Site feedback and bug reporting.

by ncsuDuncan @, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 11:12 (4075 days ago)

If you find any bugs on the frontpage or forums, please leave a message here and we'll see what we can do to fix it.

Please include as many details as you can so we can figure out exactly what the issue is.

Thanks!

Forum: Visited link color ages/wears out

by scarab @, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 11:23 (4075 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

Purple reverts to blue over time, goads me to reread old posts so I don't miss new ones.

Is it an age thing or a limit on the number of read links stored?

by thebruce ⌂, Ontario, Canada, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 12:28 (4075 days ago) @ scarab

Purple reverts to blue over time, goads me to reread old posts so I don't miss new ones.

Good, it's not just me! I thought maybe the ID was changing due to an update, but I guess if it's stored in cookies or expiring data on the server, it's unavoidable.

Why not let the browser also allow visited links to be retained?
eg, don't override the a:visited css declaration; set its style to be the same as the explicit a.read class?

by scarab @, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 12:45 (4075 days ago) @ thebruce

Good, it's not just me! I thought maybe the ID was changing due to an update, but I guess if it's stored in cookies or expiring data on the server, it's unavoidable.

Your visited links are shared across machines and platforms so I assume that they are held on the server. The server wont have infinite space.

eg, don't override the a:visited css declaration; set its style to be the same as the explicit a.read class?

I don't know what that is but I imagine if they don't know if a link has been visited (no info on server) then maybe they can fall back to the browser.

by thebruce ⌂, Ontario, Canada, Monday, February 18, 2013, 02:52 (4075 days ago) @ scarab

Your visited links are shared across machines and platforms so I assume that they are held on the server. The server wont have infinite space.

Yeah, not sure why I said cookies there :P They are server-held to be cross machine, and forcefully expired after a certain length to save space (why store potentially years of visited links?) Yet, the server might not even break a sweat at a week, or at least a few days...

I don't know what that is but I imagine if they don't know if a link has been visited (no info on server) then maybe they can fall back to the browser.

Looks like Wu tried that but the css wasn't optimal (borked the whole site). I'd be more than willing to examine the setup myself :)

by Claude Errera @, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 13:12 (4075 days ago) @ thebruce

Huh. I tried this - it broke ALL colors. Switched back now.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, February 17, 2013, 14:23 (4075 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I think the "read" state is expiring server-side, which in turn updates client-side.

Dunno. Makes sense to me, considering "read" states get carried over multiple devices.

by thebruce ⌂, Ontario, Canada, Monday, February 18, 2013, 02:48 (4075 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Huh. I tried this - it broke ALL colors. Switched back now.

Try
ul.thread a.read, ul.thread a:visited
Or wherever 'a.read' is defined, add 'ul.thread a:visited'
That should apply to only a links in the thread display instead of site-wide...

by Arbitor5 ⌂, United Kingdom, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 11:26 (4075 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

I think the site looks great. Nice work guys!

Front page: Can we have RSS?

by Arithmomaniac ⌂ @, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 11:44 (4075 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

On a completely unrelated note, it will probably take another 3 years before I get used to this "Claude Errera" guy.

Front page: Can we have RSS?

by Claude Errera @, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 13:13 (4075 days ago) @ Arithmomaniac

RSS is coming. Shouldn't be too hard to set up - just haven't gotten to it. ;)

by Mix ⌂ @, New Braunfels, Texas, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 12:02 (4075 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

I don't like the way the front page scrolls. Kinda makes me feel sick? Idk why.

CSS suggestion for you...

by Arithmomaniac ⌂ @, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 12:35 (4075 days ago) @ Mix

#newsheader {position: relative !important;}

Note that this is only a partial fix, as the Destiny.Bungie.Org title box at the top of the pages is part of the background image.

by b.org admin @, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 13:15 (4075 days ago) @ Arithmomaniac

#newsheader {position: relative !important;}

Note that this is only a partial fix, as the Destiny.Bungie.Org title box at the top of the pages is part of the background image.

Um... this isn't really a fix at all. The reason that's not relative is because the news is SUPPOSED to disappear before it hits actual content above it, while scrolling. Otherwise, it just looks messy.

by Arithmomaniac ⌂ @, Monday, February 18, 2013, 04:58 (4075 days ago) @ b.org admin

It solves the original problem - things scroll off the top of the screen. I said that wasn't perfect, but specific users might be willing to make the tradeoff.

by thebruce ⌂, Ontario, Canada, Monday, February 18, 2013, 07:18 (4075 days ago) @ Arithmomaniac

It solves the original problem - things scroll off the top of the screen. I said that wasn't perfect, but specific users might be willing to make the tradeoff.

Can you depict what exactly it is you mean? Things are supposed to scroll off the screen... =/ On the front page, the text in the white region scrolls and disappears under the header which remains static as you scroll. Is that not what's happening for you? And if so, what's your browser? (that can help whoever programs to determine if there's a compatibility problem)

by Arithmomaniac ⌂ @, Monday, February 18, 2013, 07:58 (4075 days ago) @ thebruce

Sorry for being confusing. It works fine!

Mix said he did not like the scrolling behavior - presumably the fact that only a box on the page is scrolling, instead of the whole center. That line of CSS fixes that, but (as admin mentioned) at the cost of the top of the pages being obstructed by text.

by davidfuchs ⌂, USA, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 13:06 (4075 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

Just an aesthetic thing, I really love the header image but the abrupt white frame for the news feels a bit off. Maybe you could add a gradient wipe to ease into the content area? (Whether by extending the frame up further or dropping the opacity of the frame towards the top.) Looking nice otherwise.

by Claude Errera @, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 13:17 (4075 days ago) @ davidfuchs

Just an aesthetic thing, I really love the header image but the abrupt white frame for the news feels a bit off. Maybe you could add a gradient wipe to ease into the content area? (Whether by extending the frame up further or dropping the opacity of the frame towards the top.) Looking nice otherwise.

I played with this a little, last week - I found it made the reading at the top quite a bit harder. :(

It's possible I just didn't do a good job; if you wanted to mock something up, I'd be happy to look into integrating it! :)

by thebruce ⌂, Ontario, Canada, Monday, February 18, 2013, 03:01 (4075 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Maybe you could add a gradient wipe to ease into the content area? (Whether by extending the frame up further or dropping the opacity of the frame towards the top.)

I played with this a little, last week - I found it made the reading at the top quite a bit harder. :(

It's possible I just didn't do a good job; if you wanted to mock something up, I'd be happy to look into integrating it! :)

Sort of like the shade/shadow I dropped into my iOS bg -

[image]

Just needs a small translucent PNG fixed at the top of the white news block. Doesn't have to be big, but would certainly help pop the news block our from the template

[image]

by Daedalos42, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 14:46 (4075 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

The site is great! The only problem I have is how the posts don't show the poster's username beside it like on HBO.

But... they do...

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, February 17, 2013, 15:21 (4075 days ago) @ Daedalos42

- No text -

Not for each individual poster

by Daedalos42, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 15:25 (4075 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

I have no idea of what you're talking about...

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, February 17, 2013, 15:26 (4075 days ago) @ Daedalos42

I wouldn't be offended if you drew it, by the way.

Not for each individual poster

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 15:28 (4075 days ago) @ Daedalos42

Are you perhaps using the Table View? The Threaded view has the name of each poster right after the title of their message while Table View only has it for each topic starter…

Oh, okay, thanks. :)

by Daedalos42, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 15:30 (4075 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

So is Table View bugged, or is it intended ?

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Monday, February 18, 2013, 03:42 (4075 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Is it an intended design for Table View to not show the "author" of any comments? It seems like only the OP is listed in the Author column, and everything else is blank.

I see that it uses a table layout with each thread being contained in a single row. The "thread" itself is one cell in the row using a <ul> to create the threaded view.

I guess this would suggest that it's an intended design, and if so, that's fine. I'm just curious...

I was going to say there's no *NM*, but it's been fixed *NT*

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 18:51 (4073 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

- No text -

Frontpage suggestion

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, February 23, 2013, 22:58 (4069 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

EDIT: Sorry for reviving such a large thread! =P

. Move the RSS button to the right, giving the search bar space to move up (the button occupies exactly 20 pixels in full HD), expanding the permanent real estate for the news section. I think it might be necessary to increase the width of the page to keep with the current design, not sure.

. Also, move the date up (about to the same height as the search bar is now) and keep it out of the scroll-able part. That way it is always apparent which news day you are reading even if it is a very busy day (long scrolls). It would also increase initial vertical space for the news, which would reduce the amount of scrolling (by very little, though).

Frontpage suggestion

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Sunday, February 24, 2013, 21:16 (4068 days ago) @ ZackDark

Definitely good suggestions. The header and the area above the news feed actually has quite a bit more planned for it!

Just got to get this Errerra guy to quite clubb'n every night, sheesh.

Frontpage suggestion

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, February 24, 2013, 21:25 (4068 days ago) @ Leviathan

Just got to get this Errerra guy to quite clubb'n every night, sheesh.

At least he owns the joint.

Post Blocked?

by breitzen @, Kansas, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 18:50 (4066 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

I made a destiny wallpaper, a made a post with a link to the image but the forum auto-blocked it. (sad face) :(

So probably not really a bug unless it has to do with linking to imgur.
Just though I'd let you guys know!

Frontpage lacking Fan Fic link

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, April 03, 2013, 19:32 (4030 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

Title pretty much self-explanatory.

I'm sure you guys know of it already, but since we have this thread, why not use it? Also, having it written down helps keep things documented, one way or the other.

Cheers.

Frontpage lacking Fan Fic link

by TTL Demag0gue ⌂ @, Within the shadow of the Traveler, Wednesday, April 03, 2013, 19:39 (4030 days ago) @ ZackDark

Yup, top men are on it.

Also, Claude.

(What? Too soon?)

Heh.

by ncsuDuncan @, Wednesday, April 03, 2013, 19:53 (4030 days ago) @ ZackDark

We're on it. :)

It might not be apparent, but the Fan Fiction page is actually running an entirely different content management system (hence the WordPress comments) - TTL Demag0gue did a fantastic job of matching the DBO site design.

Heh.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, April 03, 2013, 20:31 (4030 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

He did fool me completely there, I gotta admit.

Belated April Fools?

by TTL Demag0gue ⌂ @, Within the shadow of the Traveler, Thursday, April 04, 2013, 06:52 (4030 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

Heh

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, April 04, 2013, 07:21 (4030 days ago) @ TTL Demag0gue

The best April Fool's joke someone pulled on me was college classes resuming that day... Poetic, some might say.

Risking being called a nitpicker...

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, April 04, 2013, 19:09 (4029 days ago) @ ZackDark

The font of the drop-down menus on the Fan Fic page and the Front Page are not quite the same.

Again, not important at all, just an observation for future maintenance roundups.

Nitpicker...

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Friday, April 05, 2013, 06:16 (4029 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

Oh, you

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, April 05, 2013, 06:40 (4029 days ago) @ JDQuackers

- No text -

Risking being called a nitpicker...

by TTL Demag0gue ⌂ @, Within the shadow of the Traveler, Friday, April 05, 2013, 08:22 (4029 days ago) @ ZackDark

Burdens of running two different CMS side-by-side -- there are always going to be a few minor things here and there that don't quite match, especially as changes in design occur on one side or the other. On that note, I have done some more fiddling with the FF design this morning, so things should look a little more similar to the front page now.

Weekly Mailsack/Update Archive?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, April 05, 2013, 12:51 (4028 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

Any plans on making a Weekly Mailsack/Update archive like HBO did/does? Only reason I ask is at work Bungie.net is blocked, but DBO isn't, so it'd be nice to be able to look them up at work!

by Claude Errera @, Saturday, April 06, 2013, 16:46 (4027 days ago) @ Xenos

Any plans on making a Weekly Mailsack/Update archive like HBO did/does? Only reason I ask is at work Bungie.net is blocked, but DBO isn't, so it'd be nice to be able to look them up at work!

Huh... interesting. There weren't any plans for this - but I guess I don't see a reason NOT to. Not sure when I can get to it, though. :(

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Saturday, April 06, 2013, 17:01 (4027 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Don't worry Claude, I am patient, don't mean to make life more stressful :)

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread