Great Interview With Luke Smith (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, June 13, 2017, 15:40 (2480 days ago)

Here.

Highlights:

Bungie is being careful to make sure new players are welcomed to Destiny 2's story and world:

So for people who’ve never checked this game out for any number of reasons, we wanted Destiny 2 to be a game that you could look at and pick up off the shelf and open up and understand what’s going on and have a great time.

Weapon balance and feel will be tuned separately between console and PC:

I wouldn’t be so quick to make the assumption that we’re going to balance unilaterally. I think that we want to have one design build of Destiny, and the one design build means that we have exotic A and exotic A, and they’re both the same exotic across the builds for the game. But with the specific tunings and the way the guns play in each ecosystem, those are two consumer types with very different needs.

Destiny 2 PC will have text chat and Luke thinks it is a better option for voice chat in some ways:

Because you just have the potential to have your perception of someone ruined, like “oh it’s a kid,” or he sounds like me, a nasally Westerner. That’s not going to be fun to listen to for five hours. But with text chat it’s like frictionless—everyone can sound cool or be cool in text.

Sunsinger, Defender, and Bladedancer are basically gone:

Yes. For all intents and purposes, they’re gone.

Except, the Defender is not quite dead!

The other thing is that I love the Defender Titan, personally. He’s a class fantasy that I really like—and in the team too, oh my gosh the sandbox team feels this way as well. So one of the Sentinel trees actually has the option to, when you cast your super, you can press and hold the super activation and you’ll place a Ward of Dawn instead.

(Makes you wonder what Subclass Zavala is actually playing in Homecoming.)

In Destiny 2, Bungie will have a greater ability to more easily edit the stats of individual weapons:

We have some different tools at our disposal for Destiny 2 because of the way we’ve built the weapons. We’re actually going to be able to do some different types of modifications to weapons, where in Destiny 1 we largely modified whole archetypes in large balance patches. Let’s say Clever Dragon, the high rate-of-fire pulse rifle, is really powerful in the current meta, we’re going to hit all high rate-of-fire pulse rifles. In Destiny 2, if we have a weapon that is a specific infractor, we’ll have the ability to go in and just touch that.

Will the ships serve any purpose beyond a cool loading screen?

No, they will not. They are a cool loading screen trinket.

There's more to read. It's a really good interview and Luke went into quite a bit of detail about all sorts of stuff. Have at it.

Zavala's Subclass

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Tuesday, June 13, 2017, 15:59 (2480 days ago) @ Ragashingo

(Makes you wonder what Subclass Zavala is actually playing in Homecoming.)

In the homecoming mission, Zavala's bubble is blue which would indicate it is created out of Arc energy, not Void energy. Based on that I'd say Zavala doesn't play any of the known subclasses. His is entirely unique.

lolwut

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Tuesday, June 13, 2017, 16:39 (2480 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

[image]
[image]
[image]

lolwut

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Tuesday, June 13, 2017, 16:44 (2480 days ago) @ CyberKN

Looks blue? I guess I mis-remembered.

[image]

Great Interview With Luke Smith

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, June 13, 2017, 16:09 (2480 days ago) @ Ragashingo

But can I keep my rusty, unpainted Arcadia Class jumpship?

Great Interview With Luke Smith - Alternate Supers!

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Tuesday, June 13, 2017, 16:11 (2480 days ago) @ Ragashingo

The other thing is that I love the Defender Titan, personally. He’s a class fantasy that I really like—and in the team too, oh my gosh the sandbox team feels this way as well. So one of the Sentinel trees actually has the option to, when you cast your super, you can press and hold the super activation and you’ll place a Ward of Dawn instead.

The fact that you can cast an 'alternative super' by holding down the super as opposed to just hitting it is very exciting to me. The variety this allows is tantalizing. Also, I love my defender Titan & am glad it's not completely gone.

Great Interview With Luke Smith - Alternate Supers!

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, June 13, 2017, 17:07 (2480 days ago) @ dogcow

The fact that you can cast an 'alternative super' by holding down the super as opposed to just hitting it is very exciting to me. The variety this allows is tantalizing. Also, I love my defender Titan & am glad it's not completely gone.

Totally. That's something that I've wanted for a while. More options equal greater encounter possibilities!

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, June 13, 2017, 16:59 (2480 days ago) @ Ragashingo

That's what I expected, but it's still disappointing. I want a Long Night of Solace type mission, damnit.

Interesting interview though!

CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, June 13, 2017, 17:49 (2480 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Everyone can be cool in text!

Seriously, I like this a lot. Text chat is fun, and it's really fun insulting people through text.

I'm also looking forward to being able to communicate with random guys that I don't want to hear...but it means I have to buy the PC Version. Any word on if characters transfer over yet? I haven't been able to follow all the new news.

CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, June 13, 2017, 18:12 (2480 days ago) @ Funkmon

Any word on if characters transfer over yet? I haven't been able to follow all the new news.

If you read the article that you're commenting about, they clearly point out that no, characters will not transfer.

I miss things.

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, June 13, 2017, 19:30 (2480 days ago) @ Korny

Turns out it was literally the last part of the article. I must have missed it in between the ads.

Sounds like you missed several things...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, June 13, 2017, 19:38 (2480 days ago) @ Funkmon

Turns out it was literally the last part of the article.

It's the last part of Page 1. There's a whole second page!

Ayfkm.

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, June 13, 2017, 21:03 (2479 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, June 14, 2017, 14:50 (2479 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Is there a world in which we never find out who the Exo Stranger was talking to on the phone?

Yeah, I mean, there’s a world where you never find out anything else about the Exo Stranger, and there’s a world where the Exo Stranger is the star of—

Destiny 3?

[Laughs] Yeah, there’s a world where the Exo Stranger has a cartoon or a comic book series or whatever. With Destiny, we have so many cool opportunities to tell stories in and out of the game. And we have a bunch of characters who are interesting, but the Exo Stranger is one that always makes me chuckle a little bit. Because I feel that’s one character where we actually wrapped up the arc. She gave you a sweet gun and then dissolved, presumably off to do something else. So I feel like, of all of our characters we’ve introduced and exited, we actually exited her effectively. But she always comes up. She always comes up, so there’s obviously something to that character that piques people’s curiosity.

(Coloration my edit)

I actually find my self shocked about this. I audibly gasped. In so many words - Bro! You can't be this blind. I refuse! I refuse. I mean... you know what. "I don't even have time to explain why I don't have time to explain."

Are the old subclasses—Sunsinger, Defender and Bladedancer—gone? They’re replaced by Dawnblade, Sentinel and Arcstrider?

Yes. For all intents and purposes, they’re gone.

How did you decide which subclasses you wanted to give more major overhauls?

We peer into the subclasses and look at opportunities. While I know that many players love the Sunsinger warlock, I think the fantasy of having a super in Destiny is the fantasy of using it, and the Sunsinger encouraged you to not use your super. It encouraged you to sit on it and use it like a one-up when it was time. That also makes things like counterbalance more of a headache than we want it to be. So we knew we wanted to give the solar Warlock an overhaul.

I think we just had a different fantasy in mind for the Arcstrider from the Bladedancer. I think there are similarities in that they're modal, but there’s no stealth capabilities, and that’s a key difference. I think the Bladedancer could be, at times, certainly when the game first shipped, very difficult to fight [in PvP], and that the Arcstrider feels more fun and more fair to fight against.

With the Void Titan, in looking at the Sentinel, we wanted to take some cues from the Nightstalker Hunter. And I mean this in the sense of themes that override. When we were working on the Nightstalker for The Taken King, we were constructing a subclass that we specifically wanted to feel like an aggressive support character with battlefield control.

To be fair, Sunsinger was overall a fairly lame super to begin with, (through not the lamest, sorry Hunters,) in the scope of what all the other supers could do, and I'm saying that as a life long (or whatever work with me here) warlock. If it wasn't for the AMAZING ability to save the team from wipe, I think it would have been rarely used at all. That said - I think we ALL are going to miss the Warlock Rez. Particularly in the raid.

Wonder

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, June 14, 2017, 16:03 (2479 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Is there a world in which we never find out who the Exo Stranger was talking to on the phone?

Yeah, I mean, there’s a world where you never find out anything else about the Exo Stranger, and there’s a world where the Exo Stranger is the star of—

Destiny 3?

[Laughs] Yeah, there’s a world where the Exo Stranger has a cartoon or a comic book series or whatever. With Destiny, we have so many cool opportunities to tell stories in and out of the game. And we have a bunch of characters who are interesting, but the Exo Stranger is one that always makes me chuckle a little bit. Because I feel that’s one character where we actually wrapped up the arc. She gave you a sweet gun and then dissolved, presumably off to do something else. So I feel like, of all of our characters we’ve introduced and exited, we actually exited her effectively. But she always comes up. She always comes up, so there’s obviously something to that character that piques people’s curiosity.

(Coloration my edit)

I actually find my self shocked about this. I audibly gasped. In so many words - Bro! You can't be this blind. I refuse! I refuse. I mean... you know what. "I don't even have time to explain why I don't have time to explain."

As a storyteller, you have to be thinking about why someone is still watching / reading / playing / listening to your story. Why. What is it they are hoping for? What do they want?

There's this idea of the Major Dramatic Question. It's the thing the audience is wondering that keeps them hooked. How will the Master Chief survive and get off Halo? Will Joel be able to get over his guilt by saving Ellie? How will Cloud stop Sephiroth? What happened to Laura Palmer Rachael Amber? If these questions aren't answered, you will be left with a bad feeling. It doesn't always have to be the 'right' answer. While watching Nightcrawler, you're thinking "How far will this slimeball go, and what will bring him down?" The answer is, very far, and nothing. In fact, he's rewarded in the end.

So, you have to craft your stories in such a way that you know what that question is and why the audience is there. This is usually established early on. If the audience doesn't have this question they want answered, why would they continue? So you usually put this out there very early, and the events of the story build upon that question. You can have subplots and things like that, but they usually tie back into that first big question somehow.

I think Destiny started off on a misstep. For me anyway, the wonder, the question, was always about the nature of the traveler and the darkness and the collapse, because that's the first fucking thing we see and are told. Then the speaker goes on and on about it. It's a super compelling premise that could carry a lot of emotional weight for the characters. It's not until much later in the game we learn the black heart is draining the traveler's light and must be stopped. Had that been established earlier, like perhaps in the second or third mission, where the traveler becomes weak and its protection starts to fade, then I would be concerned with restoring it. But, because there's really nothing else to go on, my sense of wonder lingered on the traveler and the darkness.

Perhaps that's wrong to be my question, but that's the fault of the way the story is presented. The setting of a story is not willy nilly, it's chosen because it facilitates the story. But I was not given anything else to care about right away. But now you throw the Exo Stranger in, and people are naturally going to wonder about that. How can you not? The plot was so incoherent, it was the one thing that you knew you wanted to know.

I'm not saying that we have to get all these answers right away, but as we get these other stories they need to feed back into that major question we have about the traveler and the darkness. You had a bazillion side stories in Battlestar Galactica, but they all led back one way or another to "How is humanity going to survive"? That's how you make your subplots work rather than just exist.

I'm sure we will all care about taking down the Cabal, but what about the questions we really have? Move us father along with that. Throw us a curveball maybe. But don't just drop shit never to hear about it again or have it matter. That… makes people want to stop caring.

+1

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, June 14, 2017, 17:25 (2479 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

+2

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Wednesday, June 14, 2017, 17:35 (2479 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

+3

by yakaman, Wednesday, June 14, 2017, 19:32 (2479 days ago) @ dogcow

- No text -

good post

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, June 14, 2017, 19:18 (2479 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Wonder + 1, and then some

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, June 14, 2017, 21:15 (2478 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I agree with everything you said, and I would like to add another point.

If I'm following a story as it unfolds, and that story is full of suspense and mystery and questions begging to be answered... and then I begin to see that the storytellers don't actually intend to make good on any of those mysteries... well then I just stop caring about any new elements that get introduced along the way. I love mystery when it SERVES A STORY, but mystery just for the sake of tricking the viewer (or player) into caring long enough to introduce the NEXT mystery is the storytelling equivenalnt of click-bait headlines. This form of storytelling is hugely popular these days, and I largely blame JJ "mystery box" Abrams for it (although Linch deserves his share of the blame too). This whole idea that making the audience say "what the heck is going on" is perfectly adequate in and of itself, at that suspense never needs to go anywhere or build towards anything.

As it stands right now, Destiny 1 falls into that camp. And that's a shame. Many of us wanted answers (or at least exploration) to those questions in the expansions. But got self-contained "monster of the week" stories instead. So that makes Destiny 2 the place to pick up those larger, ongoing threads, right?

But Bungie wants Des2ny to be approachable to new players (good idea). But for that to really happen, Des2ny CAN'T continue those threads. Not in a deep or meaningful way. I made a post months back about how I wished Bungie would cut as many ties between Destiny 1 & 2 as possible. Set them in different times, featuring different characters... give Des2ny a clean slate to work from, and start all over again. Bungie clearly hasn't gone that far, but it is possible that they're doing something similar. We may never get answers to the prominent questions of D1. And while that is disappointing to a degree, I'll be ok with it as long as the pattern doesn't continue. If D2 starts a whole bunch of new threads, only to have them left dangling at the end of the game and then ignored in D3, then that will be a problem.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, June 14, 2017, 23:55 (2478 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I love mystery when it SERVES A STORY, but mystery just for the sake of tricking the viewer (or player) into caring long enough to introduce the NEXT mystery is the storytelling equivenalnt of click-bait headlines. This form of storytelling is hugely popular these days, and I largely blame JJ "mystery box" Abrams for it and (Something about David Lynch which is wrong and I'll ignore).

I'm pretty sure it was the Hulk who put it very well: it's actually clarity that drives stories. Clarity of characters, motivations, and decisions. If you have a whodunnit, the identity of the killer might be a mystery, but the motivations of the detectives aren't. The more you KNOW about what the characters are doing and why, the more drama you can have.

Abrams' problem is that the mysteries are often a part of the character motivations… Remember when Ray takes Luke's lightsaber, has her vision, then runs off "refusing the call"? By the books hero's journey stuff, but why does she do that? We are teased about her past on Jakku, and that's supposed to inform our decision somehow… but in the moment you are shaking your head wondering wtf is happening. And so it feels weak.

Why is the queen's brother hostile toward you? If we knew why, it could be way more powerful… but nope. He's just a dick for no reason.

Mystery can be fun… but not when everything is one big mystery.

by Harmanimus @, Thursday, June 15, 2017, 01:49 (2478 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Rey's motivation is made clear multiple times leading up to that and heavily informs her refusal of the call as being because she is still "waiting for her family on Jakku" and cannot continue to wait for them if she embraces the call.

And aren't you told right before you visit the Reef the first time that they don't take kindly to strangers? You're only there as the Queen's curiosity. Why wouldn't he be hostile?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, June 15, 2017, 02:52 (2478 days ago) @ Harmanimus

Rey's motivation is made clear multiple times leading up to that and heavily informs her refusal of the call as being because she is still "waiting for her family on Jakku" and cannot continue to wait for them if she embraces the call.

Weak.

But both clear and present.

by Harmanimus @, Thursday, June 15, 2017, 13:31 (2478 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, June 15, 2017, 13:37 (2478 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Weak.

Is it, though? People themselves can be weak, and it was a believable motivation, especially for a young woman who was abandoned as a child and held on to that hope of waiting for her family for her entire life. It was probably literally the thing she survived for, as we're shown that life on Jakku is far from easy.

*shrug*

It worked for me.

^I hope someone at Bungie has this in mind. Great post!

by Robot Chickens, Thursday, June 15, 2017, 15:57 (2478 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Wednesday, June 14, 2017, 16:27 (2479 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Destiny 3?

[Laughs] Yeah, there’s a world where the Exo Stranger has a cartoon or a comic book series or whatever. With Destiny, we have so many cool opportunities to tell stories in and out of the game. And we have a bunch of characters who are interesting, but the Exo Stranger is one that always makes me chuckle a little bit. Because I feel that’s one character where we actually wrapped up the arc. She gave you a sweet gun and then dissolved, presumably off to do something else.

Wow. If I didn't know who Luke Smith was, I'd wonder if this person had ever actually played through the story missions. Seriously, that sounds like something my mom would say. "Oh, good job, Sweetie! You got your reward, so I guess you're all done now, right?"

The Exo Stranger was the only thing that seemed to resemble a story in vanilla Destiny. There's no way they seriously think they wrapped that up.

-Disciple

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, June 14, 2017, 16:33 (2479 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

Destiny 3?

[Laughs] Yeah, there’s a world where the Exo Stranger has a cartoon or a comic book series or whatever. With Destiny, we have so many cool opportunities to tell stories in and out of the game. And we have a bunch of characters who are interesting, but the Exo Stranger is one that always makes me chuckle a little bit. Because I feel that’s one character where we actually wrapped up the arc. She gave you a sweet gun and then dissolved, presumably off to do something else.

Wow. If I didn't know who Luke Smith was, I'd wonder if this person had ever actually played through the story missions. Seriously, that sounds like something my mom would say. "Oh, good job, Sweetie! You got your reward, so I guess you're all done now, right?"

The Exo Stranger was the only thing that seemed to resemble a story in vanilla Destiny. There's no way they seriously think they wrapped that up.

-Disciple

Honestly I think that fact that this is a LEAD (THE Lead?), is what added to my shock!

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, June 14, 2017, 17:49 (2479 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Destiny 3?

-Disciple

Honestly I think that fact that this is a LEAD (THE Lead?), is what added to my shock!

Maybe I read it wrong, but I feel like you're all interpreting that statement from Luke as his sincere opinion. I read that as dripping with Luke-brand sarcasm.

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Wednesday, June 14, 2017, 17:54 (2479 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Maybe I read it wrong, but I feel like you're all interpreting that statement from Luke as his sincere opinion. I read that as dripping with Luke-brand sarcasm.

Man, I hope that's the case. Why hasn't the world formally adopted a sarcasm tag, yet?

-Disciple

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, June 14, 2017, 18:33 (2479 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Destiny 3?

-Disciple

Not like his sarcasm has ever been misinterpreted before. Nope. Throw money at the screen? :-p

This is the internet

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Wednesday, June 14, 2017, 19:47 (2479 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Sarcasm is always correctly interpreted.

Not sure if Sarcasm. ;P

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, June 14, 2017, 19:53 (2479 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

- No text -

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Wednesday, June 14, 2017, 20:40 (2478 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Not like his sarcasm has ever been misinterpreted before. Nope. Throw money at the screen? :-p

I don't for a second believe that comment was sarcasm.

Not out of character

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, June 14, 2017, 19:14 (2479 days ago) @ Claude Errera

For the record, I was an early Luke critic who has no been converted into a fan.

I, respectfully disagree.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, June 14, 2017, 19:52 (2479 days ago) @ Claude Errera

So there is a part of me that wants to dissect what I see in the the full quote which is once again below with my color edit intact.

Destiny 3?

After taking a moment to reread the full quote, I've decided I'm not going to go into the effort of parsing out what I see, since it seems to me that conversation would get to a pedantic level of "I interpret it this way". Ugh. Time can be better spent then bickering over verbiage.

For me, saying "He was just being sarcastic" is no different then having a kid brother say "I WAS KIDDING". Sorry, I ain't buying it. He is A LEAD speaking about his game to the press during one of the (if not THE,) biggest video game trade shows. There is a time and place for everything.

SO now we have, YES - he was being sarcastic while selling his wares which REQUIRES believe-ability. OR! NO - He meant what he said.

Either way - Shame.

If it was a far more casual sit down, like some random podcast on any old day, and everyone is laughing and having a good time, then yes - I'd be right with ya Wu. But this? Sorry. I respectfully disagree.

by squidnh3, Wednesday, June 14, 2017, 20:38 (2478 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

If it was a far more casual sit down, like some random podcast on any old day, and everyone is laughing and having a good time, then yes - I'd be right with ya Wu. But this? Sorry. I respectfully disagree.

I mean, they did quote him as laughing while he said this, so it seems clear it was at least partially a spoken interview that was transcribed and edited.

Anyway, when I read it again here I was more sure it was sarcasm, but reading it again in full it comes right after this answer:

"Ghaul seems like a cool new big-bad to introduce in the same way Oryx rocked up for The Taken King and provided the main antagonist. But are we going to learn any more about the core story introduced in Destiny 1, who the Speaker is and where he comes from, what the Darkness is? Are we going to hear from the Exo Stranger? Are those kind of questions going to be answered in Destiny 2?

Not specifically all of those questions. I think some of those questions we’ve taken off the shelf to look at, and some of those questions we’re leaving on the shelf and may never answer. Personally, I think of Destiny 1 as sort of an issue zero in a comic book series. It’s about introducing the universe and some characters in it and some statements, but I think we want to—and a bunch of those statements were questions. I don’t know that we’ll answer all of those statements from the first game, and aren’t going to attempt to in Destiny 2 either. We’re telling a story here with some momentum and I think it’s going to show direction and progress for where the arc of Destiny is going to go. And that arc is, for us, really beginning with game two."

Reading Luke's answer to the Exo Stranger follow-up question is much more confusing/concerning when you have the highlighted sentence in mind.

Of course, the counterpoint to this is that if the Exo Stranger does make a surprise appearance in Destiny 2, how does Luke even answer that question?

Ohh! Surprise!

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, June 14, 2017, 20:46 (2478 days ago) @ squidnh3

Of course, the counterpoint to this is that if the Exo Stranger does make a surprise appearance in Destiny 2, how does Luke even answer that question?

"Maybe we'll hear about that story someday, but right now we are simply looking forward to telling the stories in Destiny 2"

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, June 14, 2017, 21:03 (2478 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

So there is a part of me that wants to dissect what I see in the the full quote which is once again below with my color edit intact.

Destiny 3?

After taking a moment to reread the full quote, I've decided I'm not going to go into the effort of parsing out what I see, since it seems to me that conversation would get to a pedantic level of "I interpret it this way". Ugh. Time can be better spent then bickering over verbiage.

For me, saying "He was just being sarcastic" is no different then having a kid brother say "I WAS KIDDING". Sorry, I ain't buying it. He is A LEAD speaking about his game to the press during one of the (if not THE,) biggest video game trade shows. There is a time and place for everything.

SO now we have, YES - he was being sarcastic while selling his wares which REQUIRES believe-ability. OR! NO - He meant what he said.

Either way - Shame.

I've now read the full article, and I think he was just making a back-handed compliment to the lack of story in vanilla Destiny, in that self-deprecating, sarcastic way of his. At least the stranger's interactions have some closure, finally--UNLIKE ANYTHING ELSE. And to speak to squid's point, if the reappearance of the stranger is a major event in Destiny 2, I'd downplay the possibility of that in much the same way at this point. I wouldn't want to give it away. My hope is they're much more confident about the narrative now, and there are many new elements and revelations, combined with some call backs that satisfy and surprise.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, June 15, 2017, 11:38 (2478 days ago) @ Kermit

I've now read the full article, and I think he was just making a back-handed compliment to the lack of story in vanilla Destiny, in that self-deprecating, sarcastic way of his. At least the stranger's interactions have some closure, finally--UNLIKE ANYTHING ELSE.

That's exactly how I read it.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, June 14, 2017, 21:59 (2478 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

While it may be a long shot, I kinda hope it was a reference to the Exo Stranger's ability to step through time or between worlds. Somewhere, she is having a major influence and is as much a hero as our Guardians are. But to us, she watched us for a while and decided we had enough of a shot at fixing things to contact us. Which she did briefly before having to go save her colleagues or whatever.

That and possibly scarcasm.

Spinfoil hat

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, June 15, 2017, 05:01 (2478 days ago) @ Ragashingo

The conspiracy theorist in me partially thinks Bungie wants to jettison all the baggage from the people they've fired or forced out. Largely abandoning Destiny 1's characters could be washing their hands of Joe. They were already erasing him from history with that Birth of Destiny article where Jonty doesn't mention Joe once.

It's very suspicious.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread