How big is the traveller? Inconsistencies. (Destiny)

by naturl selexion, Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 18:24 (2389 days ago)

There seems to be a huge discrepency in how large the Traveller is depicted to be. When we view it from Earth it looks to be slightly higher than the surrounding mountains. Which look to be about ten thousand feet high. So maybe the traveller is twenty thousand feet across.

Fun fact: if you were to shrink the Earth to be the size of a billiard ball, it's surface would be smoother than the billiard ball. Something the size of the Traveller would need a microscope to be seen.

Later in the game we see the Earth and Traveller from space, but in this case the Traveller is depicted to be several hundred miles across. That bugs me.

How big is the traveller? Inconsistencies.

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, September 13, 2017, 01:41 (2389 days ago) @ naturl selexion

There seems to be a huge discrepency in how large the Traveller is depicted to be. When we view it from Earth it looks to be slightly higher than the surrounding mountains. Which look to be about ten thousand feet high. So maybe the traveller is twenty thousand feet across.

Fun fact: if you were to shrink the Earth to be the size of a billiard ball, it's surface would be smoother than the billiard ball. Something the size of the Traveller would need a microscope to be seen.

Later in the game we see the Earth and Traveller from space, but in this case the Traveller is depicted to be several hundred miles across. That bugs me.

When you fly to the tower from Orbit, the Traveler cannot be seen, which is, again, consistent with your billiard ball theory.

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Wednesday, September 13, 2017, 07:44 (2389 days ago) @ naturl selexion

Glad I am not the only one to notice.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, September 14, 2017, 10:14 (2388 days ago) @ naturl selexion

Marty actually mentioned to me that this was something he brought up early on, but the artists simply decided to use a variable size such that it best fit into the piece of art they were doing. Bungie is well aware.

I'm okay with that. It's like the First T-Rex scene from Jurassic Park. It cheats geometry like crazy, and makes little spacial sense. But, those cheats let Spielberg maximize the drama of the scene. How did the jeeps get back to the T-Rex Paddock in the first place? Where did that cliff come from?

Were you not on the edge of your seat anyway? Did you even notice the first time? The fact that people are just now questioning the Traveler's size means that the decision was probably okay, since if it were the size it appears from the tower, it would not be visible from space, and much of the game's iconography would be gone.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread