Music of the Spheres has leaked (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, December 24, 2017, 23:09 (2314 days ago)
edited by Cody Miller, Monday, December 25, 2017, 00:03

Get it before it's removed. It's being posted everywhere, so it's out of the bag now.

Google Drive link in this reddit thread. (Check the comments).

Looks like the Marty Army will have a very Merry Christmas. I guess online petitions actually work! :-p

Gone Already.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Sunday, December 24, 2017, 23:50 (2314 days ago) @ Cody Miller

But it’s coming back on soon, apparently.

That’s one hell of a Christmas gift.

Gone Already.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, December 25, 2017, 00:01 (2314 days ago) @ Morpheus

But it’s coming back on soon, apparently.

That’s one hell of a Christmas gift.

There's a working google drive link in the comments.

Is this ahead of a real release, or some guy just leaking

by Funkmon @, Monday, December 25, 2017, 07:27 (2313 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Funkmon, Monday, December 25, 2017, 07:38

Also, at least 1, 3, and 6 don't seem to work for me.

EDIT: gotem. This is good stuff guys.

The Destiny soundtrack seemed to be a hodgepodge of music chunks. This is an album...and there's a lot of stuff in here I have never heard before, or have a very bad memory.

Aww yeahhhhh

By the way, it's like really good.

Can't stop the signal.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Monday, December 25, 2017, 07:55 (2313 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Wow.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Monday, December 25, 2017, 09:25 (2313 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

My wife and I have this on while we're doing other things. The Ruin (Venus) literally pulled us away and drove us to tears.

My wife was doing dishes, and we were talking. She stopped and looked over at her computer. We both walked over, and just listened. After The Ruin ended, she looked at me and said "I know how this sounds, and how much weight this carries, but this is some Jupiter level shit (in regards to Holst and Jupiter [Bringer of Jollity]).

Marty. What the heck, man? This is incredible stuff.

The Ecstasy, wow!

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Wednesday, December 27, 2017, 10:16 (2311 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

My wife and I have this on while we're doing other things. The Ruin (Venus) literally pulled us away and drove us to tears.

My wife was doing dishes, and we were talking. She stopped and looked over at her computer. We both walked over, and just listened. After The Ruin ended, she looked at me and said "I know how this sounds, and how much weight this carries, but this is some Jupiter level shit (in regards to Holst and Jupiter [Bringer of Jollity]).

Marty. What the heck, man? This is incredible stuff.

So good. A couple parts of "The Ecstasy" really spoke to me. Those voices @ about 1/2 way through, & man, that piano at the end, wow.

Listening to "The Prison" now... wow.

Wow.

by Avateur @, Thursday, December 28, 2017, 20:16 (2310 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

The Tribulation may as well be from Halo 2. All I think about and get a vibe for when I hear this track is Halo 2.

Arstechnica

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, December 27, 2017, 12:24 (2311 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Hope is Kindled.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, December 25, 2017, 10:21 (2313 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by INSANEdrive, Monday, December 25, 2017, 10:24

So I'm generally a audio format snob, where all my musical content must be .flac.

Yet... since it took quite a struggle for this to get out to the masses, I suppose I can make an exception, considering the Maestro involved. ;D

Thank you.

New Post and Links

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, December 25, 2017, 10:43 (2313 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'm 90 seconds in...

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, December 28, 2017, 13:41 (2310 days ago) @ Cody Miller

and I've got a lump in my throat.

Glorious!

Wow.

by cheapLEY @, Monday, December 25, 2017, 10:47 (2313 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It's better than I imagined.

I can't wait to get home and put my Sennheisers on to give it a proper listen.

Music of the Spheres has leaked

by Avateur @, Monday, December 25, 2017, 11:26 (2313 days ago) @ Cody Miller

And Kotaku just picked it up. It's like in D2 when the Traveler re-awakens and sends a signal out to the galaxy and beyond. No stopping it now. And these are some really gorgeoous and well done tracks. What a great Christmas!

https://kotaku.com/four-years-later-destinys-music-of-the-spheres-has-lea-1821572335

The update is hearwarming

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, December 25, 2017, 18:29 (2313 days ago) @ Avateur

Marty's email to Jason Schreier:

My wife and I spent the afternoon with my now 93 year old father and we showed him that people were finally able to hear this work. It made our Christmas even better. My mother, his wife of over 60 years died a couple years ago and although she loved listening and shared it with some of her friends (she was a musician) she never understood why it wasn’t released.

The Hope *SP*

by UnrealCh13f @, San Luis Obispo, CA, Monday, December 25, 2017, 12:15 (2313 days ago) @ Cody Miller

That transition into Hope For The Future makes the entire McCartney track make sense and much more triumphant that it ever would have been standalone.

Jaw dropped.

The Hope *SP*

by Avateur @, Monday, December 25, 2017, 12:59 (2313 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f
edited by Avateur, Monday, December 25, 2017, 13:10

Totally agree! And I already liked it to begin with. The entirety of the Music of the Spheres is pretty fantastic, and I'm really grateful that we finally got the chance to hear it!

Same. Totally great record.

by Funkmon @, Monday, December 25, 2017, 13:28 (2313 days ago) @ Avateur

This is Marty's best stuff I have ever heard, IMO. DEM FEELINGS MAN.

And, again, I liked Hope for the Future, but now it's like the crowning moment of the whole thing. God I need this thing in lossless and some high quality vinyl bootleg pressing.

The Hope *SP*

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, December 25, 2017, 15:27 (2313 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

That transition into Hope For The Future makes the entire McCartney track make sense and much more triumphant that it ever would have been standalone.

Jaw dropped.

This is actually true! The way it was released before was… laughable.

The Hope *SP*

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, December 25, 2017, 16:07 (2313 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Jaw dropped.

This is actually true! The way it was released before was… laughable.

It's practically a metaphor.

Day off?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, December 26, 2017, 01:06 (2312 days ago) @ Cody Miller

How the hell is all this stuff still up on youtube and soundcloud?

Either Bungie doesn't really care (in which case, send me the supercut), or their legal team is really bad.

Day off?

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Tuesday, December 26, 2017, 06:40 (2312 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Either Bungie doesn't really care (in which case, send me the supercut), or their legal team is really bad.

Or else they know how it leaked and how it would look if they responded to the leak.

Day off?

by Robot Chickens, Tuesday, December 26, 2017, 08:05 (2312 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Probably not as black and white as these two options. I’m betting they care, and I’m betting some are happy, some are frustrated and some are every other range you could think of. As an entity, they also may know that doing anything about it would kill almost any goodwill they have. The whole thread was full of people expecting evil Bungie to try and suppress this poor Robin Hood fellow. Imagine what the community would be like if Bungie played into that narrative. Acknowledging it and saying they’re okay with it also looks weak and would not work out well in the news cycle. There’s really nothing for them to do other than ignore it.

^ This

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Tuesday, December 26, 2017, 08:32 (2312 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

- No text -

Day off?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, December 26, 2017, 09:01 (2312 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

Probably not as black and white as these two options. I’m betting they care, and I’m betting some are happy, some are frustrated and some are every other range you could think of. As an entity, they also may know that doing anything about it would kill almost any goodwill they have. The whole thread was full of people expecting evil Bungie to try and suppress this poor Robin Hood fellow. Imagine what the community would be like if Bungie played into that narrative. Acknowledging it and saying they’re okay with it also looks weak and would not work out well in the news cycle. There’s really nothing for them to do other than ignore it.

Then why the hell didn’t Bungie release this officially and get all that goodwill for themselves?!

Day off?

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Tuesday, December 26, 2017, 10:03 (2312 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Probably someone at the top is still mad at Marty or something. There really isn’t any other reason I can think of.

Day off?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, December 26, 2017, 10:09 (2312 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Probably someone at the top is still mad at Marty or something. There really isn’t any other reason I can think of.

On reading all the wonderful comments in the reddit thread, I might be beginning to see why not… Many people are saying things like "This just reminds me of the Destiny we never had".

Truth.

by EffortlessFury @, Tuesday, December 26, 2017, 17:55 (2312 days ago) @ Cody Miller

On reading all the wonderful comments in the reddit thread, I might be beginning to see why not… Many people are saying things like "This just reminds me of the Destiny we never had".

Honestly, I'm even closer to completely abandoning the series for this very reason. I mean, I'm already extremely distant from the game; I've not yet completed CoO out of boredom. This music does remind me of the tone and potential we all thought Destiny had...and that many of us feel it fell short of.

It doesn't have to be that.

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, December 26, 2017, 20:27 (2312 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

If they release it and it's great, then they look like shit for dumping Marty. If they release it and it's bad, they get shit for putting out a bad album.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, December 26, 2017, 20:55 (2312 days ago) @ Funkmon

If they release it and it's great, then they look like shit for dumping Marty. If they release it and it's bad, they get shit for putting out a bad album.

It’s released and it’s great. And they already got massive shit for dumping him. And they still used Music of the Spheres in Des2ny!

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, December 26, 2017, 21:24 (2312 days ago) @ Cody Miller

And now they're getting more shit. See the problem?

by EffortlessFury @, Tuesday, December 26, 2017, 22:04 (2312 days ago) @ Funkmon

No. There is no problem because it was never going to be shit. 75% or more of MotS was listenable in some form according to the lawsuit records. I've never heard anyone say anything negative about any part of MotS. It was never ever possible for it to be regarded as bad.

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Wednesday, December 27, 2017, 06:45 (2311 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

They're getting shit, as in, people are all "Raaah screw Bungie", not "Wow this is shit".

by EffortlessFury @, Wednesday, December 27, 2017, 09:14 (2311 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

Funkmon:

Cody:

It's released and it's great.

Funkmon:

Me:
It was never going to be bad. There was never an option where getting shit for releasing a bad product was possible. Thus, not releasing was the only way to get shit. Granted they might have gotten shit from people who felt Destiny hadn't lived up to the music, but that's the bed Bungie made and needs to sleep in, IMO.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, December 27, 2017, 12:19 (2311 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

Me:
It was never going to be bad. There was never an option where getting shit for releasing a bad product was possible. Thus, not releasing was the only way to get shit. Granted they might have gotten shit from people who felt Destiny hadn't lived up to the music, but that's the bed Bungie made and needs to sleep in, IMO.

Correct.

Releasing it themselves minimizes harm to Bungie. Because in both a leak and official release scenarios, people hear the music and feel what they feel. BUT, in the leak scenario there is now resentment towards Bungie for holding it back.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, December 27, 2017, 01:10 (2311 days ago) @ Funkmon

No. The least amount of shit they could have gotten would be releasing it themselves.

I think they think the least would be achieved by no release

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, December 27, 2017, 05:20 (2311 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Which was always a gamble, one that failed.

by EffortlessFury @, Wednesday, December 27, 2017, 09:15 (2311 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

Correct.

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, December 27, 2017, 18:40 (2311 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

- No text -

Musical Prequel

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Wednesday, December 27, 2017, 08:23 (2311 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

So MotS was supposed to be a "musical prequel" that shared themes from the final game, but was not intended to be the soundtrack of the game. I wonder if when they fired Marty they ended up using more of this album than was originally intended? In that case they may have decided that in releasing this album they might cause consumer confusion because people would assume this is the Destiny soundtrack instead of a related work?

Because some folks might care what he has to say...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, December 26, 2017, 14:42 (2312 days ago) @ Cody Miller

An ex-Bungie employee (and one of Destiny's original writers) has this humblebrag to share regarding the leak:

One of my fondest #Destiny memories was writing a thematic summary of the game for @MartyTheElder that he gave to @PaulMcCartney. Not every day something you write (“Hope shines brightest in the dark”) ends up being sung by a Beatle. Glad #MOTS is finally out for all to hear.

Good stuff all around!

Because some folks might care what he has to say...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, December 26, 2017, 15:10 (2312 days ago) @ Korny

An ex-Bungie employee (and one of Destiny's original writers) has

Oh you.

[image]

Music of the Spheres has leaked - Fan cut accuracy?

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Wednesday, December 27, 2017, 10:30 (2311 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Someone (a couple someones?) made a fan-cut of what they thought MotS would have been, it was pretty decent, but just a compilation of music that was already out in the wild. It seems they were pretty close, but the real thing is much better.

Whoever leaked this, thanks!

Music of the Spheres has leaked

by OS_Epsilon, Wednesday, December 27, 2017, 10:49 (2311 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Hi everyone. I am one of the guys who leaked it. Just wanna say, you all are very welcome and answer some questions...

Someone, who will remain anonymous (he and I know who he is), helped us get it and leak it who had a CD copy.

We (Tlohtzin and I) made one mistake in our final mockup.

What were you most surprised about?

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Wednesday, December 27, 2017, 10:56 (2311 days ago) @ OS_Epsilon

In the final mix, what most surprised you after having tried to duplicate it yourself?

What were you most surprised about?

by OS_Epsilon, Thursday, December 28, 2017, 05:54 (2310 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

That E. 1 from the Rose actually comes AFTER E. 2...

Music of the Spheres has leaked +7

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Wednesday, December 27, 2017, 14:05 (2311 days ago) @ OS_Epsilon

Can I just say I appreciate your efforts regarding MotS?

Music of the Spheres has leaked +7

by OS_Epsilon, Thursday, December 28, 2017, 05:55 (2310 days ago) @ dogcow

And I appreciate you saying that <3

That guy ain't gonna get in trouble, is he?

by Funkmon @, Thursday, December 28, 2017, 06:37 (2310 days ago) @ OS_Epsilon

Also, did you get any hint in your efforts as to exactly why they didn't release the record?

Marty speaks again:

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, December 27, 2017, 18:44 (2311 days ago) @ Cody Miller

From twitter:

I'm going to eventually (soon™) do a blog post with my version of the entire Music of the Spheres story, but until then let me correct one detail. MotS was finished and ready to ship 5 years ago, December 2012.

Also, in that reddit thread, he commented saying he might do another AMA, and also mentions that he wants to tell his side of that story, possibly in his memoirs, and says that he didn't sign and NDAs.

I'm almost at the point where I'm not sure I want to hear that story, it's like listening to your parents fight or something, but it seems like it might eventually be told.

Marty speaks again:

by Avateur @, Wednesday, December 27, 2017, 18:56 (2311 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Eh, one of the parents is long gone. I’m more than down with hearing what the other has to say, and it was also great reading Staten’s thoughts. This current Bungie is definitely not what it used to be. We can barely get transparency with shady things like XP rigging and all the other controversies swirling lately. Maybe they need to move on from Destiny in three years and try something new and more soulful. Jason Jones appears to be heading in the “new” direction, so hey.

Marty speaks again:

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, December 27, 2017, 19:02 (2311 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I'm almost at the point where I'm not sure I want to hear that story, it's like listening to your parents fight or something, but it seems like it might eventually be told.

Just skip that chapter in my Bungie book then.

Marty speaks again:

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, December 27, 2017, 20:52 (2311 days ago) @ Cody Miller

By the time that is finally actually a thing I can read, and I'm old and grey, maybe I'll feel differently.

(:

+1

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, December 27, 2017, 21:46 (2311 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

Marty speaks again:

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, December 28, 2017, 00:23 (2311 days ago) @ cheapLEY

By the time that is finally actually a thing I can read, and I'm old and grey, maybe I'll feel differently.

(:

If I finish it more quickly than 6 years I'll be satisfied. Master of Doom took 6 years to write and research.

It feels so much more alive and playful.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Friday, December 29, 2017, 07:58 (2309 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, January 01, 2018, 17:58 (2306 days ago) @ Vortech

Do you think Marty was imagining this while composing it?

[image]

I can't wait for the Hope for the Future remix music video

by Coaxkez, Tuesday, January 02, 2018, 07:37 (2305 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Featuring random chickens.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Saturday, January 06, 2018, 12:29 (2301 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Chickens, maybe. I could see how it sounds like that (though more curious than I would ever attribute to a chicken as they are pretty dumb.). Cayde, not really.

Ecstacy. I Cried Only A Little!

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Friday, January 05, 2018, 18:18 (2302 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Marty speaks again:

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Friday, January 05, 2018, 21:10 (2302 days ago) @ Cody Miller

In his latest Tweet, Marty wonders:

"Has anyone ever figured out the meaning of the the words to “Eighth” which is also in The Hope?"

"I’m not sure any of the Alpha Lupi folks did."

There is still a mystery ^ (or two? I have not forgotten, this dates back a number of years - could be the same mystery?), which would be very fun to figure out.

Do we have any Music Majors in the house?

Marty speaks again: Eighth, & lyrics in latin.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Monday, January 08, 2018, 17:35 (2299 days ago) @ Pyromancy

"Has anyone ever figured out the meaning of the the words to “Eighth” which is also in The Hope?"

There is still a mystery ^ (or two? I have not forgotten, this dates back a number of years - could be the same mystery?), which would be very fun to figure out.

Specifically:

Has anyone ever figured out the meaning of the words to "Eighth" which is also in The Hope?"

Wait, I thought there were no words in Eighth... Wait, It's Latin! Anyone familiar enough w/ latin to be able to do this?

Listening to The Hope now. Yeah, there's no way I'm going to be able to transcribe those.

Marty speaks again: Eighth, & lyrics in latin.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Monday, January 08, 2018, 17:44 (2299 days ago) @ dogcow
edited by dogcow, Monday, January 08, 2018, 17:48

Specifically:

Has anyone ever figured out the meaning of the words to "Eighth" which is also in The Hope?"

Wait, I thought there were no words in Eighth... Wait, It's Latin! Anyone familiar enough w/ latin to be able to do this?

Listening to The Hope now. Yeah, there's no way I'm going to be able to transcribe those.

Yeah, now I can't help but think the lyrics to Hope for the Future are clues to finding some lost secret in the Vault of Glass. THANKS PYRO! ;)

Some hope for the future
Some wait for the call
To say that our destiny
Will be the best of all

And we will build bridges
Up to the sky
And heavenly lights
Surrounding you and I

Hope shines brightest in the dark
Where nothing's ever seen
Lighting undiscovered places
No-one's ever been

Edit: I've always thought the Alpha Lupi ARG was never fully solved. Maybe the latin lyrics were the final clue.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread