Loot boxes & Apple, a step in the right direction? (Gaming)

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, December 21, 2017, 09:18 (2311 days ago)

https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/21/16805674/apple-loot-box-app-store-games-odds-probability-disclosure

Looks like Apple will be requiring developers to disclose the odds on loot boxes. I think this is a step in the right direction & I hope more of the industry follows.

What do y'all think?

Loot boxes & Apple, a step in the right direction?

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Thursday, December 21, 2017, 09:30 (2311 days ago) @ dogcow

Seems like more reasons for people to complain. And let's face it, the person who micropurchases is the person that will complain the loudest. "The stats said 10% chance but I've bought 15 and not got what I wanted." So then, how do you enforce anything? I can't see how you can, that's why they are called "odds" not "evens"...it's not always fair and guaranteed. So at the end of the day, this disclosure of data is pointless but creates even more complaints.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, December 21, 2017, 09:43 (2311 days ago) @ ManKitten

Seems like more reasons for people to complain. And let's face it, the person who micropurchases is the person that will complain the loudest. "The stats said 10% chance but I've bought 15 and not got what I wanted." So then, how do you enforce anything? I can't see how you can, that's why they are called "odds" not "evens"...it's not always fair and guaranteed. So at the end of the day, this disclosure of data is pointless but creates even more complaints.

If even one person sees a drop rate of 1% (or whatever percent) on whatever thing they want and decides to not spend their money on that slot machine, then it's not pointless at all.

More information available to consumers is almost always better than less information, especially when it comes to things that are inherently predatory and deceitful.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, December 21, 2017, 09:43 (2311 days ago) @ ManKitten

It seems completely sensible. It’s basically the LEAST they could do.

by Funkmon @, Thursday, December 21, 2017, 10:09 (2311 days ago) @ ManKitten

I think you're right, but we need to look at the big picture here. Apple is trying to eliminate predatory microtransactions, while still keeping the platform alive for those who fund their games in this manner. This is a way to help that. Developers will be disinclined to offer lootboxes with hilariously low payouts as they will have to disclose that.

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Thursday, December 21, 2017, 10:43 (2311 days ago) @ Funkmon

I think you're right, but we need to look at the big picture here. Apple is trying to eliminate predatory microtransactions, while still keeping the platform alive for those who fund their games in this manner. This is a way to help that. Developers will be disinclined to offer lootboxes with hilariously low payouts as they will have to disclose that.

Which is fine but if you want to look at the "big picture" I would rather Apple focus on in-game pop up purchase offers and trickster adds in apps. But this scourge isn't a hot topic at the moment so they'll look the other way at kids running up huge bills without realizing what they are doing. In the realm of microtransactions and "looking out for you" this statistical info doesn't move the needle. It's frivolous information to appease whiners.

This one is easy though.

by Funkmon @, Thursday, December 21, 2017, 12:15 (2311 days ago) @ ManKitten

Those are hard.

iap can be disabled by device and by account.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Friday, December 22, 2017, 13:32 (2310 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

Yes, a step in the right direction

by Kahzgul, Thursday, December 21, 2017, 14:02 (2311 days ago) @ dogcow

https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/21/16805674/apple-loot-box-app-store-games-odds-probability-disclosure

Looks like Apple will be requiring developers to disclose the odds on loot boxes. I think this is a step in the right direction & I hope more of the industry follows.

What do y'all think?

There's still not really a means of enforcing the odds that are disclosed or preventing a company from weighting odds for some players and/or changing odds on a whim. Of course, that's also absurd to think Apple would be in charge of such things - there should be an internet gaming commission that ensures fair play in all things online gambling related.

But this is good. More information on purchases is almost never a bad thing. I applaud apple for this action.

Activision skirting it

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, December 22, 2017, 10:16 (2310 days ago) @ dogcow

According to Jim Sterling, in China there is in fact such regulation regarding loot boxes. The fix for overwatch? In China, you buy virtual currency, then use the virtual currency to buy the loot boxes. The real money exchange is a deterministic transaction. You pay X dollars, you get X virtual currency. Then the loot boxes are purchased using virtual currency. Since you aren't spending money to buy the loot boxes, this creates a loophole. This only exists in the Chinese version of the game.

I hope the ESRB cracks down soon, or we are going to have people who know nothing about games or computers passing laws.

Activision skirting it

by Kahzgul, Sunday, December 24, 2017, 02:28 (2308 days ago) @ Cody Miller

we are going to have people who know nothing about games or computers passing laws.

Welcome to the last 20 years of cybersecurity.

For those growing resentful of Loot Boxes and Eververse...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, December 22, 2017, 13:32 (2310 days ago) @ dogcow

Someone on Reddit shared your sentiments, and now we have a new Bungie emblem to commemorate the direction that they're taking! :P

[image]

For those growing resentful of Loot Boxes and Eververse...

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Friday, December 22, 2017, 13:57 (2310 days ago) @ Korny

Someone on Reddit shared your sentiments, and now we have a new Bungie emblem to commemorate the direction that they're taking! :P

[image]

Hilarious!

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread