This week's Nightfall with 5+ minutes remaining: A guide (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, September 13, 2017, 02:05 (2416 days ago)

In Brief: If, for *some reason*, you wanted to finish a nightfall with 5 or more minutes to go, this week's nightfall is great for that.

spoilers below, I guess.

The nightfall is the inverted spire, same as in the beta.

It has rotating elemental buffs just like last week, so make sure your fireteam is set up with one of each element in the energy weapon category and one of each element in the heavy weapons category, and that no one has the same element in both categories. Great. Because of the damage buff, it's a good idea to bring highly offensive supers. For that reason, Arc seems to be generally the universal option.

When the nightfall starts, jump down and get on your sparrow. Drive to the conflux area. This is a SHARED SPACE so there's a small chance you'll be tossed into a game where the conflux has already been accessed, which will save you ~30 seconds. Even so, it's not that hard to just kill all the guys and activate the conflux yourself.

After jumping through all of the jump portal thingies, you will land in an area with a bunch of enemies (vex and cabal). IGNORE THEM and run past them, hugging the right wall. It may be close, but you will survive to the next jump portal.

For the next area, one person needs to stay up top next to the time boost ring. DO NOT JUMP THROUGH IT yet, as that activates the other rings as well as a timer which will make them disappear. Clear all of the enemies. Then the up top player jumps through the hoop, triggering the other time extension rings to appear. Everyone jumps through as many as possible. You should have more than 10 minutes left when you leave this area.

Run and jump past the gladiators on the plateaus in the next section, and when you reach the ground, hop on your sparrow and drive it around behind one or the other of the "commander" areas (two bunkers). Kill those commanders, thin out the other ground troops a bit, and then jump through the ring to spawn the time extenders, and everyone go nuts getting them. Again, you should have more than 10 minutes at this point.

Activate the flame launchers and use them to jump onto the drill. Hop down and activate the console to start a timer until you can jump to the next area. You can then die and just hang out until the timer is at 90% or so, at which point you should respawn and then bum rush the newly activated flame jumper.

From there, run past all of the guys, dodging fire as you go. Jump down to the 2nd half of this gauntlet, and continue to ignore everyone.

This time you want to activate the ring as soon as you see it. There are 3 paths to activate more rings as you go: Top, middle, and bottom. Work out in advance which path (and which rings) each fireteam member will get. It is fine to miss some here. If anyone dies here or in the previous gauntlet, just leave them dead. They will rejoin you as you jump down to the boss fight in the next area.

You want to have 10 minutes when you get to the boss, but I've done with with more than 12:30 before, so it's very possible.

Time your supers to match the DPS element and go bonkers on the boss, one super per phase.

Good luck gang! It took my friends and I about 7 tries to get it all down.

Aaaand the "race to the finish" folks are here...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, September 13, 2017, 09:38 (2416 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Wait...

Um...

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, September 13, 2017, 15:00 (2415 days ago) @ Korny

So Kahzgul's post title was super-clear; if you're not interested in maximizing efficiency, don't read the post. Easy-peasy.

(I haven't read it yet; I want to try it for myself, first. But if we struggle, as we did last week, I'm happy that it's here; I'll come back and read it and see if it helps.)

I guess I'm not sure what you're complaining about, actually. This is a resource. Use it if you want, ignore it if you want. Nobody's forcing anything on you, and you've already complained about the subject before (so there's no real need to repeat yourself)... am I missing something obvious?

Um...

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Wednesday, September 13, 2017, 15:13 (2415 days ago) @ Claude Errera

... am I missing something obvious?

Yeah, I think so. I think it was just a tongue-in-cheek response with the same exact subject as his response to another post by Kahzgul last week, in a way that Korny was kinda poking fun at himself.

(of course, with Korny there is always the possibility that I could be wrong and I'm letting him off the hook for trolling prematurely)

Um...

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, September 13, 2017, 15:51 (2415 days ago) @ Speedracer513

... am I missing something obvious?

Yeah, I think so. I think it was just a tongue-in-cheek response with the same exact subject as his response to another post by Kahzgul last week, in a way that Korny was kinda poking fun at himself.

(of course, with Korny there is always the possibility that I could be wrong and I'm letting him off the hook for trolling prematurely)

Yeah, I saw the original post, and the connection to this post; I interpreted the inside of the post to be a joke (as you describe), but the fact that he wrote it at all suggested (to me) that he STILL felt like it's too soon to maximize efficiency.

If I misinterpreted, Korny, and the whole thing was a joke, never mind, I'm sorry. :)

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, September 13, 2017, 15:21 (2415 days ago) @ Korny

[image]

I actually got the joke.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, September 14, 2017, 14:15 (2414 days ago) @ Korny

Self-deprecation from Korny. Nice.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Saturday, September 16, 2017, 12:55 (2413 days ago) @ Korny

I read this as a joke but, also it resonates with me. this was the first night fall I ever did in D2 and the fact that this is the gameplay that it’s encouraging doesn’t make me love it. What I loved about the original nightfall was how careful and strategic it made everybody play. this kind of bum rush / ignore enemies gameplay might have a place where it would be fun (SRL) but to me it doesn’t feel appropriate for a nightfall. I guess that’s just what it’s going to be from here on out though. Maybe I’ll get used to it. At least it’s not just a strike with more modifiers but no real gameplay change.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, September 16, 2017, 12:59 (2413 days ago) @ Vortech

I read this as a joke but, also it resonates with me. this was the first night fall I ever did in D2 and the fact that this is the gameplay that it’s encouraging doesn’t make me love it. What I loved about the original nightfall was how careful and strategic it made everybody play. this kind of bum rush / ignore enemies gameplay might have a place where it would be fun (SRL) but to me it doesn’t feel appropriate for a nightfall. I guess that’s just what it’s going to be from here on out though. Maybe I’ll get used to it. At least it’s not just a strike with more modifiers but no real gameplay change.

It's a modifier right? Not every week is going to have a time limit correct?

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Sunday, September 17, 2017, 15:08 (2411 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I thought so, based on some Zavala dialog, but I have not seen it for sure. 100% of the weeks so far, though…

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread