Destiny ViDoc: Pathways Out of Darkness

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 09:55 (4084 days ago)

Pathways Into Darkness

by Atsumi ⌂, Jefferson City, MO, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 09:56 (4084 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Beat me to it!

by kanbo @, Seattle, WA, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 10:03 (4084 days ago) @ Grizzlei

[image]

There's going to be so much fighting and adventuring and shooting and flying and shoulder pads and I can hardly stand it.

by Chaos, Burlington, Vermont, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 10:06 (4084 days ago) @ Grizzlei

This is going to be a very exciting several months my friends.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 10:08 (4084 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Ralph McQuarrie would be proud. I very much like what I see.

This

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 10:14 (4084 days ago) @ Kermit

so much this!

+1 *NM*

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, February 17, 2013, 14:15 (4084 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 10:17 (4084 days ago) @ Kermit

Ralph McQuarrie would be proud. I very much like what I see.

There's definitely a great hint of retro and classic sci-fi influences to temper the newness. :)

Welp, you have my attention Bungie. *NM*

by HawaiianPig, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 10:08 (4084 days ago) @ Grizzlei

"Shared world" eh?

Welp, you have my attention Bungie. *NM*

by mnemesis, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 10:19 (4084 days ago) @ HawaiianPig

"Shared world" eh?

Is your body ready?

by TDSpiral ⌂ @, TDS Gaming Shack, WA, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 10:09 (4084 days ago) @ Grizzlei

I've only seen the video once, but I'm still little confused as to what kind of game it is. Or at least, what it's sorta like. Looks like there's different planets and ships and stuff, so that sounds really cool.

Either way, I loved the concept art and gameplay stuff- looks amazing :)

by thebruce ⌂, Ontario, Canada, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 10:14 (4084 days ago) @ TDSpiral

Seems like their idea for the game is very similar to the goals of Defiance - very simply, open persistent world FPS... but not. Or something..

Surprisingly, my favorite parts...

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 10:23 (4084 days ago) @ Grizzlei

... were not the beautiful art and hints of an amazing universe and series of games - it was just hearing the grizzled ancients like Jason Jones and Joe Staten talk excitedly about a new game. A host of goosebumps overtakes me and I'm instantly transported back to those fun years of anticipation and excitement waiting for Halo 2 and 3.

I'm ready to do it again. :)

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 10:25 (4084 days ago) @ Leviathan

... were not the beautiful art and hints of an amazing universe and series of games - it was just hearing the grizzled ancients like Jason Jones and Joe Staten talk excitedly about a new game. A host of goosebumps overtakes me and I'm instantly transported back to those fun years of anticipation and excitement waiting for Halo 2 and 3.

There's nothing sweeter than Bungie talking so excitedly about their new baby. Plus its always nice to see the head unicorn-in-charge at Bungie poke his head out.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 10:34 (4084 days ago) @ Leviathan

I'm ready to do it again. :)

I'm just glad I don't have to wait as long as I did for Halo 1

by minasodaboy ⌂ @, Madison, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 10:42 (4084 days ago) @ Grizzlei

This is all sounds fantastic and exactly what I was hoping it would be.

So Bungie stops making Halo, to make more Halo?

by RC ⌂, UK, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 10:43 (4084 days ago) @ Grizzlei

What a rip off.

So Bungie stops making Halo, to make more Halo?

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 10:47 (4084 days ago) @ RC

What a rip off.

[image]

Full of happies *NM*

by Arithmomaniac ⌂ @, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 10:48 (4084 days ago) @ Grizzlei

how do I do this for real, again?

Be bold. *NM*

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 11:11 (4084 days ago) @ Arithmomaniac

Oh boy, Oh boy.... Ohhhhh booooy!!!!

by LostSpartan, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 10:49 (4084 days ago) @ Grizzlei

My body is more than ready. It's so ready it's almost not! (also this place is so fancy :])

A few interesting gameplay screencaps *IMGS*

by TestPleaseIgnore, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 10:54 (4084 days ago) @ Grizzlei
    edited by TestPleaseIgnore, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 11:54

[image]

Showing what appear to be game modes:

The City: Some sort of social hub?
    Chapter 3: Singleplayer, probably displaying campaign progress.
    Bounty: Unknown, some sort of weekly challenge. 3 stars to indicate different "levels" of challenge / reward?
    Strike: This is probably the competitive multiplayer.
    Raid: PvE content? The word "raid" implies WoW-style guild raiding to me.
    Faction Wars: Unknown, perhaps Guild vs Guild battles or some sort of World vs World?

Edit:
    Parties now appear to be called Squads, and can contain up to 6 players.
    Each player has a level or rank.
    Each player belongs to a Guild / Clan.

[image]

The City!

Getting a strong MMO vibe from these shots.

[image]

City courtyard close up.

[image]

Close up of robotic character with a long rifle.

[image]

Forested singleplayer level.

[image]

Another shot of same. Unclear how much is playable space and how much is skybox, but it looks as if the level could extend at least to the next hill in the background.

Player character visible in lower foreground.

Edit: could be this level? concept art

[image]

Unsure if this is the same level or a different one, but appears to show off 3 player coop.

Also interesting to note the Lobby in the first screenshot only had 3 players in as well. Could be coincidence or perhaps 3 player coop is the max.
    Edit: Potentially discredited due to Lobby showing 3/6 players. Possible 6 player coop?

[image]

Close up of coop partners.

Edit: Seems to suggest Bungie are sticking to their "carry only two weapons at once" mantra. Both players visible are carrying a Primary weapon and have a Secondary slung on their backs.

A few interesting gameplay screencaps *IMGS*

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 11:04 (4084 days ago) @ TestPleaseIgnore

I really like those starfighter designs and that sniper drone has some MJOLNIR-y looking armor.

So, Bungie likes the screen-space godrays, too.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 12:30 (4084 days ago) @ Grizzlei

What is with this craze? They work for some scenes, but dropping them all over the place and across huge areas of sky is the most obnoxious, cheap way to make a game look more polished ever. Can't compete with PC levels of detail? No problem, just hide that fact behind a sea of hazy blotches swimming all over the image!

I really, really hope it's not as intrusive as that video makes it look. Halo 4's visual makeup is not my cup of tea. Give me some skyboxes with substance behind them, and not skyboxes that hide the substance of the whole image.

Maybe they'll build contrast by doing different things in different atmospheres? I want to feel stuff like this again.

:/

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 15:21 (4082 days ago) @ Grizzlei

I had stuff I either wanted or needed to get out of the way for most of last week, and then I took a while to catch up on Destiny. I put figures in Alphalupi starting Saturday evening and registered here on Sunday. I just now got around to watching the vidoc, and... I don't know what'll come up later, but for now, I feel good about this.

Back to the forum index
    RSS Feed of thread