Rest In Peace to The Obsidian Mind. (Destiny)

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Friday, August 19, 2016, 00:30 (2779 days ago)

It used to be O.G. Now it's just 'Oh, please.'

As a Titan who has never used it

by Avateur @, Friday, August 19, 2016, 00:38 (2779 days ago) @ Morpheus

I always liked the way it looked, and I always had fun watching friends who play Warlocks who were wearing it. I don't know what shortcomings it has now. I guess you have a point since I hardly see anyone I know playing with it.

Weird

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, August 19, 2016, 00:55 (2779 days ago) @ Avateur

I've just realized the last few sessions of PvE have been with Nothing Manacles instead. Guess the Energy Drain buff is way too good to let slide.

Still, sharding the Obsidian Mind is downright insanity in my point of view.

Rest In Peace to The Obsidian Mind.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, August 19, 2016, 01:13 (2779 days ago) @ Morpheus

Not sure what this means. Is something else better? Do you just have more than one Obsidian Mind?

I don't get it.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Friday, August 19, 2016, 01:21 (2779 days ago) @ Morpheus

- No text -

Obsidian=No More Good. Was Good. Is Now Bad.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Friday, August 19, 2016, 04:49 (2779 days ago) @ CyberKN

When Obsidian was used to clear a room, you'd be rewarded an instant recharge--if you killed enough people.

Now we can't even get half the amount for killing even more enemies.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Friday, August 19, 2016, 09:36 (2779 days ago) @ Morpheus

When Obsidian was used to clear a room, you'd be rewarded an instant recharge--if you killed enough people.

Now we can't even get half the amount for killing even more enemies.

You must be doing it wrong? I can still manage instant recharge in the right places, though I'll admit that's less often than before. With the buff to supers, this thing still wrecks.

So what you are saying is...

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, August 19, 2016, 11:25 (2779 days ago) @ Morpheus

...it's just not OP anymore? Because getting a full super from a previous super is incredibly OP in my mind (haha, get it?). Even getting half a super from a previous super is amazing.

So what you are saying is...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, August 19, 2016, 11:50 (2779 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

...it's just not OP anymore? Because getting a full super from a previous super is incredibly OP in my mind (haha, get it?). Even getting half a super from a previous super is amazing.

Yeah. It kind of made the conflux section in VoG a joke. Before you had to plan a teeny bit and leave orbs for the legions of fanatics, but with obsidian mind you could just repeatedly nova bomb the stairwell almost on your own.

You still can

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, August 19, 2016, 12:21 (2778 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Way too many majors down there. :)

Same with Undying Mind Vex staircase and boss adds.

Honestly, it's not as OP as before, but still quite relevant, IMO. What did change a lot, as I've stated before, is the major boost to Energy Drain, which makes Voidwalkers grenade-chugging gods now.

You still can

by SonofMacPhisto @, Friday, August 19, 2016, 12:37 (2778 days ago) @ ZackDark

major boost to Energy Drain, which makes Voidwalkers grenade-chugging gods now.

What? When did this happen?

One or two updates ago

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, August 19, 2016, 12:45 (2778 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto
edited by ZackDark, Friday, August 19, 2016, 13:01

With the right build and Nothing Manacles, you can keep your grenade charged as long as you keep killing fools. With Trickle edit: Catapult, even without the perfect build it's insanity. Downside is you need Embrace the Void, so no exploding fools left and right. :(

One or two updates ago

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, August 19, 2016, 12:48 (2778 days ago) @ ZackDark

That's all I run anymore. If catapult is also on I can clear the room in CoE with just scatter grenades. They recharge faster than I can throw them.

I meant Catapult too. Stupid Zack.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, August 19, 2016, 13:02 (2778 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

But yeah, never noticed the animation cooldown before

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, August 19, 2016, 13:09 (2778 days ago) @ bluerunner

Even if it has a charge, my Warlock won't throw again until a few frames after the "ready" animation is over. Slightly frustrating, especially when I'm relying on the health regen to keep me alive.

One or two updates ago

by SonofMacPhisto @, Friday, August 19, 2016, 13:12 (2778 days ago) @ ZackDark

Downside is you need Embrace the Void, so no exploding fools left and right. :(

WHAT? BAH. BAH HUMBUG I SAY.

One or two updates ago

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Friday, August 19, 2016, 18:10 (2778 days ago) @ ZackDark

With the right build and Nothing Manacles, you can keep your grenade charged as long as you keep killing fools. With Trickle edit: Catapult, even without the perfect build it's insanity. Downside is you need Embrace the Void, so no exploding fools left and right. :(

That's true. But Nothing Manacles is getting on my nerves, too. I throw a Scatter nade at an enemy, and I'd say about a third of the scatter particles actually track. It's become lazy! Honestly, if Bloom wasn't included in the Voidwalker tree, I'd have another gif with me deleting the Manacles.

Scatter Grenades are finicky

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Sunday, August 21, 2016, 03:48 (2777 days ago) @ Morpheus

That's true. But Nothing Manacles is getting on my nerves, too. I throw a Scatter nade at an enemy, and I'd say about a third of the scatter particles actually track. It's become lazy! Honestly, if Bloom wasn't included in the Voidwalker tree, I'd have another gif with me deleting the Manacles.

I’ve been running Nothing Manacles + Scatter Grenades + Bloom for a while now with some success and I completely agree with your comment. The tracking result is wildly unpredictable; sometimes the grenade seems to fizzle out, and other times the entire swarm hunts down the opponent and wrecks them. I have found that for greatest effect, I need to either hit the enemy directly with the grenade or have it go off right at their feet; there’s not a lot of margin of error, though, so close hits don’t quite do the trick.

Made this to convince Breitzen to try out the build:

Scatter Grenades are finicky

by ProbablyLast, Monday, August 22, 2016, 20:59 (2775 days ago) @ Beorn

My favorite is when the scatter grenade decides to bounce before going off. Those are fun times.

No exploading fools!? No dice!

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Saturday, August 20, 2016, 00:53 (2778 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, August 19, 2016, 11:35 (2779 days ago) @ Morpheus

Huh? Did they even change it?

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, August 19, 2016, 11:56 (2778 days ago) @ stabbim

I certainly don't remember hearing about any changes.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, August 19, 2016, 12:04 (2778 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I certainly don't remember hearing about any changes.

An indirect nerf, I think. They did this thing where your Super has a hidden cooldown meter that reduces the amount of Super energy that you get at a time. If your Super fills up too quickly, you get less energy in return (picking up an orb when you first start playing will fill your Super up by a large chunk. Pop your Super, and the next orb that you pick up will give you considerably less). It's one of those minor annoyances, but I can see how it nerfed Obsidian Mind and Bad Juju the way that the Gear stat nerf hit Heart of the Praxic Fire.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, August 19, 2016, 16:52 (2778 days ago) @ Korny

If your Super fills up too quickly, you get less energy in return (picking up an orb when you first start playing will fill your Super up by a large chunk. Pop your Super, and the next orb that you pick up will give you considerably less).

I am pretty sure that you get the same amount of super form orbs each time. The difference is that there are big and small orbs. Small orbs fill less, big ones more. The game tracks how much of your super energy has been filled by orbs and abilities vs other methods. If the majority of your super was filed with orbs, then kills with your super generate small orbs. Otherwise, they make big orbs. Things like getting orbs off of perks I think are always big orbs.

You can see the difference if you look at them.

Mind. Blown.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, August 19, 2016, 17:09 (2778 days ago) @ Cody Miller

If your Super fills up too quickly, you get less energy in return (picking up an orb when you first start playing will fill your Super up by a large chunk. Pop your Super, and the next orb that you pick up will give you considerably less).

I am pretty sure that you get the same amount of super form orbs each time. The difference is that there are big and small orbs. Small orbs fill less, big ones more. The game tracks how much of your super energy has been filled by orbs and abilities vs other methods. If the majority of your super was filed with orbs, then kills with your super generate small orbs. Otherwise, they make big orbs. Things like getting orbs off of perks I think are always big orbs.

I had no idea.

Mind. Blown.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, August 19, 2016, 18:12 (2778 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV
edited by Cody Miller, Friday, August 19, 2016, 18:17

I had no idea.

Between things like this and people not knowing how Salvage scoring works, I think Bungie might have a bit of problem with the clarity and discoverability of their game systems.

Seems to me like every player should know exactly how the individual systems work, but not necessarily how to combine or exploit them. That's up to them to discover :-)

You can describe how every weapon works and how to do every move in Vanquish, but very few players would be able to them put that together and play like this.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread