Osiris's DLC may delve into the nature of the Darkness (Destiny)

by Durandal, Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 07:23 (2417 days ago)

"Warlocks turned away from the study of the Traveler in favor of your ultimate obsession... learning the exact nature of the Darkness." - Osiris

The ending cinematic and the vision from the Traveler both point to the pyramid ships as being the ultimate foe of the Destiny universe, The titular darkness. The comments from Cabal Emperor Calus that he met something on the infinite abyss at the edge of the universe also fits.

With the Osiris DLC as the next installment, we may see more information on the nature of the darkness and it's motives.

This in contrast to the D2 prerelease comments where Bungie indicated they were not going to explore the nature of the Darkness in the base game. It seems that both the Traveler awakening and the Darkness also reactivating, the war in heaven will start to become more prominent.

I expect the first DLC will hype up the need to prepare, and that would lead to us trying to reactivate and recruit the Warminds, leading to the Rasputin DLC (#2). The follow on DLC would return to the Fallen, and the house of Dusk. This would also bring us back to the Reef and the Queen. That leaves the final DLC as the Hive invasion, as they try to sweep in and scoop up the Traveler before the Darkness comes to finish it off.

Osiris's DLC may delve into the nature of the Darkness *SP*

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 07:55 (2417 days ago) @ Durandal

"Warlocks turned away from the study of the Traveler in favor of your ultimate obsession... learning the exact nature of the Darkness." - Osiris

The ending cinematic and the vision from the Traveler both point to the pyramid ships as being the ultimate foe of the Destiny universe, The titular darkness. The comments from Cabal Emperor Calus that he met something on the infinite abyss at the edge of the universe also fits.

With the Osiris DLC as the next installment, we may see more information on the nature of the darkness and it's motives.

This in contrast to the D2 prerelease comments where Bungie indicated they were not going to explore the nature of the Darkness in the base game. It seems that both the Traveler awakening and the Darkness also reactivating, the war in heaven will start to become more prominent.

I expect the first DLC will hype up the need to prepare, and that would lead to us trying to reactivate and recruit the Warminds, leading to the Rasputin DLC (#2). The follow on DLC would return to the Fallen, and the house of Dusk. This would also bring us back to the Reef and the Queen. That leaves the final DLC as the Hive invasion, as they try to sweep in and scoop up the Traveler before the Darkness comes to finish it off.

Pretty interesting theories. Seems sound though especially the DLC progression.

I always felt like the other races were ONCE touched by the traveler, in a good way though, and they "became evil with the power", like Ghual did. They are just trying to get it back, which we know is true for the Fallen, and perhaps even the hive.

It does seem clear the traveler and the pyramid ships are "linked" in some way.

Osiris's DLC may delve into the nature of the Darkness *SP*

by Argent_17, Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 08:28 (2417 days ago) @ Durandal

Something to note about potential plot for the warmind dlc, the last communication we have with Rasputin is him basically telling us to leave him alone with a hint of I will kill you if you try to contact me. So we may be trying to regain his trust.

Osiris's DLC may delve into the nature of the Darkness

by ObsidianKitteh @, san antonio, tx, Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 12:06 (2417 days ago) @ Durandal

and we finally get a look at race 5!!!!

[image]

I do t think we need to worry

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 12:20 (2417 days ago) @ Durandal

The traveler's light magic is clearly traveling at sub luminal speed outward. Even if it's light speed, given that the ships sit well outside the galaxy, they won't know about it until at least 250,000 years.

That cutscene must take place in the distant future!

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 13:14 (2417 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Or... it is accelerating each time we get a new shot. To watch it visibly move outward from a galaxy would make it both VERY bright and VERY fast, would it not! :p

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 14:42 (2417 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Or... it is accelerating each time we get a new shot. To watch it visibly move outward from a galaxy would make it both VERY bright and VERY fast, would it not! :p

There's this thing called the doppler effect. An object emitting light moving that fast coming toward you would be blue shifted out of the visible spectrum. It would be invisible.

Disagree

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 13:14 (2417 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The traveler's light magic is clearly traveling at sub luminal speed outward. Even if it's light speed, given that the ships sit well outside the galaxy, they won't know about it until at least 250,000 years.

That cutscene must take place in the distant future!

It accelerates to the point that it is moving WAY faster than light. The fact that we have a view from far outside the galaxy which shows the light emanating from within the galaxy so quickly that it encompasses the entire galaxy in only a few seconds... That's much faster than light.

Disagree

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 13:27 (2417 days ago) @ Kahzgul

It accelerates to the point that it is moving WAY faster than light. The fact that we have a view from far outside the galaxy which shows the light emanating from within the galaxy so quickly that it encompasses the entire galaxy in only a few seconds... That's much faster than light.

It may just be an illustrative mechanism. But I buy the acceleration.

I'd like to think it works somehow to affect the nature of being of things, much like gravity, in that the effects of density on space are not slow and spreading, but instantaneous. Although instead of gravity we're talking about some other phenomena that affects the alive/dead state of biomatter.

Because I have to believe a pulse from the Traveller would render useless all the Vex Milk on hand, were there ever an effort by them to capture it.

And since we're talking about space magic, there's no real need to assume the effect of that pulse has travel time. I think the only point necessary to convey in the cinematic was "Very Far-Away Bad Guys Notice The Traveller".

~m

Disagree

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 14:01 (2417 days ago) @ Malagate

I'd like to think it works somehow to affect the nature of being of things, much like gravity, in that the effects of density on space are not slow and spreading, but instantaneous.

Gravity propagates at the speed of light.

Disagree

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 14:35 (2417 days ago) @ uberfoop
edited by Cody Miller, Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 14:40

I'd like to think it works somehow to affect the nature of being of things, much like gravity, in that the effects of density on space are not slow and spreading, but instantaneous.

Gravity propagates at the speed of light.

And the speed of light is the speed of causality in the universe. The light and dark are para-causal.

If it were traveling faster than the speed of light (or even NEAR the speed of light), we would not be able to see it as illustrated in the cutscenes. It would be blueshifted such that it would no longer be in visible light.

Busted!

TIL.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Wednesday, September 13, 2017, 01:09 (2416 days ago) @ uberfoop

- No text -

Disagree

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 14:02 (2417 days ago) @ Malagate

I think illustrative for narrative ourpose isnon point. As well as space magic defyfing regular universal understanding. But it is neat to consider the implications of what is shown for internal consistency if there is some to be found. So, I think there is merit to both the acceleration argument as well as to a non-literal interpretation.

Aside: hell yeah Metal Warriors. Never noticed that before.

Quantum Entanglement + Space Magic?

by breitzen @, Kansas, Wednesday, September 13, 2017, 06:31 (2416 days ago) @ Malagate

Seems feasible in the Destiny universe to me!

Wait a minute...

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 13:19 (2417 days ago) @ Cody Miller

That was the Traveler? I though the Covenant had finally fired a halo. Now it makes more sense.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread