Destiny weapon profiles: the red death

by GrimBrother IV, Thursday, August 15, 2013, 10:38 (3900 days ago)

Encouraging!

by kapowaz, Thursday, August 15, 2013, 10:45 (3900 days ago) @ GrimBrother IV

That's more like it. I'd like to see more of this kind of stuff: concepts, prototypes, works in progress, all under the banner of MIGHT NEVER BE RELEASED. This game is bound to have masses of stuff that doesn't make it into the released game, but that shouldn't stop it from being shared.

Bravo!

Encouraging!

by GrimBrother IV, Thursday, August 15, 2013, 16:24 (3900 days ago) @ kapowaz

Absolutely! This stuff jazzes new up like mad, one of my favorite kinds of ancillary stuff.

Encouraging!

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Friday, August 16, 2013, 06:57 (3899 days ago) @ kapowaz
edited by General Vagueness, Friday, August 16, 2013, 07:01

That's more like it. I'd like to see more of this kind of stuff: concepts, prototypes, works in progress, all under the banner of MIGHT NEVER BE RELEASED. This game is bound to have masses of stuff that doesn't make it into the released game, but that shouldn't stop it from being shared.

If it's risky, I think it should stop it from being shared, at least any time soon. Do you remember the disappointment about Halo 2? Heck, you don't even need to remember, you can go and find recent stuff about how the game didn't match with its pre-release stuff. Do you remember how they talked about how the game after Halo 3 could've been about a Sangheili spec-ops team? I like ODST, but I still wonder if I would've liked that more. A probably better reason would be, well, do you remember how they mentioned (several times I think) cut material being in later games? Showing it to us would take away the surprise if it shows up later. Of course, they could just show the stuff they don't have any intention of trying to include again, but that seems kind of like teasing us.
As for stuff that will be in the game, barring something very unlikely, I would like to see more-- and now we are seeing more, so I'm good. That is to say, I'm happy and pretty satisfied.

They also added language preferences today!

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, August 15, 2013, 11:46 (3900 days ago) @ GrimBrother IV

- No text -

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, August 15, 2013, 11:53 (3900 days ago) @ GrimBrother IV

This is just one weapon in an ongoing series in which we'll dig into the finer details of our upcoming first person shooter, and explore how every element shapes the brave new world where your adventure will take place. All items, details, names, and pieces of random trivia are subject to change or total obliteration.

That makes me exited!

P.S.

Love that First Person view:

[image]

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Friday, August 16, 2013, 07:02 (3899 days ago) @ Xenos

This is just one weapon in an ongoing series in which we'll dig into the finer details of our upcoming first person shooter, and explore how every element shapes the brave new world where your adventure will take place. All items, details, names, and pieces of random trivia are subject to change or total obliteration.

That makes me exited!

P.S.

Love that First Person view:

[image]

I don't like the aesthetics on the screen; the rest is fine. Did anyone else notice the little red spikes? I wonder if there's any significance to them.

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Saturday, August 17, 2013, 10:58 (3898 days ago) @ General Vagueness

Did anyone else notice the little red spikes? I wonder if there's any significance to them.

Obviously for extra evisceration during melee strikes. Obviously.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, August 17, 2013, 22:33 (3897 days ago) @ General Vagueness

I don't like the aesthetics on the screen; the rest is fine. Did anyone else notice the little red spikes? I wonder if there's any significance to them.

It's Bungie, so I'm guessing each is a notch for another mom blammed.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Thursday, August 15, 2013, 13:16 (3900 days ago) @ GrimBrother IV

It's truly bizarre that I post Mayflower's first weapon article the same day as Destiny, hours beforehand. They must be paying attention, want'n to see how I make my millions...

Reminds me of a Firefly Reaver weapon.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Thursday, August 15, 2013, 13:39 (3900 days ago) @ GrimBrother IV

- No text -

Only, you know, a gun and not a brutal bladed weapon?

by Phoenix_9286 @, Thursday, August 15, 2013, 13:46 (3900 days ago) @ Leviathan

- No text -

Looks like a brutal, bladed weapon to me...

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Thursday, August 15, 2013, 13:53 (3900 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

- No text -

Customizable weapons

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Thursday, August 15, 2013, 19:08 (3899 days ago) @ GrimBrother IV

“This is a weapon that was taken from a fallen Guardian. The new owner had it repainted and modded - the optics were even hacked with new graphics.”

Hmmm, I wonder if we'll be able to do the same thing with the more readily available weapons

Customizable weapons

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, August 15, 2013, 19:24 (3899 days ago) @ Mr Daax

One more raid until I can buy the new cooler looking holographic optics for my gun?

It's oddly appealing! :)

Customizable weapons

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Thursday, August 15, 2013, 20:38 (3899 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Are there any games that do this kind of customization for blade weapons? I'd love to custom-forge my own sword in Skyrim, choosing the hilt, blade shape, etc...

Customizable weapons

by GrimBrother IV, Friday, August 16, 2013, 03:42 (3899 days ago) @ Leviathan

Dont even get me started on how freaking sick that would be

NsU Recommends!

by NsU Soldier @, Washington, Friday, August 16, 2013, 12:26 (3899 days ago) @ Leviathan
edited by NsU Soldier, Friday, August 16, 2013, 12:49

Today on NsU Recommends...

"Are there any games that do this kind of customization for blade weapons? I'd love to custom-forge my own sword in Skyrim, choosing the hilt, blade shape, etc..."

Custom building weapons from parts? What have I played that did that?!?!

*40 minutes later (no exaggeration)*

Right!

I remember there was such a system in the PS1 RPG Vagrant Story. You could combine the hilts and blades of various weapons to get either a better version of said weapon, or an entirely new weapon altogether. You could also do similar things with armor. (You could even name your custom creations!)

Vagrant Story is a bit of a 3D dungeon crawl, with a lot of tactical combat elements and character progression choices thrown in. It also stressed replayability as you could build your equipment and your skills into some pretty unique roles.

I never got too far in that game as a youth as I lacked patience to learn its intricate game systems. I desperately want to give it a second shot however once I started watching some Let's Plays of it. This game looks like it was a labor of love.

NsU Recommends!

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Friday, August 16, 2013, 12:54 (3899 days ago) @ NsU Soldier

I never got too far in that game as a youth as I lacked patience to learn its intricate game systems. I desperately want to give it a second shot however once I started watching some Let's Plays of it. This game looks like it was a labor of love.

Hah, I remember having the same experience when I rented it a long time ago (I think I was swayed into choosing it from the pretty cover art).

Unique game, for sure; hard as shit in 5th grade...

No! Bad memories from Reach - black visor

by scarab @, Sunday, August 18, 2013, 12:33 (3897 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I got my black visor then stopped playing.

But that's my problem. You carry on :-)

I think I'm going to love this game...

by NsU Soldier @, Washington, Thursday, August 15, 2013, 20:49 (3899 days ago) @ GrimBrother IV

Is it christmas already? http://www.bungie.net/7_Destiny-Drawing-Board-Red-Death/en/News/News?aid=11012

“This is a weapon that was taken from a fallen Guardian. The new owner had it repainted and modded - the optics were even hacked with new graphics.”

Does this mean our guns get story tidbits attached to them...?!?!*

*10 out of 10 pineapples agree, that would be amazing.

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Thursday, August 15, 2013, 21:07 (3899 days ago) @ NsU Soldier

Is it christmas already? http://www.bungie.net/7_Destiny-Drawing-Board-Red-Death/en/News/News?aid=11012

Does this mean our guns get story tidbits attached to them...?!?!*

*10 out of 10 pineapples agree, that would be amazing.

I quite like this notion

Hmmm, How about a way for the most Legendary of Players (read: us) to be able to leave a mark (appearance, modifications, tracking->like wheresgeorge.com but for guns on the b-net, data->like Borderlands Red Text?) on their cool old/traded/discarded weapons, for others to receive and discover.

by NsU Soldier @, Washington, Thursday, August 15, 2013, 21:10 (3899 days ago) @ Pyromancy

I quite like this notion, I must be a pineapple?

I'm sorry! I was going to break the news to you more delicately...

Hmmm, How about a way for the most Legendary of Players (read: us)...

I like how you think.

...to be able to leave a mark (appearance, modifications, tracking->like wheresgeorge.com but for guns on the b-net, data->like Borderlands Red Text?) on their cool old/traded/discarded weapons, for others to receive and discover.

I really like how you think.

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Friday, August 16, 2013, 07:26 (3899 days ago) @ NsU Soldier

I quite like this notion, I must be a pineapple?

I'm sorry! I was going to break the news to you more delicately...

Hmmm, How about a way for the most Legendary of Players (read: us)...

I like how you think.

...to be able to leave a mark (appearance, modifications, tracking->like wheresgeorge.com but for guns on the b-net, data->like Borderlands Red Text?) on their cool old/traded/discarded weapons, for others to receive and discover.

I really like how you think.

Hmm... If Bungie doesn't implement this, perhaps I should make a website where you can go and type in the name of a weapon you found. We could track how many other people found that weapon and all kinds of fun stuff. Unfortunately, there would be no way to confirm that you really found it but it could still be fun!

by NsU Soldier @, Washington, Friday, August 16, 2013, 10:45 (3899 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Hmm... If Bungie doesn't implement this, perhaps I should make a website where you can go and type in the name of a weapon you found. We could track how many other people found that weapon and all kinds of fun stuff. Unfortunately, there would be no way to confirm that you really found it but it could still be fun!

That kind of thing would also be cool to see where certain things can/could be acquired.*

*Assuming of course that Bungie doesn't implement a completely random loot system.

by scarab @, Sunday, August 18, 2013, 12:39 (3897 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

There could be if Bungie logs acquisitions/achievements against gamer tag and provides a lookup API or place on BNet to check claims.

If the support is in the game right from the start then people could trust/verify any claims made.

Given Bungie's track record with stats and social feature support and given the highly social nature of Destiny... this sounds like something that they would do.

Each gun has an owner's logbook - like cars

by scarab @, Sunday, August 18, 2013, 12:35 (3897 days ago) @ Pyromancy

Servicing history, previous owners, upgrades and mods listed...

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread