One theory about the Vex debunked *SP* (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 13:17 (2389 days ago)

In the D1 Grimoire, we had a lot of info about a vex that was running a simulation of the entire universe. Actually 37 (iirc) simulations, congruently. So a theory developed which was that maybe *we* were in a simulation that the vex were running.

Well, Failsafe has a line which completely debunks that. She says, during one mission or another (I'm paraphrasing here): "The vex are talking about you, guardian. Of course, they don't call you 'guardian,' they have another name for you." Ghost: "What do they call us?" Failsafe: "Those who wield that which cannot be simulated."

One theory about the Vex debunked *SP*

by EffortlessFury @, Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 13:38 (2389 days ago) @ Kahzgul

In the D1 Grimoire, we had a lot of info about a vex that was running a simulation of the entire universe. Actually 37 (iirc) simulations, congruently. So a theory developed which was that maybe *we* were in a simulation that the vex were running.

Well, Failsafe has a line which completely debunks that. She says, during one mission or another (I'm paraphrasing here): "The vex are talking about you, guardian. Of course, they don't call you 'guardian,' they have another name for you." Ghost: "What do they call us?" Failsafe: "Those who wield that which cannot be simulated."

In hindsight especially, that tracks. The powers of the light and of the dark have both been referred to as paracausal, or "beyond causality."

by squidnh3, Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 13:57 (2389 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Are you referring to the Vex 1-4 Grimoire, with the story of the scientists in the Golden Age studying Vex? It turned out they were being simulated, but brought in a Warmind (which could act in ways that couldn't be simulated) to break them free. They then re-entered the Vex systems, all 227 copies of them. Those events predated the Collapse, and Guardians, so the lore is still consistent.

Notably, the Vex are also unable to simulate Oryx, or more specifically, the part (symbiotic organism) of Oryx that gives him his powers. When Quria (the Vex mind) tries to simulate him, it instead simulates Aurash, Oryx's original form.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 14:30 (2389 days ago) @ squidnh3

Notably, the Vex are also unable to simulate Oryx, or more specifically, the part (symbiotic organism) of Oryx that gives him his powers. When Quria (the Vex mind) tries to simulate him, it instead simulates Aurash, Oryx's original form.

Funny, the Cabal's OXA Machine was able to predict the manner of Oryx's rise. So it's better than the Vex?

by squidnh3, Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 15:12 (2389 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Cabal's OXA Machine

Wow, weird. On my way home from work I was just thinking, "I sure wish Bungie had gotten General Battuta to write a Book of Sorrow for the Cabal." Turns out, they did, I just somehow missed it!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 15:21 (2389 days ago) @ squidnh3

Cabal's OXA Machine

Wow, weird. On my way home from work I was just thinking, "I sure wish Bungie had gotten General Battuta to write a Book of Sorrow for the Cabal." Turns out, they did, I just somehow missed it!

I believe it's only in a journal for special edition buyers. Which, is actually worse than having grimoire on a website. Fortunately, it's been republished on a lot of sites.

by General Battuta, Thursday, September 14, 2017, 01:06 (2387 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Funny, the Cabal's OXA Machine was able to predict the manner of Oryx's rise. So it's better than the Vex?

No, that was retrospective.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, September 13, 2017, 11:22 (2388 days ago) @ squidnh3

They also couldn't deal with the Taken, and had to resort to help from the other thing that they couldn't simulate...
Maybe that was an experiment.

Super Cool. *SP*

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 15:08 (2389 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Which is? My thinking is something quantum, as if you try to measure it, it changes. How would you simulate something if seemingly your consciousness is changing the variable every time you try to measure it?

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread