."

I believe that's probably because the mail sack was closed to submissions.

by The Lionheart ⌂, Savannah, GA, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 15:07 (3929 days ago) @ TTL Demag0gue

Oh, my bad; I meant to communicate that I had successfully posted it, and that now that I go back and try to read that thread, I'm given that error message.

by TTL Demag0gue ⌂ @, Within the shadow of the Traveler, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 15:10 (3929 days ago) @ The Lionheart

Oh, my bad; I meant to communicate that I had successfully posted it, and that now that I go back and try to read that thread, I'm given that error message.

Same deal. The thread's been closed.

by DeeJ ⌂, Bungie, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 15:16 (3929 days ago) @ TTL Demag0gue

Yeah. Closed. Mail Sack threads used to bake for days so that I could have about 200 posts from which to choose. Yesterday, it spiraled to 430 posts in five hours. We're gonna need a bigger sack.

by DeeJ ⌂, Bungie, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 15:04 (3929 days ago) @ The Lionheart

I live for the deep--the profound. Will I be satisfied with your game's universe? Does the rabbit hole go down far? Or are my thirsts relics of a long forgotten age?

You are absolutely right in that our E3 deliverable was light on story. After contemplating the brand new universe of this game for the first several beats of our conversation following reveal, we felt it was time to start the motor and rev the engine - to let you see this thing move and shake.

Destiny will have a story that will have you asking lot of questions. Those mysteries will drive the experience. You, as a Guardian of our last civilization, will be tasked with exploring shattered ruins to unlock the secrets buried within. That curiosity is what will drive you forward into the frontier, leaving behind the safety of the Tower, where the protective light of the Traveler shields us from strange invaders who occupy our former glory.

by The Lionheart ⌂, Savannah, GA, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 15:57 (3929 days ago) @ DeeJ

You are absolutely right in that our E3 deliverable was light on story.
[...]
Those mysteries will drive the experience.

Thanks for answering, DeeJ. I am comforted to know that the plot & the straight-up "narrative" content that you guys are filling this universe with will not disappoint, but what I'm more curious about is... well, with the Halo universe, the creators/writers of that universe had so much more to express than a mere story about a cyborg soldier saving the world, alongside whatever pieces of dialogue or visual storytelling you might come across--what was handed to you was like the tip of the iceberg, whereas what awaited those who dug deeper on their own was like the REST of the iceberg.

They channeled Ender's Game with the SPARTAN-II program, you could hear the haunting reverberation of dark ritualistic chants from their channeling the Cthulu mythos into The Flood and its amazing Gravemind, they had things to say through their naming of AI's after legendary swords (used by Charlemagne, Roland, etc.) that are STILL not entirely understood in full, to name but a few connections picked up on by your fans. And this is not even mentioning the strong, lasting, and innumerable (both direct and indirect, as the film "Prometheus" recently pointed out) Biblical connections which have shaped the series for as long as it has been around and continue to provide hours of thought-provoking theorizing. Mendicant Bias's words alone, played backwards in several tracks in the Halo soundtracks, are a cornucopia of food for thought, with profound implications.

So THAT's more of what I was talking about; if I whip out my Google search, my Wikipedia, and open up conversation with other members of the hardest-core Bungie fans as I analyze the curious particulars of the content I come across (the seawall outside of New Mombasa and what it might say about the effect of climate change over the next 539 years... the degree to which humanity was unaware how badly we were losing the war with the Covenant... how the (false) Prophets used what was good and worthy of reverence and twisted it into something evil and worthy of hate--leading the galaxy in the slaughter of the children of the ones they so revered... so on and so forth), will there be much said by Bungie that is whispered rather than spoken? Will those who take the lore you guys create and savor it like a professional wine taster rather than scarfing it down like a broseph scarfing down a Whopper have at least as much available to them as they grew used to having with your previous universe?

Or are you guys so spread out from the incredible scale of your ambition that such a devotion to "plans within plans" and to layers of narrative within and beneath other narrative is just unrealistic at this point?

The ARG you guys put out stirred these ancient engines I'm talking about here to life (http://alphalupi.bungie.net/98862748014.jpg); but I don't yet know whether the rest of DESTINY will be able to measure up to it; the gameplay shown so far seems rather lighthearted (though now I've heard you say that this was intentional and the result of targeting only a very specific set of things to show). This is really the only thing I care about getting answers for, because everything else will come in its due time: I'm trying to figure out whether I should be getting my hopes up to invest myself heavily into another universe when I am already so, so heavily invested in your previous universe and what its creators had to say about life, death, and everything in between.

^THIS

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 16:03 (3929 days ago) @ The Lionheart

Well worded, my friend. Can't wait for an answer to this, whenever we get it.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 18:57 (3929 days ago) @ The Lionheart

I'm a little confused by what you're asking or if you're expecting an answer. Deej has said that there will be mysteries driving players and that's enough for me, especially considering that's what they've done so well before, as you acknowledge.

Marathon had a fantastic story, the text of which was what, 5 pages long? What it did a great job of was sparking our imaginations. Based on many comments Bungie folks have made about Destiny, it seems to me that they are aiming at something similar, or better--a universe where we also tell the stories, and we make the connections.

Destiny already feels steeped in myth in a way Halo didn't, at least to me. I love Halo, but its mysteries feel a lot less mysterious these days.

If you asked me all this and I were making the game that I think you and I both want, at this point I would offer only a knowing smile. :)

Kerm

^This

by TTL Demag0gue ⌂ @, Within the shadow of the Traveler, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 19:18 (3929 days ago) @ Kermit

Destiny already feels steeped in myth in a way Halo didn't, at least to me. I love Halo, but its mysteries feel a lot less mysterious these days.

I love fiction that contains mysteries without answers. Those are the things that keep conversations going long after a book has been read, a movie has been seen, or a game has been completed. Those are the things that spark imagination and wonderment. The mythic nature of Destiny promises, at least to me, to provide some of these unknowable mysteries. Sometimes it's just better to not fill in all the blanks. :)

by The Lionheart ⌂, Savannah, GA, Thursday, June 27, 2013, 18:15 (3927 days ago) @ Kermit

I love Halo, but its mysteries feel a lot less mysterious these days.

In my opinion, the reason Halo feels much less mysterious has everything to do with the handover from the storytellers at Bungie to the storytellers at 343.

The folks at 343 have their own directions that they seem to want to take the Halo universe's fiction, and because of that, they've revealed things with clarity that were previously vague via Bungie, while still leaving other things, some of them new, as vague or mysterious.

Makes you wonder whether what they revealed was actually what Bungie had dreamed of... whereas Bungie clearly states 3 times that Forerunners ARE humans, albeit a different kind of humans (I essentially imagined them as humans "idealized" in every respect: biologically, philosophically, spiritually, scientifically), 343 seems to be working in a Halo universe where that's not the case (though I haven't gotten to read Silentium yet, but it's sitting on my night stand patiently waiting).

If you leave off at Reach, where we have this "birthright from an ancient civilization", then I think our minds are still free to wander and wonder about what it would be like to travel back in time and interact with this ancient, graceful civilization.

Anywho, all of that is ancillary. I asked what I asked here because it only made sense to: the worst they could do would be to say nothing--whereas the best that could have come out of my asking would have been answers or at least a "Yes, we know exactly what you're talking about, and no, we're not talking about that yet. ;)"

I can't complain about not having the answers if I didn't even bother to ask, right? :)

Thanks for the response, Kermit.

Claude, this rocks, & you guys are awesome.

by The Lionheart ⌂, Savannah, GA, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 16:03 (3929 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Thanks so much for helping make all of this happen. You were/are definitely way more on top of things than anywhere else I seek info.

Thanks!

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 16:24 (3929 days ago) @ The Lionheart

Thanks so much for helping make all of this happen. You were/are definitely way more on top of things than anywhere else I seek info.

I had a much smaller role in this than pretty much everyone else involved - my major contribution seems to be as the mic-holder for Chris in the actual video. ;) (Colin and Duncan filmed it, Duncan organized the fan-submitted questions, Grim handled most of the heavy lifting, interview-wise, Colin did all the editing... I basically sat there and held the mic in the wrong place. ;) )

I'm glad we've got a solid team this time around, with a variety of skills and a TON of enthusiasm. Lets me sit back and drink margaritas and watch the action. :) (I don't really drink margaritas. Usually.)

Thanks!

by ncsuDuncan @, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 16:36 (3929 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I basically sat there and held the mic in the wrong place. ;)

Nonsense, you were holding the mic in the right place at least half the time!

We would have had a lot more trouble with editing if you had only recorded yourself asking questions (instead of only recording Chris's answers). ;)

Heh.

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 16:45 (3929 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

I basically sat there and held the mic in the wrong place. ;)

Nonsense, you were holding the mic in the right place at least half the time!

We would have had a lot more trouble with editing if you had only recorded yourself asking questions (instead of only recording Chris's answers). ;)

"See? You could have screwed it up worse!"

Thanks!

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 16:47 (3929 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I came here to say that you held that mic like a pro.

Ok, not just that. Any word on split screen or LAN capabilities?

Thanks!

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 17:04 (3929 days ago) @ bluerunner

I came here to say that you held that mic like a pro.

Ok, not just that. Any word on split screen or LAN capabilities?

We asked. That was one of the 'we're not talking about that right now' answers. :(

Thanks!

by biggy ⌂ @, Tinseltown, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 18:15 (3929 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Lets me sit back and drink margaritas and watch the action. :) (I don't really drink margaritas. Usually.)

Don't forget the part where you belittle me constantly.

You know what Claude?!

by GrimBrother One, Wednesday, June 26, 2013, 19:31 (3928 days ago) @ biggy

You're right.

Thank you!

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 16:58 (3929 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I didn't exactly get my question answered, but I still love that Chris was able to take some time out to console DBO in their spazzing. To the DBO Staff, I'm really excited to see videos of you guys fanboying it up at E3. I hope you had fun making them!

One more video on the way

by biggy ⌂ @, Tinseltown, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 17:26 (3929 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Funny moments incoming.

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 20:22 (3929 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Great interview! Nice to see these sorts of things coming out of DBO!

It was a little frustrating hearing him continue to say, "Well, here at E3 we're showing . . . " I mean, yeah, we saw that, we know.

But then I remember how much emphasis they're putting on letting us know they're still in pre-alpha. That still blows my mind. I'd honestly kind of like to know more about that. I mean, how much of the game looks like what we saw at E3, as far as level of polish. How much of the game is "built" so to speak? Are they still designing play areas, or is all that groundwork laid?

I'd love to see another Bungie ViDoc soon!

Question for Wu... edit: Claude? what do I call you here? :P

by Avateur @, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 21:23 (3929 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Are there any plans (maybe something already discussed with Bungie, or just an idea for the future) for the questions that were cut out due to "not speaking about that right now" to be saved and presented again at a future point in time assuming the questions aren't addressed when further reveals occur?

Question for Wu... edit: Claude? what do I call you here? :P

by ncsuDuncan @, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 21:29 (3929 days ago) @ Avateur

Are there any plans (maybe something already discussed with Bungie, or just an idea for the future) for the questions that were cut out due to "not speaking about that right now" to be saved and presented again at a future point in time assuming the questions aren't addressed when further reveals occur?

No current plans that I'm aware of, but I still have the list of questions saved. I imagine any future interview opportunities we come across will prompt us to ask the community for a new round of questions anyways. :)

Add this one.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, June 26, 2013, 05:02 (3928 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

I didn't ask it because I knew now was not the time that they were going to answer it.

Will someone being on my friends list (or PS4's real-life friends list) affect matchmaking?

I love Butcher's anecdote about seeing a friend in a public space. Assuming that many of my friends play regularly, how likely is that to happen when hundreds of thousands of guardians roam the solar system?

Wu Online! Claude RealLife! Both sound like a Awesome game.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 22:46 (3929 days ago) @ Avateur

- No text -

Wu Online sounds like a dating site…

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, June 26, 2013, 02:08 (3928 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

Least successful dating site EVAR

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, June 26, 2013, 05:35 (3928 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

World of Wucraft, new MMO from Blizzard/Bungie team-up?

by Avateur @, Friday, June 28, 2013, 17:54 (3926 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

Bungie.org is not Bungie.net

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, June 28, 2013, 18:07 (3926 days ago) @ Avateur

- No text -

by Oz Mills, Wednesday, June 26, 2013, 06:30 (3928 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Were questions about the iPhone/smartphone app shown in the Out Of Darkness trailer part of the "We're not talking about that" section?

I was suprised no details have come out about that yet. I'd love to know exactly what the use cases for that are.

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, June 26, 2013, 07:06 (3928 days ago) @ Oz Mills

Were questions about the iPhone/smartphone app shown in the Out Of Darkness trailer part of the "We're not talking about that" section?

Yes.

You guys rock. Best questions I've seen asked at E3.

by NsU Soldier @, Washington, Saturday, June 29, 2013, 18:45 (3925 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread