NoClip Documentary--Horizon: Zero Dawn (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, December 19, 2017, 19:32 (2316 days ago)

I just saw this, so I haven't watched it yet, but the rest of Danny O'Dwyer's documentaries are great, so I'll assume this one is, too.

Given Horizon: Zero Dawn's popularity around here, I just thought I'd post it. If nothing else, it'll give Korny something to do, since he hates Destiny now. :P

NoClip Documentary--Horizon: Zero Dawn

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, December 19, 2017, 20:32 (2316 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I just saw this, so I haven't watched it yet, but the rest of Danny O'Dwyer's documentaries are great, so I'll assume this one is, too.

Never heard of him. Consider my interest piqued.

Given Horizon: Zero Dawn's popularity around here, I just thought I'd post it. If nothing else, it'll give Korny something to do, since he hates Destiny now. :P

I'll be sure to watch the entire thing before making presumptuous and ignorant comments about the content, since that's what sensible people do. :P

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, December 19, 2017, 21:06 (2316 days ago) @ Korny

I'll be sure to watch the entire thing before making presumptuous and ignorant comments about the content, since that's what sensible people do. :P

Why bother? Just watch the first 10% and read the thread about it. That's what the cool kids do!

Awesome.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, December 20, 2017, 07:23 (2316 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Thanks for sharing this.

The use of procedural generation for all the little world details like flowers along riverbanks or different bird sounds at different elevations was particularly clever.

The other thing that struck me was how much sway the narrative designer was allowed when it came to design issues. Seems like they built a true partnership between the narrative team and the game designers, with both teams accommodating each other and helping each other achieve their goals. I could be way off on this, but my understanding is that most studios operate with the design team taking the lead, and then the narrative team is tasked with working around that. (I’m oversimplifying, obviously... I’d love to hear from anyone who works in game development on this)

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Wednesday, December 20, 2017, 16:25 (2315 days ago) @ cheapLEY

NoClip is a pretty good at what they do.

I loved their Doom (2016) series.

Great, now I have to replay it again.

by Harmanimus @, Thursday, December 21, 2017, 00:35 (2315 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

Fun watch!

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, December 21, 2017, 09:38 (2315 days ago) @ cheapLEY

While I didn't learn a whole lot that they haven't already discussed elsewhere, it was great to see early builds of the game, and hear about some of the discarded ideas (honestly , a super complex Thunderjaw would have made for an awesome boss battle, especially after The Frozen Wilds established that Hephaestus is working on bigger and badder combat-based machines now).

I would have loved to hear more about Aloy's different iterations, since the digital art book showed that while she was there from the very first pitch, her age and style varied wildly (honestly, I wouldn't be against some comics set in her teens while she trained with Rost and learned how to make better use of her Focus)...

Fun watch!

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, December 21, 2017, 09:52 (2315 days ago) @ Korny

While I didn't learn a whole lot that they haven't already discussed elsewhere, it was great to see early builds of the game, and hear about some of the discarded ideas (honestly , a super complex Thunderjaw would have made for an awesome boss battle, especially after The Frozen Wilds established that Hephaestus is working on bigger and badder combat-based machines now).

There's always hope for the sequel. I would love to see more complex machines with a more puzzle-like element involved in figuring out how to take them down. That was part of what made combat so compelling for me on the first playthrough--encountering new machines and figuring out how they worked, what their weaknesses were, etc. But even as good as it was, it did become a little rote by the end. It all could boil down to "blow off the armor with tearblast arrows, expose the weak point, use whatever elemental damage type it's weak to." I'm not sure how you could make it much better than it was without adding a lot of possibly needless complexity, but I'd sure like to see them try to take that concept further.

Fun watch! *SP*

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, December 21, 2017, 10:08 (2315 days ago) @ cheapLEY

There's always hope for the sequel. I would love to see more complex machines with a more puzzle-like element involved in figuring out how to take them down. That was part of what made combat so compelling for me on the first playthrough--encountering new machines and figuring out how they worked, what their weaknesses were, etc. But even as good as it was, it did become a little rote by the end. It all could boil down to "blow off the armor with tearblast arrows, expose the weak point, use whatever elemental damage type it's weak to." I'm not sure how you could make it much better than it was without adding a lot of possibly needless complexity, but I'd sure like to see them try to take that concept further.

Something to counter Tearblast arrows, I imagine. Those were single-handedly a fun/challenge-killer from what I hear. The machines are getting smarter, and IIRC, the Tallneck in the Frostfigures sent a transmission about it getting hacked by a signal, so they may be observing Aloy and other hunters, and sending that info over to Hephaestus so that the new machines are more resilient towards powered projectiles.

That would totally increase the need to use traps and such, if they can stop your arrows in midair (maybe using a variant of the Behemoth's telekinesis?).

Fun watch! *SP*

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, December 21, 2017, 10:40 (2315 days ago) @ Korny

I think tearblast arrows (and the shotgun style thing) are actually a lot of fun to use. They're just way, way too powerful. That's part of what makes them fun, initially. Hitting a Sawtooth with one and watching it's armor plating just fall off is satisfying.

But you're not wrong in that it drastically lowers the challenge. They need to do something with them. Maybe make it necessary to be more accurate with their placement, so that they don't take of huge chunks of armor and only the armor plate they hit.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread