Anyone Playing Fortnite: Battle Royale? (Gaming)

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Saturday, November 25, 2017, 16:20 (2338 days ago)

I've been watching some people stream this game and decided to give it a shot a few days ago. So far it's been a really fun PvP experience. Anyone else playing on the xbox?

I'm on the PS4 almost every night

by Kahzgul, Sunday, November 26, 2017, 01:40 (2337 days ago) @ unoudid

9 wins and counting!

Anyone Playing Fortnite: Battle Royale?

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Sunday, November 26, 2017, 04:40 (2337 days ago) @ unoudid

I've been watching some people stream this game and decided to give it a shot a few days ago. So far it's been a really fun PvP experience. Anyone else playing on the xbox?

Now and then.

On XB1

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Sunday, November 26, 2017, 17:20 (2337 days ago) @ unoudid

This game REQUIRES surround sound headphones

My tips

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, November 27, 2017, 13:43 (2336 days ago) @ kidtsunami

While you're finding your footing and figuring everything out:

• Land in the earliest populated area and engage in combat as quickly as possible after finding ANY gun, getting a feel for the combat
  • Build random nonsense to practice
  • don't get frustrated
  • Focus on familiarizing yourself with the map and non named areas

When you're ready to go for top 4 finishes:

• Drop in so far away and to remote spots
  • Unless you're at risk of getting caught in the storm or are currently caught in the storm, try minimizing how much you sprint, you're very visible and very loud when doing so
  • Hang out around the edge of the storm
  • Hide in bushes in plain sight

When you're ready to go for that Victory Royale:

• Don't engage unless it's a sure fire kill
  • Optimize what weapons you have, at the point that you're in the top 10, try to have a nice AR, Sniper, and something that goes "boom" (grenades, rocket launcher, OR grenade launcher), bandages or a med kit, and shield potions or a slurp juice. Hide the non-weapons in your inventory so when you're panick switching during battle you don't start bandaging out of nowhere.
  • GOOD LUCK

My tips

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Monday, November 27, 2017, 14:34 (2336 days ago) @ kidtsunami

When you're ready to go for top 4 finishes:

• Hide in bushes in plain sight

So much this. I've killed several players by just waiting in a bush while they run right next to me, then killing them with a shotgun before they realize I'm there. :)

When you're ready to go for that Victory Royale:

• Optimize what weapons you have, at the point that you're in the top 10, try to have a nice AR, Sniper, and something that goes "boom" (grenades, rocket launcher, OR grenade launcher), bandages or a med kit, and shield potions or a slurp juice. Hide the non-weapons in your inventory so when you're panick switching during battle you don't start bandaging out of nowhere.

^ How do you do that?

Ok when in the inventory

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, November 27, 2017, 16:06 (2336 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Which you get to by calling what my friends and I call the select button????? The button just to the left of the uhhhh xbox button???? Why did microsoft rename/re-identify them? I just don't know...

Ok when you're in the inventory, you can hit A when on an item. It will be removed from what I'll call your "quick select" menu. If you hit A on it again, you can then pick WHERE in the quick select menu you want it.

It is a super confusing interface. I'd try to explain it further, but it would probably take more time for you to understand than for you to drop in, pick up a few things, hide, and play around with it.

Most helpful post of the year

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 07:00 (2335 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I hadn't figured out how to do any of the inventory stuff yet. Thanks for the tips!

:-) thanks

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 09:11 (2335 days ago) @ unoudid

- No text -

Anyone Playing Fortnite: Battle Royale?

by davidfuchs ⌂, USA, Monday, November 27, 2017, 10:57 (2336 days ago) @ unoudid

Heard good things, probably going to jump in next month after I've cleared out some games I've yet to finish up.

Xbone PUBG Dec 12, just sayin...

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Monday, November 27, 2017, 14:57 (2336 days ago) @ unoudid

...or so says Google. Early access to Player Unknowns Battleground on xbox one. This is what I've been waiting for.

I've actually been waiting for Xbone DayZ but it's pretty obvious that will never ever ever happen.

PUBG = $30 Fortnite: BR = Free

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, November 27, 2017, 15:46 (2336 days ago) @ ManKitten

- No text -

Not that I'm gonna start playing, but...

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 10:28 (2335 days ago) @ unoudid

Yeah, not picking up another shooter right now, don't feel like I've got the time for it, but I have a real question that's surfaced each time someone talks about Fortnite (or PubG) that I'm too lazy to google:

These are games that have lots of people at the start, that get pared down to a single winner over time, right?

So what happens to people who are eliminated early? Do they sit in the game, dead, watching what's going on? Are they booted immediately upon death to find another game? Do they get to choose?

I've always disliked Survival mode variants of games I've played (I'm thinking about Halo and Destiny, specifically) because I'm invariably one of the early deaths, and the game is super-boring if I'm just watching other people play. If Fortnite and PubG are like this, I'll feel much less bad about not ever picking either one up. :)

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 10:44 (2335 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Yeah, not picking up another shooter right now, don't feel like I've got the time for it, but I have a real question that's surfaced each time someone talks about Fortnite (or PubG) that I'm too lazy to google:

These are games that have lots of people at the start, that get pared down to a single winner over time, right?

So what happens to people who are eliminated early? Do they sit in the game, dead, watching what's going on? Are they booted immediately upon death to find another game? Do they get to choose?

I've always disliked Survival mode variants of games I've played (I'm thinking about Halo and Destiny, specifically) because I'm invariably one of the early deaths, and the game is super-boring if I'm just watching other people play. If Fortnite and PubG are like this, I'll feel much less bad about not ever picking either one up. :)

You are eliminated and just leave the game. You can't even watch the rest of the game. at least in PUBG you can play on teams, which means your teammate can resurrect you in a time limit before you bleed out. If you still die you can watch the game in the perspective of your teammate (so that you don't have additional information to relay to him)

wrong

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 11:07 (2335 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

You are eliminated and just leave the game. You can't even watch the rest of the game. at least in PUBG you can play on teams, which means your teammate can resurrect you in a time limit before you bleed out. If you still die you can watch the game in the perspective of your teammate (so that you don't have additional information to relay to him)

You automatically switch to spectating your teammates, or if no teammates are available you spectate a player still alive. (The one that killed you I think?) You can opt to go back to the lobby at any time which makes for quick turnaround times if things go poorly right off the bat.

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 10:44 (2335 days ago) @ Claude Errera

In solo games you can spectate who killed you in Fortnite. Basically you get a deathscreen in PUBG. In team games if you get killed early you can spectate your team member.

Hmm...

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 10:52 (2335 days ago) @ Harmanimus

Both responses to me suggest that I did a poor job of explaining my viewpoint.

Spectating after I die is BORING. Everyone else is playing, I'm dead and have to wait until the game is over to play again.

The fact that you can leave and start a new game is actually a plus for me. (Not enough to actually play, since I'll ALWAYS be that guy who dies with 95 people still in the game, but a plus nonetheless.)

Anyway, thanks for the info. Happy to not jump in. :)

Hmm...

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 11:11 (2335 days ago) @ Claude Errera

It's a lot of fun, even when you die at the start of the match. You just back out and are back in a new game in less than a minute. It's not like playing an elimination match in Destiny where you die and then have to sit for minutes on end.

In Solos you get the choice to watch who killed you or you can back out.
In Duos/Squads, you get knocked down with the chance for a teammate to revive you. If you end up dying, then you can watch your other teammates or back out.

Games typically last 20-25 minutes at most if you make it to the end. More than likely, you'll either be out in the first few minutes or around the 10-minute mark when the zones force you towards each other.

The game is just stupid amounts of fun for a PvP game.

Hmm...

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 11:17 (2335 days ago) @ unoudid

The game is just stupid amounts of fun for a PvP game.

Agreed. I would have played it more but my computer didn't handle the Landing and loading a ton of textures all at once so I lagged like crazy the first 2-4 minutes of the game. Turns out there is a very good likelihood that you die within that time frame :D

But nothing is more enjoyable than looting a building and hearing a vehicle approaching and then going silent and setting up an ambush for the people.

I've been with a buddy where this happened. I waiting at the top of the stairs with a shotgun on the third floor. My buddy (wildthing) was also there with an assault rifle of some sort. The guy rounds the corner and we just light him up. within 5-10 seconds we heard his buddy jump on the vehicle and bolt. It was glorious.

If you aren't a patient and cautious person this game is not for you. Which surprises me that I like it because I am nowhere close to that kind of person. So maybe it doesn't matter :D

I used to pare down Halo 2 parties using New0001.

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 11:17 (2335 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Waterworks, only 2 men alive at the same time. Overshields, double health, no motion tracker, permanent invisibility, only gun is sentinel beam. Everyone was forced to spectate as 2 people walked around a huge map blindly not killing each other. We never got past 3 rounds before dropping the party by about half.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread