Mission (partly) Accomplished! (DBO)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, July 26, 2016, 13:10 (2823 days ago)

For the last month, ever since the Year Two Moments of Triumph was announced, the less than flawless crew on the Playstation has been fighting and losing against Oryx on hard mode. Hours and hours we fought with no success. At first we couldn't kill all the knights. Then we couldn't kill the shade. If anything could go wrong, it did. When we finally got to the (16) bomb stage, some of the bombs didn't detonate, or someone (mea culpa) didn't go to the right bombs. Last night we finally got it!

Special thanks to Ottermack and Speedracer for sitting in. You guys helped a lot.

Thanks also to Pyromancy, Canecutter, Laidcleric, Bigarm, marmot, Kupkake, and Destroyoboy, and anybody else I've left out who have participated in our "practice runs." Everybody kept a good attitude, even after countless failures.

The coolest thing about the last several weeks was watching us get better. We figured out how to use our strengths in combination, making refinements as we went. We each found our role, learning to toss a grenade here, or preserve our supers for this or that time. This week especially there was no doubt that we could get it done--it was only a matter of time.

Our work isn't done, though. Bigarm and marmot still need a hardmode win (we might ask the PS4 flawless team for help with that), and many of us still need to do the challenge mode (this week!). Keep your eyes peeled for an event.

Destiny raiding provides some of the coolest experiences I've had in gaming.

Kermit

P.S. If someone gets an Oryx checkpoint [hard and/or normal mode], let me know.

Congrats!

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Tuesday, July 26, 2016, 13:13 (2823 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

2 Thumbs Up!

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, July 26, 2016, 14:00 (2823 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

Sticktoitiveness FTW!

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Tuesday, July 26, 2016, 14:07 (2823 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

Congrats! :D

by slycrel ⌂, Tuesday, July 26, 2016, 14:14 (2823 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

*Celebratory Noises*

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Tuesday, July 26, 2016, 14:15 (2823 days ago) @ Kermit

[image]

Mission (partly) Accomplished!

by CaneCutter @, Alabama, Tuesday, July 26, 2016, 14:39 (2823 days ago) @ Kermit

Banging our heads against the wall only to have the wall break was a pretty awesome experience. Thanks for including me - that was a damn good feeling watching Oryx float away.

And good job to everyone else for not getting discouraged. That can be a demoralizing fight. LOL

- CC

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Tuesday, July 26, 2016, 16:41 (2823 days ago) @ Kermit

For the last month, ever since the Year Two Moments of Triumph was announced, the less than flawless crew on the Playstation has been fighting and losing against Oryx on hard mode. Hours and hours we fought with no success. At first we couldn't kill all the knights. Then we couldn't kill the shade. If anything could go wrong, it did. When we finally got to the (16) bomb stage, some of the bombs didn't detonate, or someone (mea culpa) didn't go to the right bombs. Last night we finally got it!

Special thanks to Ottermack and Speedracer for sitting in. You guys helped a lot.

Thanks also to Pyromancy, Canecutter, Laidcleric, Bigarm, marmot, Kupkake, and Destroyoboy, and anybody else I've left out who have participated in our "practice runs." Everybody kept a good attitude, even after countless failures.

The coolest thing about the last several weeks was watching us get better. We figured out how to use our strengths in combination, making refinements as we went. We each found our role, learning to toss a grenade here, or preserve our supers for this or that time. This week especially there was no doubt that we could get it done--it was only a matter of time.

Our work isn't done, though. Bigarm and marmot still need a hardmode win (we might ask the PS4 flawless team for help with that), and many of us still need to do the challenge mode (this week!). Keep your eyes peeled for an event.

Kermit

Can't thank you enough for hosting the (many) events and for having a laid back atmosphere. It is fun to play with you all. Thanks for being welcoming to a DBO lurker. The Fireteam Builder is such a great asset to the boards - I would have not have finished Year 1 or Year 2 Moments of Triumph without the FTB.
Thanks for giving me an easy role (2nd platform) and being patient as I re-learned all the Oryx mechanics again
(I slowly raised my light level between each time we had an event - I hate crucible but I finished The Mountaintop and playing alot of Iron Banner helped gain gear too)

Sorry for the confusion on that bombs location. I was partially responsible for that one, in a big way.

I still need the Oryx fragment and can't wait to get that one done. Should be a breeze now. Hopefully there will be an event for that. I'm not that good but I'd be glad to help anyone left that needs the hard mode complete.

I also need the Golgoroth Challenge when it comes around again. I'll probably make an event for that, but will need someone to lead it up.

I was along for a VoG or Crota run along time ago with the Deeply flawed raiders and have always considered myself an honorary member. After running Oryx a bunch of times hopefully I have bolstered my honorary status :)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, July 26, 2016, 17:07 (2823 days ago) @ Pyromancy

Kermit

Can't thank you enough for hosting the (many) events and for having a laid back atmosphere. It is fun to play with you all. Thanks for being welcoming to a DBO lurker. The Fireteam Builder is such a great asset to the boards - I would have not have finished Year 1 or Year 2 Moments of Triumph without the FTB.
Thanks for giving me an easy role (2nd platform) and being patient as I re-learned all the Oryx mechanics again
(I slowly raised my light level between each time we had an event - I hate crucible but I finished The Mountaintop and playing alot of Iron Banner helped gain gear too)

Sorry for the confusion on that bombs location. I was partially responsible for that one, in a big way.

I still need the Oryx fragment and can't wait to get that one done. Should be a breeze now. Hopefully there will be an event for that. I'm not that good but I'd be glad to help anyone left that needs the hard mode complete.

I also need the Golgoroth Challenge when it comes around again. I'll probably make an event for that, but will need someone to lead it up.

I'm sure we can do that in a few weeks.

I was along for a VoG or Crota run along time ago with the Deeply flawed raiders and have always considered myself an honorary member. After running Oryx a bunch of times hopefully I have bolstered my honorary status :)

Man, you were awesome! You predictably sacrificed yourself to the shade (and rez'd) and never failed to call out the knights--I'm sure the latter alone saved us from at least a dozen wipes. You're always welcome, but not just because you did a good job. We accept and expect mistakes.

Thanks Ottermack!!!

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Saturday, July 30, 2016, 04:35 (2820 days ago) @ Kermit
edited by Pyromancy, Saturday, July 30, 2016, 04:41

... I still need the Oryx fragment and can't wait to get that one done. Should be a breeze now. Hopefully there will be an event for that. I'm not that good but I'd be glad to help anyone left that needs the hard mode complete.

I'm sure we can do that in a few weeks

Thanks Ottermack for sitting in last week to help lead the charge to the hard mode win.

And for sitting out tonight. Sorry you were probably all ready to go and then I ducked in.
I was able to get my missing fragment! - hopefully you had it already (pretty sure you probably did)
It meant alot to be able to finish off that fragment as we have been working at it(in hard mode) for weeks.

One more fragment to go. Golgoroth challenge I'm after you.

congrats!

by Oholiab @, Tuesday, July 26, 2016, 17:45 (2823 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

by Bigarm41, Thursday, July 28, 2016, 11:51 (2821 days ago) @ Kermit

Yay! Can I second the hard mode request? Haven't beaten Oryx on it yet. Also still need the challenge mode...picked an unfortunate time to go to the beach, I guess!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, July 28, 2016, 13:07 (2821 days ago) @ Bigarm41

Yay! Can I second the hard mode request? Haven't beaten Oryx on it yet. Also still need the challenge mode...picked an unfortunate time to go to the beach, I guess!

No worries. We'll help you get it.

We did learn definitively that you can't get the challenge fragment unless it's challenge week, but in a way that takes the pressure off. We can execute the challenge on normal and do hard mode as sloppily as we need to.

You can get the fragment from the challenge in normal mode?

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, July 28, 2016, 15:11 (2821 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

Yes.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Thursday, July 28, 2016, 15:14 (2821 days ago) @ kidtsunami

- No text -

I've Been Screaming That At My Teammates For Months. lol

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Thursday, July 28, 2016, 16:32 (2821 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

Say whaaaaaaaaat?

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Sunday, July 31, 2016, 19:12 (2818 days ago) @ CyberKN

That makes a huge difference (to me). I haven't done HM since release. Took us roughly 13 hours, and I swore it off.
Maybe there's a chance for me after all.

I find challenge oryx is the easier way to do it

by Durandal, Thursday, July 28, 2016, 17:13 (2821 days ago) @ Kermit

No running, every round is the same till the final round. The challenge mode really trains people to play the encounter correctly.

I never did like the "no knight" strategies and various cheese. It was always too haphazard, but pick up groups would insist because the players were too fearful to remain on the plates and snipe/shoot things, and the relic runners took too long.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, July 28, 2016, 18:37 (2821 days ago) @ Durandal

No running, every round is the same till the final round. The challenge mode really trains people to play the encounter correctly.

I agree, but several times we screwed up the challenge (missing bombs, etc.) and wiped when we could have continued and killed Oryx. That's what I meant when I said the pressure is off on hard mode if we get the challenge fragment on normal mode.

I never did like the "no knight" strategies and various cheese. It was always too haphazard, but pick up groups would insist because the players were too fearful to remain on the plates and snipe/shoot things, and the relic runners took too long.

No knight? How?

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Thursday, July 28, 2016, 18:45 (2821 days ago) @ Kermit
edited by CyberKN, Thursday, July 28, 2016, 18:48

No knight? How?

I've never heard of this before either, but it sounds like you leave the ogres alive until after you stun Oryx. The people responsible for normally killing the ogres just have to keep them aggro'ed so they don't shoot the people on the plates. After stunning oryx, everyone kills all the ogres and immediately runs to detonate the bombs.

Looks nightmarishly difficult. Maybe this was more appealing when the teleporting ogres glitch was still in effect.

Durr...

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, July 29, 2016, 14:02 (2820 days ago) @ Kermit
edited by Kermit, Friday, July 29, 2016, 14:30

That moment when you realize that your hunter is the only character close to having all the fragments, and you got the hard mode fragment on your titan.

EDIT: Wait, there is no fragment for defeating Oryx on hard mode, is there? I could have sworn I got one. Double durr.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread