The Perils Of Digital Distribution *OT* (Gaming)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, August 25, 2013, 16:06 (3895 days ago)

<rant>Long story short I'm very unhappy with Microsoft and Lionhead Studios right now. A while ago they offered Fable II as a sort of demo with the ability to buy the rest of the game in five "Episode" sized chunks. I did so. Boy was that a mistake. Sometime between then and now it seems Lionhead decided to stop selling the game that way. That also means that those that already owned it that way can no longer redownload it. So here I am able to download nothing but Episode 1. I can play thirty minutes to an hour until the game ask me if I want to buy Episode 2 after the first significant fight. I say yes, and Xbox live pretends to download it for a few seconds, it even got to 1% one time, then tells me it can't. Literally, it says "Can't Download Episode 2" with no other explanation or error code or anything. Worse the few stories I've been able to find tell me that a call to support is just going to get someone to read me an obscure part of the terms of service covering removed content.

I'm pretty unhappy right now. It's not like Fable is my favorite series or anything, but just this, "oops sorry it's no longer available" when it even still appears to be on the Xbox live servers… Yeah, it's discs only for me for a long time into the foreseeable future and it's another big push for me to the PS4. Not that I think their model will be any better, but they haven't made me mad recently.</rant>

Shit...I remember when they did that.

by bryan newman @, Kentucky, Monday, August 26, 2013, 01:17 (3895 days ago) @ Ragashingo

That was FOREVER ago. They stopped doing games like that because of what a clusterfuck it was.

Can you not get the game as a whole on GoD?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, August 26, 2013, 05:50 (3894 days ago) @ bryan newman

Sure I could, for $20. But they already took a game I paid for away from me, why should I trust them with another one? That's where I'm at right now. In general I love games on demand and digital. It's great right up until the point that the stuff you paid for is magically no longer yours and you have no options.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, August 26, 2013, 09:42 (3894 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Sure I could, for $20. But they already took a game I paid for away from me, why should I trust them with another one? That's where I'm at right now. In general I love games on demand and digital. It's great right up until the point that the stuff you paid for is magically no longer yours and you have no options.

I would pursue it. You paid for a digital copy of the game. If one is available on the platform, you should have it.

The Benefits Of Digital Friendship *OT*

by Bones @, The Last City, Earth, Sol System, Monday, August 26, 2013, 16:52 (3894 days ago) @ Ragashingo

My copy of Fable II is currently collecting dust. You want it?

The Benefits Of Digital Friendship *OT*

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, August 26, 2013, 18:31 (3894 days ago) @ Bones

Sure, that would be amazing! :)

In return I would like to offer you either a copy of Mass Effect 3, or Forza 4. You can contact me at ragashingo@mac.com so we can work out the details.

Thanks Bones :)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, November 06, 2013, 16:28 (3822 days ago) @ Bones

[image]

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Wednesday, November 06, 2013, 18:48 (3822 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I got an extra copy of Fable III... but no one will take it.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, November 06, 2013, 18:54 (3822 days ago) @ Leviathan

Heh. Would you like another one? I'll throw in a twenty! :p

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Wednesday, November 06, 2013, 19:01 (3822 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Heh. Would you like another one? I'll throw in a twenty! :p

What's funny is that I got it from someone who was trying to get rid of it! It's like a curse.

*The Perils Of DRM and Centralisation

by RC ⌂, UK, Thursday, November 07, 2013, 17:55 (3821 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Must... resist... urge to... soapbox!!!

*The Perils Of DRM and Centralisation

by ShadowOfTheVoid ⌂, South Carolina, Friday, November 08, 2013, 12:03 (3820 days ago) @ RC

Must... resist... urge to... soapbox!!!

Do it! Do it! Do it!

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread