An easy strat for the raid's first challenge this week. (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, September 26, 2017, 04:19 (2375 days ago)
edited by Korny, Tuesday, September 26, 2017, 05:03

Since the Gauntlet is the first challenge in the raid this week, and since I noticed that there is apparently a complicated strategy floating around, here's a clip of our raid group doing our simple, stress-free strategy.

• Since the Dog and Chalice platforms have two people on them at the beginning, those groups can split up after clearing their side of adds and help the other two people take care of their own adds and Centurion, before meeting back up at their own platforms to clear out the Centurion.
  • As soon as your targets turn green (or red), jump off your platform over to them and face your pillar. When your Psion spawns, you can simply punch him on your way back to your pillar, as you won't be launched away.
  • When shooting targets, designate who will shoot top and bottom targets. I shot bottom on my own, and on my teammate's while he shot top on his own, and on his teammate's.
  • When you're making the final run, the two fastest folks (generally the two who have been running the entire time) take off first, and they grab the first timer buffs, and then alternate between grabbing and skipping them. The next two folks should wait a few seconds, before following and skipping the first set of orbs before following the pattern of grabbing every other one. The two slowest people (ideally the ones who have trouble with platforming) follow last, taking their time (the important thing is to not die), and grabbing orbs at every stage of the race.
  • I clearly botched the jump in the video (I haven't missed it a single time since, honest!), so my teammates prioritized rezzing me before slamming for the win.

Also, as a bonus, here's us trying to go get the Armory key right after, but running into a small hitch at the Ventilator...

An easy strat for the raid's first challenge this week.

by breitzen @, Kansas, Tuesday, September 26, 2017, 06:26 (2375 days ago) @ Korny

[*] When you're making the final run, the two fastest folks (generally the two who have been running the entire time) take off first, and they grab the first timer buffs, and then alternate between grabbing and skipping them. The next two folks should wait a few seconds, before following and skipping the first set of orbs before following the pattern of grabbing every other one. The two slowest people (ideally the ones who have trouble with platforming) follow last, taking their time (the important thing is to not die), and grabbing orbs at every stage of the race.

This seems like a really good strat. I feel like we got lucky on our run last week, but I'm running with some new people this week and will probably need to implement this.

In my experience, there's no such thing as luck

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Tuesday, September 26, 2017, 11:09 (2375 days ago) @ breitzen

It was the best of times

by breitzen @, Kansas, Tuesday, September 26, 2017, 14:38 (2375 days ago) @ Beorn

- No text -

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, September 26, 2017, 06:48 (2375 days ago) @ Korny

I listened to some podcast that talked about running in two teams of three. Two on the outside would pair with a runner on the inside and literally just follow him around the track, each jumping on the same pillar wherever the runner is. I guess I can see how that might be a bit easier for some to get their heads around rather than having to turn back and forth, but it seems pretty needless.

Agreed

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Tuesday, September 26, 2017, 14:05 (2375 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Having everyone run in circles seems to me like too many moving pieces, which is why we didn't end up doing that strategy. But I guess I can see the utility of it if some group members are not used to raiding and hitting their marks by themselves.

Possibly easier strategy from the XBox crew

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Tuesday, September 26, 2017, 13:57 (2375 days ago) @ Korny

Raid spoilers below

This approach to the Gauntlet can be tough for some guardians due to the number of tasks everyone must perform correctly. Each person who isn't running must get on their platform, monitor the wall to their left (shooting lower when called), shoot their wall (upper when called), melee their psion, and then get back on their platform in time to repeat it - all with good timing. It works, but that's a lot to ask of some guardians.

An alternative approach:
Split the group into two teams of three. Instead of each "inside" person being responsible for a fixed platform and two walls, assign two people instead to follow each runner around the room. With this approach, one of the inside pair ignores the psion - they just need to hop on the next platform and shoot the upper wall. The second of the inside pair ignores the platform - they just need to melee the psion and shoot the next lower wall. The pair move clockwise around the room with their runner. The individual workload inside is reduced, and groups I've run with have all had more success with this strategy.

When it comes time for the entire fireteam to run the gauntlet, it's also easier to split up who gets which psionic energy ball - the two teams of 3 just alternate. The "beast team" (that start on beast initially) grabs can energy at the first and third walls, and the "cup team" can grabs energy at the second and fourth walls. It's easier for just three people to call dibs on one of 4 balls (and there's always a spare if there's a conflict).

Sherpa notes: Obviously the guardians who are best at mobility can run the Gauntlet, but I'd put your best shooters on psion melee duty, the weakest guardians on platform duty, and the guys left over should run.

Possibly easier strategy from the XBox crew

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, September 26, 2017, 14:18 (2375 days ago) @ Chappy
edited by Korny, Tuesday, September 26, 2017, 14:59

Raid spoilers below

This approach to the Gauntlet can be tough for some guardians due to the number of tasks everyone must perform correctly. Each person who isn't running must get on their platform, monitor the wall to their left (shooting lower when called), shoot their wall (upper when called), melee their psion, and then get back on their platform in time to repeat it - all with good timing. It works, but that's a lot to ask of some guardians.

No, if you shoot lower on yours, you shoot lower on your teammate's too. If jumping off your platform to melee a Psion before jumping back on is too complicated for some people, I really don't know what to tell you. If you watch the video, it's super straightforward.

An alternative approach:
Split the group into two teams of three. Instead of each "inside" person being responsible for a fixed platform and two walls, assign two people instead to follow each runner around the room. With this approach, one of the inside pair ignores the psion - they just need to hop on the next platform and shoot the upper wall. The second of the inside pair ignores the platform - they just need to melee the psion and shoot the next lower wall. The pair move clockwise around the room with their runner. The individual workload inside is reduced, and groups I've run with have all had more success with this strategy.

This is exactly the strategy that I was referring to when I said that there was a complicated strategy floating around. Sure, your personal role is more defined, but it's wholly unnecessary. However, if people want to keep their individual contribution simple, I can see the appeal. I feel like there's a higher chance of screwing up with this method, though.
The video that I included is from our second time ever doing the raid. Last night, once we worked out some connection-based issues (sorry Destroyo!) it all ran smooth as silk for everyone. Zumphry is definitely familiar with your strategy, though, but quickly adapted, so either/or works.

When it comes time for the entire fireteam to run the gauntlet, it's also easier to split up who gets which psionic energy ball - the two teams of 3 just alternate. The "beast team" (that start on beast initially) grabs can energy at the first and third walls, and the "cup team" can grabs energy at the second and fourth walls. It's easier for just three people to call dibs on one of 4 balls (and there's always a spare if there's a conflict).

Technically, that's kind of what we were doing, but spacing it out into groups of two to avoid clutter and/or confusion as to who grabs which energy boost. With our method, the two weakest platformers can take as long as they want, and they won't ever have a conflict with other players, which are far ahead.

The number of balls at the end seems to correlate with how many times you mess up during the initial three stages. There's normally just three balls, but if you screw up once, four appear. And so on... I bet for Prestige, you'll have to slam all six, so it's better to get everyone through now.

Sherpa notes: Obviously the guardians who are best at mobility can run the Gauntlet, but I'd put your best shooters on psion melee duty, the weakest guardians on platform duty, and the guys left over should run.

The past couple of nights, Kupkake and I had to teach a couple of groups our strats, and even though some were blind, everything was easier than when our "pro" group did it last tuesday (we even got 80+ stacks on Pleasure Gardens with a team that had four blind folks). I guess it really just depends on the people doing it. I hear you're a good sherpa, so whatever works for your team. :)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, September 26, 2017, 14:46 (2375 days ago) @ Korny

I’d never shot targets before, and just staying on one platform is super easy. Shoot your own, kill your psion, shoot the one to your right, boom done.

It’s by far the simplest method.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread